AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

As i have finally managed to complete a 3rd treelord variant i am looking forward to trying it out - most of our battalions don't really interest me beyond the additional artifact/CP

How are people finding it on the table? Do you split up the TLA's and run the TL with one of them? Or do you keep the battalion together for a larger potential are for the ability? 

15 hours ago, Gibs said:

Is there actually enough healing to make Tree Lord Ancients and regular Tree Lords viable on mass? They don't hit very hard and with the amount of wounds units can put out these days a few D6 heals isn't going to compensate for that?

They hit harder than most things. Their damage is as good as it gets outside of a healthy Durthu, and the baseline Treelord gets more basic attacks than Durthu does without a nearby Wyldwood. The problem has always been that 1) you risk whiffing on relatively few attacks; and 2) Kurnoths were better for the same price. Gnarlroot LotC addresses the former and we will see whether the point drop is enough for the latter. 

Healing is also a Gnarlroot advantage. But you also need to think about how they are taking damage in the first place. Two or three treelords together is two or three stomps. That should almost guarantee you stomp the biggest threat, and you stand a reasonable chance of stomping a second unit. If the treelords then take enough damage after those stomps and past a modest dryad screen for healing to be a problem then you’ve probably already lost. 

Your proposed LotC changes are appealing on paper but not thematically appropriate. “Treelord heroes” rather than TLAs can only be intended to allow Durthu, and Durthu doesn’t belong in a LotC battalion - Durthu is linked with Kurnoths. 

Allowing Treelords to be battleline would be fine, though. Plenty of other factions have similar options (FEC can take Crypt Flayers and Zombie Dragons as battleline) and I was surprised that we had no battleline options across any of our glades. 

12 hours ago, Pennydude said:

I do agree that having 2 TLAs kinda sucks because you can’t use each model’s Silent Communion ability.

That rather overlooks the value that a TLA brings outside of that one ability. Having an extra caster in Gnarlroot is worth more in my experience. 

2 hours ago, Arnied3 said:

How are people finding it on the table? Do you split up the TLA's and run the TL with one of them? Or do you keep the battalion together for a larger potential are for the ability? 

I’ve split them before and run the TLA General with the Gem and Verdurous Harmony to support Kurnoths. That’s a very solid combo but I’m not sure it is much better than taking Archie in the same place - the Kurnoths tend to murder things anyway so don’t much care about the healing. 

I’d be tempted to run all three together or add a second Treelord to see how it works out. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pennydude said:

Why does her base have to be soooo biiiiig???? You can use her to deep strike in Living City and I was sad when I found that out.  I was lucky to get a spot at Holy Wars here in mid-February and so I need to finalize a 2000pt list AND a 1000pt "sideboard".  I get bonus points during the event for utilizing the sideboard and changing up the lists.  I'm considering doing a more Kurnoth Heavy list and see if I can transition it into Da Monsterz.  I'm currently playing around with a 3 drop Gnarlroot list:

TLA (General, Nurtured by Magic, Nightbloom Garland, Regrowth)
TLA (Chalice of Nectar, Deadly Harvest)
Branchwraith (Spiritsong Stave, Throne of Vines)
Drycha Hamadreth (Regrowth)
30 Dryads
20 Dryads
10 Dryads
Treelord
Spiteswarm Hive
Gladewyrm
Lords of the Clan battalion
Forest Folk battalion
Command point
2000pts

Could drop the command point for another spell.  Would love to fit Geminids in but that would probably require dropping Drycha for Durthu.

EDIT/Addition: The Nightbloom Garland is a concession to OBR catapults.  The bearer isn't visible to enemy units that are more than 12" away.

Yea the frustrating part about Alarielle is that I am pretty sure her base issues with Living City and Gladewyrm weren't intentional. Six inches was probably just slapped on those rules arbitrarily. Luckily the Spiteswarm Hive is 8 inches. 

Looks like a fun list but I always advise against double TLAs. A big part of their cost is the command ability and the free forest, and you can't duplicate those. I would recommend you swap out a TLA and an endless spell for Durthu. I don't think you will miss one cast. 

22 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Yea the frustrating part about Alarielle is that I am pretty sure her base issues with Living City and Gladewyrm weren't intentional. Six inches was probably just slapped on those rules arbitrarily. Luckily the Spiteswarm Hive is 8 inches. 

Looks like a fun list but I always advise against double TLAs. A big part of their cost is the command ability and the free forest, and you can't duplicate those. I would recommend you swap out a TLA and an endless spell for Durthu. I don't think you will miss one cast. 

I could do that.  I wanted to use the Lords of the Clan battalion though because it's 3 drops right now.  So even if I have 2 Treelord Ancients, I can't spend two command points and use the ability on both?  I know you can use the Arch-Rev's command ability multiple times in one turn but the targets have to be different.

