AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

21 minutes ago, Emissary said:

If you get the start collecting box, take the branchwych and leave off the bug.  then convert it by leaving off the scythe and giving it some extra dryad arms (there are more arms in the kit then you need to make the dryads) to make a branchwraith.

This is a great tip to make a Branchwraith, thanks. I have my Start Collecting box still to make up so I'll make sure to do something like this to have a Branchwraith available.

25 minutes ago, Dammitt_Jim said:

This is a great tip to make a Branchwraith, thanks. I have my Start Collecting box still to make up so I'll make sure to do something like this to have a Branchwraith available.

Thanks!  Here's a picture of my Branchwraiths so you can see one like that.  Also, you can use the dryad heads on the branchwych body easily to make them look a little different or to not use the horns.  My 2nd branchwych is that way:

HlBr2y0.jpg

Edited by Emissary
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, Dammitt_Jim said:

@Emissary Thanks a lot for showing those. They look great and yeah the Dryad arms on the Branchwych body work nicely. Do they attach OK or did you have to use some greenstuff to fix it up a little?

I don't remember that well as I did it 2 years ago, but I don't remember it being that hard.  I think I just cut it at the elbow and then the plastic glue did the rest.

2 minutes ago, Naem said:

Another noob question: How do you guys transport the army? I heard the usual cases don't work to well with all the branches.  

Dryads, Spites, Tree-Revenants and Branchwychs/wraiths in an army transport case and the rest in a big tub.   Haven't had any issues.

3 hours ago, Emissary said:

I was on the 1chan tactics site a few days ago.  They have a few things wrong so keep that in mind.

That’s putting it tactfully. 

I’d be more inclined to suggest that the entire 1d4chan update reads as if the author only skimmed the leak but walked away with the impression that the new Sylvaneth book waved a nerf bat above it’s head and cackled maniacally while running over the author’s childhood pet.

Accuracy comes a distant second to highlighting “nerfs” (most of which are nothing of the sort). 

28 minutes ago, Naem said:

Another noob question: How do you guys transport the army? I heard the usual cases don't work to well with all the branches.  

Battlefoam magna rack. 

I use one 6mm x 3mm N35 magnet on the smaller bases, one N42 on the Kurnoths and two N42s on the treelords. 

One little thing in the Sylvaneth Preview on the Warhammer-Community site today was that they mentioned Verdant Blessing being part of the Deepwood Lore.  I know that the preview isn't the final say on the matter, but could be taken as how GW views it and may rule in a designer's commentary for the Vesperal Gem.  Letting the Gem auto-generate unstoppable Awakened Wyldwoods would be great.

From the designers commentary:

Q: In a Pitched Battle, can I use a faction terrain feature as a
primary or secondary terrain feature choice?
A: Yes you can, but if you do so, you must set up that
terrain feature under the restrictions that apply as if it
were ‘Unique’. In addition, do not use the warscroll for
a faction terrain feature that is taken as a unique terrain
feature. Instead, you must roll to generate a scenery rule
for it.

So no free wyldwoods for us. You can use the model but it is not a wyldwood in the sense of a faction terrain feature. Would be too strong, imho, that is ok.

3 hours ago, Naem said:

I honestly carry my whole army in two lunchbox-sized soft cooler containers - the kind you can promotionally buy 6-packs of beer in during the summer (one of them is, in fact, Kirin). They are padded, just the right size for my treemen and kurnoth, and I can insulate them with bubblewrap to keep things safe. I created some internal scaffolding for the other box, and it holds all 40 of my dryads, 20 spite-revs, and 10 tree-revs, and Alarielle when I field her. I honestly just stuff her big beetle into my backpack at the moment, wrapped in bubblewrap, because nothing hurts The Tank.

This is probably the cheapest ever way to carry models, but it's compact and convenient, and when you have to travel on the subway for 45 minutes in infernal heat to get to your FLGS, that matters a lot.

54 minutes ago, Trevelyan said:

GHB errata allows you to take a Wyldwood as a large scenery option. 

Still not clear whether this is intended to be a catch-all for the Sylvaneth and the Awakened Wyldwood, though. Currently there is nothing that is just called a Wyldwood. 

The Wyldwoods are the new 'Citadel Wood' terrain piece it seems - so if you are just trying to put some woods on the board, that's what they count as - in the same way that lots of tables have Citadel Woods now that aren't Wyldwoods.

1 hour ago, Emissary said:

I will be curious if the new non-awakened wyldwoods function as they do now and if sylvaneth keep their immunity to them.

