AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

19 hours ago, Milo said:

Good morning everybody, what do you think about this list?

Hi :)

I agree with the other answers: In my opinion you lack bodies and punch, for that I would cut one TLA, the batallion and Cogs as it is kind of redundant with the Hive.

This would free up 440 points which you could use to get more Hunters+ an additional Branchwraith + S-Rev bodies.

Or you could add Durthu as another trheat, together with a Branchwraith.

In both cases you wouldn't even lose a cast/turn, but gain more board control/punch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all.

Im a complete novice when it come to Sylvaneth. Massive fan of the models though and I’m looking at building a 2k list. Just wondering if I could get any pointers in terms of battlelines/unit size and any auto include heroes? I’m wanting to buy the tome and the basics then fill up the remainder of the points from there while I study the tome and crack into the painting.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

I think the strength of our new tome is the massive flexibility we have. 

In my opinion the thing coming closest to a must have (but isn't one, strictly speaking) would be 3x Spite-Revenants and the Outcast Batallion, as it is the cheapest way to fill battlelines and enables you to take an additional artifact, as our artifact choices are really great.

Additionally a Branchwraith is almost mandatory, as she can try to summon a unit of 10 Dryads every turn, which (in most games) leads to her not costing any real points by the end of the game.

By then you really have a lot of options:

• Kurnoth Hunters are really great, whatever loadout you choose.
  • Arch-Revenant is a really good support hero (though difficult to buy one, as it was only released in the Looncurse box so far)
  • Durthu is a very good choice for a General, as his Damage output tends to be insane with the correct artifacts + buffs
  • Drycha is a very solid option, especially in Glades like Winterleaf or Gnarlroot
  • Treelord Ancient is a good choice, as he is like a swiss army knife type of monster: You can boost his casting with artifacts, his stomp is really good, he has a decent melee profile and is quite tanky.
  • Dryads are a good battleline choice, which is more resilient than Spite Revenants and also has chances of good output due to their 2" range, which enables them to attack in multiple ranks.

This is not even a complete list, as almost all units in our tome have their uses. I think it is important to decide what kind of an army you want to play (magic heavy, melee focused, etc.) and then go from there. A Start Collecting box is a very good way to start, as it includes a Treelord kit, which you can build into any variant + some Dryads. From there you can then expand with Kurnoth Hunters, Spite Revenants, more Dryads/Trees etc, however your playstyle and preference is.

• Like 4

And I am also coming again with another list I want to try:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Harvestboon
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (340)
-
 General
- Trait: Seek New Fruit 
- Artefact: The Silent Sickle 
Treelord Ancient (300)
-
 Artefact: Spiritsong Stave 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdurous Harmony
Branchwraith (80)
-
 Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
-
 Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Arch-Revenant (100)

Battleline
20 x Spite-Revenants (200)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
-
 Scythes

Behemoths
Treelord (200)

Battalions
Outcasts (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Gladewyrm (30)
Spiteswarm Hive (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 111

The idea is to have to massive melee threats in Durthu and the blob of Hunters, while also having some shooting in between the three Treelords.

If everything works as planned, S-Revs + summoned Dryads will hold objectives, backed up by the vanilla Treelord, while Durthu + Hunters grind through the enemy lines, buffed by Harvestboon and/or Arch-Revs CA. TLA will support where he is needed, summoning endless spells to get Durthu and the Hunters into melee asap, or resurrect Hunters. Additionally I have three stomps to try to influence/disrupt the combats as much as possible in my favour, to ensure Durthu and Hunters stay healthy.

One topic is spell and artifact choice, especially on the TLA. Do you think the Spiritsong Stave is worth it, or should I go for the Vesperal Gem to guarantee the resurrects (or healing, if i choose Regrowth on him)?

Additional feedback is of course also more than welcome. :)

• Like 1

I'd move the staff to one of the branchwraiths and give the branchwraith throne of vines.  Then use her for summoning.

Then give the other branchwraith verdurous harmony and have her follow the hunters.

Give the ancient regrowth since it will help him most.

I'd probably also drop the treelord for hunters with swords.  