20191224_124506.jpg.9ab7222dfe792b4179e576865fd4eb47.jpg

On 12/22/2019 at 8:01 PM, Eldarain said:

Bit of conversion planning help here friends.

How tall is a Treeman Ancient compared to a Realmgate?

Ok I've tried to put up a picture showing it..- and finally suceeded

Anyway. The "hair" of TL is just below the inner arch of the gates with the TL standing on the ground (not on the level of the gate up the stairs). Sorry for these mostly unpainted models. The TLA and Durthu I actually use are in their transportbox.

Edited by Aezeal
Pic
  • Thanks 1

I’ve spent the last few months working on a new sylvaneth army- mostly brought second hand off a friend at my local club. I’ve just passed the 1000 point mark of painted models with a second unit of kurnoth hunters, so figured now would be a good time to share.

Bonus picture of a converted branchwraith (out of a second branchwych) 

next up, I better get some trees together so I can use them on the tabletop! 

BAC5974C-10F4-4D55-8832-950C74C1B0FF.jpeg

D367D728-2B0B-443F-8C63-F01C36DE1711.jpeg

C1A4DDD0-D5EA-4293-A0F5-EE8590E0E4E1.jpeg

1B5C7958-5B8D-4D82-8342-11B84BEF0CD1.jpeg

1DA9BA30-C1CD-4D3E-805F-B9FD15086720.jpeg

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

So, I've almost acquired about all the options I need to experiment with a few Sylvaneth lists. Aiming for the Spite Horde to bulk out the battleline.

Could use some advice on two lists I'm wanting experimenting with:

Winterleaf Glade 

Spirit of Durthu:

My heart is ice, Ghyrstrike

Drycha:

Regrowth

Arch-Revenant: 

Frozen Kernal

Outcast Battalion 

Spites 20x

Spites 20x

Spites 15x

Kurnoth Hunters w Greatswords

Kurnoth Hunters w/ Scythes

Kurnoth Hunters w/ scythes

2000 / 2000

Gnarlroot Glade 

Allarielle Everqueen

Summon: Kurnoth Hunters w/ Bows

TLA:

Nurtured by magic, chalice of Nectar, treesong

Arch-Rev: Ghyrstrike

Outcast Batallion

20x Spite Revs 

15x Spite Revs 

10x Spite Revs 

Kurnoth Hunters w/ bows

Kurnoth Hunters w/ bows

Vengeful Skullroot endless spell 

I prefer first option. I don't like Gnarlroot Glade. 

This Tuesday I will go to try this list:

/////////////

Heartwood glade

Branchwraith (Horn of the Consort, Verdurous Harmony)
3 Bow Hunters
3 Bow Hunters
3 Bow Hunters

Durthu {general} 

Durthu

Gotrek gurnison

2x5 Spite

5 tree 

////////////////////////

What do you think about this list? 

*Two Durthu go toguether

*Gotrek alone

*Branchwraith with
3 Bow Hunters
3 Bow Hunters
3 Bow Hunters

Hunters can repeat all fail hit.

I think is a good and solid list. Durthu and Durthu with one 4+ the enemy is the last. And with one comand point repeat both 1 

Gotrek... Is... GOTREK LOL

And bows are 6 stacks 3+repeat fails 3+

And 12 atactks 4+ repeat fails 3+

What do you think? 

Edited by Raist

Hey all, I just watched AoS Coach's video - Age of Sigmar Emerging Meta (Nov '19) and was surprised to see Dreadwood as the 4th most popular glade. I've enjoyed Dreadwood these last few months and have had good success with it. To be fair the only other glade I've played is Winterleaf and the only other option I've built around is Gnarlroot.

Just looking for some thoughts on the low representation of Dreadwood. I especially question it's low meta percentage in light of Sylvaneth's overall low win rate under the new book. Personally, I chalk this up to the following... the benefits of Dreadwood are not as obvious as Winterleaf, Gnarlroot and Harvestboon so most players avoid it.

Cheers everyone!

24 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

Hey all, I just watched AoS Coach's video - Age of Sigmar Emerging Meta (Nov '19) and was surprised to see Dreadwood as the 4th most popular glade. I've enjoyed Dreadwood these last few months and have had good success with it. To be fair the only other glade I've played is Winterleaf and the only other option I've built around is Gnarlroot.

Just looking for some thoughts on the low representation of Dreadwood. I especially question it's low meta percentage in light of Sylvaneth's overall low win rate under the new book. Personally, I chalk this up to the following... the benefits of Dreadwood are not as obvious as Winterleaf, Gnarlroot and Harvestboon so most players avoid it.

Cheers everyone!

It boosts Spite Revs.

Spite Revs are super expensive (in money terms).

Low representation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

It boosts Spite Revs.

Spite Revs are super expensive (in money terms).

Low representation.

Interesting thought, I previously used 25 or 30 spites which is £125 or £150 for a very small number of points (300pts or 320pts). That price tag doesn't take into account the Looncurse box (very hard to get ahold of) or different currencies (where they get even more expensive).

