AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So this is my first time posting anything in the Sylvaneth side of things but I picked them up as an accompanying army to my wood elves until they get an update and after Looncurse and a start collecting plus 2 more boxes I find myself saying... well why not just go to 2k. So heres my prospective list that's trying to avoid buying too much more (just need Durthu and 3 more kurnoth)

Winter leaf

TLA

Arch-revenant w/frozen Kernel

Branchwraith

Spirit of Durthu (General, My Heart is Ice, Ghyrstrike)

30 dryads

5 tree rev

5 tree rev

3 kurnoth hunters with Greatsword

3 Hunters w/GS

3 Hunters w/GS

Free spirits batallion

It honestly feels like it doesnt have much board presence but the hope is the block of dryads (plus summons) and the teleporting revs should be enough to play to objectives while a potentially double attacking Durthu hitting/wounding on 2's could be quite devastating should he reach a target at full health (probably via healing spells). That's a potential what 60 wounds? Obviously that's not ever going to happen but still.

Thoughts? I'm not too interested in buying much more but I could be convinced to run revs as spites or other reconfigurations. 

For those wondering the above list minus durthu and 3 hunters is every Sylvaneth I own. I do have a full 2k wanderers army and considered running 20 sisters of the watch possibly with a nomad prince but it felt like a CP sink I cant really afford. Does save some money though.

Ok, i am sure this has been discussed before, so i apologize for being disruptive if it was.

Few questions:

- With the new book, someone got to see where we deploy our wyldwoods ? Is it our territory or the whole table?

- How exactly does it work for the new deployment ? Do we deploy trees after every scenery has been deployed ? Or can we deploy wyldwoods as one of our "big scenery" options? I found this very confusing today playing a game, neither my trees or the moon for goblins could be deployed because of how we laid out the table.

- If not, how are we suppossed to even have a wyldwood on the table :P

Edited by Kairos Tejedestinos

On 6/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, TreelordRecent said:

I would just add that there may be a case to have a unit of 6 swords if you play dreadwood. As dreadwood allows you to place a unit 9 away from an enemy you may be able to get them all in, in turn one... but in most other scenarios 6 scythes may be easier to use.  

Following some inspiration from the forum I have built a unit of 9 scythes to make the most out of dreadwood and the archrevenant... I am still to see how they perform. 

If you are playing 6, would still take scythes 10 out of 10 times. They allow you to have a much smaller front and keep a high attack density, and they are also much better at holding ground when your opponent charges you and you decide to get the reroll saves. Also there are tons of abilities that can ignore rend -1, or they can reroll failed armor save rolls, and the -2 there is much better. 

And from there, if you choose to take units of 3 kurnouth hunter with swords, it depends on the list, but you have to take into account that the only way to bypass the only 1 teleport for turn is with treelords, so you have to plan why you have them in the list if you do so. Anyways a fully buffed unit of winterleaf kurnouth hunters with swords can deal some really nasty damage.

3 hours ago, Kairos Tejedestinos said:

Ok, i am sure this has been discussed before, so i apologize for being disruptive if it was.

Few questions:

- With the new book, someone got to see where we deploy our wyldwoods ? Is it our territory or the whole table?

- How exactly does it work for the new deployment ? Do we deploy trees after every scenery has been deployed ? Or can we deploy wyldwoods as one of our "big scenery" options? I found this very confusing today playing a game, neither my trees or the moon for goblins could be deployed because of how we laid out the table.

- If not, how are we suppossed to even have a wyldwood on the table :P

1) The allegiance wyldwood can be placed after territories have been chosen but before deployment.  They can go anywhere on the battlefield more than 1" from other terrain, 1" from enemy territory and 6" from objectives.  Note, if this overrides the new terrain rules we'll have to see.  By the letter of the rules at the moment, no, but I think this was written with the new rules in mind so it may.  Have to see with the FAQ after the book is released.

2) You can also get wyldwoods from the treelord ancients (1 per game no matter how many ancients you have), the Verdant Blessing spell (all sylvaneth casters know it in addition to their other Deepwood spell and unit spells) and the acorn.  They're all 1" from terrain, objectives and models.  Nothing about territories affects their placement.  Also, the new terrain placement rules only affects allegiance terrain (IE the one you start with that comes from your allegiance ability).  The ones created here in #2 don't follow those placement rules.

