AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Trevelyan said:

I completely disagree with your second part. The real better choice is either Kurnoth Hunters or simply to play a proper Sylvaneth list. But those weren’t options we were asked to evaluate. 🙂

Oh yea Kurnoth would absolutely be the better choice (I even said so in an earlier post). But TBH even mediocre Sylvaneth units seem competitive compared to many of the Wanderers options. I always max out my allies allotment when playing Wanderers. 

18 minutes ago, overtninja said:

Won't really matter all that much since anyone wanting to play Wanderers is going to end up playing a Living City list, where you can take everything decent about a Wanderers army and a bunch of the goodies of a Sylvaneth army without significant drawbacks. That's the way I intend to field my neato elfy boys moving forward - though I'll have to figure out what to do with my 60 Glade Guard... sad times.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy Skaeth's and his leggy friends are Sylvaneth, they seem pretty good at 140, especially if you run lots of Kurnoth, and they've got a pretty fantastic signature spell for any application. I'm Keen to try it on the field! Also, fielding the Skaeth Squad with Sylvaneth and Wanderers together will be pretty solid, I think.

The Skaeth spell is insanely good, and note that if they are in fact Sylvaneth then he should get access to the Lore spells as well. I can only imagine a horde of Spite Revenants or Kurnoth Hunters wounding on 2's. The spell alone is easily worth the cost of a Branchwraith/wych. So if they have even a shred of combat/shooting ability then they should be a pretty good deal. 

My only concern is that the preview specifically mentioned "Oakenbrow" glades. So I really hope that they aren't exclusive to that glade. (fortunately I think the Y'tharI warband also had a glade allegiance with no actual in-game impact)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Landohammer said:

My only concern is that the preview specifically mentioned "Oakenbrow" glades. So I really hope that they aren't exclusive to that glade. (fortunately I think the Y'tharI warband also had a glade allegiance with no actual in-game impact)

Has GW ever confirmed that Ylthari being marked Oakenbow has no game impact? I can still choose, say, Winterleaf and: 1) use Ylthari,  2) get the double attacks on a six for Ylthari? and 3) can Ylthari use the Oakenbow command ability (yield to none)?

The more I read, the more I like this army :D

I am currently looking for a 1000 points list and I will most likely face:

Nighthaunt
Flesh Eater Courts
Tzeench
Slaanesh
Ironjaws
Idoneth Deepkin

Until now I do have:

1 Spirit of Durthu
1 TLA
30 Dryads
5 Tree Revenants
3 Hunter with Bows
3 Hunters with Swords
1 Branchwych

Would you have any suggestions, what would be in good use at 1k points?

Thanks in advance!

On 9/20/2019 at 9:08 AM, Trevelyan said:

I’d like to know the same. 

I could see Alarielle casting Throne then Spell Portal then summoning a distant  Wyldwood on turn 1, but if the Spell Portal is conveniently placed for the Branchwraith then it could also provide a means to keep the ‘wraith safe while still casting Regrowth on Alarielle or Durthu if necessary on subsequent turns from back in deployment. 

An early Metamorphosis snipe would be an alternative to a distant Wyldwood depending on what the army needs  

If I had to hazard a guess, I would imagine that the real strength of the spell is flexibility. 

I definitely agree that the reason you take it is utility. You can snipe 5 wound heros or chaff on objectives, then put trees on them and teleport a capturing unit there, or you could set up a nasty alpha charge if your opponent left it open. Its very resource intensive though so I wonder if it was worth it over all?

Personally, Id rather just set up bow hunters in a forest with re-rolls than rely on magic to snipe characters.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, Griffin839 said:

Personally, Id rather just set up bow hunters in a forest with re-rolls than rely on magic to snipe characters.

Setting them up IN a forest sadly is not going to work, due to the LoS restrictions of the Woods model.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, Battlefury said:

Until now I do have:

1 Spirit of Durthu
1 TLA
30 Dryads
5 Tree Revenants
3 Hunter with Bows
3 Hunters with Swords
1 Branchwych

Would you have any suggestions, what would be in good use at 1k points?

