AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, velocitydog said:

Awesome, thanks!!!  I don't hate the models but just like the pure walking tree look of the others.  From what I've read they are great for objectives.

Dryads are good for holding objectives, especially if you can get a Wyldwood close by.

Tree Revenants are good for taking unprotected objectives, but most players won’t leave one unprotected for you to teleport onto unless they’re out of units to hold it, so the Tree Revenants often do more duty as a threat (forcing enemy units to camp distant objectives rather than participate) or as charge blockers. 

Personally, I much prefer the Revenant models to the Dryads, and they are still walking trees, just walking trees with ghostly torsos fused to them. The bigger loss is Drycha, who also sports the torso-in-a-tree look.

But while you miss out on a few tricks by ignoring them, you can still field a competitive list with just Dryads. You’ll just have fewer competitive options to choose from. 

On 10/3/2019 at 4:32 PM, Emissary said:

Personally I have 80 Dryads (units of 30, 30, 10 and 10).  Also 1 Treelord, 2 TLA and 2 Durthus.  for the extra treelord, you can't really go wrong using it for the 2nd TLA for Lords of the Clan or just a second Durthu in general.  I wouldn't build a 2nd Treelord personally.  I'd rather just have a unit of 3 Sword Hunters.

I like the sound of that... 

On 10/4/2019 at 8:08 AM, Trevelyan said:

That varies by local player base. If I turned up to an event with a Spirit of Durthu holding a magnetised TLA staff I would expect most people playing me to ask “why is your Durthu holding a staff?”

You might get a little more leeway with the standard Treelord head vs the Ancient head (assuming people don’t miss the huge beard on the Ancient, but Durthu has a very distinctive face. 

If you are going to magnetise the right hand on a fourth model then I’d recommend building the rest of it as the type it is likely to be most often to minimise confusion. 

😂 I can see the virtues and practicalities of that.... Personally, I this I'll build 2 Ancients, a Durthu and a regular Tree Lord. Although having said that, for a beginner, putting the Tree Lords together is no mean feat! 😩 

11 hours ago, Ian Wallsh said:

Can anyone recommend where I can learn to paint like a pro....? I'm still busy "Assembling" my first Sylvaneth Army but I'd really like to make them look good!!! 😁 

There are a lot of online videos. GW produces a fair few of them with links to basic tutorials in the citadel colour app. Following those is enough to get to to a good tabletop standard. 

Actually painting like a pro takes a lot of time and effort. 

The biggest tip for a complete beginner is to thin your paints. Think paint is the root of all evil. 

Edited by Trevelyan

On 10/5/2019 at 6:58 PM, Ian Wallsh said:

Can anyone recommend where I can learn to paint like a pro....? I'm still busy "Assembling" my first Sylvaneth Army but I'd really like to make them look good!!! 😁 

There is a really good Warhammer TV episode on painting Dryads. You can use the same method on the rest of the army.

However if you are first-timer when it comes to painting, I would strongly recommend you consider the "wash-method". Its a fantastic way to get a tabletop quality army done very quickly without the need for advanced techniques. Its particularly effective on Sylvaneth models.

-Prime with a matt white spray paint

-Use Agrax Earthshade on Wood areas

-Use Hexwraith Flame on leaves

-Use Nihilakh Oxide on ghostly parts like Spites/Tree Revenant bodies (weapons too!)

If you make a mistake, just paint over the mistake with white paint, let dry, then rewash!

Done!

Also note that if you ever want to repaint your models using traditional paint later, you can paint over washes without losing much detail.

Goodluck! 

Hey Trevelyan,  thanks for the earlier advice.  I'm not 100% opposed to the revenants, just not sure about the look.  I'm going for a Halloween-themed army.  Everything painted a dark brown, inked with Seraphim Sepia, drybrushed with progressively lighter shades of brown, add some lichen, give the leaves fall colors and paint the eyes glowing orange.  If I paint the spirits as ghosts they could look quite good.