3) Technically, yes you can place wyldwoods with the new terrain rules.  Something to use against your opponent if they want to be dickish about how they place terrain.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Does the old wyldwood have a warscroll?

I don't think there is a "new wyldwood" yet until it's officially released, but reports were that GW said the old wyldwoods would still be valid - but idk how that's going to work with the updated rules. 

Okay, anyone want to talk about Meeting Engagements? There isn't much out there for them yet, but it really feels like a fun and dynamic format, plus like, I can fit 1000pts of models in my backpack. So, here's an idea for a list.

Spearhead
Arch-Revenant (100)
- General
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows

Main Body
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Spite-Revenants (120)

Rearguard
Treelord (200)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 72

The Spearhead is probably the most out there, but hear me out. The first turn, you either need to be fast to cap objective or be able to deal wounds to your opponent to score. Since most of the movement in the army is through wyldwoods, I figure that the Hunters can at least start by inflicting wounds a lot of armies won't be able to catch up with. I wanted the main body to focus on bodies. I think I would prefer a second unit of Spites here, but that makes the math weird unless I want to drop the Arch-Revenant, which I'm hesitant to do. A Treelord fills in the Rearguard, ideally being set up for combat right away. I think this is the best use of 200pts? 20 Dryads would fit, or maybe it's worth thinking about trying to make it an Ancient. Any suggestions on a Glade?

• Like 1

Howdy. Just starting Sylvaneth as my second army, looking for some tips. 

I’m going with Winterleaf and a winter/ice themed army with Alarielle og 6 schyte hunters. Not decided on the rest but a free folk? battallion (dryads+branchwraith)  seems interesting. Would like an arch-revenant but as long its only on eBay, overpriced, I guess I’ll have to wait for that one. I play in a semi-competative area so I dont need "the" meta list, I Would prefer an all-comers type list with an army that is fun to play and play against.

so if anyone have some tips and comments, it Would be greatly appreciated 🤗 

15 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

I don't think there is a "new wyldwood" yet until it's officially released, but reports were that GW said the old wyldwoods would still be valid - but idk how that's going to work with the updated rules. 

Just to be clear, there is no “old” or “new” Wyldwoods. Because the warscroll hasn’t been replaced: just updated.  What has changed is the “Citadel woods” model (well, once it’s officially released), since the new woods are a sculpt update of the old woods. 

The warscroll will update when the new Battletome drops, but for right now, they are pretty much exactly the same. I imagine the designers commentary on the new book will probably address  how the old models interact with the new rules. My guess is that 1 old wood will count as 3 new ounces since the internal footprint is almost identical.

For everyone saying that you wont be able to use the old woods, its important to remember that GW is usually pretty forgiving about allowing you to use old sculpt for current models. In 40k when models are updated, they even let you use the base size your model was originally released with. This isn’t a case of an old warscroll not being included anymore,. Because the warscroll hasn’t actually be removed.  

Edited by Mirage8112

On 6/25/2019 at 10:54 PM, Kairos Tejedestinos said:

If you are playing 6, would still take scythes 10 out of 10 times. They allow you to have a much smaller front and keep a high attack density, and they are also much better at holding ground when your opponent charges you and you decide to get the reroll saves. Also there are tons of abilities that can ignore rend -1, or they can reroll failed armor save rolls, and the -2 there is much better. 

And from there, if you choose to take units of 3 kurnouth hunter with swords, it depends on the list, but you have to take into account that the only way to bypass the only 1 teleport for turn is with treelords, so you have to plan why you have them in the list if you do so. Anyways a fully buffed unit of winterleaf kurnouth hunters with swords can deal some really nasty damage.

Thanks for the advice! Certainly dreadwood or winterleaf and an arch revenant will combine quite nicely. 

22 hours ago, jaebird said:

Okay, anyone want to talk about Meeting Engagements? There isn't much out there for them yet, but it really feels like a fun and dynamic format, plus like, I can fit 1000pts of models in my backpack. So, here's an idea for a list.

