AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Possibly a silly question - perhaps I’ve overlooked a core rule, or missed something in the new book (after reading the leaks for two months I admit to skimming the finished article) - but what is the purpose of the new “social class” keywords on the warscrolls?

We’ve got units listed as ‘noble spirits’ or ‘outcasts’, for example. It seems to be pure fluff. Is there any rule which actually references any of these keywords or are they completely redundant? 

I had my second game against Tyrands of Blood with my winterleaf on Tuesday.

Gave away turn one as had no real viable second wood placement (My new wyldwoods arriving will solve this as I can place a super small one with the 3 smallest parts of the wyldwoods). Turn one portal & meta killed me a Bloodsecrator, used alarielle and durthu shooting to thin ranks etc. In the end I managed to grind a scenario win out 22-16. I was glad to see the list doesn't completely fall apart if you don't get a second wood turn one, to be fair to my opponent had screened decently and not sure I could even get a solid alpha off. Still really enjoying the portal with alarielle and 5 packs of spites in winterlead, 5 of them straight up killed 10 reavers from fresh.

Edited by AaronWilson
  • Thanks 1

Hello together, as i´m very unexperienced and new to Sylvaneth, i have several general questions about this faction before i will start painting my miniatures.

Was  the balance of the new Sylvaneth internal and to the other factions successful fulfilled from GW? 

And what is your estimation about the powerlevel compared to other battle tomes in particular to the Tier1 battle tomes, but also to the other tomes?

Hi I'm starting sylvaneth right now and I have a few questions.

I have heard people saying that the teleportation abilities like Spirit Paths, Navigate Realmroots are usable even if you are in combat to disengage your units, taking them away ready to charge later on in the same turn. Is it right?

the kurnoth hunters ability " envoys of the everqueen" allows them to be in range of any command ability independently of their  position on the battlefield/distance from other heros and all units wolly within 12 of them count in range as well. Is that correct?

do you think there is any difference between the tree revenants leader weapons, enchanted blade or protector glance?

thanks!

Edited by Alessio

You can teleport out of combat. The designer’s commentary for the previous Battletome confirms this, but there is no reason to assume it has changed since. 

Kurnoths are always in range of command abilities as you suggest. This is very effective with the arch revenant. 

Played a few games yesterday with the following list :

Winterleaf
Alarielle (Throne of Vines)
Durthu - General
Branchwraith (Regrowth)
Arch Rev

20 Spite Revs
30 Dryads
5 Tree Revs

3 Kurnoth with Swords

Gladewyrm
Vengeful Skullroot

Both games Alarielle brought in another 3 Kurnoth with swords, which definitely did some solid work.

Alarielle was probably the MVP in both games. Took down Archaon in game one (Plaguetouched Warbvand - He had -1 to hit and +1 to wound, she almost got deleted first combat round from his swords ability). The exploding 6s on the Antlers are amazing, managing 8 hits from 5 attacks in one round against a Ghorgon in Game 2.

2nd game was against Beasts of Chaos. Alarielle again did plenty of killing, her 3 Summoned Kurnoth holding out against a charge of 6 Bullgors, only losing one and combined with some spells/shooting from Alarielle, killed the entire unit over a couple of turns.

Arch Rev didn't really do a whole lot each game, though maybe I'm not using him right. Used the Command Trait once on the Spite Revs, and once on the Dryads which helped, but considering bringing another Brandwraith instead.

Dryads did what they were supposed to. In game 2 they had to leave the woods to put some pressure on, you certainly feel the difference.
Spite-Revs did ok, but after losing 11 in one combat, the other 9 ran away in game 2 after making a charge against some gors (No CP - Had to reroll a 2 inch charge from Alarielle).

Really liked having the 5 Tree Revs, the ability to teleport out near an objective really helped.

I've got 3 kits of the new Wyldwoods but feel like I'm going to need more.. Had nothing to bring in after turn 2.

• Like 1

@SyrexYou'll get more out of the Arch-Rev if you use his command ability on Kurnoth with swords or scythes, since they do a lot of damage per attack, and they also benefit from the Arch-Rev's aura. On Dryads it's a bit lackluster since they don't have great attack stats, but Spite-Revs are a great target for it also.

I finally got around to playing a game myself, against my regular Nurgle opponent at the FLGS. He brought a pretty hard list, with Rotigus, an undying GUO with the Endless Gift, Bloab, A Lord of Blights, and a Blightking Battalion, and a surprise unit of Nurglings to deep-strike. I suggested he use the bell on the GUO instead of the sword, since he has felt like the 2.0 scenery rules give him more mobility issues, even with good cancer tree placement (it worked really well for him all game).

