Updating Hexwraiths & Other Nighthaunts

With Soul Wars on the way I decided to do Nighthaunts as my mate(s) will most likely go with Stormcast.

Some rummaging revealed all sorts of bits for conversion ideas, from old arcane ruins, WH40K 3rd edition gothic ruins, loads of chaos vehicle fences, and 30 odd old skeleton Horde/Army plastic horses in various states of (dis)repair (30 years old that bone plastic is), amongst other things.

The new nightgaunt cavalry models make the old hexwraiths look a bit poo, with the caparison on the horses not looking remotely spectral, and the chain and skull bits going off at confused angles ruining the flow of the model - I want a jet not a helicopter. They also don't look like they Fly. 

So I had a start collecting malignants box (25% off from online) from which I had no intention of building the mortis engine (I am going to rob it for wraiths and banshees) but the spectral trailing bits look handy.

So as a proof of concept, using white tac, I quickly threw this together. Early days but it is a start...but at least it looks like it is springing forth from the Underworlds ala Ethereal Rulers:

DSCF0584.JPG

Looks good so far. 

I agree about new compared to old models. I'm going to convert a unit from the odd # of Grimghasts from the starter and the new calvary whenever they drop. 

Should tie the overall look together. 

Looking forward to your take.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Still farting about with the Hexwraiths but I did start building the two Soulwars boxes I got, and the ETB stuff (mould lifted the bases).

I did the Keldrek model on a slightly tarted up base for no other reason than he was my first Nighthaunt model.

Inspired somewhat by Mengel and GuitaRasmus I wondered about doing a converted Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee.

Whilst building the Lord Executioner I had an idea of what to do with my second spare one. Very rough POC at this stage, I'll sculpt in a hood with trim and studs like the original cairn wraith and grimghast reapers hood(s).

To tie it in with them further I'll add some spare chains with bells from the multi-part kit, and flagellants and Death Guard and Blightkings also have bells on chains, and Marauder Horsemen have hooks on chains (to make it/him a little bit different). I also have some tattered chainmail scraps from Death Guard and Forsaken that should help tie it in more with the grimghast aescetic.

Should be about as tall as the Knight of Shrouds which feels more leader like.

DSCF0587.JPG

A bit more work done...

WIP on a Cairn Wraith to fit it with the newer range. Based on a Soul Wars Lord Executioner and a Cairn Wraith scythe and skull/hood. Bits from Flagellants (chains, hourglass, key, massive chain and bell, hangmans noose), Putrid Blightkings (small bell/chain), Forsaken (chain mail) and Green Stuff.

Still waiting for glue to dry and green stuff to cure before the final cloth blending.

Concept is a serial killer/assassin who disguised himself as a diseased beggar and took delight in killing and selling the corpses to necromancers (the Shyishan hourglass and lepers bell chained to it)), hunted down by witch hunters but escaped prison several times (large religious bell "for whom the bell tolls" and manacle and chains), executed by hanging (the noose around his neck) - I'll probably tie in the Lord Executioner as having killed him in life.

Group shot too for context.

DSCF0590i.jpg

DSCF0593.JPG

However it is about the nighthaunts really.

The Grimghast Reapers are odd as there are 4 in the starter box, but matched play minimum is 10.  I have bought two multi-part boxes and have 4 Soul Wars boxes of nighthaunts and 4 more of those grimghasts, which is more than enough to be getting on with.

I have the first five built, the bases are taking longer than the models. 

DSCF0596.JPG

I bought the ETB boxes from my local GW and lifted those. Drop cast "2D" stuff is very easy to do and GW miniature blisters are almost ideal for thing this size as mould trays. Two part moulds are a ball-ache. Well, they are for me, vacuum pumps and wotnot...I want to build models not mess around at pneumatic engineering.

I have found the ETB/Shadespire stuff to be much crisper, sharper, and more detailed than the scenic base sets.

When cast I then cut and re-positioned some for variety, add plastic skulls, plastic tombstones, fence railings etc. Adding a bit of enamel black paint to one part of plastic/resin mix  prior to adding the second gives it a nice matt grey colour when it sets (otherwise it is just white and the detail is not clear).

It ties them in with the ETB models, and saves time from custom building every single base from scratch (80 chainghast will still be tedious). A good return on results for time invested, but they still take a while. Even my local GWs thought it was a sensible approach and posted the cairn wraith on their FB page - their view was I wasn't selling them and had bought the originals there so fair enough.

I have done the same with various Shadespire bases and the ETB sacrosanct stuff, and I'll do exactly the same with the harrowblades for my hexwraiths - which I am also pondering doing with harrowblades and grimghasts - thus ordering 6 boxes of harrowblades.

Mixing and matching bits from different bases with part drop casts helps with larger bases, like the 50mm spirit host ones, or Lady Olynder, or the KoS on Ethereal Steed.

It does cost a wee bit , depending on how much rubber volume you buy, and how much liquid plastic, but if you where planning out a 2.5k plus army and wanted to tie in everything, and had good sources to lift, it might be worth considering. If only for a handful of models then probably not worth it.

I have a Stormcast thread on here somewhere, that shows using the Steelheart Champions stuff to make bases for various Stormcast stuff.

Fairly obvious conversion with harrowblades as a POC, really not using anything from the hexwraiths apart from skulls/heads and stuff on chains. I'll use spirit/balefire from the mortis engine, but something like on his back rather than blurry little bits all over the place like on the original models.

I got 12 harrowblades so I'll use 10 for hexwraiths.

Also Reiknor's base lifted for knight of shrouds on ethereal steed. Quite pleases with that look.

DSCF0599ii.jpg

Archived