Ian, I'm an OK painter and the two things I've found most useful to painting well are 1) good, fine-tip brushes and 2) patience...you can't rush a good paint job (well, maybe the pro painters can but I ain't one of them).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, velocitydog said:

Hey Trevelyan,  thanks for the earlier advice.  I'm not 100% opposed to the revenants, just not sure about the look.  I'm going for a Halloween-themed army.  Everything painted a dark brown, inked with Seraphim Sepia, drybrushed with progressively lighter shades of brown, add some lichen, give the leaves fall colors and paint the eyes glowing orange.  If I paint the spirits as ghosts they could look quite good.

Ian, I'm an OK painter and the two things I've found most useful to painting well are 1) good, fine-tip brushes and 2) patience...you can't rush a good paint job (well, maybe the pro painters can but I ain't one of them).

If you go with a blue/green ghost color for the ghostly parts of the spites they'll look fantastic imo. You could do something delightful with Spite-Revenants as well, depending on how aggressively you pursue the theme - jack-o-lanterns and the headless horseman come to mind. 😛

• Like 1

Any thoughts on adding Gotrek to a Sylvaneth list?  I am helping my father-in-law build his Sylvaneth and he's hoping for a competitive way to include Gotrek.  As Sylvaneth already have very points-efficient battleline in Dryads, I thought there might be points to make it work, but i'm not very familiar with the army, in general.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Neomaxim said:

Any thoughts on adding Gotrek to a Sylvaneth list? 

As Sylvaneth already have very points-efficient battleline in Dryads, I thought there might be points to make it work

I’ve not had the chance to try Gotrek personally, but from what I’ve heard from a guy at my local venue who has, the way to make Gotrek work in a list is to put Gotrek in the list. Everything else is plain sailing. More realistically, you probably want to avoid having him swamped by elite infantry, so some cheap bodies to babysit are likely useful. Which brings me to...

Spite Revenants are a more point efficient battleline than Dryads by some distance. Using Dryads you need at least 300 points. Spites are only 180 for the minimum, and for 280 you can take an outcast battalion. 

Hello fellow treeple! I’m new here, this’ll be my first post. I’ve just come into possession of a 2k Sylvaneth force and am really eager to get stuck into playing this beautiful army. I’ve been painting some units already and they’re even fun to paint! So I want to chuck up my list, unfortunately what I have is what I have so no real juggling anything around as far as additional/different units go, however if you have any ideas for good battalions I’m all ears. Also I’m wandering which Glade you guys think would best suit this force.

Thanks so much for looking :) 

LEADERS

- Spirit of Durthu

- Branchwych

- Drycha (what a gloriously awesome model!)

- Arch-revenant

BATTLELINE

- 20x Dryads

- 20x Spite -revenants

- 10x Tree-revenants

OTHER

- 3x Kurnoth Hunters

- 3x Kurnoth Hunters

- 3x Kurnoth Hunters

(Not built yet, but I’m thinking 2x3 Bows and 1x3 Swords)

Additionally I have 2 lots of the new trees.

53 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Hello fellow treeple! I’m new here, this’ll be my first post. I’ve just come into possession of a 2k Sylvaneth force and am really eager to get stuck into playing this beautiful army. I’ve been painting some units already and they’re even fun to paint! So I want to chuck up my list, unfortunately what I have is what I have so no real juggling anything around as far as additional/different units go, however if you have any ideas for good battalions I’m all ears. Also I’m wandering which Glade you guys think would best suit this force.

Thanks so much for looking :) 

LEADERS

- Spirit of Durthu

- Branchwych

- Drycha (what a gloriously awesome model!)

- Arch-revenant

BATTLELINE

- 20x Dryads

- 20x Spite -revenants

- 10x Tree-revenants

OTHER

- 3x Kurnoth Hunters

- 3x Kurnoth Hunters

- 3x Kurnoth Hunters

(Not built yet, but I’m thinking 2x3 Bows and 1x3 Swords)

Additionally I have 2 lots of the new trees.

Hello! 
Looks like a solid collection for sylvaneth.

Personally I would magnetize the Kurnoth Hunter so you can play-test all different versions. If you don’t like the idea of magnetizing, I would go with 6 Scythes (for one 6 man squad) and 3 with swords. 