For my list, I wanted to try all the stuff that was pretty different with the new book, so I brought a Winterleaf army, a TLA as my general, a Household Battalion, Drycha, an Arch-Rev, 10 Spite-Revs and 5 Spite-Revs to round out my battle-line, 6 Kurnoth with Scythes and 3 Kurnoth with bows. I also too the Gladewurm endless spell, and then forgot to use it all game, because I am a pro. I also forgot to use the new Command Ability for my General, or the new Winterleaf Command Trait, which was also pro.

We played the 2019 Focal Points battleplan, and my opponent ended up with an arcane ruin to buff is casting for both Bloab and Rotigus, which was awful, since they have really nasty field-wide attack spells, while my side of the field had Deadly ruins. The center was dominated by a Dreadfire portal (sadly unclaimed all game) and a Magewrath Throne (which was heavily contested by both sides), which flanked the center objective. With the new scenery rules, my Wyldwood (still using the old ones, sad) was hard to place, and since we couldn't find anything that said otherwise, my opponent put his Gnarlmaw just a bit into my side of the table, so he could better snag the middle.

The game went really back-and-forth, with my opponent holding the middle with all his Blightkings against Drycha, my TLA, 10 Spites, and an occasional Treelord, who spent a lot of the time hopping around the map fighting fires. Putting down new woods was difficult, and while my Spirit-Revs snagged a cross-table objective on turn 2, they were swiftly dealt with my the GUO, who was hedged out of effective combat for most of the game, even though his movement buffs to the other units proved extremely potent. Rotigus and Bloab bullied my army very effectively from their Arcane terrain spiking my Arch-Rev first turn (she was saved by her Ultimate Sacrifice ability, but , but it kept them out of melee until my 6-man Scythe unit chewed through the Blightkings in their way and went ham on them at the end of the game. The Treelord stomps helped a bit, but mostly the extra offensive power of the Spite-Revs and the teleports from the Spirit-Revs are what really helped me keep up with my opponent on points. Kurnoth continue to be amazing, of course.

By the end, not many things were standing, but the MVP of my game was my Branchwych - she survived most of the game on 1 wound remaining, survived solo combats with Nurglings (which she killed) and a late-game summoned Beast of Nurgle (which she ran from), as well as all the 'anyone I want takes d3 mortal wounds' spells and abilities that Nurgle brings to the table. I gave her the spell to restore a model to a unit and the Vesperal Gem artefact, which meant that every turn I was automatically bringing back a whole Scythe Kurnoth model. It's dumb strong, and kept my Bully Squad going into the 3rd and 4th turn, when I was running on fumes and needed to do outrageous damage. Also, thanks to the new GHB2019 command abilities, I was able to buff the Kurnoth for combat and claim the crucial last-turn objective to squeeze the points I needed to just barely win.

In all, the army feels stronger and more capable, and does a much better job of growing back from damage than they used to. The artefacts are really attractive, and the new glade rules do a great job of defining playstyles. Winterleaf is going to be extremely common with the new rules. Also, exploding 6s are dumb on Scythe Kurnoth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from a two day tournament.  I went 3-2 with the following list.  I beat Idoneth Eels, Flesh Eater Courts, another Death army (2 x zombie dragons).  I lost to Night Haunt and Daughters of Khaine (although this was very close and if I had managed a stomp with Durthu it could have been a win).

My list was :

Gnarlroot

Allarielle (Throne of Vines)

Durthu

Tree Lord Ancient (Nutured by Magic, Regrowth)

Branchwraith (Chalice of Nectar, Dwellers Below)

20 Dryads

2 x Tree Revenants

Treelord

Spiteswarm Hive

I used Allarielle to summon another Treelord in all the games except 1 (against Idoneth where I used Hunters with Sythes).

The list was quite durable, and Treelords with Stomp are brilliant.

Edited by CaptainBerk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from a one dayer. I went 2-1 beating an Archaon and Nighthaunt but losing to Seraphon. I tied for 3rd overall. 

Quick takeaways

-Winterleaf is insanely good. The exploding 6s are nice on dryads and spites, but they really start to shine on Hunters, Alarielle, and even Treelords. The frozen kernel won me the game vs Archaon as it allowed me to swing with Alarielle twice before he could retaliate. 

-Drycha is very reliable. Her volume of attacks make her less prone to whiffing. I usually ran her in shooty mode turn one, then switched to fighty mode from then onwards.  

-Hunters are absolute MVP. I used greatswords in groups of three. I had two of them put NINE wounds on Archaon.  If you have Revenant and Alarielle support, they are rerolling 1's to hit and wound!