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 8:06 AM, Troll.exe said:

Awesome that’s a great help thanks. There’s a lot there for me to go off.  I’m leaning towards magic heavy at this stage but I’m sure I’ll be adjusting my mindset as I progress into it. Thanks again 👌

Also don't forget to pick up some awakened wyldwood if you don't already have the old models. They are very useful for all sizes of games. 

Thoughts about this list?

- Glade: Winterleaf
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: My Heart Is Ice 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Alarielle the Everqueen (660)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Arch-Revenant (100)
- Artefact: Frozen Kernel 
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Battleline
10 x Spite-Revenants (120)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
- Scythes

Battalions
Outcasts (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Spiteswarm Hive (50)
Gladewyrm (30)

Wounds: 88

10 hours ago, Figoios said:

Thoughts about this list?

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: My Heart Is Ice 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Alarielle the Everqueen (660)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Arch-Revenant (100)
- Artefact: Frozen Kernel 
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Battleline
10 x Spite-Revenants (120)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Units
- Scythes

Battalions
Outcasts (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Spiteswarm Hive (50)
Gladewyrm (30)

Wounds: 88

Hello, 

I like this list!!I probably will change the artifact of Dirthu with the Greenwood Gladius (+2 Attacks to one melee weapon if the bearer has made a charge in the same turn).

12 hours ago, Milo said:

Hello, 

I like this list!!I probably will change the artifact of Dirthu with the Greenwood Gladius (+2 Attacks to one melee weapon if the bearer has made a charge in the same turn).

Ghyrstrike is (on average) better than the Gladius on a charge (vs 4+ safe and with + 2 attacks from woods):

Ghyrstrike:

5 (attacks) x 5/6 (2+ to hit) x 5/6 (2+ to wound) x 5/6 (chance for the opponent to not safe on a 6+) x 6 (weapon damage) = ~17,4 damage

Gladius:

7 (attacks) x 2/3 (3+ to hit) x 2/3 (3+ to wound) x 5/6 (chance for the opponent to not safe on a 6+) x 6 (weapon damage) = ~15,6 damage

The only upside is that the Gladius has the potential for more damage (42 vs 30 maximal damage). The downside is that the Spirit of Durthu will not be getting the +2 attacks from charging in every combat phase (which lowers the Gladius damage to ~11,1 damage). 

Hello everyone.  I'm new and glad I finally found a Sylvaneth Forums. I wanted to share the two lists I have been having success with at small 3 round local tournaments and get some feedback on ways to maybe improve them before a GT.

List 1 Harvestboon with Alarielle

- Glade: Harvestboon
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: Seek New Fruit
- Artefact: The Silent Sickle
Alarielle the Everqueen (660)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages
20 x Dryads (200)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
Forest Folk (140)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Gladewyrm (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 83

Army is designed to work with Alarielle as the center. She just brings such good utility and flexibility its really nice to have. First turn she usually summons a unit of hunters with bows to snipe characters or with swords to kill chaff depending on my opponent's list. After that she usually will usually cast throne of vines, summon/dispel endless spells, attempt to metamorphosis something, or summon a forest if there is an open spot. I tend to summon 3-5 forests a game. This list needs the LOS blocking feature to help protect most of the models in it as well as give scoring dryad units a place to teleport to. Durthu and Drycha are the ones who kill everything. Alarielle doesn't really get into combat until the end. 40 dryads doesn't seem like a lot at first, but I tend to use the small 10 man units as objective holders and not combat units. A Branchwraith is nice to keep summoning Dryads. I will usually get 2 or 3 summons off a game. The extra bodies helps mitigate the cost of the characters. Harvestboon is perfect for a list like this because it really is all about the characters and keeping Durthu alive as long as possible is a big deal. Especially when he swings for 7 attacks re-rolling 1s on charges.

List 2: Kurnoth Hunters and Winterleaf

Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
- Trait: My Heart Is Ice
- Artefact: Frozen Kernel
Arch-Revenant (100)
Arch-Revenant (100)
Branchwraith (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Greatbows
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

This one is a lot more straight forward and a lot of fun. Its not as balanced as the other list though, sacrificing almost all of the magic phase and the ability to summon trees to focus on killing. Spites and summoned Dryad units hold objectives and chaff big enemy hordes. 1 Arch-Revenant sits back with the Hunters with Bows deleting things from max range while the other advances with the rest of the army. Greatswords engage the smaller chaff units or double up with the scythes to deal with the hordes. The Branchwraith will usually try to summon forests with verdant blessing the first 2 turns, and then in the later game summon Dryads to get onto objects in the late game. I like Winterleaf with this list a lot. The extra hits and the Dweller like command ability really help mitigate the lack of magic. Tempted to drop an Arch-Revenant for another branchwraith to summon more trees/dryads. Not sure yet though.

