AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Yep you did. I will happily eat crow on this one. My list gained 100+ points. Pretty strange that Hunters didn't go up but whatever. I will take it! 

Why is that surprising, did anyone think that hunters would go up? They are our most effective unit, but they are not exactly sweeping tournaments. It would pretty much trash the army completely if they went up. 

17 minutes ago, Neffelo said:

Why is that surprising, did anyone think that hunters would go up? They are our most effective unit, but they are not exactly sweeping tournaments. It would pretty much trash the army completely if they went up. 

There should be a price difference between bows and swords/scythes. There is clearly a performance difference. Though to be fair it should probably be a discount on bows rather than an increase on the others. 

23 minutes ago, Neffelo said:

I just find it odd that the likes of kurnoth swords are the same points as kurnoth bows personally

31 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

I just find it odd that the likes of kurnoth swords are the same points as kurnoth bows personally

It didn't surprise me really.  Bows are still really strong because of the 30" range and the buffs with a command ability, Arch-Rev, or Heartwood artefact.  Bows are my favorite of the three and I really like Scythes and Swords too.  I own 9 Bows, 6 Scythes, and 6 Swords and all get used for different purposes.  

1 hour ago, Landohammer said:

There should be a price difference between bows and swords/scythes. There is clearly a performance difference. Though to be fair it should probably be a discount on bows rather than an increase on the others. 

So, I could totally have seen a price decrease on the bows, that makes sense to me.  I don't think increasing any of the options would have been a good idea. 

Just now, smartazjb0y said:

I believe just a clarification on Glades on warscrolls that already have Glades, but I'm not 100% sure if that change is specific to a different translation 

Yea, if the warscroll already has a glade keyword (both our Shadespire warbands), then they don't get the benefit of other glades but they can still be used in those armies.

So, Ylthari's Guardians is Oakenbrow.  You can use them in a Gnarlroot army but they don't get any of the Gnarlroot benefits.

Gnarlroot seems like it got a buff with TLA and Alarielle getting cheaper.

Now that the "combo" is cheaper it seems like Gnarlroot TLA + Gyrstrike Durthu is a decent option. Pair them together and you get extra wyldwood for more opportunites to get extra attacks, 2 stomps, reroll 1s to hit on Durthu, possibly d9 wounds healed if you take Regrowth and the +6 after save if you have a command point. Not bad now that it's 80 points less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a74xhx said:

Right then, new list:

Winterleaf

320 Spite Revenants

1 branchwraith (general)

2000 points. 325 wounds.

Done.

did you typo there? 
In what world does 320 Spire Revs fit in 2000pts? 
That's like 3200pts minimum. 

EDIT:
I see now that you're probably referring to the 30pt typo. 
It's not on the Japanese version of the document and obviously the bulk discount doesn't work if they're 30 lol. 
Good old GW changing things they didn't even intend to change. 

Now we need an errata for the errata =P 

Edited by Inquisitorsz

Disclaimer: All of the below is completely untested on the tabletop - advice greatly appreciated

Ok so I was already planning on running Alarielle at an upcoming tournament. 
Originally it was her, Dycha, branchwraith, 9 hunters and some battleline. 
Now with the cheaper treelords and extra points from Alarielle's reduction. It's time to have another look.  
I'm struggling to find how to fill those spare points other than 5 more spite revs or another endless spell. Though the 260pt TLA is mighty tempting. 

At the moment I have a core of this:

Alarielle 600
branchwraith 80

spite revs 60
spite revs 60

tree revs 80
6 hunters 400
3 Hunters  200
spiteswarm hive 50

The spite/tree revs can vary a bit depending on which heroes/which glade and whether or not I need to slot in the outcasts battalion.  
but this leaves me with 470pts to spend. And I'm a bit lost. 

Like I said, initially, it was Drycha since I was going caster heavy, and probably leaning towards Gnarlroot for that one, due to all the casters and the Chalice helping to summon new dryads.  Or Dreadwood since I don't have a treelord who can also teleport.

