Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

Hello everyone!

I have first started this hobby mainly as a collector. Sylvaneth were a love at first sight. Now I have more people amongst my friends who are interested in playing too so I was thinking about creating an army list for games. Although my models are limited to one from all behemoths (this includes Drycha too although she is not included in my list now) around 40 Dryads, 5 Trevenants with another 5 in an unopened box (Srevenants is option) 9 Khunters with magnetized weapons, and some homemade woods.

I would like to ask for some help and tips in creating a list and tactics that could go toe-to-toe with my friends armies (Kharadron, Tzeentch, Nagash with random friends from all his cohorts). I am a complete beginner considering AoS so take it easy. There is a list included below of my first attempt:

Leaders

Spirit of Durthu (400) - General - Command Trait : Gnarled Warrior

Treelord Ancient (300) - Artefact : The Silverwood Circlet - Deepwood Spell : The Reaping

Alarielle the Everqueen (600) - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Branchwych (80) - Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing

Units

20 x Dryads (200)

10 x Dryads (100)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220) -Scythes

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220) -Greatswords

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220) -Greatbows

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Scenery

Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)

Total: 2500 /2500

Allies: 0 / 500 Leaders: 4/8 Battlelines: 4 (4+) Behemoths: 3/5 Artillery: 0/5 Wounds: 130

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally would take dryads in 20's at least. And I think I'd prefer to have Drycha in a list like this. Her horde killing abilities just give something you don't have in any other warscroll available. I'd get her instead of either TLA or Durthu.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

I personally would take dryads in 20's at least. And I think I'd prefer to have Drycha in a list like this. Her horde killing abilities just give something you don't have in any other warscroll available. I'd get her instead of either TLA or Durthu.

Seconded. Truthfully with Alarielle on the board, you won't really need the TLA

Hey boys,

I was thinking on something like this:
TLA 300 General
Alarielle 600
Durthu 400
Branchwych 80
Dryads x30 270
Dryads x30 270
Tree-Revenant 80
---------------------
2000/2000

Has anyone ever tried something like this? Suggestions?
I was also thing something around  Free Spirits battalions thoughts?

13 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't immagine a sylvaneth competitive list not 1 drop! I think gnarloot is still our better option, with some KH and durthu+TLH. :)

A silly question, where can I finde the rules that allow you to deploy an entire battalion at one drop? Can't find it in the GA 2017 

8 hours ago, Cerve said:

A silly question, where can I finde the rules that allow you to deploy an entire battalion at one drop? Can't find it in the GA 2017 

The rule is, strangely, listed in the individual Battletomes. For Sylvaneth, it's on p114 under the Warscroll Battalions heading: "When you are setting up, you can setup all of the units in a warscroll battalion instead of setting up a single unit". 

4 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

The rule is, strangely, listed in the individual Battletomes. For Sylvaneth, it's on p114 under the Warscroll Battalions heading: "When you are setting up, you can setup all of the units in a warscroll battalion instead of setting up a single unit". 

Got it! I knew the existance of that rule but now I know where it is, thanks!

Just some thoughts based on my last couple of games (mostly against the new Death, one game against Dispossessed), some of which has been discussed before. My local meta consists of Ironjawz, Chaos (Khorne demons, Khorne mortals,  Nurgle demons), Ogors, GA Order(Serahpon, Ironweld and Freeguild funline mashup), Death, Death and Death. Also, as a disclaimer, I am not a particularly strong player, owing to a lack of experience at 2000 points.

My last 2000 point list:  

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Spirit of Durthu (400)
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwych (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatswords
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

The list is based around what I have and what I can fit into 2000 points. Heavily centered around not losing behemoths (good luck with that), every lost model hurts. The SoD came in just as a test, and he quickly became a favorite. The Distraction Durthu effect quickly became a Distraction Drycha, she has amazing output for one or two turns unless your Regrowth always casts and rolls high or your opponent is splitting his army between fighting her and keeping you off objectives.

Bow hunters seem to be performing worse ever since GHB 17 came out, but I feel like they're a required unit. Possibly going to bump them up to a single unit of 6 bows for more consistent damage. Sword hunters are pretty great if you get them into position first, but if you have to charge the enemy, you're likely to lose at least one. This is my most debated slot, I love the models, but Sisters of the Thorn have had better results on the field for me.