• LOVE IT! 1

Dropping a unit of hunters and getting the outcast and a wraith? The extra item to boost casting maybe if you want a stronger magic phase?

Your first list and the strat you mention seem dependant on Durthu a lot.. sadly there is a not insignificant chance they can deal 12 damage to him before you can heal him, depending on your opponents list ofc.. but still.

Edited by Aezeal

List I've been thinking about for a local 2000 pt tourney. I like the harvestboon retreating Durthu gimmick enough to give it a whirl.

Harvestboon

Household-100

Outcasts-100

Spirit of Durthu -340

-Ghyrstrike

-General: Seek new fruit

Branchwraith-80

-Spiritsong Stave

-Throne of vines

Branchwraith-80

-Verdous harmony

Branchwych-80

-Regrowth

Arch revenant -100

-Silent sickle

Battleline

Spite revenants X5 -60

Spite revenants X5 -60

Spite revenants X5 -60

Tree revenants x5-80

Treelord -200

Kurnoth hunters scythes x6 -400

Kurnoth hunters swords X3 -200

Endless spells

Spiteswarm hive -50

1990 pts

Standard GHB missions 

I'm wondering if the reliable summoning will make up for lack of bodies. Main punch is from Durthu and 6 scythes. Sword hunters roam and support summoned dryads. The spites are there for battalion and will mostly stay put on objectives. Treelord can potentially offer double stomp with Durthu or just single stomp. 

Branchwraith with stave in conjunction with throne of vines is the source of either a reliable spite swarm hive, dryad summon, or wyldwoods summon. 

Branchwych and second BW sticks with Durthu and hunters to heal and harmony, summon if main dryad is overworked, or into new woods.

Tree revenants are last minute ob takers / road blocks.

Thoughts?

Edited by SkiRootz

2 hours ago, Emissary said:

You need a treelord for the household battalion.  Am I missing it in your list somewhere?

It is missing in the list but seems to be included in the points. I assume the failure to actually list it is an oversight rather than a genuine omission. 

Edited by Trevelyan

My apologies , definitely an oversight, well, I played against a tzeentch daemon player today and got my magic suppressed hard with fate dice + lord of change unbinds. 0 successful spells all game which made 250 pt + of my army obsolete and took away the whole point of the spirit stave + throne of vines combo. Brutal.

Inability to cast or place a second wood hurt alot , did well to snag a couple of early points but lack of bodies lost me objectives turns 3-5. I found myself sorely missing an acorn or a communion for the essential second woods.

Durthu did his job and killed 9 enlightened on disk, the Lord of change , blue scribes as well some pink horrors but by then i was too far behind in objectives and he was just 1 Durthu. 

I can definitely see the uses of frozen kernel on the 6 scythes. As the extra pile in after killing his blue horror screen would have killed his big bird + gaunt summoner. 

Overall, while cool the harvestboon list I used feels too invested in Durthu, poor objective grabbing, and over reliance on spell combos, that as shown in the game with reliable debuffs , absolutely threw a wrench in my plans.

I think I'm going to try winterleaf, drop Durthu. Get TLA for the auto wyldwoods + Vesperal gem with verdant harmony to bring back the scythe /sword hunters. Getting unbound in key moments was devastating. Forest folk because of bodies and tarpit. Drycha as she's more versatile than Durthu with her ranges options + spells.

I'm still considering including the branchwraith with throne of vines as her combo is still viable just a little slower without spirit song stave, considering more bodies with forest folk I feel I can give up first turn summoning for throne set up.

Definitely a learning experience

So I'm considering going to my first local tourney with Sylvaneth and wanted some thoughts on the list. My model selection is a bit limited so I guess it would be more fair to ask for general weaknesses in the list so I know where my strengths lie. 

