AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/1/2019 at 8:05 AM, Dammitt_Jim said:

Edit: I've not bought any of these yet, but it's possible they might only be an approximation in terms of the actual base size, so if you're going to buy from them just be aware of that.

Mine just arrived. I can confirm that these new templates are a perfect match for the footprint of the real woods.

• Like 2

Hey all,

As an avid Nurgle player, I recently checked the Sylvaneth again. In the past I especially liked Drycha and Spite revenants, but specially the spite revenants where not attractive to me with respect to their dmg output. But.. this all has changed and I would say my dream came true, I feel it is possible to win games now with both Drycha and outcasts. So I’m tryin to figure out a nice army, which woukd let me win most games. (I dont want to use the term competetive, cause I dont play at major tournaments like LVO etc. etc., but I dont mind to have a maxed out list) So with this in mind, I came up with the following:

Winterleave Glade (or maybe dreadwood or if the army would fit both even better so i can switch between glades with my models)

Outcast battalion

Drycha, Arch-revenant, Branchwraith

3*20 spite revenants

6*Kurnoth hunters with greatswords.

endless spell spiteswarm

If I’m correct this shoukd be 1650 points so still some room for other units. 

Anyone here who would share their thoughts in how to fill in the blank, or maybe switch out some spites instead of the maximum I took for all three? Thx in advance.

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Anyone here who would share their thoughts in how to fill in the blank, or maybe switch out some spites instead of the maximum I took for all three? Thx in advance.

It’s not a bad start.

There is something to be said for considering a Treelord Ancient, as an extra caster, the source of an extra wyldwood and for the stomp. 

A lot has been said recently (in the last few pages) about the relative merits of scythe hunters vs sword hunters in large numbers. Worth checking that out to see whether you really want 6x sword hunters, 6x scythe hunters or 2x 3 sword hunters. 

• Thanks 1

I have had great luck with 6x scythes supported by an Archrevenant. I might do that 

You could also go +1 TLA, and then see if you can free up 30 points to get 5 tree revenants. They have been allstars for me so much so that I want a second squad

Hi gang, it's been a while (well about 8 years I think) since I wrote a list... so, new to AoS and new to this incarnation of Woo... I mean Sylvaneth. Any feedback on the following would be welcome! (And can I just say how delightful it is to write 100% forrest spirit list and not feel like I'm deliberately fighting with both arms and legs tied together...!)

Winterleaf

Arch Rev - General (seemed like the best spot for the compulsory Winterleaf gubbins)

Drycha - Regrowth (really didn't want to put here but it made some sense)

Branchwraith - Throne (best spell to put here or is there something I'm missing)

Treelord - Verdurous Harmony (hilarious)

4x 5 Spite revs

4x 5 Spite revs

1 x5 Spite revs

2 x6 Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes

1 x3 Kurnoth Hunters with Great Swords

1x Spiteswarm Hive

2 hours ago, Frowny said:

It doesn't look like you are running the outcasts battalion. So I would drop the squad if 5 spites and get a squad if tree revenants if you have the points. They are so amazing for objectives and board control

That's a good catch actually, thanks!

So the idea is for this list to take Drycha, have her summon the skullroot, and bravery bomb with the Spite Revs + Outcasts Battalion. 

Durthu will follow Kurnoth Hunters, if they're scythes, or may act more defensively if I take bows.

Arch-Rev is meant to buff bows with the rerolls of one and the extra attack command trait. If I didn't take the bows, I think I'd swap her out for a Brachwraith.

Spiteswarm hive will either help Kurnoth Hunters and Durthu with their threat range, or buff the saves on the spite-revs.

Winterleaf:

1x Spirit of Durthu: My Heart is Ice, Frozen Kernal

1x Arch Revenant, lifewreath or Hysh command point artefact

1x Drycha Hamadreth w/ Verduous Harmony

20x Spite Revs

10 Spite Revs

10 Spite Revs

3x Kurnoth Hunters w/ Scythes

3x Kurnoth Hunters w/ Bows or Scythes

3x Kurnoth Hunters w/ Bows or Scythes

Outcasts Battalion

Spiteswarm Hive

Vengeful Skullroot

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lenwe Seregon said:

Hi guys

Just a question on the free battalion option that comes in the star collecting box...is it useable? I don't see points or options for it elsewhere so is it free?

It’s just a bit of fluff for beginners. You can’t use it in matched play. 

18 minutes ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Arch-Rev is meant to buff bows with the rerolls of one and the extra attack command trait. If I didn't take the bows, I think I'd swap her out for a Branchwraith.

The command trait only gives a bonus attack in the combat phase, so the most you get for the bows is the reroll 1s.

That said, if you are taking 600 points of melee focused Kurnoth Hunters then you probably do want the arch-revenant to buff them. But taking units of 3 is very inefficient when it comes to using the command ability. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

It’s just a bit of fluff for beginners. You can’t use it in matched play. 