Regrowth is on Drycha and TLA for redundancy and my usual opponents are usually high bravery making her unique spell very hard to use. It also makes it possible to throw her in the general direction of a big enemy unit while having her be at least somewhat self-sufficient.

- Always take Drycha. Whichever way you roll, you are likely to take off a maximum size unit, through a combination of Squirmlings, doubled melee attacks and battleshock, barring anything that has mortal wound saves. She will die to whatever rolls up to her after that, and that's mostly okay.

- At 2000 points, I should always try to include one of the small battalions, just so I don't have to choose between Acorn/Briarsheath/Oaken Armour. I'd lose Durthu for a regular Treelord in Household, but the benefits of a more consistent turn one should outweigh the drawbacks.

- Acorn enables a certain level of alpha-bunkering. If your opponent gets a blob onto an objective, the game just got a lot tougher. Every other way (besides Verdant Blessing, as I just realized) of fielding a Wyldwood needs at least 3" of space, being useful for setting up farther woods. I prefer to set up my free wood around the center line and deploy in such a way that I can Silent Communion/Verdant Blessing more woods onto or around objectives, Acorn next to as many of my units as possible and teleport away. 

- Allying in Sisters of the Thorn instead of greatsword Hunters is a valid option which I have used. Light cavalry wizards with a spell that has amazing synergy with Dryads is no joke. They can't teleport, but with their movement, they'll get where you need them.

I'll keep playing with this list for another month or two until I finish the models for my Ironbark list with a Fyreslayer drop pod. 

With hunters I am debating what to make my first set of 3.

Some places say sword, some scythe for rend, others bow to draw I need attacks and hit from range though admit it sucks missing 50% of the time.

are your tree revenants equipped with scythes or swords or doesn’t it really matter?

Drycha model, should I glue on squirmlings or flitter flies on? 

8 hours ago, Juggarnautt said:

are your tree revenants equipped with scythes or swords or doesn’t it really matter?

Drycha model, should I glue on squirmlings or flitter flies on? 

I built my Drycha when I wasn't sure which I'd want, so there's a bit of both on her. There hasn't been any problems with that, and I make sure to let my opponents know that I chose this option, and that she can't use the other one.

Tree-Revenants can only use swords, the glaive option is only for the unit leader. I built my unit leader with a sword to ease attacking and to have a smoother distribution. 2 attacks of 2 damage each (60% chance of 0 damage, 35% chance of 2 damage against AS 4+) or 4 attacks of 1 damage each (42% chance of 1 damage, 37% chance of 0 damage against AS 4+) is noticable, but I'd tell you to build whichever way you like the model more.

Alright party people!

So, I thought I would give a write up of my weekend at Adepticon with a few insights regarding playing Sylvaneth in one of the largest AoS tournaments in the United States.  The level of play was across the board very, very high this year. I played in both the AoS team tournament, as well as the Grand Championship. 

The team tournament was three games, with our first opponents being a Kunnin' Rukk and goblin horde. My partner brought WE. The first match was very very close, and we ended up pulling a minor victory thanks to our opponent making a mistake in the last turn, (Charging a unit of glade guard and accidentally tagging my Drycha pulling her into combat). The second match was also very close, with the opponent managing to hold onto an objective just wee bit longer than he should of ending in a major loss. The third match was basically a throw away, ending in a major loss vs the blades of Khorne.

It became very evident very quickly that the weak link the chain was the WE contingent of the In nearly all three matches, my partner was nearly tabled the first two turns due to ****** poor resiliency of the new wanderer faction. To be fair, there were a few key rolls that hurt fairly badly (like me failing a 3" charge for example), but even had that not been the case, it's pretty evident that despite the new battle traits and artifacts, the wanderer faction just does not have the staying power to compete with the newer armies on any serious level. We ended up finishing just under the 50% mark.

The grand tournament went much better. 

My very first game of the tournament was actually Russ Veale from Facehammer who flew out for the tournament. A super stand up guy, and an incredibly intimidating player to face off against. The scenario was starstrike. He was playing the new maggotkin and couldn't seem to fail a disgustingly resilient save all game. Despite this I managed to wrestle a major victory from him in 5th battle round 2 minutes before time ran out.