Gnarlroot

Free spirits batallion

Treelord ancient 

- nurtured by magic

- regrowth

Arch revenant 

Branchwraith

- verduous harmony

- chalice of nectar

Spirit of Durthu

- Ghyrstrike

Branchwych

- the dwellers below

Dryads×20

T Revs×5

T Revs×5

Kurnoth hunters w/ sword ×3

Kurnoth hunters w/ sword ×3

Kurnoth hunters w/ bows ×3

Changes I can make are in artifacts and spells.  I have 30 more dryads and 5 more T Revs as well as 3 more sword wielding Kurnoth hunters. 

Any thoughts on strengths/ weaknesses of the list?

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

Any thoughts on strengths/ weaknesses of the list?

I would reconsider spell and artefact choices. 

You don’t mention which model is your general, but you want your general to cast reliably for the extra healing. In that list, the branchwraith has the Chalice so can cast reliably but if you intend her to summon then she will likely be towards the back so might not be able to heal with the command trait. Plus you’ll be torn between summoning and casting Verdurous Harmony, assuming you’ve even got LoS to cast VH in the first place. 

If your TLA is the general then you need to consider how to boost his spell casting (hint: it starts with Versperal and ends with Gem). 

Gnarlroot benefits from having casters up front to support heavy hitters with the rerolls. But you’ve only got one front line caster, so you won’t be able to benefit from that trait much either.

I’d suggest taking at least one more caster, making the TLA the general and giving him the Vesperal Gem instead of Ghyrstrike on Durthu. Between the TLA general and the new caster, one should have Regrowth and the other Verdurous Harmony. The TLA is guaranteed his cast each turn and both should be comfortable supporting front line units. The Branchwraith can sit back and summon reliably with the Chalice. 

If you don’t have a suitable additional caster then I would seriously reconsider Gnarlroot as your choice of glade. All you are really getting from it is the stronger summoning on the branchwraith. That’s nice, but there are better glades which would offer you more if you can’t leverage other Gnarlroot benefits. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trevelyan said:

I would reconsider spell and artefact choices. 

You don’t mention which model is your general, but you want your general to cast reliably for the extra healing. In that list, the branchwraith has the Chalice so can cast reliably but if you intend her to summon then she will likely be towards the back so might not be able to heal with the command trait. Plus you’ll be torn between summoning and casting Verdurous Harmony, assuming you’ve even got LoS to cast VH in the first place. 

If your TLA is the general then you need to consider how to boost his spell casting (hint: it starts with Versperal and ends with Gem). 

Gnarlroot benefits from having casters up front to support heavy hitters with the rerolls. But you’ve only got one front line caster, so you won’t be able to benefit from that trait much either.

I’d suggest taking at least one more caster, making the TLA the general and giving him the Vesperal Gem instead of Ghyrstrike on Durthu. Between the TLA general and the new caster, one should have Regrowth and the other Verdurous Harmony. The TLA is guaranteed his cast each turn and both should be comfortable supporting front line units. The Branchwraith can sit back and summon reliably with the Chalice. 

If you don’t have a suitable additional caster then I would seriously reconsider Gnarlroot as your choice of glade. All you are really getting from it is the stronger summoning on the branchwraith. That’s nice, but there are better glades which would offer you more if you can’t leverage other Gnarlroot benefits. 

In order the TLA is the general which is why I gave him the easy to cast regrowth though I know that's not as good as the chalice or the gem I don't consider getting the warlord trait to go off every turn to be a requirement. 

The branchwraith is always going to have the issue of being torn between summoning and whatever other spell she's given, I almost consider her 2nd spell to be non-existent with the 30 dryads I'm bringing for summoning and maybe I'm over valuing the free units but the consistency of summoning is one of my biggest draws to Gnarlroot.

I appreciate that the VG is THE option to pick but my issue with it is that there isn't a deep woods lore spell I want to cast every turn and I'm more likely to cast "awaken the woods" from the TLA than anything else due to low MW output in this list. I feel that way in general about the gem, our spell lore isn't bad but the warscroll spells are often better in my mind and the gem does nothing for them.

The Branchwych is also there to be a frontline caster even if shes not the toughest caster she's not hard to hide either. I have considered tree song instead on her, an idea that is much more appealing if I change glades but the RR on wounds isn't wasted either way.