Spearhead
Arch-Revenant (100)
- General
- Greatbows
- Greatbows

Main Body
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Spite-Revenants (120)

Rearguard
Treelord (200)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 72

The Spearhead is probably the most out there, but hear me out. The first turn, you either need to be fast to cap objective or be able to deal wounds to your opponent to score. Since most of the movement in the army is through wyldwoods, I figure that the Hunters can at least start by inflicting wounds a lot of armies won't be able to catch up with. I wanted the main body to focus on bodies. I think I would prefer a second unit of Spites here, but that makes the math weird unless I want to drop the Arch-Revenant, which I'm hesitant to do. A Treelord fills in the Rearguard, ideally being set up for combat right away. I think this is the best use of 200pts? 20 Dryads would fit, or maybe it's worth thinking about trying to make it an Ancient. Any suggestions on a Glade?

Was thinking about meeting engagements too.

For the spearhead, totally agree with Kurnoth's - they are easily the best thing we can fit into it.

Instead of Archie, I wanted a Wraith turn one, as I wanted to get wood and Dryads out asap. 

In your list, you can't take a glade as you have the Acorn. You'd have to drop it or take a battalion, which would be expensive.

Unless taking a battalion, due to only being allowed 1 leader at the start, sadly we can't get a second wood turn one AND summon Dryads turn one AND take a glade. One of them has to go.

For the rearguard I think you only want stuff that can teleport. Treelord is nice. I went with Tree Revs, and felt 5 would be too few.

For the main body, that's where I want a big guy plus battleline. Ancient was my choice, for the extra wood plus spell casting. Could replace with Treelord and Dryads. Or squeeze in Durthu and Dryads if I shrink the rearguard...... but I think I'd rather the utility of the Ancient.

The Ancient's wood drop could allow me to drop the Acorn and take a glade - buff the Ancient with Harvestboon? ensure Dryad summoning with Gnarlroot? ensure Ancient gets a third wood using verdant blessing with Gnarlroot?

Not quite sure if I'd get the usage out of Anicent Spells, so didn't include any.

Spearhead
Branchwraith (80) - Acorn Of The Ages(?)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)

Main Body
Treelord Ancient (300)
5 x Spite-Revenants (60)

Rearguard
10 x Tree-Revenants (160)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 62

Alternatively, hide the Wraith turn one then bring on Alarielle. Maybe  move 5 of those Revs into the spearhead. Not really a serious list. 😂 

Spearhead
Branchwraith (80) - Acorn Of The Ages

Main Body
Alarielle the Everqueen (660)
10 x Dryads (100)

Rearguard
10 x Tree-Revenants (160)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 41

• Like 1

I don't think the TLA is too useful in the main body. The board might be to crowded turn 2 to even get his wyldwood ability off. I guess I will opt for the following list:

Spoiler

Winterleaf

SPEARHEAD

Branchwraith (80)

10 x Dryads (100)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)- Greatswords

MAIN BODY

Arch-Revenant (100) General, with Winterleaf artefact.

20 x Dryads (200)

REARGUARD

Drycha Hamadreth (320)

With this I can deploy a strong spearhead and try to get a second wood out early. The hunters can already advance to charge turn 2. In the second turn, the ArchRev can hastily go after the Hunters to give them the buff while the bigger 20 dryad block can either defend a nearby objective or get ready to get in the action in the third round. Drycha as the rearguard has quite a high movement speed and has strong shooting, so she might be a good rearguard. What do you think about this? 
I am not too happy with the Archrev, because with smaller units and not as many hunters his effectiveness is minimized, but I didn't find anything worth more then him. And a buff on Sword Hunters or 20 Dryads should be a good effect as well, especially in Winterleaf. 
A problem might be, the spearhead is deployed later on, so I am pondering if I should move the hunters to the main body. 

• LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Ruhraffe said:

I don't think the TLA is too useful in the main body. The board might be to crowded turn 2 to even get his wyldwood ability off. I guess I will opt for the following list:

Hide contents

Winterleaf

SPEARHEAD

Branchwraith (80)

10 x Dryads (100)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)- Greatswords

MAIN BODY

Arch-Revenant (100) General, with Winterleaf artefact.