I think the logic is more for the dreadwood command ability. At the end of the day, sylvaneth require a lot of moving parts to not really do anything better than anyone else, making them overall a bit weak. To jump woods and charge you need to 

1 summon a wood (usually casting a spell)

2 not get the spell dispelled

3 summon another wood or be near a wood

4 make a 9inch charge.

Dreadwood gets rid of 1,2 and 3 making it a lot more reliable. The strongest performing lists I've seen are bare minimum outcasts for the artifact, 2 big units of hunters you are planning to deepstrike, 1 to 2 branchwraiths, and maybe some dryads or other bits to taste. I wouldn't focus too much on the rr1s thing.

In contrast, skaven get mawholes which don't have to be summoned, and give a boost to casting to boot! 

• Like 1

Hi all. I play the list and... 

Gotrek kill 2 drake

Durthu and durthu kill one giant the forge world and take one  enemy point.

Die one of Durthu... 

And 9 kurnoth bows help gotrek and die 3... 

Finally I win 16... 15 and more units kill... 

I like the list ;)

How are people using Tree Revenants?

I was playing around with a ‘theme’ of trees with swords (ie every model in the list had a sword, so Durthu, Kurnoths and Tree Revenants) but I found the Revenants disappointing. They have bad saves, 1 wound, not much damage, and have elite unit pricing (points and money)

3 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

How are people using Tree Revenants?

I was playing around with a ‘theme’ of trees with swords (ie every model in the list had a sword, so Durthu, Kurnoths and Tree Revenants) but I found the Revenants disappointing. They have bad saves, 1 wound, not much damage, and have elite unit pricing (points and money)

I’ve typically ran one minimum unit to capture objectives or threaten a hero later in the game. Can also be used now to ambush OBR catapults if they aren’t screened properly.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:07 PM, Lanoss said:

Thoughts on this Harvestboon build? 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Harvestboon
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: Seek New Fruit 
- Artefact: The Silent Sickle 
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
12 x Kurnoth Hunters (800)
- Scythes

Forest Folk (140)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

Ive played with the idea of adding a 2nd Durthu  with a Greenwood Gladius by swapping the dryads for a cheap Outcasts battalion 

I like it but I would do 2 x 6 Scythe Hunters or 6 Scythes, 3 Swords, 3 Swords.  Also you gained 40 points, maybe you can jimmy the second Durthu in easier?  I was going to play Harvestboon at 1k today but it was all eggs in one basket with Durthu at that level so I changed back to Winterleaf last moment.

@Popisdead Yes. I wrote that before I knew the faq was coming

this is the list I’d like to try now. I think it has some weight to it. Thoughts?

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Harvestboon
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- General
- Trait: Seek New Fruit  
- Artefact: The Silent Sickle  
Spirit of Durthu (300)
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
9 x Kurnoth Hunters (600)
- Scythes
Forest Folk (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

52 minutes ago, Pennydude said:

I’ve typically ran one minimum unit to capture objectives or threaten a hero later in the game. Can also be used now to ambush OBR catapults if they aren’t screened properly.

This.

They should be MSU, and just kinda bounce around and be a nuisance where required.

If you have two MSU units, the re-rolling of a charge dice puts the chances of making one of the 9" charges in your favour, so 2x3 could well take out - or at least heavily weaken - a 5-wound hero hero, warmachine, etc.

Also, MSU means you can deploy several of these units at the start of the game, and thus allow more Forest Spirit units to ambush later.

Edited by Kyriakin

On 12/30/2019 at 7:21 PM, Frowny said:

I think the logic is more for the dreadwood command ability. At the end of the day, sylvaneth require a lot of moving parts to not really do anything better than anyone else, making them overall a bit weak. To jump woods and charge you need to 

1 summon a wood (usually casting a spell)

2 not get the spell dispelled

3 summon another wood or be near a wood

4 make a 9inch charge.

Dreadwood gets rid of 1,2 and 3 making it a lot more reliable. The strongest performing lists I've seen are bare minimum outcasts for the artifact, 2 big units of hunters you are planning to deepstrike, 1 to 2 branchwraiths, and maybe some dryads or other bits to taste. I wouldn't focus too much on the rr1s thing.

In contrast, skaven get mawholes which don't have to be summoned, and give a boost to casting to boot! 

Yeah I agree with what Dreadwood does to shore up some of Sylvaneths problems so why isn't it appearing as much? Unlike the other glades I feel it makes Sylvaneth more consistent overall.

The next most attractive glade to me is Gnarlroot with Allarielle and as many multi wound models as possible (maximizing kurnoth units as points per wound they are effecient). I have yet to try this idea out but in practice any unit that is not killed should be topped off during your turn.

Winterleaf just feels like a bit of a win more ability in comparison. I don't think it shores up many weaknesses in the army.