AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Justinbot said:

Is this the accepted interpretation of the rules for flying units in Wyldwoods? I'm going to be playing some Nighthaunt players soon who might be skeptical, just want to make sure I'm getting it right ?

Not sure if the wording was changed, but the rules entry for Flying states "A flying model can pass across models and terrain features as if they were not there when it makes any type of move" (underlined emphasis added). With the Wyldwood warscroll stating "move across, or finishing on", I would agree with the above interpretation Tommm posted. 

• Thanks 1

Unrelated question, can treesong set off Roused my magic twice? One from within the spell itself setting it off, then again following normal Roused by Magic from the nearby wood? Im getting conflicting opinion as some think as it automatically triggers Roused by magic, then it doesnt go off as it would normally when a spell is cast near a wood. My interpretation is that even though the spell immediatly sets is off, that doesnt prevent rolling the 5+ to set it off as it would otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Matt Large said:

Unrelated question, can treesong set off Roused my magic twice? One from within the spell itself setting it off, then again following normal Roused by Magic from the nearby wood? Im getting conflicting opinion as some think as it automatically triggers Roused by magic, then it doesnt go off as it would normally when a spell is cast near a wood. My interpretation is that even though the spell immediatly sets is off, that doesnt prevent rolling the 5+ to set it off as it would otherwise. 

I'd say both.. I see no rule where it's said you can't roll for the 5+

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Matt Large said:

lol are you following that facebook argument too?

Edited by Mirage8112

The argument on Facebook is a bit hilarious. I don’t think a lot of people ever read it as triggering a 2nd Roused By Magic roll, but there’s probably enough evidence to send it to GW for their opinion...

I bit the bullet and bought 4 boxes of Spite-Revenants for my Dreadwood list. Drycha has always been a favourite for me, so it is going to revolve around her Outcasts. I read the Josh Reynolds Eight Lamentations short story “The Tainted Axe” recently, and I really liked this quote: 

“It is not Alarielle’s song that they hear, but a rather more primal melody, and darker by far, sung by one whose will is as tangled as the roots of this forest. You know of whom I speak.”

?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Matt Large said:

Yeah lol, but I would much rather  discuss it here. Facebook often gets unnecesserily heated and I couldnt be bothered tbh 

After reading the abilities again I stand behind the fact that it would be 1 Roused (as a result of the spell being successful) and 1 roll to check for Roused; but now I'm wondering on the timing of it. Does the roll-check happen immediately after  the spell is successful, or after the spell's effects have been resolved? In this case, would the woods roll where it started the spell activation, or after the spell is completely resolved and has moved?

I imagine that's part of the argument...

Edited by Freejack02

Hello all,

I have been reading the Sylvaneth battletome and i really like this army.  My eye fell on Drycha and spite revenants, their lore about being outcasts reminded me of the angry forest in lord of the rings. So now my question, does anyone here has experience playing an outcast battallion? Drycha with three units of spite revenants and the outcasts battalion sums up to 580 points. What would benice to fill to 1000 points in this army? 

I have to admit, i have zero experience with sylvaneth.

grtz

3 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Quick question: Since Ghb 18, how are Wanderers units as allies in a Sylvaneth list? I think SotT can still be good, but what about everything else?

With the nerf of magic shield SotT got quite a hit too.. and didn't loose points. I'm not quite sure I'd try them atm.  I don't think the rest of the army provides much we don't have in some form or another. The dispel of the spellweaver is a utility thingie that can be useful I suppose... but one dispel in a game isn't enough to take her over our own mages. If you insist on being shooty maybe the snipers or GG/SotW might be something but I'm not going to try that. If you REALLY want to kill a monster rangers might be better than our hunters... but hunters are way more multipurpose and survivable and combo with all our spells. I don't really see much use for wanderers. The fact tons of abilities are triggered on keywords makes allies a less choice unless you have a really good reason to take them (which is sad in a way but I THINK it's better for the game to prevent all kinds of soup armies ). 

On 7/25/2018 at 9:30 AM, romhi said:

Yeah, the only possible artefact that I would consider as a subtitute is the Gryph-feather Charm on a wraith. -2 to hit makes a really sticky hero. On the other hand, and in my personal case, my opponent's LoC and  Tzaangor Shamans/Skyfires laugh at the new rules thanks to their Fly ability.

-2 to hit is nothing to sneeze at. Put it on a branchwraith for -3 to hit near a wyldwood. However, it's pretty easy for us to get a -1 to hit already with briarsheath. Sure you could do both and get -1 to hit on two heroes, but I still think there are better strategies than loading up on -1 hit items. Because what happens when your opponent shoots a spell at your -3 hit hero? They evaporate that's what happens. I prefer to have a little something to counter as many sources of damage as possible rather than putting all my eggs in -1 hit basket. 