I hope all of that wasn't too argumentative as I do appreciate that feedback. That said I do not have another caster to add to the list so which glade do you think better fits the list?  I've considered winterleaf but I don't feel like my list has enough weight of attacks for the 6's nor a suitable target for the kernel. I also don't dislike Harvestboon but it feels like a more situational RR 1's than Gnarlroot, I do like it's command ability better and could double up with the arch rev but again I'm not sure my list has a unit that's really designed to benefit from the glad (something like a 6 man scythe hunter unit), and I trade out reliable summoning for... the silent sickle.

I can certainly try out a few different configurations.

I missed the branchwych in the list. She would do as an extra caster, but then why not give her one of the healing spells?

I think you are selling the deep wood lore short. You’ve got Durthu as a heavy hitter and multiple small units of sword hunters (IMO you’d have been better building the nine melee hunters you have as six scythes and three swords rather than nine swords). Durthu’s damage output drops when he starts taking wounds, and small units of hunters are easy pickings for other heavy infantry - you could easily lose two from a given unit to a half credible offence and a lone sword hunter Is a sad mini. I would recommend that you reconsider the benefits of keeping Durthu properly healthy and being able to respawn hunters with some reliability. 

If you don’t go for Gnarlroot then you’ve got the makings of a reasonable Heartwood list with all of those hunters, or you could consider Harvestboon to help Durthu survive/avoid retaliation in combat. 

My prediction for the list you’ve got currently is that you’ll lack the ability to take a punch, and however reliably you can summon Dryads, it won’t make up for the losses you suffer among more significant units. 

On 8/21/2019 at 2:32 AM, Craze said:

I think the strength of our new tome is the massive flexibility we have. 

In my opinion the thing coming closest to a must have (but isn't one, strictly speaking) would be 3x Spite-Revenants and the Outcast Batallion, as it is the cheapest way to fill battlelines and enables you to take an additional artifact, as our artifact choices are really great.

Additionally a Branchwraith is almost mandatory, as she can try to summon a unit of 10 Dryads every turn, which (in most games) leads to her not costing any real points by the end of the game.

By then you really have a lot of options:

• Kurnoth Hunters are really great, whatever loadout you choose.
  • Arch-Revenant is a really good support hero (though difficult to buy one, as it was only released in the Looncurse box so far)
  • Durthu is a very good choice for a General, as his Damage output tends to be insane with the correct artifacts + buffs
  • Drycha is a very solid option, especially in Glades like Winterleaf or Gnarlroot
  • Treelord Ancient is a good choice, as he is like a swiss army knife type of monster: You can boost his casting with artifacts, his stomp is really good, he has a decent melee profile and is quite tanky.
  • Dryads are a good battleline choice, which is more resilient than Spite Revenants and also has chances of good output due to their 2" range, which enables them to attack in multiple ranks.

This is not even a complete list, as almost all units in our tome have their uses. I think it is important to decide what kind of an army you want to play (magic heavy, melee focused, etc.) and then go from there. A Start Collecting box is a very good way to start, as it includes a Treelord kit, which you can build into any variant + some Dryads. From there you can then expand with Kurnoth Hunters, Spite Revenants, more Dryads/Trees etc, however your playstyle and preference is.

What would be an example of a magic heavy list, I am looking to get into Sylvaneth as a chance to use endless spells, etc...

7 hours ago, Nerdkingdan said:

What would be an example of a magic heavy list, I am looking to get into Sylvaneth as a chance to use endless spells, etc...

Gnarlroot glade gives you the Chalice of Nectar, which allows you to roll 3d6 and keep two (presumably the highest two) when casting spells. That’s the obvious choice, but there are other useful artefacts in the book (such as the Vesperal Gem that allows you to automatically cast a spell from the deepwood lore).

Sylvaneth has never lacked for casters. Alarielle can cast three spells per turn. Taking Throne of Vines as her first spell to give +2 to casting rolls on the next two is a popular choice. 

6 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

Is there a change somewhere in the book that now makes a block of 30 dryads easier to kill?

Blessings of the Forest (-1 to hit the Dryads) now only applies if the unit is wholly within 6” (previously just within 3”) of a wyldwood. So dryad conga lines don’t work. But if the unit is wholly with 6” of the wyldwood it is marginally tougher than before as it only needs 10 models to gain +1 to save (previously 12).