The command trait only gives a bonus attack in the combat phase, so the most you get for the bows is the reroll 1s.

That said, if you are taking 600 points of melee focused Kurnoth Hunters then you probably do want the arch-revenant to buff them. But taking units of 3 is very inefficient when it comes to using the command ability. 

Hi Trevelyan,

Thanks for the feedback, I've got a few games under my belt, but I'm still relatively new to AoS, especially Sylvaneth.

I can definitely take a unit of six hunters w/ scythes. 

Should I drop the third unit of Hunters and try to take something else?

What would you recommend? (Or anyone :))

Could fit in another 10 man unit of Spites and a Branchwraith.

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative

Hello everyone,

I'll be joining the Sylvaneth wagon (not made from lumber, I swear!) soon. I think I can figure out the list building enough on my own; however, one thing that I am wary about is the model count I should have on-hand for summoning. Would anyone happen to have a brief rundown of what units are best to have extras of, and how many?  For example, I know Dryads  are a fan favourite to summon, but how many would be a good amount to have on the side in a realistic matched play battle of, let's say, 2000pts?

All help is appreciated!

1 hour ago, Apologetic Canadian said:

All help is appreciated!

Over the course of a 5 round game, you’d realistically only expect a Branchwraith to summon 30 Dryads at most. The spell is t the easiest to cast, and even with Throne of Vines (which then takes a turn to cast anyway) you can fail or have the spell unbound. Some Glades will help - a Gnarlroot Dryad might summon 50 Dryads - but assuming 30 is safe. 

Alarielle can also summon Dryads. Although I often assume I’ll summon some sword hunters with her, the Dryads are a valid option more often than you might suspect. That’s another potential 20 Dryads. 

But you don’t really need 30-50 spare Dryads. If you are using them then they will die, and late game summons can come from the minis you’ve already removed. 

I’ve got 64 Dryads (made up as 6 Nymphs and 58 normal), made from four Start Collecting boxes, and that has always been enough for me. It does mean that Dryad spam lists are a challenge/impossible to run, but those seem less valid under the new book. It’s certainly enough to have a unit of 30, or two units of 20 with some bodies for extra summoning. 

EDIT: having a spare unit of sword hunters for Alarielle to summon is always worthwhile too. 

Edited by Trevelyan
Hunters
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Should I drop the third unit of Hunters and try to take something else?

What would you recommend? (Or anyone :))

You don’t want to ask me. I’m like a one trick pony - I always recommend 6x scythe hunters. That said, I do like another unit when I’ve got the points to spare. 

Your list already has Durthu and Drycha, though, so you’ve got plenty of punch available. In which case I suspect that the third batch of hunters may be superfluous. You’ll certainly struggle to find a place to put them into melee if you go swords. 

I think the 200 points could probably be better spent, but you might also want to tinker with the Spites for enough points for a Treelord Ancient.  

5 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

But it doesn’t say anything about the inclusion of Wyldwood on the list of allowed terrain for placement in matched play. 

Wyldwood = normal wood, so model sans special rules

Awakened Wyldwood = our cool bully trees

21 minutes ago, romhi said:

New Designer Commentary clarified that Vespral Gem cannot be used on Verdant Blessing and the Awakened Wyldwood placement during games.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/age_of_sigmar_sylvaneth_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf

Who is using the Vesperal Gem to put up trees? That's for irresistibly bringing back one Kurnoth Hunter from a 6-man unit every turn and mulching your opponent into the loam

Hi! As I have a Meeting Engagement this evening I just wanted to ask you guys for a quick feedback for my list. I'll be playing Nighthaunt.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

- Glade: Gnarlroot

SPEARHEAD

Branchwraith (80)

- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)- Greatswords

5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

MAIN BODY

Treelord Ancient (300)

- General

- Command Trait : Nurtured by Magic

- Artefact : Chalice of Nectar

- Deepwood Spell : Verdurous Harmony

Branchwraith (80)

- Deepwood Spell : Treesong

20 x Dryads (200)

REARGUARD

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

I'm debating if i should remove 10 of the 20 dryads for an ArchRev. Any other feedback is welcomed.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, overtninja said:

Wyldwood = normal wood, so model sans special rules

Awakened Wyldwood = our cool bully trees

I agree that makes intuitive sense, but there is currently zero official support for this view. GW hasn’t released a generic Wyldwood warscroll or any sort of clarifying remarks. 

Do you have a reference that I’ve missed?