20 x Dryads (200)

REARGUARD

Drycha Hamadreth (320)

With this I can deploy a strong spearhead and try to get a second wood out early. The hunters can already advance to charge turn 2. In the second turn, the ArchRev can hastily go after the Hunters to give them the buff while the bigger 20 dryad block can either defend a nearby objective or get ready to get in the action in the third round. Drycha as the rearguard has quite a high movement speed and has strong shooting, so she might be a good rearguard. What do you think about this? 
 I am not too happy with the Archrev, because with smaller units and not as many hunters his effectiveness is minimized, but I didn't find anything worth more then him. And a buff on Sword Hunters or 20 Dryads should be a good effect as well, especially in Winterleaf. 
 A problem might be, the spearhead is deployed later on, so I am pondering if I should move the hunters to the main body. 

Yeah, woods dropping turn two might be a little late given the smaller board.

If you're not keen on Archie (agreed he feels a little wasted with only one unit of Kurnoths), then drop him, Move Drycha into the main body (surely early is better than later), add some Tree Revs into the rearguard ??

I didn't realise the deployment order could be swapped around by the battleplan, which complicates things a little.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:53 PM, Mirage8112 said:

Just to be clear, there is no “old” or “new” Wyldwoods. Because the warscroll hasn’t been replaced: just updated.  What has changed is the “Citadel woods” model (well, once it’s officially released), since the new woods are a sculpt update of the old woods. 

The warscroll will update when the new Battletome drops, but for right now, they are pretty much exactly the same. I imagine the designers commentary on the new book will probably address  how the old models interact with the new rules. My guess is that 1 old wood will count as 3 new ounces since the internal footprint is almost identical.

For everyone saying that you wont be able to use the old woods, its important to remember that GW is usually pretty forgiving about allowing you to use old sculpt for current models. In 40k when models are updated, they even let you use the base size your model was originally released with. This isn’t a case of an old warscroll not being included anymore,. Because the warscroll hasn’t actually be removed.  

But the new kit is called awakend wyldwood right? And the new abilities summon an awakened wyld wood.. leaving your old wyldwoods... unsummonable?

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

But the new kit is called awakend wyldwood right? And the new abilities summon an awakened wyld wood.. leaving your old wyldwoods... unsummonable?

I believe the new kit is called “citadel woods”, where an “awakened wyldwood” is 3-6 of them. The warscroll is renamed, but still refers to “citadel woods”, the same way the old warscroll did.   

49 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

I believe the new kit is called “citadel woods”, where an “awakened wyldwood” is 3-6 of them. The warscroll is renamed, but still refers to “citadel woods”, the same way the old warscroll did.   

This. The old warscroll was for the Sylvaneth Wyldwood, which comprises 1-3 citadel woods. The new wood models are a replacement for the citadel woods, not just the Wyldwood, and the updated warscroll is for the newly renamed Awakened Wyldwood, which comprises 3-6 of the new citadel wood models. 

1 hour ago, Trevelyan said:

This. The old warscroll was for the Sylvaneth Wyldwood, which comprises 1-3 citadel woods. The new wood models are a replacement for the citadel woods, not just the Wyldwood, and the updated warscroll is for the newly renamed Awakened Wyldwood, which comprises 3-6 of the new citadel wood models. 

Ah yes, the awakened wyldwood indeed says 3-6 citadel woods and then describes the new configuration.  

Out of the six ME battleplans, S/M/R order is used three times. M/S/R, M/R/S and R/M/S once each. 

I think we might have to keep a wizard in each contingent, just to have a chance at putting new woods onto the table, even though that'll eat into our 4 leader maximum allotment. TLA and two branchwraiths cost a hefty amount of points, and three wraiths means you won't be able to put as much pressure onto the field with TLA, Durthu, Drycha or (heaven forbid) Alarielle. Considering how scoring is influenced by killing models, Ylthari might make the cut just for another damage dealing spell and caster; alternatively, the branchbomb could prove to be effective. 

So I really do like the idea of Ylthari, but spending 180pts on a Branchwych with a 3 wound unit just kills any enthusiasm I have for these pretty models. Plus I think it's going to be locked to Oakenbrow, which isn't ideal? I like the idea of a Branchwych over the idea of a TLA, because I feel like you're going to have a better time clearing models with Reaping than pushing a TLA into combat. Less Dryads/opportunity for trees, but probably this group only starts for you a single game in a tournament, so it could be pretty match up dependent if it's good.