AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/4/2018 at 2:17 AM, Aezeal said:

How effective is the alpha strike these days assuming 2 strats. The redeployed @ 6" unit will likely be in combat. But how often do the 3 units you can move reach it?

Depends on the units. Drycha with an extra 9" move, Alarielle with an extra 16", both of these will probably be safe to get in. But Durthu or hunters, with only an extra 5"? Probably not so much

If you start at 24" then even Drycha still has a 6" charge assuming she's positioned ideally. So.… assuming you roll 2 stratagems you can only reliably assume to have 6 hunters and Alarielle in combat and you'd have to "waste" Alarielle's command ability on that and have those 2 units positioned very far away from the rest of the army? I've never seen it (obviously) but it hardly seems THAT much of a winning strategy. Are experiences with it so much better than I'm assuming? Ofcourse you can try to get a forest near enemy lines and teleport next turn but that will inherently still leave those newly teleported units at 9".

On 7/31/2018 at 4:03 PM, romhi said:

I am not sure that a battalion is needed or worth it in a 1k point game, but fluff wins most of my decisions too. First you need to find candidates for the two artefacts and the trait you have. If you add the fact that you dont have any forest generator unless you burn Drycha's spell slot I would recommend a TreeLord Ancient with either a b.wych or b.wraith. That would put you to 960 points. Fill the remaining 40 points with endless spell(s) and you are golden.

Cool thx for your reply! I also think it’s not worth it to take a battalion in a 1000 point game, but as you say fun to play according to lore and i only play non-competetive.

7 hours ago, jake3991 said:

Anyone know if you can take additional woods in your army list? It has a points cost in GHB 18' it just happens to be zero. In the past you could bring extra to set up before the battle started for something like 40 points.

Yeah you can bring more. They are free for us. Start buying them now, you are going to need a fair few to effectively use the army 

8 hours ago, jake3991 said:

Anyone know if you can take additional woods in your army list? It has a points cost in GHB 18' it just happens to be zero. In the past you could bring extra to set up before the battle started for something like 40 points.

You can't set them up before the battle, couldn't do this in the past either. You could and can place 1 wyld wood before the game starts... you can bring more but those can only be placed after using (and within the limit of) abilities or spells that place them.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth  -  Mortal Realms: Ghyran

So this is my first list after GH18
LEADERS
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior
- Artefact : Ghyrstrike
Treelord Ancient (300)
- Artefact : Ranu's Lamentiri
- Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact : The Silverwood Circlet
- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell : Throne of Vines

UNITS
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
-Scythes

BATTALIONS
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Household (100)

Any opinion ?

56 minutes ago, vesco said:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth  -  Mortal Realms: Ghyran

So this is my first list after GH18
LEADERS
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior
- Artefact : Ghyrstrike
Treelord Ancient (300)
- Artefact : Ranu's Lamentiri
- Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact : The Silverwood Circlet
- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell : Throne of Vines

UNITS
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
-Scythes

BATTALIONS
Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)
Household (100)

Any opinion ?

Nearly same as list I was looking to run only difference was I was using the knight incantor for is auto dispel 

Still looking for thoughts on transporting Sylvaneth via plane/shipped box! I'm most concerned about my TLA as he is the pointy-est of the bunch with lots of bits that can easily break under any amount of pressure. I think Dryads, Hunters, and Revs can all be safely put in a box with interior padding and a bunch of packing peanuts without much cause for concern.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

Still looking for thoughts on transporting Sylvaneth via plane/shipped box! I'm most concerned about my TLA as he is the pointy-est of the bunch with lots of bits that can easily break under any amount of pressure. I think Dryads, Hunters, and Revs can all be safely put in a box with interior padding and a bunch of packing peanuts without much cause for concern.

Thanks!

When I moved to Japan I shipped my Ad Mech and Slyvaneth (both fiddly armies) using the official GW carry cases and they were perfectly fine. I had to cut out a few lines in the foam though and do things like lie the Treelord Ancient down (be very careful taking him out.) I then cut the sections I'd taken out into smaller bits to fit any parts where there were large gaps that might allow models to move. Admittedly I really packed them into two cases so it was pretty hard to prevent movement.