On 7/25/2018 at 9:30 AM, romhi said:

feel like the nerf was a bit to potent, I was really happy about Lens of Refraction because I thinks it was a step in the right direction and I understand that it could be considered a bit op against magic heavy armies, but the newest change made me sad. I am really looking forward to similar items/abilities/tactics/traits that could be used against wizards. Just thinking about trying to unbind against a LoC or Nagash gives me nightmares. 

Well, wonder that fact before that the Lens reduce mortal wounds taken to a minimum of 1. Now that language is removed so you can possibly prevent a single spell from causing any damage. You have to pick when the best time to use it is, but since you get an unbind attempt first you don't have to commit right away. 

Nagash is a problem tho. Doesn't matter what items you take lol. 

5 hours ago, Bohemond said:

@Aezeal I checked, they are still 220, and I am now a sad owner of magic slinging, stag riding, amazon warrior elves. The models are beautiful though...

Alternate opinon: I think they're aces. Especially in a gnarlroot list. Especially, Especially since the rule change that you have to attack with units who are eligible now. 

While they can't get to 3+ mortal wounds, they can still pretty easily get MW on 4+ on dryads ( on a 6, +1 from cover, +1 from 12 models in the unit). Especially since your re-rolling saves from the spell naturally. Half of the attacks that I need to make a roll for cause MW? Yes please. 

They'll expensive and fragile (as they should be) so you can't play with them like skullcrushers or something. But keep them in the behind a dryad line a bit and with a little creativity positioning you might even be able to shoot with them while your bolstering your front lines with magic. 

On 7/30/2018 at 9:00 AM, Fluxlord said:

What would benice to fill to 1000 points in this army? 

I am not sure that a battalion is needed or worth it in a 1k point game, but fluff wins most of my decisions too. First you need to find candidates for the two artefacts and the trait you have. If you add the fact that you dont have any forest generator unless you burn Drycha's spell slot I would recommend a TreeLord Ancient with either a b.wych or b.wraith. That would put you to 960 points. Fill the remaining 40 points with endless spell(s) and you are golden.

So I recently read somewhere (reddit?) That the Dreadwood Wargrove was competetive? I love Drycha and the Spite-Revenants, but haven't had a chance to check it out. Is Drycha redundant in a Dreadwood Wargrove or is she worth taking still? I know Alarielle is amazing for her points (Free Kurnoths or Treelord!) But considering Sylvaneth is about the 4th AoS army... I'm going for a slightly cheaper force xD

1 hour ago, mystycalchemy said:

So I recently read somewhere (reddit?) That the Dreadwood Wargrove was competetive? I love Drycha and the Spite-Revenants, but haven't had a chance to check it out. Is Drycha redundant in a Dreadwood Wargrove or is she worth taking still? I know Alarielle is amazing for her points (Free Kurnoths or Treelord!) But considering Sylvaneth is about the 4th AoS army... I'm going for a slightly cheaper force xD

Yes, I think Dreadwood is very competitive - but I don't equate Sylvaneth with a cheap force considering all the money you need to spend on wyldwoods. I've never run it, but I imagine Drycha fits in well. 

59 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Yes, I think Dreadwood is very competitive - but I don't equate Sylvaneth with a cheap force considering all the money you need to spend on wyldwoods. I've never run it, but I imagine Drycha fits in well. 

Well this would be a pretty casual army, only run at friends' houses or my non-gw LGS, so i'd probably be using litko Wyldwood base cutouts instead of actual wyldwoods :P

Side question: Would you guys run squads of 5 or 10 for the Spite Revenants? Right now I have this:

Realm of Ghur (Beasts)

Drycha

Treelord Ancient (General, Oaken Armour)

Branchwych (Seed of Rebirth)

Spirit of Durthu (Blade of Carving)

Spite Revenants 4x5

Bow Hunters x3

Scythe Hunters x3

Dreadwood Wargrove

Outcasts

1900/2000

If I cut Drycha I can take all the Revenants up to 10-strong. The last 100 points is probably Endless spells, just not sure which ones yet.

Edited by mystycalchemy
Added List

2 hours ago, mystycalchemy said:

If  cut Drycha I can take all the Revenants up to 10-strong. The last 100 points is probably Endless spells, just not sure which ones yet.

You mean bring 40 spite revenants (4x10)? Probably not recommended, could be fun though ?

I think most people who run Dreadwood just bring the minimum 20 spite revenants for the battalion. Not only would bringing that many be very expensive monetarily, but spite revenants aren't very good at screening your other troops or tying enemies up. They are too few and can't take a hit. Use dryads instead because they are much tankier with their buffs and more cost effective points wise.

2 hours ago, Justinbot said:

You mean bring 40 spite revenants (4x10)? Probably not recommended, could be fun though ?

I think most people who run Dreadwood just bring the minimum 20 spite revenants for the battalion. Not only would bringing that many be very expensive monetarily, but spite revenants aren't very good at screening your other troops or tying enemies up. They are too few and can't take a hit. Use dryads instead because they are much tankier with their buffs and more cost effective points wise.

That's exactly what I was asking. Good to keep in mind! I think I'll just leave Drycha in there and go with that list (eventually ? )