AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

16 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

yes.. but not an awakend wyldwood... there is a difference... a rather important one for Sylvaneth :D

'Ahh all trees look alike to me' he grumbles in Dwarven. 

Shame really, I keep looking at alarielle and small force to build around her, because in theory the playstyle should be brilliant fun. 

Maybe one day... well probably

The new one has a few tricks, the kit has a small, a medium and a large piece. If you have multiple kits, you're free to mix and match the pieces for your 3-6, and that lets you play around with the size a lot. The smallest version fits a unit of ten dryads snugly. 

13 minutes ago, Kaylethia said:

The new one has a few tricks, the kit has a small, a medium and a large piece. If you have multiple kits, you're free to mix and match the pieces for your 3-6, and that lets you play around with the size a lot. The smallest version fits a unit of ten dryads snugly. 

I also saw someone using 4 pieces to create a thinner rectangular wood so it could fit more easily. That was on the up and up as well I assume? 

Edited by Kramer

12 hours ago, Nqshou said:

Hello guys,
do you have in mind a list aggro with Drycha and mass Kurnoth Hunters? I would like to try the potential of this type of list. Thanks

She's not bad and KHs are good.  You could do Dreadwood with this build.  It is not too dissimilar as to what S&Ws was talking about a few pages ago in reference to Hugh Laurie's list that he, I think went 5-0 with?  3x5 Spites, 30 Dryads, Drycha, BWraith, Drycha, then a couple units of KHs, one Swords, one Scythes.   See where that takes you?  

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

She's not bad and KHs are good.  You could do Dreadwood with this build.  It is not too dissimilar as to what S&Ws was talking about a few pages ago in reference to Hugh Laurie's list that he, I think went 5-0 with?  3x5 Spites, 30 Dryads, Drycha, BWraith, Drycha, then a couple units of KHs, one Swords, one Scythes.   See where that takes you?  

Hi there,

Just established a list with drycha and alarielle in dreadwood like,

Alarielle,

Drycha,

Arch-revenant 

Branch.... the one with the dryad factory,

Outcast with 3 x 5 spites,

9 kurnoths with scythes,

1 sptiteswarm hive.

Six units to set up is not that bad. Seems like a swiss knife to me. TP the khurnots where needed and enjoy. 

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

not sure where I got this rule from really

In the Designers commentary for the Sylvaneth BT.

yes, turns out they’ve rereleased the Wyldwood warscroll. Basically does everything an Awakened wyldwood does without letting us get our faction buffs/teleporting.

FA9EB43F-6E7D-4CE3-B616-5F5211E7F6E4.png.2a1a689c54dd7657d53366648b34c7e4.png

It does however block LoS, which is a huge benefit for us vs. most shooty armies. 

@Mirage8112 nice thats the model i have seen. So its not a awakened wildwood we cant use it for our buffs. I wanna make a sylvaneth list , but first i wanna test withh tts( amazing program i discovered during lock down ) :)

om tts there is only new wildwood with 3 parts as triangle. So you say when i place a new one on the board i can use 6 piece of that if i wanna put into a big unit? My problem with first test is that opponent split  his units everywhere and i cant place many wildwood because i have no space.  How you risolve that in competitive games? 

Edited by Tizianolol

On 7/24/2020 at 8:32 PM, Tizianolol said:

@Mirage8112 nice thats the model i have seen. So its not a awakened wildwood we cant use it for our buffs. I wanna make a sylvaneth list , but first i wanna test withh tts( amazing program i discovered during lock down ) :)

om tts there is only new wildwood with 3 parts as triangle. So you say when i place a new one on the board i can use 6 piece of that if i wanna put into a big unit? My problem with first test is that opponent split  his units everywhere and i cant place many wildwood because i have no space.  How you risolve that in competitive games? 

Well... I have exactly the same problem. Going first SHOULD give you the option to place one somewhere if there is some room.

About the forest. Wyldwood and awakend wyldwood use the same models (atm 3-6 of the new bases or 1 old base) if it's placed as regular terrain it's a wyldwood, if it's placed as faction terrain or summoned forest (spell, TLA, acorn) then it's an awakend wyldwood.

Edited by Aezeal
  • Like 1

Hey, first post here and before my list I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread! Been a long read but very educational for a new player like me. 