The Spite-Revenants are excellent as 3x5 Units in the Outcast Battalion for the extra CP, extra Artefact, Drop count reduction and Battleline requirment.

In terms of a glade for your 2K list, I would go for Winterleaf and give your Arch-Revenant the glade Artefact and General trait. This will guarantee that almost anything gets destroyed when your buffed 6 man Scythe Kurnoth Hunters fight twice with 4 attacks each. 

Good luck for your game.

Thanks heaps for the reply.

so I’m thinking, based on your feedback, I could drop 5 tree-revs and 5 spites and then split the remaining 15 spites into 3x5 units, and with the saved points get the outcast Battalion. 

Winterleaf also sounds cool with the extra attacks and stuff so I’ll grab that. 

Only thing I’m a little concerned of is making the Arch-rev the general and giving her the relic and such. With only 5 wounds, won’t the enemy focus on her and kill her really quickly? 

4 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

Make Durthu the general and give the artefact to the arch revenant. The arch rev is potentially vulnerable but you’ll likely use the Kernel turn 1 or turn 2 and you should be able to keep her safe long enough. 

Plus she's mobile enough to get the kernal to where you need it.

2 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Another quick thought; would it be a waste for the Arch-revenant to hang around some bow hunters to give them the re-roll buff, while giving a group of melee hunters the extra attack command ability?

Depends on your playstyle. If you are going for the alpha strike style of list where you summon the hive, get the speed boost, teleport to a tree across the board and charge, then it would probably be a waste.  If you are going for a balanced list then it’s fine to hold the revenant back. You will probably be holding the objectives and forcing the enemy to come to you so your buffs will stay in range.

Edited by Griffin839

On 10/5/2019 at 6:58 PM, Ian Wallsh said:

This video will explain what happens when you dont thin your paints, and how to do it. This is gospel in mini painting bibles! Also if you are new to painting minis, consider using contrast paints from Games Workshop as a way to get a good looking army on the table and expand your use of base, layers, shades, glazes and more advanced techniques as you progress in the hobby! :)

3 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Another quick thought; would it be a waste for the Arch-revenant to hang around some bow hunters to give them the re-roll buff, while giving a group of melee hunters the extra attack command ability?

Probably worth trying. Envoys of the Everqueen lets you give the melee hunters an extra attack from anywhere, and they don’t generally need the rerolls to make their presence known, whereas the bow hunters have fewer attacks and a harder time hitting, so appreciate the boost. 

The one thing to consider is how you would then apply the Frozen Kernel to the melee hunters. The arch revenant is an ideal delivery mechanism thanks to her speed. You could give it to Durthu, but a unit of six scythe hunters with two attacks rarely need Durthu hanging around to help them. 

@Tiberius501

Thats a solid list. Winterleaf is probably your best glade, especially if you are new to Sylvaneth. Like everyone else said, the Arch Revenant is the ideal character to give the Kernel. 

I  don't think you need an Outcast battalion, unless you already plan on taking 3 full units of Spites at battleline. Spites need to be taken in larger units to be effective.  A unit of 5 is just a speed bump or an objective camper, and Tree Revenants are MUCH better at that job for a negligible price increase. 

On a side note/rant: I have always found the battalion taxes to be rather excessive. You are already severely altering your list, and you need at least two unnamed characters to take advantage of the additional item. So you are really paying like 3 separate taxes. The point costs should be cut in half for all but the most powerful battalions gamewide IMHO.

Hi everyone, would like to request some advice. I have two 1750 games coming up this month as part of a league, I'm currently joint first with major 7 wins and 1 loss. I expect to face two tough games against decent players this month. The first list I face is likely to be a Sacrosanct chamber with 3 celestar and a few other units. The second is LoN who is likely to have 2 VLOZD, 1 with the ethereal amulet. I suspect he will then be taking skeletons and necromancers for the remaining points, but I am unsure about this. The battle plan is Total Commitment, so all units have to be deployed at the start of the game. 

I am thinking of running the following list. (edit - Kurnoths are with swords not scythes). I also have access to dryads, branchwych and a treelord ancient as possible other options. Any advice on changes / how to play it would be welcome.

image.png.fb710c6e0438027ac51db51ef0cb8235.png