Edited by Trevelyan
Typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Apologetic Canadian said:

Hello everyone,

I'll be joining the Sylvaneth wagon (not made from lumber, I swear!) soon. I think I can figure out the list building enough on my own; however, one thing that I am wary about is the model count I should have on-hand for summoning. Would anyone happen to have a brief rundown of what units are best to have extras of, and how many?  For example, I know Dryads  are a fan favourite to summon, but how many would be a good amount to have on the side in a realistic matched play battle of, let's say, 2000pts?

All help is appreciated!

I personally only bring 20. Do note that if you are fielding dryads as battleline, you can always bolster your summoning pool with your casualties.

Here is my logic for 20: I only want to summon turns 1-3 since after turn 3, the dryads just don't have the time to contribute much. And with a casting cost of 7, I will generally only successfully cast the spell 2 out of 3 times. 

Thrones is tempting, but most of the time I prefer to give it to Alarielle, as she can make much better use of it. 

1 hour ago, Landohammer said:

Thrones is tempting, but most of the time I prefer to give it to Alarielle, as she can make much better use of it. 

Worth noting that they can both have it, and even both benefit from it simultaneously. They just can’t both cast it on the same turn.  

But you can have the Branchwraith cast it T1 and then stay put churning out Dryads on subsequent turns with a +2 bonus as long as she doesn’t move. Meanwhile Alarielle uses the first of her three spells on turns 2-5 to cast Throne, then casts two more spells with the +2 bonus. 

Edited by Trevelyan

Played a couple of 2000 pt games with 2 lists almost all against a K.O friend. One featuring a spell heavy recursion style gnarlroot and one featuring a heavy free spirits tilt with harvestboon , below:

Harvest boon

Free spirits-140

Outcasts-100

Leaders

Spirit of Durthu-340

General

Command trait- Seek new fruit

Artifact: Greenwood gladius 

Arch Revenant-100

Artifact: The silent sickle 

Branchwraith -80

Vesperal Gem

Verduos Harmony

Branchwraith-80

Regrowth

Battleline

Spite revenants x 5 - 60

Spite revenants x 5 - 60

Spite revenants x 5 - 60

Tree revenants x 5 -80

Kurnoth hunters scythes x 6 -400

Kurnoth hunters bows X3 -200

Kurnoth hunters swordsx 3 -200

Endless spells - spiteswarm hive - 50

1950/2000

4 CP

List is geared around durthu coming in and removing hard targets with 7 swings on the charge , leaving combat before getting hit. Getting a wyldwood summon 2-3" away from an enemy unit is key to get the sword buff and a safe place to move 6" into after swinging. 

Against K.O this was devastating after durthu moved and charged huge distances under the spiteswarm hive , killed everything with flying and ran back into the wyldwoods.

Spites are just there for objectives , so are the summoned dryads. The 6 scythe hunters with tree revenant is the other threat with recursion from Vesperal and double command buff for +2 attacks on each scythe. Not quite winterleaf but its usually already overkill. 

Weaknesses were unreliable spells and lack of bodies,but the heavy kurnoth hunter presence provided the HP, durthu is very killy and extremely slippery with stomp and seek new fruit. With good woods placements he should not be getting shot after he swings and can fall back into screening units. 

Not the strongest list on paper , but effective if not extremely fun in objective play 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I am right now trying to find out what list suits my playstyle best.

First the list I am looking at right now for reference:

Glade:  Winterleaf

Realm: Ghyran

Heroes:

Spirit of Durthu (General) - My Heart is Ice - Ghyrstrike --- 340

Arch Revenant - Frozen Kernel --- 100

Treelord Ancient - Verdurous Harmony --- 300

Drycha Hamadreth - Regrowth --- 320

Branchwraith - Throne of Vines ---80

Battleline:

Spite Revenants x20 --- 200

Spite Revenants x5 --- 60

Spite Revenants x5 --- 60

Other:

Kurnoth Hunters x6 - Swords/Scythes --- 400

Batallions:

Outcasts --- 90

Endless Spells:

Spiteswarm Hive --- 50

This is 2k Points on the spot.

Definetly discussable is the loadout of Hunters, especially if I play 2x3 Swords or 1x6 Scythes and if the Spiteswarm Hive is worth the 5 Points, or if some other spell would be better.

From my first impressions, we are still able to pack a serious punch between Durthu, melee Hunters, S-Revs and the new Drycha, especially when combined with the Winterleaf glade.

My main concern is right now durabilty against other offensive lists.  I am torn as none of the options I see seems really satisfying:

- Changing S-Revs for Dryads disables Outcast batallion, which is the only one that seems to fit in my list.

- Gnarlroot seems really decent with the casting buffs, combined with Vesperal Gem to push through our important spells. But the question is, if it sacrifices to much of the raw killing power that comes from exploding 6s.

- Not defensive in general, but a more hit & run playstyle that could be achieved by using Harvestboon, helping Durthu to dart in and out of fights, 

What kind of options/ideas do you see to have a more balanced list?

Thanks!

• Like 1