-I think I may drop dryads in favor of spites for battleline. Dryads are really solid, but only outperform spites while near the woods. And despite summoning multiple woods each game, I never managed to keep them wholly within 6 of a wood during combat. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CaptainBerk said:

Just got back from a two day tournament.  I went 3-2 with the following list.  I beat Idoneth Eels, Flesh Eater Courts, another Death army (2 x zombie dragons).  I lost to Night Haunt and Daughters of Khaine (although this was very close and if I had managed a stomp with Durthu it could have been a win).

My list was :

Gnarlroot

Allarielle (Throne of Vines)

Durthu

Tree Lord Ancient (Nutured by Magic, Regrowth)

Branchwraith (Chalice of Nectar, Dwellers Below)

20 Dryads

2 x Tree Revenants

Treelord

Spiteswarm Hive

I used Allarielle to summon another Treelord in all the games except 1 (against Idoneth where I used Hunters with Sythes).

The list was quite durable, and Treelords with Stomp are brilliant.

Interesting list. I wouldn't think using 2 Treelords would be very good. It's 400 points and it basically could be another Durthu. In games in which your Durthu or Allarielle get killed do you feel like you have enough punch?  I love going for more stomps but the Treelords aren't going to do much killing. 

I just built the new Wyldwood set, and I'm happy to report that all the old kits would be pretty easy to convert to be similar to the new ones.

At first I tried to chop up the old plastic base into the new bases' shapes. It's probably doable, at least as the core of what you want to do. Otherwise, you could model the approximate shapes out of pretty much whatever as long as you can greenstuff over it. Aluminum foil would work pretty well I think.

The old trees themselves are about as tall as the new trees, but the old ones have a lot of branch density lower on the tree, which is why they are rather bad for AoS. The new trees are also stylistically different than the old trees - they look more like mangroves with their raised roots than the old ones, which look like evil apple trees. I think it wouldn't be hard to raise the trees a bit, and if you've got a bunch of unassembled old trees like I do, I think coverting them with new roots or extending the bases would work really well.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:17 AM, Trevelyan said:

Community question: how are people seeing the GHB errata removal of “citadel wood” and insertion of “wyldwood” in the matched play terrain table interpreted locally?

My initial assumption was that a “wyldwood” was something distinct from an “Awakened wyldwood”, so we couldn’t take faction friendly terrain as part of the basic matched play terrain placement. Essentially it was a covert rebranding of the existing Citadel Wood Warscroll. 

I assumed we would get an update to the warscrolls in the app to clarify this when it was updated with new Sylvaneth content  but the app is updated with our content and there is still no generic wyldwood.

Recently I've seen people locally, not even other Sylvaneth players, seem happy to assume that they can deposit Awakened Wyldwoods as basic terrain. When neither player is Sylvaneth, they present an interesting hazard and can potentially limit (or sometimes enhance) magic-heavy armies. One local Tzeentch player has to think much harder about where his units and casters are when spells start flying. An Orruk player pointed out that he can place Realmgates as generic scenery and through his allegiance ability to improve his mobility, so doesn’t see an inherent objection to Sylvaneth doing the same.

Perhaps the change from a Sylvaneth wood to a generic Awakened Wood represents a shift in approach - they aren’t a faction specific feature any more so much as a generic feature that our faction works well with. 

Is there any emerging consensus around this elsewhere? What are people seeing in practice? I’d anyone else even discussing it?

Maybe a further update will appear to clarify this after the weekend, but if it doesn’t... thoughts?

This is still unanswered. Two points: currently there is no “wyldwood” warscroll. Basic logic says they’re talking about the Awakened wyldwoods, but its unclear. It is possible that they meant “citadel wood”. While there is still a warscoll for citadel woods, those woods are no longer sold on the website.  Makes it kind of hard to suggest that you can only use a model they no longer sell. 

I put in a FAQ to the design team so hopefully it will be addressed in the commentary (which should drop this next weekend or thereabouts). My guess is they’ll either give the go-ahead that it’s an awakened wyldwood (I give this a 70% chance) or they’ll issue a new warscroll for a “wyldwood” (I give this a 30% chance).

I think the second option is less likely, only because it means issuing a new warscroll that will probably need to be different from the citadel wood warscroll and yet requires the use of the same models as the “awakened wyldwood” which might prove confusing on the board, since teleport woods and non teleport woods are both “wyldwoods” and will be using identical models. 

On 7/26/2019 at 6:57 AM, kench1 said:

It says if you use an "allegince ability" or a "warscroll" to place terrain its 3" from other terrain.  The spell and the artifact are none of these :D

Spells and artifacts are allegiance abilities (as I found out recently).  But see below:

On 7/24/2019 at 6:41 AM, CaptainBerk said:

Edit : I've just read through the FAQ again. It reads like the 3" from terrain restriction affects even woods placed during the game? This makes it much trickier to place the vital 2nd wood...I hope they change this in the Sylvaneth FAQ.

