AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

12 hours ago, Neffelo said:

I think she could probably still be 40-60 pts cheaper and still be a strong but not OP choice.

She was originally 600 so I doubt she would go right back down to that again. Remember that 60pts gave her access to glades, a better Talon, and a free Verdant Blessing.  She lost the additional self-heal which was probably the most painful nerf though. 

I actually wish we could take Alarielle and/or the Wardroth Beatle separate. Sometimes I want just a strong caster or a flying behemoth, and the model itself seems like it was intended to be removable. 

1 hour ago, overtninja said:

Park an Arch-Revenant next to your bow units to give them rerolls of 1. Rerolls make them much more reliable, even if they are hitting on 4s. If you run 6 bows, you can flank Archie with two groups of 3 and go to town on anything that you need to. Archie's command ability works with any Kurnoth on the field, so in such a list you really, really should be using one, or even two!

...I really hope they offer a clam-pack of the hero, it really makes Kurnoth lists much more potent.

Yea Archie is strong in KH list for sure, but I think if you are going to invest 500pts in a clump of bows then you might as well go nuts and run the Heartwood glade so you can reroll ALL hits with the bows. A branchwraith with the item and the Harmony spell will be much more effective.

Archie's command ability is strong but I prefer to use it on units of 6 Hunters, or even large blocks of Spites/Dryads. While it can reach all KH units on the board, it still only affects one unit per use. 

Hello! I have only played a couple 1000pt and 1250pt games and one thing that is really turning out to be a problem is line of sight for spells. I constantly have some of my own wyldwoods blocking line of sight for spells. I know that probably gets better with more practice but I feel like Wyldwood shouldn’t block LoS for Sylvaneth units. It makes no sense to me, that a Branchwych can’t target a unit of Dryads with Verdant Blessing while both are inside the Wyldwood, but 2 inches apart. 😕

Is it just me as a new Sylvaneth player or is that something you struggle with, too?

I think it just takes practice and a little forward planning. 

I assume you mean Verdurous Harmony rather than Verdant Blessing (which summons a Wyldwood). But you certainly shouldn’t ever have the 2” Dryad problem in practice - you moved the Dryads and you moved the Branchwraith, so why not get the Branchwraith within an inch of at least one of the Dryads? 

More generally, you can help a lot by making sure that you have the right spells on the right units. Healing spells are typically a poor choice for back-line casters because LoS can be difficult to manage around existing terrain even before you start adding more Wyldwoods.

If you want a spell to heal a unit then you need to have the caster capable of staying close to that unit. This is one of the hidden advantages of the TLA - he’s robust enough that he can support the front line. Drycha is a solid choice for Regrowth on the same basis - she may want to cast on herself, but even if she doesn’t, she can likely see the unit that does need healing.

In summary, caster selection and spell selection for each caster is about more than slapping a good spell on a caster and expecting it to work in the game. You need to think carefully about how you plan to use the caster and the spell, and whether that combination is viable in practice. And don’t leave trivial gaps between units in the same forest. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 4:18 AM, Pennydude said:

I recently won a small doubles tournament running 9 Bows (3x3x3) and partnered with Beastclaw Raiders.  Heartwood Glade so my Branchwraith had the artefact granting re-rolls.  The bows shot a Bloodthirster and 1 Bloodcrusher off the board on turn 1.  We won that game handily.  I dropped a Celestial Hurricanum down to 2 wounds (only 7/9 shot, bad deployment on my part, still fairly new) but it stopped all his magic shenanigans early one and won that game handily because of it.

Bows seem to be the least liked of the three variants but honestly, they are my favorites.  They can take down big threats (or knock them down a few pegs), snipe small heroes, and can still hold objectives.  I charged a unit of 3 Bows into melee combat and ended up controlling an objective because of that.  Five wounds each with a 4+ save (possibly re-rolling) is still huge even if they aren't killing a ton.  

Bows have an effective 35" threat range on turn 1 if you don't put them into reserves.  If you do put them into reserves,  you can have a much larger range.  Don't count the bows out just yet.  I ran two units of 3 in my 2000pt list and between those two units and Drycha, I took out a Keeper and Shalaxi pretty easily and Drycha didn't die.  

Hey @Pennydude, just wondering, at 2k, do you still play Heartwood? :)

Idea looks good!

1 hour ago, Pigey said:

Hey @Pennydude, just wondering, at 2k, do you still play Heartwood? :)

Idea looks good!

Haven't tried it yet at 2000pts but I do want to give it a go especially with the rise of OBR.  Mortek Guard don't get to re-roll saves during the shooting phase.  Don't remember if I posted it, but my 1000pts was 3x3 Bows, Branchwraith, 20 Dryads, 5 TR, Balewind Vortex.  My BCR partner ran Huskard on Stonehorn, Stonehorn Beastriders, 4 Mournfang Pack, 2x2 Frost Sabres.  