I posted something in response to a similar question recently (14 Sept). You can see the details upthread, but essentially you’ve already got the basis for a good 1000 point list if you take a unit of Dryads, a unit of Tree Revenants, a branchwych and one of Durthu or the TLA. But you will want to add a Branchwraith to your collection

2 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

I posted something in response to a similar question recently (14 Sept). You can see the details upthread, but essentially you’ve already got the basis for a good 1000 point list if you take a unit of Dryads, a unit of Tree Revenants, a branchwych and one of Durthu or the TLA. But you will want to add a Branchwraith to your collection

Thank you very much, I have found your post :)

I would have one question:

What does the Branchwraith make better than the Branchwych?

I do also own a Arch Revenant from the Looncurse Box, wich I would use to buff the Hunters.

But taking him would mean to drop the Spirit of Durthu from the list. Therefore I could take another Branchwyh, but don't know if it is worth it.

Spirit of Durthu is a wrecking ball, so i guess he would be great.

Edited by Battlefury

Taking this all comers list to a GT in a few weeks. Going to be a fun time. Has been running really well in practice. 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Winterleaf
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: My Heart Is Ice  
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Arch-Revenant (100)
- Artefact: Frozen Kernel  
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
Outcasts (100)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

11 hours ago, Battlefury said:

What does the Branchwraith make better than the Branchwych?

I do also own a Arch Revenant from the Looncurse Box, wich I would use to buff the Hunters.

But taking him would mean to drop the Spirit of Durthu from the list. Therefore I could take another Branchwyh, but don't know if it is worth it.

Spirit of Durthu is a wrecking ball, so i guess he would be great.

See Emissary for the Branchwraith. You absolutely want one. 

You almost certainly want either Durthu or the TLA. They are excellent in a 1000 point list (and in a 2000 list). It really depends whether you want a heavy hitter or a support caster. Whichever one you pick will almost certainly be your general  

If you’ve got an arch revenant then that opens up more options; it is better than then branchwych. 

I would be tempted to try something like Durthu, Arch Rev and Branchwraith, a unit of Sword Hunters, 20 Dryads and 5 Tree Revenants. If my mental arithmetic is correct that’s exactly 1,000 points. It’s a little lighter on casters than I prefer in a list, but it has a lot of hitting power. Try it and see if it works for you. If you want more casting then you can swap Durthu for a TLA and maybe add an endless spell. 

11 hours ago, Emissary said:

A branchwraith summons more dryads.  She's a critical piece in a sylvaneth army and is probably the only model that is mandatory to have 1-2 of for any decent army.

Emissary is wise. 

• Thanks 1

Hi All! 

I'm a new "Late Bloomer" to Sylvaneth and AoS.... 

I have 47 Dryads, 2 Branchwyches, 3 (eventually on arrival) Branchwraiths, 5 (on assembly) Tree Revenants and 3 Tree Lords /Tree Lord Ancients/Durthu and endless spells all in various stages of Assembly /undercoating.... 

I just wanted to ask you wise and Venerable folk, Do I have sufficient Forces to field a reasonable battle -worthy force.....? 

Secondly, can anyone offer me any advice before I go to War.....? 😁 

Kind regards 

Ian 

1 hour ago, Ian Wallsh said:

Hi All! 

I'm a new "Late Bloomer" to Sylvaneth and AoS.... 

I have 47 Dryads, 2 Branchwyches, 3 (eventually on arrival) Branchwraiths, 5 (on assembly) Tree Revenants and 3 Tree Lords /Tree Lord Ancients/Durthu and endless spells all in various stages of Assembly /undercoating.... 

I just wanted to ask you wise and Venerable folk, Do I have sufficient Forces to field a reasonable battle -worthy force.....? 

Secondly, can anyone offer me any advice before I go to War.....? 😁 

Kind regards 

Ian 

Kurnoth hunters and spite revenants are what you need.  At least 3 boxes of each.   And 3-4 Awakened Wyldwoods

Edited by Emissary

You have a reasonable force.

The only thing you need are some forests. I would get 2, so you can teleport between them. A bit more ok investmemt still but a start all the same.

