AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

10 hours ago, Drillz said:

So which wargrove has been showing better results in the competitive scene dreadwood or gnarlroot

I don't follow the international scene all that much but I would wait for NOVA results to see which places well. I'm sure some UK folks can weigh in on their scene though as there may have been (?) some larger tournaments using 2.0 recently?

22 hours ago, mystycalchemy said:

Well this would be a pretty casual army, only run at friends' houses or my non-gw LGS, so i'd probably be using litko Wyldwood base cutouts instead of actual wyldwoods :P

Side question: Would you guys run squads of 5 or 10 for the Spite Revenants? Right now I have this:

Realm of Ghur (Beasts)

Drycha

Treelord Ancient (General, Oaken Armour)

Branchwych (Seed of Rebirth)

Spirit of Durthu (Blade of Carving)

Spite Revenants 4x5

Bow Hunters x3

Scythe Hunters x3

Dreadwood Wargrove

Outcasts

1900/2000

If I cut Drycha I can take all the Revenants up to 10-strong. The last 100 points is probably Endless spells, just not sure which ones yet.

I have a lot of practical experience playing Dreadwood. If I were to play it now, I would probably run one of two lists. 

One with Alarielle,

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- General
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
30 x Dryads (270)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes
Dreadwood Wargrove (90)
Outcasts (90)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

This first list is a little more flexible than the second, since Alarielle get a free summon once per game allowing you to "toolkit" whatever into the game you need to deal with whatever your opponent brings. Items on both the wraiths is personal preference. Although since I'm opting for multiple regrowths one of those items will almost certainly be the acorn. 

One of the branchwraiths will be on the vortex sporting with throne of vines for the +D3 to cast/unbind. That extra cast will be helpful since she will likely be my primary endless spell defense (if i really need defense I can chuck out the maelstrom to give me extra unbinding attempts). Also, since I'll probably be casting the vortex into the WW, she's count as being on the balewind AND in cover (see no reason why these don't stack), which put her at save of 3+, likely RR 1's. Since she'll be in WW, she'll also be LoS blocked by the new rules making her very difficult to remove by conventional means (regular shooting from non-flying models or Magic misses that require LoS).  

The second variation is with Drycha:

Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior  
- Artefact: Briarsheath  
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages  
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
30 x Dryads (270)
9 x Kurnoth Hunters (600)
- Scythes
Dreadwood Wargrove (90)
Outcasts (90)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

The second version is very CC focused with hunters being able to drop wherever I want to punish bad deployments or to get stuck into soft targets. Hunter have plenty of rend and reach meaning high armor targets aren't a problem at all. Drycha will have squirmlings which is brutal against hordes and LoS block WW mean I can effectively shut down gunlines and force an engagement. WW+30 dryads and TA mean I can easily throw everything down on an objective and dare the enemy to try and do anything about it. With the extra CP from the battalions I can also easily blanket the entire table with the RR 1's from the TLA command ability, freeing the casters up to focus on healing/damage spells, or to replenish whatever dryads are lost by the branchwraith's signature spell since mystic shield isn't needed.  

There is less spell support here, but my hope is I can bunker in WW and use LoS to deny the worst spells and heal up whatever gets through. 

One small disclaimer* I have not tested either of these lists in 2.0, although the second is a variation of the list I took to Adepticon earlier this year. 

Edited by Mirage8112
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone, looking for advice versus DoK. For reference I'm including the list I used in my game...

LEADERS

Treelord Ancient (300) - General - Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior - Artefact : The Oaken Armour - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Alarielle the Everqueen (600) - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Branchwraith (80) - Artefact : Ranu's Lamentiri - Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing

Branchwych (80) - Artefact : Acorn of the Ages - Deepwood Spell : Treesong

UNITS

5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400) -Scythes

BATTALIONS

Dreadwood Wargrove (90)

Outcasts (90)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Soulsnare Shackles (20)

First, how do people generally deal with 20 blood sisters? I was able to handle the 30 witch aelves but not them AND blood sisters. When a group was fully buffed... brew, razor, blessing of khaine, and hagg nar I could not absorb their hit/deal enough damage myself.