I think the assumption is that the non-Awakened Wyldwood is just the same as a current Citadel Wood. This seems entirely plausible, but also like needless faff to change the name of something so basic. 

8 hours ago, Emissary said:

1) The spell to create wyldwoods isn't part of the sylvaneth lore.  Every sylvaneth wizard just knows it now

This is not confirmed. WH community seemed to suggest today that it was part of the Deepwood spell lore just on a different place on the page.  

2 hours ago, Ruhraffe said:

From the designers commentary:

Q: In a Pitched Battle, can I use a faction terrain feature as a
primary or secondary terrain feature choice?
A: Yes you can, but if you do so, you must set up that
terrain feature under the restrictions that apply as if it
were ‘Unique’. In addition, do not use the warscroll for
a faction terrain feature that is taken as a unique terrain
feature. Instead, you must roll to generate a scenery rule
for it.

So no free wyldwoods for us. You can use the model but it is not a wyldwood in the sense of a faction terrain feature. Would be too strong, imho, that is ok.

So the new FAQ says we can take Awakened Wyldwoods as primary terrain pieces by substituting them for any primary terrain feature. Then it also says we don’t use the warscroll if we do that. We roll on the table and then use that for the rules for the piece.

My question is, is it still an Awakened Wyldwood or not?  

The allegiance abilities triggers off the name of the scenery piece, since we teleport near “Awakened Wyldwoods” which it neither a Keyword nor a Warscroll rule. If we don’t use the warscroll rules, but it’s still an “Awakened Wyldwood” we should be able to use all our abilities that trigger when we’re near them (dryads -1 to hit, teleport, Treelord’s awaken woods spell) but we wont get it’s random magic effects, or the change to do MW during the charge phase.

I wonder also what this “wyldwood” business is on the primary terrain feature list, since we don’t currently have a scenery pieces by that name. maybe it will be an “awakened Wyldwoods lite” in the same way the mausoleum is a gravesite light for LoN? 

Thoughts?

If you look at the errata from ghb 2019, you can see there is "wyldwood" offered as a primary terrain feature. So, in my eyes, you are setting up a wyldwood, not an awakened wyldwood, which is required for our skills.

I feel the designers intention is clear: you can set up a faction terrain feature; if you happen to like it in particular or it fits your narrative, thats fine. But it does not exhibit the function it would do in your army as a faction terrain feature.

As always, GW isn't too precise with their wording, but that's the way I understand them.

• Like 1

" Pitched Battle, faction terrain must be set up more 
than 3" from any other terrain features and more 
than 1" from any objectives, in addition to any other 
restrictions that apply to it. "

This on the other hand resolves some questions...

Edited by romhi

9 hours ago, Naem said:

I have magnetised the bases of my units and got a transport case by armybox. They have metal shelves so the whole thing works quite nicely. For the woods you’ll need another box...

8 hours ago, TreelordRecent said:

I have magnetised the bases of my units and got a transport case by armybox. They have metal shelves so the whole thing works quite nicely. For the woods you’ll need another box...

I'd add to this by saying get some ferrous sheets which have a sticky back. Stick those to the bottom of your minis. Throw the magnets into the box. Minis stick to the magnets. Minis don't stick to each other when outside the box.

Cheaper option than armybox is a large metal toolbox. But you have to use the sides and underside of the lid.

18 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

Throw the magnets into the box. Minis stick to the magnets. Minis don't stick to each other when outside the box.

I’ve never once had minis stick to each other. I’ve got magnets with a 0.49kg pull on every Dryad but that’s still not enough to attract an adjacent mini. 

Our new woods will be 30£ / 40€ / 50$  for a box.
Box will include 3 "bases" making one Awakened Wylwood.
That's confirmed info.

My hype is all gone. This price is ridiculous. I know, this hobby is not cheap, .but this pricing is really reaaaally hard to justify.
You will probably need 2-3 boxes for a 1k games and twice as much for 2k.

• Like 1

Random thought:

Let’s assume that “wyldwood” is just the new name for a generic wood (currently a “citadel wood”). That’s seems likely, even if it’s not yet confirmed. 

Given that the Sylvaneth like to play with Awakened Wyldwoods, what do you suppose are the long term chances of them receiving an errata to Verdant Blessing that would allow them to awaken an existing wyldwood as an additional option alongside placing an entirely new Awakened version?

It would address the table space issue without increasing the absolute number of Awakened woods you can put down per turn. Probably a pipe dream, but it seems like a credible solution to the problem of a faction which depends on the ability to summon terrain features on a crowded table.