Something like

Treelord ancient

Durthu +relic

Treelord

Branchwraith

20x dryads

20x dryads

5x tree revenants

Probably you could adjust to 1250 or so and have a good game of it. It would be a reasonable army.

Next things to buy would be the trees as mentioned and then maybe just more of whatever you enjoyed. Or maybe some hunters so you can have tried everything

Drycha Hamadreth (320)
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)
Spirit of Durthu (340)
Branchwraith (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
- Scythes
- Scythes
- Scythes
- Scythes
Outcasts (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112

Going to try this tonight.. low on bodies but it's worth a try. I had wyrm and hive instead of the 2nd wraith but figured that with only 2 casters it'd be a waste. It's not 12 scythes btw.. Just 12 and il see what I use. Probably 6 bows 3 swords and 3 scythes because that's is what I have painted and it's not bad.

Edited by Aezeal

5 hours ago, Ruhraffe said:

The list is published at aosshorts.

https://aosshorts.com/facehammer-gt-2019-report/

Thanks, I had already seen it by now, but it was not uploaded the time I was asking. :)

I have to say, I don't like that list, to be honest. Do you guys think it is mandatory to go so extremely Hunter heavy?

I am right now thinking about something like this:

Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: My Heart Is Ice
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Arch-Revenant (100)
- Artefact: Frozen Kernel
Alarielle the Everqueen (660)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
20 x Spite-Revenants (200)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords
Outcasts (100)
Spiteswarm Hive (50)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Inspiration is (obviously) the London GT list. I chose to knock down the Hunters to 3 and max out one S-Rev unit + a 5 man squad of T-Revs for more objective control. Depending on the match-up, Alarielle can either summon 20 Dryads or 3 more Hunters.

Thoughts?

One of the best things about our army is that I don't think it is mandatory to do anything. What that list does really well is mobility and board space and the potential for a really tough threat range on strong units with the spiteswarm. On objective games your opponent always needs to keep on objectives and you (reasonably) reliably pick off isolated units and redeploy on the next turn. You can use all the bdies to make sure the game is played on your terms.

Not my kind of list as I hate Dryads but very clever.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 4:46 AM, a74xhx said:

Has GW ever confirmed that Ylthari being marked Oakenbow has no game impact? I can still choose, say, Winterleaf and: 1) use Ylthari,  2) get the double attacks on a six for Ylthari? and 3) can Ylthari use the Oakenbow command ability (yield to none)?

TBH, I don't think it has ever came up, because nobody ever fields Ylthari in AOShaha.

But as far as I can tell, nothing in the Sylvaneth codex specifies that keywords restrict your glade choices. Many of the keywords appear to be for fluff purposes only. (ie "Free Spirits", etc)

12 hours ago, The World Tree said:

You can take Ylthari in non-Oakenbrow lists but they do not benefit from the chosen glade ability (eg. 2 hits on a 6) and cannot use Oakenbrow abilities in a non-Oakenbrow army.

That sounds sensible. Is that written down officially anywhere?

12 hours ago, The World Tree said:

You can take Ylthari in non-Oakenbrow lists but they do not benefit from the chosen glade ability (eg. 2 hits on a 6) and cannot use Oakenbrow abilities in a non-Oakenbrow army.

What makes you think that?

The Glades Allegiance Ability clearly states: “If your army is a Sylvaneth army you can give it a Glade keyword. All Sylvaneth units in your army gain that keyword.”

Technically, Ylthari’s Guardians would have two different Glade keywords if you run a Glade other than Oakenbrow. But since you only get any abilities for the Glade you pick (“If you pick one [Glade] from the list below, all units with that keyword benefit from the extra abilities...”) the Oakenbrow keyword is redundant. 

I know Winterleaf is the thing these days, but I'd appreciate any advice on this list. 

#Gnarlroot#

Are there any other endless spells I should consider swapping my current ones with?

- Glade: Gnarlroot
LEADERS
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Command Trait : Nurtured by Magic
- Artefact : Chalice of Nectar
- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
- Deepwood Spell : The Dwellers Below
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact : Spiritsong Stave
- Deepwood Spell : Throne of Vines