Second, is it worth the risk going all in with ambush trying to melee deepstrike my 6 kurnoths, Alarielle, and my TLA? In our game he bubbled his heroes and blood sisters with witch aelves (40). I could have attempted charges with +2 sending the TLA to swing at the 30 witch aelves before they were buffed with high rend. Alarielle could have followed him or taken the other side of the bubble (blood sisters wrapped by 10 witch aelves) and swung over the 25mm bases with the 2" horn. Kurnoth hunters would have piled in where possible, ideally towards the blood sisters to try and get damage on them, if not, just eliminate more witch aelves.

We were playing Star Strike, so instead of going all in I turtled using the 12" ability of Dreadwood to limit Morathi's spell range. Ultimately, the first star landed in the center of the board and a huge fight broke out . Any thoughts on the match-up is greatly appreciated. My own personal take away... Quicksilver Swords may prove more useful than the Shackles and once things were buffed up with -2 rend, I would have preferred my TLA to have ethereal amulet and warsinger.

• Like 1

Unrelated question from my previous long post. Anyone have tips on transporting Sylvaneth models on a plane? I had initially thought I'd take my BCR army but I love these guys too much to leave them behind. The only two I'm concerned about in my list are Alarielle and TLA. My spites/dryads/ and kurnoths should be fine with some good bubble wrap around each and a fairly tight container in my carry-on.

Played against gorepilgrims yesterday... it was terrible. (He got a double turn an 6 xd6 wounds on Alarielle killed her in his 2nd turn before I could heal or before I'd summoned the TL). Got hardly any spells off. I was surprised the remnants of my army ended up doing relatively well the later turns.. but it was a lost game from turn 2. 

@IndigoGirls I’m hoping to get an answer on DoK also.  My mate plays a 40x blood sisters list and I just cannot seem to crack it! I’m thinking the best thing I could do is using Wyldwoods to block out half the board and Soul Shackles on the other half to have some board control... other than that... spread out play the objective game?

1 hour ago, Lanoss said:

using Wyldwoods to block out half the board and Soul Shackles on the other half to have some board control... other than that... spread out play the objective game?

I tried the spread out game and it failed miserably for me, though there were also some misplays by me. I've noticed this time and time again with Soulsnare Shackles. I really like them, but against a lot of armies they will simply act as a means of reducing their casts by 1. In a tournament setting if you roll up against a Destruction or Chaos list with minimal casts they can be crippling. However, against DoK they were dispelled every time. Minus one spell is still useful but I think the Quicksilver Swords would have been a nice way to reach out and ping the buff heroes (Medusa ?).

List thoughts? It's my attempt at a dreadwood threat overload

Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Trait: Realm Walker 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Treelord Ancient (300)
- Artefact: Moonstone of the Hidden Ways 
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwych (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
- Scythes
Outcasts (90)
Dreadwood Wargrove (90)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000

plan is get first turn, deep strike the hunters at the weakest point. TLA deepstrikes there as well, and Durthu either realm walks in to help, or hits with with Drycha in the second wave. Shackles are there to throw at the opposite end of the army to try to fix them in place. Branchwraith starts the dryad factory, and branchwych gets mid field, or on an objective and casts Throne to act as Sprite Bomb (with Drycha) and prime dispeller.

@BadDice0809 I think this is about as all in on the melee alpha strike that the army can go. Now, some thoughts!

1. Warsinger is worth considering to help those charges on the hunters. +1" to charge is great and benefits everyone.

2. I would consider taking the Quicksilver Swords instead. As I've found out many games in a row now, those shackles are (for the most part) dispelled every game during my opponents turn, if they aren't denied with an unbind. Up to you though, perhaps the versatility is better than ~2 mortal wounds at range.

3. Have you considered giving acorn to the branchwych and ambushing her? With good placement I believe you can get all of the people you care about in and around that forest and 9" away from the enemy.

All that being said, I had not thought to use moonstone, smart way to basically guarantee a charge nor realm walker a 50-50 where Durthu's charge is basically guaranteed. I like your spell selection as well. I'd only say maybe take regrowth on Drycha. It's redundant but your TLA could get blasted off. None of your big trees have a lot of defense so if you survive you're going to want to healing options.

