AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 minutes ago, TreelordRecent said:

I got a heartwood list where I have 3 bow hunters that beefed up to the max do on average 17 wounds versus a 4+ save unit.

Can you break that down? Horn of the Consort will let you reroll hits, taking them from a 50% to a 75% hit rate (90% for the leader) but at -1 rend and d3 damage, how are you making 6 attacks inflict an average of 17 wounds?

55 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

Can you break that down? Horn of the Consort will let you reroll hits, taking them from a 50% to a 75% hit rate (90% for the leader) but at -1 rend and d3 damage, how are you making 6 attacks inflict an average of 17 wounds?

By shooting they can't in one turn.  The max wounds 6 shots doing D3 wounds could do is 18.  To get 17 every shot has to hit, wound, not be saved and roll  5 or 6 on 5 wounding dice and a 3+ on the 6th.  You can't get that to average.

1 hour ago, Grudgebearer said:

@TreelordRecent

Ok thanks, and what about the battleline options we have?

You got dryads that you could consider the defensive battleline 

spite revenants that are the offensive battle line. 

Tree revenants that are the mobile battle line as they can teleport.

I personally favour dryads as they are very good at holding objectives. 

@Emissary @Trevelyan 

My list looks like this:

Heartwood:

Alarielle throne of vines

branchwraith throne of vines and spiritsong stave

branchwych: horn of the consort, Verduous harmony

TLA general, regrowth

3x 3 bow hunters

3x 5 spite revenants

outcast battalion 

2000 points on the dot.

in order to get to an average of 14-17 wounds I keep my kurnoths within range of the horn of the consort and I use alarielle’s command ability to reroll 1s to wound. TLA can also shoot but has less range so he may not hit the mark quite as often.

also with this list you can bring on about 30 dryads turn one so that allows you to get increase the body count quite quickly. 

Edited by TreelordRecent
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, TreelordRecent said:

in order to get to an average of 14-17 wounds I keep my kurnoths within range of the horn of the consort and I use alarielle’s command ability to reroll 1s to wound. TLA can also shoot but has less range so he may not hit the mark quite as often.

also with this list you can bring on about 30 dryads turn one so that allows you to get increase the body count quite quickly. 

Alarielle's CA doesn't work outside the combat phase, so it won't buff the bows. 3x3 Hunters with the Heartwood buff will average ~17.8 damage at rend -1, which against your average 4+ save is just under 12 damage. It's a nice long-range strike, I'm just wondering if it's enough to warrant taking Heartwood. What we really need is a CA or ability that would allow them another round of shooting attacks (like Anvils for SCE) - then we could really be confident building around them and succeeding. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 8:32 PM, Frowny said:

Questions

The 2nd block of dryads and the sword hunters could be exchanged I think. I'd like a 3rd hammer to balance out the spites and scythes. I did like the 2nd tarpit though and the multiple big units helped the Archrevenant shine. Any thoughts on other things to use instead?  I would also like a 2nd unit of tree revenants I think. Bit don't know how to fit them.

Thank you for your report! About your question, why don’t you try drycha/durthu+endless instead of 2nd dryads+sword hunters. Or you can even try to fit a battalion with a treelord and branchwych (household) and get an additional artefact and cp. 

I would try to have at least 2 stomps in each list, it is one of the best things we got.

Hey guys i need some advice what to build with the 10 revenants and 3 hunters from the looncurse box. 

I have already 5 spite and 5 tree revenants as well as 9 hunters ( 3 bows, 3 swords and 3 scythes) built and painted. 

I'm also thinking about building the arch revenant without the beetle on his back. Maybe I'll put the beetle on a separate branch onto archis base? Does someone already did such or a similar conversion?

9 minutes ago, Atreyu said:

Hey guys i need some advice what to build with the 10 revenants and 3 hunters from the looncurse box. 

I have already 5 spite and 5 tree revenants as well as 9 hunters ( 3 bows, 3 swords and 3 scythes) built and painted. 

I'm also thinking about building the arch revenant without the beetle on his back. Maybe I'll put the beetle on a separate branch onto archis base? Does someone already did such or a similar conversion?

I think spites are absolutely the way to go now, they got buffed so much I think they will be the standard battleline for most lists. 

1 hour ago, Atreyu said:

Build 10 spite-revs and take those kurnoth and make them scythes, so you have the option of fielding them in a group of 6. For the Arch-Rev, I lean towards keeping the bug friend separate, so you can remove it from the model should you need to sacrifice it, though it's worth noting that there's a notch on the model to fit the bug into, so if you want to model it on a separate base or something you'd need to cover up that spot on the main model.

Okay,

including the models from the Looncurse box, I currently have:

• 2 Branchwyches
  • 2 Branchwraiths
  • 3 Treelords / Tree Ancient / Durthu (magnetised weapon arm)
  • 1 Durthu
  • 1 Alarielle
  • 1 Arch Revenant
  • 1 Drycha
  • 52 Dryads
  • 10 Tree Revenants
  • 15 Spite Revenants
  • 3 Hunters with Bows
  • 3 Hunters with Swords
  • 6 Hunters with Scythes
  • 3 "old" Wyldwoods

And with the release I have ordered the following:

• 3 "new" Wyldwoods
  • Sylvaneth Endless Spells

Are there any heroes or units you would recommend me to get more from?