I can swap Drycha for Durthu, and then I'll probably be leaning towards Winterleaf or Dreadwood. Can then squeeze in Outcasts as well to give the brachwraith an item (probably spiritsong staff).  or just more chaff... perhaps a second unit of tree revs for teleport fun. 

Swapping Drycha for a TLA frees up enough points to take another 3 hunters. Since I only own 12, that would mean Alarielle would have to summon the dyrads. 
But I wonder if 3 more hunters is the same level of threat as Drycha or Durthu, because I don't feel like the TLA is a threat, it's more of a support unit. 

Trying to fit in another hero like and Arch Rev seems like a waste, because then you can't fit outcasts for the extra artifact. 
Or I can do that, without another behemoth, and go Arch Rev, 3 Hunters, 5 Spites, Outcasts. 
That feel like a strong option, but then I feel a bit exposed on the hero front with 1 big, 1 little and 1 backline caster. Especially because one of the scenarios will be Places of Arcane Power. 

I think I'm struggling with a bit of analysis paralysis here. Help me tree friends!  

Thought you guys might find this interesting. 

I used @NoMaDhOoK stathammer app (https://aos-statshammer.herokuapp.com/)
To compare Winterleaf and Gnarlroot Drycha (in both anger forms) and Winterleaf Durthu. 
This includes both melee and shooting (so let's call it total damage output per turn) and all at full health. 
As you can see Winterleaf Drycha pulls ahead all the other forms but the difference is roughly 0.3  wound either way. 
Seems like Enraged is always better. probably due to the rend and obviously the range meaning you have a bit more flexibility with the attack during the turn. 

image.png.bdb6a6496daa6bec6529bda8471d25c3.png

Durthu is better overall but don't forget his damage drops off significantly after suffering 3 wounds, and this graph assumes he's near a Wyldwood. 
Also impaling talons is high variance which isn't really factored in very well when talking about averages.
Drycha maintains her output much better while getting wounds (and don't forget her spells which aren't factored in here).  
image.png.55dc153f7b47edb2898bbc55aef13467.png

Here's the difference with a Durthu who's been knocked down a damage tier. Pretty significant.

EDIT: 
Forgot winterleaf exploding 6s was melee only.
Fixed the graphs

Edited by Inquisitorsz
  • LOVE IT! 2

9 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

did you typo there? 
In what world does 320 Spire Revs fit in 2000pts? 
That's like 3200pts minimum. 

EDIT:
I see now that you're probably referring to the 30pt typo. 
It's not on the Japanese version of the document and obviously the bulk discount doesn't work if they're 30 lol. 
Good old GW changing things they didn't even intend to change. 

Now we need an errata for the errata =P 

I hadn't seen the Japanese version, which seems much more sensible. Guess I'm going to have to move to France now that I've spent all night building 300 more Spites :D .   (Just the thought of buying that many makes me shudder).

1 hour ago, Piikalo1 said:

If im playing a mirror match can we spirit paths to each others forests? Or do we only get to use our own. 

Spirit Paths, no.  That ability on the TL, TLA and SoD say that the Awakened Wyldwoods must be friendly.

Now the allegiance ability does not have that distinction...

4 hours ago, Pennydude said:

Spirit Paths, no.  That ability on the TL, TLA and SoD say that the Awakened Wyldwoods must be friendly.

That’s not true. Core rules state that all terrain is considered friendly to all sides - second sentence of the first paragraph in the terrain section. 

So while you do need a friendly Awakened Wyldwood, all Awakened Wyldwoods are friendly to everyone regardless of which side placed them. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

That’s not true. Core rules state that all terrain is considered friendly to all sides - second sentence of the first paragraph in the terrain section. 

So while you do need a friendly Awakened Wyldwood, all Awakened Wyldwoods are friendly to everyone regardless of which side placed them. 

Huh, you are right.  I greatly appreciate that clarification and my apologies for spreading bad information.  Definitely was not my intent.  I have a lot to learn still.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trevelyan said:

so if there's no such thing as terrain that's not friendly, why would it specify that the terrain should be friendly?