I currently have only the SC box and Sylvaneth half of the Looncurse, and I've been trying to come up with list(s) that I could work towards from the minis I have. This first ones explores the less popular Oakenbrow glade and Lords of the Clan batallion, both providing buffs to our big guys. 

Oakenlords 1.0

Allegiance: Sylvaneth - Mortal Realm: Ghyran - Glade: Oakenbrow

LEADERS
Arch-Revenant (100)
Arch-Revenant (100)
Treelord Ancient (260) - General - Command Trait : Regal Old-growth - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Treelord Ancient (260) - Artefact : Dawnflask - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Branchwraith (80) - Artefact : Acorn of the Ages - Deepwood Spell : Verdurous Harmony

UNITS
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190) - Greatswords
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (190) - Greatswords

BEHEMOTHS
Treelord (180)
Treelord (180)

BATTALIONS
Lords of the Clan (60)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS Gladewyrm (30)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 123

The theorycrafting behind this is to have three forests on the table (one backfield and two in offensive positions), and two "battlegroups" of AR+TLA+TL+3xKH with the tree revs to capture and dryads to hold objectives, with Branchwraith starting in the backfield with summoning duties and possibly moving in to support the offence in later turns. I feel like this list has some hopefully viable synergies in the "battlegroups", doesn't rely too heavily on magic and isn't lean too heavily on a single unit like Alarielle. 

The main buff from Oakenbrow is improving the bracketing of the big trees, and the batallion bonus is D3 mortal wounds on all units within 6" that goes off on a 2.

Now as I've never played AoS, please roast my idea! :D

Hey everybody,

I am new to AoS and chose the Sylvaneth, because i love the models and from what I have watched and read up on them their playstyle (mobility, summoning, teleporting etc. instead of just brute force) seems super interesting to me.

I've gotten 2 Start collecting boxes, 2 Units of Kurnoth Hunters and 1 Box of Spite/Tree Revenants so far.

Going from there i have come up with this first 2k list and would like some feedback on it, if it's a solid list at all that will be able to hold its own. I am not looking to be a meta-crusher or anything, but I'd like to be able to put up a good fight once I've figured out how to play this list.

Note, that I am planning to convert atleast one of the Branchwyches from the SC to a Branchwraith and that the Bow Kurnoth were bought already built with them, else i might have gone for Greatswords.

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Sylvaneth) [1,980pts] ++

+ Leader +

Arch-Revenant [100pts]

Branchwraith [80pts]: 1. Throne of Vines, Chalice of Nectar, General, Nurtured by Magic

Treelord Ancient [260pts]: 2. Regrowth

Treelord Ancient [260pts]: 5. Verdurous Harmony

+ Battleline +

Dryads [270pts]: 3x 10 Dryads

Tree-Revenants [80pts]: 5 Tree-Revenants, Enchanted Blade, Glade Banner, Waypipes

+ Other +

Kurnoth Hunters [200pts]: 3 Kurnoth Hunters, Kurnoth Greatbow

Kurnoth Hunters [400pts]: 2x 3 Kurnoth Hunters, Kurnoth Scythe

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Outcasts [280pts]
. Spite-Revenants: 5 Spite-Revenants

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Sylvaneth: Gnarlroot

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Spiteswarm Hive [50pts]

++ Total: [1,980pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I've seen lists with multiple Artifacts on Heroes, i might have missed something there and all that casting power on the Branchwraith might be a bit overkill, not sure :)

With this I would need to buy 3 more boxes of Spites, 1 of Kurnoth, the Arch - Rev, the Endless Spells, some extra Dryads for Summoning ( I would guess 1-2 more boxes?) and 3 (?) Wyldwoods.

Please let me know if I've made some glaring mistakes here and/or if the amounts of units to still get seem correct to you.

Thanks for your Feedback and I am looking forward to being part of the Glade, 

Cheers!

8 hours ago, Liam- said:

I've seen lists with multiple Artifacts on Heroes, i might have missed something there and all that casting power on the Branchwraith might be a bit overkill, not sure :)

With this I would need to buy 3 more boxes of Spites, 1 of Kurnoth, the Arch - Rev, the Endless Spells, some extra Dryads for Summoning ( I would guess 1-2 more boxes?) and 3 (?) Wyldwoods.

Please let me know if I've made some glaring mistakes here and/or if the amounts of units to still get seem correct to you.

Thanks for your Feedback and I am looking forward to being part of the Glade, 

Cheers!