52 minutes ago, Atreyu said:

Okay,

• 2 Branchwyches
  • 2 Branchwraiths
  • 1 Durthu
  • 1 Alarielle
  • 1 Arch Revenant
  • 1 Drycha
  • 52 Dryads
  • 10 Tree Revenants
  • 15 Spite Revenants
  • 3 Hunters with Bows
  • 3 Hunters with Swords
  • 6 Hunters with Scythes
  • 3 "old" Wyldwoods

• 3 "new" Wyldwoods

Seems like you have pretty much everything. Maybe 5 more spite-revs to give you the option of a full unit?

4 hours ago, Atreyu said:

As it stands, you're about as well stocked as you could be. I certainly don't think there's anything you need more of; however, if you want to buy more just to totally round it out, I'd recommend more Spites, another magnetized treelord/TLA, and more Kurnoths with swords and/or bows. Spites are, from everything I've seen, super efficient and fairly effective with this new tome. You can't go wrong getting as many boxes of them as you can afford. But unless you want to give GW more money, you're set.

4 hours ago, Atreyu said:

Okay,

• 2 Branchwyches
  • 2 Branchwraiths
  • 1 Durthu
  • 1 Alarielle
  • 1 Arch Revenant
  • 1 Drycha
  • 52 Dryads
  • 10 Tree Revenants
  • 15 Spite Revenants
  • 3 Hunters with Bows
  • 3 Hunters with Swords
  • 6 Hunters with Scythes
  • 3 "old" Wyldwoods

• 3 "new" Wyldwoods

Are all the spites one unit?  I'd personally have 2 units of 5 and a 3rd unit that can go from 15-20.

Only other thing would be a 2nd unit of 3 sword hunters.

Maybe Ylthari's Guardians if you wanted to be completionist, but they aren't that good right now.

3 hours ago, Emissary said:

Are all the spites one unit?  I'd personally have 2 units of 5 and a 3rd unit that can go from 15-20.

Only other thing would be a 2nd unit of 3 sword hunters.

Maybe Ylthari's Guardians if you wanted to be completionist, but they aren't that good right now.

Oh i totally forgot Ylthari's Guardians in my list, I built them last week.:D

Right now i have 2 units of 5 spites built and another 5 are still in the sprue

I tried meeting engagement and here are my conclusions:

-There’s not much space to summon wylwoods, but you MUST place them to the deployment zones in order to tp asap. 

-Slow units won’t do anything in the whole game unless you tp them.

-Winterleaf didn’t help the issues mentioned before, so next time I will try dreadwood to have more tp, or gnarlroot to guarantee wyldwood summoning.

-It’s not a 2k matched play, so it has to be played very different (pretty obbious) 

-Don’t clump most of your units in one contingent or depending on the battleplan you won’t have enough space to deploy them (I think you lose the ones you can’t deploy). 

Anyway, I managed to win because my friend had the same issues, it was close though.  Next game we will change a lot of things for sure.

List:

S: 10 dryads, bwrth

M: 10 spites, arch-rev, treelord, 3 kurnoth sword, bwrth. [Bad idea, couldn’t fit all of this in the deployment zone]

R: 5 tree-rev

Endless: Gladewyrm

Hi, 

I really want to start Sylvaneth army. Can you please advice what list on 2k will be good with new book? I already have Alariel so it will be great to use it. 

Also do you have any tips for me? 

Thx for advice. 

It is kinda hard to get you a set list, as we don'Ät have much experience by now, with a book that is just on preorder. 

You can't go wrong with 1-3 Start Collecting, 2-3 boxes of Kurnoth Hunters, and if you want another battleline then dryads, get spite revenents. 

Alarielle sadly was nerfed quite a bit, but still should be fine to bring in at beer and pretzels-games. She took a hit and lost her auto-include-status, but she is still a force to deal with for effectively 460 points. 

If you want to play her, I'd recommend a Gnarlroot Wargrove to bolster her defenses with a 6+ ward safe and at the same time make damage more reliable with that reroll 1's to hit. 

I just clicked together a list. It needs to be staffed yout with artifacts and so on, but might be a start. 
To all of you: Any ideas, where to put which spells and artifacts, or other recommendations?

Spoiler

Gnarlroot Wargrove

LEADERS
Alarielle the Everqueen (660)
- Deepwood Spell : Throne of Vines
Branchwraith (80)
Treelord Ancient (300)

- General
Branchwraith (80)
UNITS
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)

- Greatswords
BATTALIONS
Forest Folk (140)

Endless Spells: Gladewyrm, Vengeful Skullroot

Edited by Ruhraffe

I'm a bit disappointed of this new battletome:

- battalions abilities are useless, but you must take them if you want the second artifact

- we can teleport only 1 unit per turn

- the first wood can't be deployed in opponent deployment 

However, there are also some good:

- all mages know the spell for summoning woods

- awakened wood abilities with charge: according to the rule, every time you or your opponent charge you roll the dice for damage opponent unit