Edited by IndigoGirls
annnndddd i i should re-read before posting

I’ve been playing Sylvaneth in mostly smaller matches, 1000 points or occasionally adjusted 1250 points, and while I am enjoying the army, my regular opponent has started bringing an Auric Runemaster to deny me my Wyldwoods. In response to this I’ve begun trying more aggressive strategies that rely less on my woods for cover. I am wondering what tactics, if any, people have found to work against terrain denial from heroes like the Runemaster or Knight-Heraldors. So far my best guess is to just run Scythe Hunters, my TLA, or Drycha at him until one of us dies. Which seems less than ideal.

9 hours ago, BadDice0809 said:

List thoughts? It's my attempt at a dreadwood threat overload

Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Trait: Realm Walker 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Treelord Ancient (300)
- Artefact: Moonstone of the Hidden Ways 
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwych (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
- Scythes
Outcasts (90)
Dreadwood Wargrove (90)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000

plan is get first turn, deep strike the hunters at the weakest point. TLA deepstrikes there as well, and Durthu either realm walks in to help, or hits with with Drycha in the second wave. Shackles are there to throw at the opposite end of the army to try to fix them in place. Branchwraith starts the dryad factory, and branchwych gets mid field, or on an objective and casts Throne to act as Sprite Bomb (with Drycha) and prime dispeller.

I´ve ben planning to play the exact same list or a variation in an upcoming tournament (Throne of Skulls at Warhammer Fest Europe) but am not sure about artefact choices. I think with Dreadwood the main draw is the 6" Alpha Strike and I like to have as many options as possible.

Thats why I would recommend the acorn on the branchwych or branchwraith and the flitterfurys on Drycha. This way I can, depending on opponent placement, block his way/LoS with an early wyldwood to his face, drop in 6 Hunters to kill key targets or drop Drycha for an 18" aoe bomb.

My variation would be to swap Durthu and the Shackles for 6 Bow Hunters. I know they seem rather weak but I am not sure if I want to play without some ranged threat; especially against a chaff-heave enemy army.

I´m also debating on dropping the Branchwych for some endless spells (pendulum or cogs?)

What do you think?

9 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

@BadDice0809

2. I would consider taking the Quicksilver Swords instead. As I've found out many games in a row now, those shackles are (for the most part) dispelled every game during my opponents turn, if they aren't denied with an unbind. Up to you though, perhaps the versatility is better than ~2 mortal wounds at range.

3. Have you considered giving acorn to the branchwych and ambushing her? With good placement I believe you can get all of the people you care about in and around that forest and 9" away from the enemy.

All that being said, I had not thought to use moonstone, smart way to basically guarantee a charge nor realm walker a 50-50 where Durthu's charge is basically guaranteed. I like your spell selection as well. I'd only say maybe take regrowth on Drycha. It's redundant but your TLA could get blasted off. 

Thank you for the feedback! I am split on lamentri or acorn... but I am starting to think the guarantee of placing a wood from the acorn (depending on who takes the side with the initial wood/objectives/ etc) maybe be more important than +1 to cast the dryad farm. As for quicksilver swords instead of shackles, I'm just worried that since I am going to be in their face turn one, and going first, they might end up controlling them more than me!

3 hours ago, Primes said:

Thats why I would recommend the acorn on the branchwych or branchwraith and the flitterfurys on Drycha. This way I can, depending on opponent placement, block his way/LoS with an early wyldwood to his face, drop in 6 Hunters to kill key targets or drop Drycha for an 18" aoe bomb.

My variation would be to swap Durthu and the Shackles for 6 Bow Hunters. I know they seem rather weak but I am not sure if I want to play without some ranged threat; especially against a chaff-heave enemy army.

I´m also debating on dropping the Branchwych for some endless spells (pendulum or cogs?)

What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback!

I still want durthu for plenty of reasons. He is another behemoth character, with an artifact, to take objectives, his terrifying reputation means people will focus on him, 6 DAM Sword!!!... the changes to wyldewoods and character targeting mean how hunters hit less, and now even our own woods can be used to screen from them.  I figure Drycha, Durthu, TLA, and even the unleash sprites from the branchwych covers enough mid range shooting (besides I want to be close). With you on the acorn though... maybe drop gyhranstrike?... I just get worried about whiffing with Durthu. As for the cogs, that's not a bad idea. Maybe the wych will have to go, and the extra shooting be damned.