It’s a bit sticky, because the language in the passage is a bit weird. But it is a long standing rule that battletome/warscroll rules supersede core rules when there is a conflict. When there is not conflict you must use both rules. This is why the language in the GHB was changed regarding Skaven gnawholes; the language didn’t directly conflict, but it gave two mutually exclusive rules that had to be applied at the same time (I.e. gnawholes had to be placed wholly within 8” of the battlefield edge, but at least 6” away from the edge itself; leaving a 2” space for a 5” model.

But all the rules regarding placement of woods in our tome conflict with the rules in the GHB, (specifically the 3” from objectives portion). In this case, we use the rules in the battletome:  Sylvaneth terrain placed in-game maintains a 1” placement from models, objectives, or terrain. 

Edited by Mirage8112

6 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Interesting list. I wouldn't think using 2 Treelords would be very good. It's 400 points and it basically could be another Durthu. In games in which your Durthu or Allarielle get killed do you feel like you have enough punch?  I love going for more stomps but the Treelords aren't going to do much killing. 

1 Treelord is summoned, so it's not like you can just exchange those 2 for a Durthu (getting 1 for free). 

2 hours ago, Sergi said:
Hello everyone. I would like some suggestion for a list for Meeting Engagements.

Thank you!

You could try the one I played last time, it worked fine form me:

Dreadwood Glade

Spearhead:

-Branchwraith (verdurous)

-5 spites

-3 kurnoth sword

Main body:

-Tla (regrowth)

-Arch-rev

-10 spites

Rear:

-5 tree-rev

Endless:

-Spitehive

With this list you have a lot of mobility with spitehive and dreadwood command ability, you don’t have to rely on wyldwoods (very difficult placement in this mode) and you have good sustain with regrowth and verdurous. Also, you can hit really hard with those 10 spites/kurnoth swords buffed with arch revenant.

13 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

You could try the one I played last time, it worked fine form me:

Dreadwood Glade

Spearhead:

-Branchwraith (verdurous)

-5 spites

-3 kurnoth sword

Main body:

-Tla (regrowth)

-Arch-rev

-10 spites

Rear:

-5 tree-rev

Endless:

-Spitehive

With this list you have a lot of mobility with spitehive and dreadwood command ability, you don’t have to rely on wyldwoods (very difficult placement in this mode) and you have good sustain with regrowth and verdurous. Also, you can hit really hard with those 10 spites/kurnoth swords buffed with arch revenant.

Thank You!.

• Like 1

Spoiler

i try this list on local tournamet

winterleaf

sp Branch wrath(regrow)+scythe hunter

mb dutru (all winteleaf wargear), arh reverant and tree-reverant

rg scythe hunter

not bad, second place: 2 draw (almost win)(goblins and zombeedragon), 1 minor win (nauthhaunt), 1 major (khorne).

arh reverant imho not good in winterleaf, i think i'ill replace her on second brachwrath + res hunter spell or second tree-reverant

14 minutes ago, azmarus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

i try this list on local tournamet

winterleaf

sp Branch wrath(regrow)+scythe hunter

mb dutru (all winteleaf wargear), arh reverant and tree-reverant

rg scythe hunter

not bad, second place: 2 draw (almost win)(goblins and zombeedragon), 1 minor win (nauthhaunt), 1 major (khorne).

arh reverant imho not good in winterleaf, i think i'ill replace her on second brachwrath + res hunter spell or second tree-reverant

So I debated taking the Arch Revenant in winterleaf during my most recent tournament. The Branchwraith is just so tempting (and cheaper!). However I have found Arch to be the perfect carrier for the Frozen Kernel. His tiny base and movement of 12" allows him to get that critical second-fight anywhere it needs to be. Other carriers can struggle to get into position without teleports (which are unreliable). I also surprised several opponents when he ran forward to grab an unprotected objective. 

Another trick: After you have used the Kernel, you can send the Arch Revenant on a suicide charge into a scary unit and let "My Heart is Ice" generate a bunch of mortal wounds. Its particularly useful vs really scary monsters. Worst case scenario Arch lives and holds the monster up. Best case scenario the monster rolls hot and bounces like 5 mortal wounds back onto himself 🤣

2 hours ago, Alessio said:

The battalion free spirits allows the units to basically add 6" to their movement( instead of run) letting them charge later also. Did I get it right? Thanks

No, when you declare a run you add 6"to their move instead of rolling the dice.  You can't charge after because they have been declared to have run.

• Like 1