Note that you can only have a single artifact on a hero.  This is in the Core rules (looking at the free rules pdf, this is on page 17, "Allegience Abilities"), with the except below:

ARTEFACTS OF POWER These treasures are borne to war by mighty heroes. If the allegiance abilities for your army include any artefacts of power, you can choose or roll for one to be carried by a Hero from your army. You may choose one additional Hero to have an artefact for each warscroll battalion you include in your army. A Hero cannot have more than one artefact of power, and an army may not include duplicates of the same artefact of power. Artefacts of power have no effect on attacks made by a hero’s mount unless noted otherwise.

For other notes, are you looking to run a single unit of 6 scythes?  Or 2 units of 3?  Similarly, your dryads?  Is that 1 unit of 30?  or 3 units of 10?  Because you already have your battleline requirements met by your spites, so it seems like a good idea to have that as a single unit of 30.  Though, this might just be BattleScribe having terrible formatting.

27 minutes ago, brattenbergus said:

Is the cost for 3 Kurnoth Hunters 200points? When Im playing around in Warscroll Builder it says they cost 190points.

Their current cost is 190 as per the new General's Handbook 2020. Warscroll Builder is up to date!

15 hours ago, readercolin said:

Note that you can only have a single artifact on a hero.  This is in the Core rules (looking at the free rules pdf, this is on page 17, "Allegience Abilities"), with the except below:

ARTEFACTS OF POWER These treasures are borne to war by mighty heroes. If the allegiance abilities for your army include any artefacts of power, you can choose or roll for one to be carried by a Hero from your army. You may choose one additional Hero to have an artefact for each warscroll battalion you include in your army. A Hero cannot have more than one artefact of power, and an army may not include duplicates of the same artefact of power. Artefacts of power have no effect on attacks made by a hero’s mount unless noted otherwise.

For other notes, are you looking to run a single unit of 6 scythes?  Or 2 units of 3?  Similarly, your dryads?  Is that 1 unit of 30?  or 3 units of 10?  Because you already have your battleline requirements met by your spites, so it seems like a good idea to have that as a single unit of 30.  Though, this might just be BattleScribe having terrible formatting.

I think i just didn't state it clearly, i meant having multiple artifacts across the heroes in your army not multiples on one. Thanks for clearing the rules up on that one, i think i must've forgotten that part or skipped over it.

It's 1 unit of 30 Dryads and 1 unit of 6 Scythe Kurnoths. Battlescribe just shows them in increments for some reason, but you can still summise from the rest of the formatting I suppose :)

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys how the battletrait "places of power " works exacly? If i choose awakened wildwood, i  summon another wildwood  in front of me and i teleport 30 dryads on the second wildwood, im still immune to battleshock? Its seems so good!

The new Wyldwood won't be a place of power. 

Only the one you pick before starting the game is a place of power (or other certain terrain piece) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Xil said:

The new Wyldwood won't be a place of power. 

Only the one you pick before starting the game is a place of power (or other certain terrain piece) 

As he said: you pick a specific piece of terrain that becomes your place of power, not a terraintype.

On 7/20/2020 at 6:08 PM, Mirage8112 said:

So the new rules lay out the following steps:

1. Players pick the scenario, and then place objective tokens
2. We pick terrain from a pre-set list. 3 from primary and 2 from secondary 
3. Players roll off, with the winner picking player A, or Player B .
4. Players A then sets up ALL the terrain 
5. Player B then chooses which territory they wish to use. 

The question is when faction terrain should be set up. The little bubble that mentioned tournament play mentions that tournaments will likely  have terrain already set up, in which case players roll off to see which territory they will use. Players who have faction terrain are instructed to set up thier faction terrain before territories are determined.  Can’t place your free wood 1” away from enemy territory if you don’t know which territory is friendly. I assume the placement is the same with matched play games that happen outside tournaments.

So the battlefield setup rules definitely imply that we would place forests before choosing territories. That is a pretty harsh nerf since you could end up dropping it in your opponent's deployment zone.

However do note that the "Battlefields at events" box on the same pages says to just roll off for territories "instead of using the battlefield set up instructions described above". 

So now I am confused. Does that mean we deploy terrain after selecting territories at tournaments but before selecting territories in pickup games? I can't believe there are 9 paragraphs of rules for terrain setup but we still need an FAQ lol.