Here’s a Dreadwood list I’ve be tinkering with. It involves alpha striking the Hunters into something nice, Drycha AoE bomb, quite heavy in Branchwraith magic (summoning wyldwoods, dryads) and Alarielle healing, summoning what I would need for that battle and then smashing face  

Allegiance : Sylvaneth
Realm: Ghyran
LEADERS
Alarielle (600) 
- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Drycha (280)
- Flitterfuries
Branchwraith (80)
- General : Warsinger
- Artefact : Verdant Mantle (Ghyran)
- Deepwood Spell : Throne Of Vines
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact : Acorn of the Ages
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Ranu’s Lamenteri
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
BATTLELINE
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
UNITS
Kurnoth Hunters x6 (400)
- Scythes
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Outcasts (90)
Dreadwood Wargrove (90)

Use wyldwoods to block out half the board. Soulsnare shackles on the other side, dishing mortals and halving movement 

Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

Here’s a Dreadwood list I’ve be tinkering with. It involves alpha striking the Hunters into something nice, Drycha AoE bomb, quite heavy in Branchwraith magic (summoning wyldwoods, dryads) and Alarielle healing, summoning what I would need for that battle and then smashing face  

LEADERS
Alarielle (600) 
Drycha (280)
- Flitterfuries
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwraith (80)
BATTLELINE
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
UNITS
Kurnoth Hunters x6 (400)
- Scythes
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Outcasts (90)
Dreadwood Wargrove (90)

Use wyldwoods to block out half the board. Soulsnare shackles on the other side, dishing mortals and halving movement 

Thoughts?

My question is this: is 6 Hunters and Alarielle enough of a combat punch? Is Durthu, a TLA, and 6 Hunters enough? I keep thinking about armies like the fyreslayers or a nurgle plaguebearer blob. Can our hitters by themselves fight 3x 30 of beserkers or -1 to hit plaguebearers?

Hey a question.. I guess someone must have made spite reventants from dryads bodies and left over arms and heads (after building tree revenants)... Does it work? Could you show? (I think the revenant kids are kinda too expensive so I'm considering doing this to get 10 revenant models and 11 dryads out of a box of each.

3 hours ago, Lanoss said:

LEADERS
Alarielle (600) 
Drycha (280)
- Flitterfuries
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwraith (80)
BATTLELINE
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
Spite Revenants x5 (70)
UNITS
Kurnoth Hunters x6 (400)
- Scythes
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Outcasts (90)
Dreadwood Wargrove (90)

Thoughts?

Lots of punch, but you have nothing to hold objectives. What are you going to do when 2 x 30 block of bloodletters/plaguebearers/Vulkite Berserkers plops down on an objective? In certain battleplans, units greater than 20 models can steal objectives if they have more models than you. 5 spite revenants might be able to hold an objective for a turn, but they won't last 2 turns. Sure, Alarielle can throw down 20 Dryads in a pinch, but that probably not the best use of her summoning. Drycha might be able to help if you drop flitterfuries for squirmlings, but then again in you're facing more than 1 big block, she might put the hurt on one before getting eaten herself by the other. 

It's has been my experience that at competitive events you almost never get to go full alpha. That is of course unless your opponent makes a mistake and leaves you an opening (which does happen from time to time), but even then you still to need to win the objective game. If you do manage to get the alpha in, you still need to consider that whatever you put into into their front lines will very likely die and you probably won't have them around from the bottom of turn 3 onward. 

Dreadwood almost requires you win the game in the first half. If you don't have a comfortable lead by the middle of turn 3 chances are you won't be able to pull out the W.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the critique @Mirage8112 I don’t think there are any battleplans that still require 20+ models now BUT you do have a point. I’ll have to consider Drycha’s squirmlings to take care of hordes (only problem is I’ve modelled her with the flies ?). Also, if there’s another horde there, sending Alarielle’s beetle into them can mop them up (depending on what the unit is - Fyreslayers, plaguebearers and bloodletters(on the hit back) could prove troublesome for her)

On 8/2/2018 at 12:35 AM, Walkirriox said:

@Mirage8112 Which stratagems do you choose if you get 1 or 2 in the dice roll, and why?