That said I'm not sure it's the best strategy and I have had problems in the past with the carry cases (my Treelord Ancients staff tentacles and horn have both snapped before when I wasn't careful taking it out) so if anyone has a better idea of definitely consider that instead.

I asked this question in the rules subforum as well, but thought a different wording could stand to be discussed here as well.

How have you been playing Kurnoth Hunters and their Envoys of the Everqueen ability in regards to Heed the Spirit-song?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how they should work in this case, since it's an ongoing AoE ability with possible redirection. I could see it working a few different ways: 

• Like in the old version, use command ability, get multiple bubbles of reroll 1's
  • Designate who the bubble is on, TLA or unit of Hunters, when you use the ability (possibly using more than one CP to get those bubbles)
  • Just the TLA, because you aren't measuring for effect range when you use the ability

11 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Had an in-depth look at Sylvaneth in AoS2 on Warhammer Weekly this week. We discuss: 

• What units went up or down in value 
  • Battalions (w/ a breakdown of Dreadwood)
  • Stand-out allies 
  • Counters

Check it out: 

Not to be ungrateful. But I don't have 3.5 hours time.... recap in writing?

I personally can add that I completely obliterated tzeentsch last week with gnarlroot. I had 9 spell a turn, he had 8. Changeling and gaunt summoner are nasty pieces of work but endless spells are great snipers. Lost of spells got dispelled (an honourable mention for changeling, dispelling aralielles spell then casting it with a roll of 11 and doing 8 mw on tla with oaken armor and gnarled warrior)

Tbh I think he forgot some of his batallion abilities (he had 3) and he didn't know endless spells very well and panicked when geminids got behind his lines instead of dispelling it he wanted to get away from 2d3  damage with 5 wound mages so he charged some dryads in a wyldwood. .. And the TLA roused it with his spell.. and then rolled  5+ for the forest on top of that.... killing 3 of them (gaunt summoner had already been dealt some wounds in shooting or magic).

Gnarlroot2018.pdf

3 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

That’s really good news!! Which list did you play?

What’s about new tzeentch summoning? Did you find it op or is it balanced?

I played gnarlroot and Alarielle I posted list in this topic (see pdf). Due to thing I mentioned he didn't play optimally so not sure it really reflects the power of the list. I used endless spells and he didn't.  I was a bit cautious with casting and we both dispelled a bit so he only summoned one herald in turn 3( which alarielle skewered on Kurno us spear her next turn). End of my turn 4 we shook hands since he only had changeling and 14 tzaangors left.. And I still had all units (only my dryad unit of 20 was down too 6)... I actually was above 2k points since I had summoned a TL.

Gnarlroot2018.pdf

Edited by Aezeal
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Not to be ungrateful. But I don't have 3.5 hours time.... recap in writing?

Personal tip, I listen to every week of Warhammer Weekly while doing hobby work (building/priming/painting). Good listening during mindless tasks.

More useful information, the conversation starts around the 35 minute mark. Early discussions focused on unit changes and how the crew felt about those units. Good early discussion on kurnoth hunter loadouts, LoS blocking woods, and the current value of the various Sylvaneth units. Then the conversation transitioned to Dreadwood builds and their pros/cons. After that they talked through the various match-ups that Syvlaneth will face. This is a rough timeline without timestamps, if I listen to the conversation again I can jot down times and post them.

There is a lot of good information and thoughts in this nearly 3 hours of Sylvaneth talk. I strongly suggest listening to it in the background during your daily commute or hobby time. It brought to light some things I had felt after roughly a dozen games of AoS 2.0 that I don't think get enough attention. One example, I've been running a TLA in every game and I'm just not feeling him as much anymore. Tyler brought up that perhaps the value of TLA had gone down in a variety lists and I am feeling that from game experience.

@scrubyandwells If you've got the time I'm interested in your opinion. I really want to swap the TLA for more reliable damage (those sweeping blows, especially when wounded feel awful) but I'm very reluctant to miss out on a woods generator... The re-roll 1's doesn't feel super relevant for my list either but that 4+ forest creation would be missed, even when I have a hero casting verdant blessing with Ranu's and an acorn bearer. Another downside is my ideal swaps (Drycha, Durthu, or simply more Hunters) would result in me have access to three artifacts but only taking 2 (and that just feels like a total waste).

Edited by IndigoGirls
Added a little more information for my question.
  • Like 2