I may try something out with a 21 Kurnoth build (9 bows, 6 Scythes, 2x3 Swords), 2 Arch-Rev, 3x5 Tree-Revs, and 2 Branchwraith.  I completely understand that it may not hold objectives well but it's a glade I haven't tried out yet at 2000pts.  I will take any and all suggestions though!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Hello! I have only played a couple 1000pt and 1250pt games and one thing that is really turning out to be a problem is line of sight for spells. I constantly have some of my own wyldwoods blocking line of sight for spells. I know that probably gets better with more practice but I feel like Wyldwood shouldn’t block LoS for Sylvaneth units. It makes no sense to me, that a Branchwych can’t target a unit of Dryads with Verdant Blessing while both are inside the Wyldwood, but 2 inches apart. 😕

Is it just me as a new Sylvaneth player or is that something you struggle with, too?

It can be a bit annoying, but do note that you ignore woods for the purposes of LOS when you or your target fly. So Alarielle just flat out doesn't have to worry about it.

Branchwyches  don't really need to be inside of woods unless your opponent has the ability to snipe them off. They either want to cast a heal spell, summon a forest, or use their AOE spell. In all of those cases you want your Branchwych to be moving up the board each turn.

Branchwraith's are probably going to be summoning each turn, so LOS isn't really a concern.

But like Trevalyn said, the trick is to make sure you have the right spells on the right casters so this never happens. 2000pt games will probably alleviate some of your frustration because you will have access to more casters. 

• Like 1

Can someone clarify how exactly you place your pre-battle wyldwood? You got the pitch terrain rules and then the warscroll and they say different things. Does the warscroll win? Just need to know how far from an objective, other terrain, enemy territory, and whatever else. My meta is very confused. Ty!!

1 hour ago, Piikalo1 said:

Can someone clarify how exactly you place your pre-battle wyldwood? You got the pitch terrain rules and then the warscroll and they say different things. Does the warscroll win? Just need to know how far from an objective, other terrain, enemy territory, and whatever else. My meta is very confused. Ty!!

Pre-battle Wyldwood uses the rules in the General's Handbook errata (first page) - https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/age_of_sigmar_generals_handbook_errata_en.pdf.

Wyldwoods placed during battle then use the warscroll in the battletome.

You would place your faction terrain after players have chosen sides (If you can.  There may not be room for your Wyldwood due to how the terrain is laid out).

Once the battle has started you would use the rules for "Verdant Blessing" when attempting to place a Wyldwood which states;  "... If successfully cast, place 1 Awakened Wyldwood wholly within 24" of the caster and more than 1" from any other model, terrain feature or objective."

Not sure where you get 6" from objectives from?

On 12/10/2019 at 7:37 AM, Landohammer said:

She was originally 600 so I doubt she would go right back down to that again. Remember that 60pts gave her access to glades, a better Talon, and a free Verdant Blessing.  She lost the additional self-heal which was probably the most painful nerf though. 

I actually wish we could take Alarielle and/or the Wardroth Beatle separate. Sometimes I want just a strong caster or a flying behemoth, and the model itself seems like it was intended to be removable. 

Yea Archie is strong in KH list for sure, but I think if you are going to invest 500pts in a clump of bows then you might as well go nuts and run the Heartwood glade so you can reroll ALL hits with the bows. A branchwraith with the item and the Harmony spell will be much more effective.

Archie's command ability is strong but I prefer to use it on units of 6 Hunters, or even large blocks of Spites/Dryads. While it can reach all KH units on the board, it still only affects one unit per use. 

While I agree that she gained several accesses with the points increase, I don't think anyone can objectively say she is worth it right now. While a points decrease could put her at her old points value, I don't think that would be too strong. Externally she is really not near as powerful as she was back in the day.

Speaking of Points drops, what does everyone think we are going to have dropped?  My initial guess is at the very least we will see all of the Treelords drop in price. 

Thoughts on this Harvestboon build? 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Harvestboon
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: Seek New Fruit 
- Artefact: The Silent Sickle 
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
12 x Kurnoth Hunters (800)
- Scythes

Forest Folk (140)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

Ive played with the idea of adding a 2nd Durthu  with a Greenwood Gladius by swapping the dryads for a cheap Outcasts battalion 

1 hour ago, Lanoss said:

Thoughts on this Harvestboon build? 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Harvestboon
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Spiritsong Stave 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: Seek New Fruit 
- Artefact: The Silent Sickle 
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
12 x Kurnoth Hunters (800)
- Scythes

Forest Folk (140)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

Ive played with the idea of adding a 2nd Durthu  with a Greenwood Gladius by swapping the dryads for a cheap Outcasts battalion 

point changes for sylvaneth were literally just announced in the new GHB FAQ, so I would come back to this shortly.

1 hour ago, Lanoss said:

@Zanzou oh really?? I didn’t see this. 
so In the Jan faq Syls could get a points change?

It is official that they are getting a points change, I have no clue how much change though.   It is in the GHB errata right now that sylv points have changed, so the Sylvaneth Battletome Errata should appear soon.

3 minutes ago, Emissary said:

So all three treelord variants went down plus Alarielle.   -20 points for treelords and -40 points for durthu and ancients.  Alarielle went down 60.  Should open some things up.  

Have they already published points? Its not appeared on Warhammer-Community site... Can you send a link with the updates points?