Depends what you want to do who your opponent is and what the victory conditions are. Most of the time you will have at least 2 stratagems to choose from, but even in that case it really depends what kind of opening your opponent gives you.

If you roll up 2 stratagems and plan to alpha strike, a Dreadwood alpha strike is almost always best deployed on the flank. Most of the time, you'll only be able to get one unit in on the first turn, and maybe a second on the second turn (maybe). If the opponent has a bunch of shooting, then you need hidden attackers in addition to ambush. If you're in their flank at the (right or left) edge of board, chances are all their shooting will be out of range. In order to deal with the threat, they will either choose to throw everything they have at it, (leaving the rest of your force free to start capturing objectives) or ignore it so they can get out and try to capture objectives themselves. Either choice is good for you. 

If you don't plan to alpha strike, then you'll ant to use your free redeploy to put something resilient on objectives. Dropping 30 dryads onto your free wood (that now blocks LoS) on an objective means you've pretty much taken the objective out of play for the first turn. Depending on what your facing, you may want to choose the free movement stratagem to move the rest of your army to threaten a counter-charge if they make a play for an objective. If your facing a bunch of sky-fires (or any other flying artillery)  then you need the hidden attackers again to prevent your dryads being shot to pieces in the first turn. 

If you only roll one stratagem, it's not a bad idea to give your opponent first turn and pick hidden attackers so they can't really threaten you first turn. Alternately you can redeploy a wytch/wraith with an acorn, drop the forest right in from of your opponents front lines and then teleport back to your free wood. That way you've basically blocked off line of sight for his entire front line (lol at gun lines), casting magic that close to the woods will also be risky for him and god help him if he tries to run through the forest. Otherwise to be safe, he'll need to take 2 turns to cross it safely, give you time to get board control. 

You can get very creative with those three stratagems. But it's important to have a plan beforehand. What are you facing? Gun lines? Casting army? CC specialists? Hordes? Having a good idea what the opponent is about to try and do will make choosing the appropriate stratagem that much easier. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

Thanks for the critique @Mirage8112 I don’t think there are any battleplans that still require 20+ models now BUT you do have a point. I’ll have to consider Drycha’s squirmlings to take care of hordes (only problem is I’ve modelled her with the flies ?). Also, if there’s another horde there, sending Alarielle’s beetle into them can mop them up (depending on what the unit is - Fyreslayers, plaguebearers and bloodletters(on the hit back) could prove troublesome for her)

This last year Adepticon combined battleplans from the GHB2016 and GHB2017 to create the scenarios for the Grand Clash. Don't assume because it's not in the GHB2018 that it won't pop up if you're attending an event... 

The real problem here isn't punch or how much damage Alarielle's beetle can do, it's staying ability and board control. Your list is "smash or be smashed", and your opponent can easily ignore everything except the units which are genuine threats. You only have 3 real "combat units" in this list: Drycha/Hunters/Alarielle. Since you only have 3 units to work with on the tabletop you probably won't have the option to keep Drycha out of combat. The hunters/Alarielle are pretty durable, but Drycha isn't. If you put her into combat with something she cant erase or seriously cripple on the charge, she likely won't survive more than 2 rounds of combat. Trying to maintain board control with 2 units (hunters/alarielle) will be really difficult. 

Again maybe you can use Alarielles summoning to help you with board control, but I don't have any experience with her in this edition, so I can't attest to how effective this is as a fallback plan. I do know that plenty of players here on this forum have lost Alarielle to massed shooting/magic/focus fire, and since you only have 3 heavy hitters to work with, you won't be able to just sit back out of harms way and heal your hunters with Alarielle. You'l have to have her front and center so her 30" healing bubble can reach both the Hunters and Drycha. That means you'll probably use 1-2 units of spites as screens for Allarielle, and probably the same for Drycha. 

If you get dog-piled or stuck in combat for multiple turns you'll likely lose. So either hope you opponent gives you an opening for a devastating Alpha-strike, or you'll have to be very careful to only pick fights you know you can win.  

• Thanks 1