My second match was a stormcast list with starsoul mace spam, two 40 man blocks of skinks and a stardrake on three places of power ending in another major victory. 

The third was a gore pilgrims list on take and hold. I failed a few key rolls which made the entire match a bloody mess. Thankfully he was unable to pry my final dryad off the objective (and my amazing roll of 1 for the battle shock test) only gave me a minor loss.  

Fourth was another maggotkin player on scorched earth, ending in another major victory. 

The last match was vs The new death battletome, Nagash, 40 skeletons x2 and block of 30 graveguard on battle for the pass. The match came down to the last turn, but due to failing a couple of key rolls, and my opponent having list more suited to the conditions of the scenario, (and being sick with whatever grandfather burgle felt necessary to bless me with) I ended with my only major loss of the tournament. All in all, I ended in a 3 way tie for 46th putting me easily in the top 1/3 of the tournament. My last opponent actually finished 10th and snagging best death general. I also placed in the top 10 for painting (and quite possibly top 5). As I was only 5 points or so below Dan heelan, slightly ahead of Tyler Mengel and his double mourngul list, and 2 points away from Russ. All in all respectable showing.

Overall impressions

I was very surprised that were nearly nobody running battalions. I was playing my Dreadwood list which I modified to combat the changehost threat (that never actually materialized.) In my opinion, battalions are mandatory for Sylvaneth in competitive play. Sure they are expensive, but being able to control first turn is why I did as well as I did. 

Had I drawn anything other than that particular Nagash list on that particular scenario I stood a very good shot of placing in top 20. Don't let anybody tell you Sylvaneth aren't competitive. 

I would definitely consider playing dreadwood again, as the mobility and flexibility provided by the stratagems proved key in a number of matches. Hidden attackers reducing range to 12" in my second match meant the stormcast player couldn't actually get her skinks into a shooting position despite nearly my entire army being in the center of the board. Using the redeploy meant I could very easily redeploy my wytch to drop her acorn my opponents territory first turn, and then use the realmroots to teleport back into a safe position. Mobility was a major factor in nearly all my wins, and playing hard to objectives and smart target priority meant I could basically pick and choose what fights I wanted while my opponent was forced to fight on my terms. 

While spites aren't as good in combat as... well... anything else, their scenery haunting feature proved very very helpful vs the maggotkin/demon players, as it makes rolling a 1 for battleshock nearly impossible. Using them as chaff preventing my opponent from bringing his heavy hitter to bear on my Hunters/TLA/Dryads without clearing them out of the way first. In scenarios where I was able to get on the objectives early this proved key, since my opponent was forced to clear the spites first, eating up turns and activations while my scoring units racked up points. Only in the two scenarios where there was more than 1 horde unit did the list struggle, and even then had a few dice rolls gone the other way (my huntsmaster rolling three 1's for example, leaving my opponents bloodthirster alive for an extra round thus giving him enough time to kill my TLA, putting him ahead of me in VP) the outcome would have been very different.

In hindsight, I also think my choice of moonstone and warsinger was probably unnecessary, and I would have been better served to go with my original build of gift of Ghyran and Briarsheath. My TLA failed nearly every stomp and the extra -1 to hit + free healing would have really made a difference in the two matches where he was killed.  

I would strongly consider playing Dreadwood again even though the alpha-strike feature never really came into play. Hidden attackers proved the most useful stratagem, particularly against massed shooting and long range spells (Rotigus). In fact, it was particularly useful for getting Drycha into a forward position early, so she could use her squirmlings to pop shooting units without too much fear of getting shot to pieces from across the board. 

I am also considering taking a second look at Winterleaf, since the two matches I lost were to armies with fast-moving hordes in groups of 30-40. 4 units of 30 dryads would be terribly hard to shift off objectives, and the free set-up once per game means they'd be super easy to plunk down on the objectives and then basically dare your opponent to do anything about it. That combined with acorn and teleport basically means maximum board control. Although I would probably think it would be important to try and work a unit of 3 hunters into the list (probably with bows) even if only for their ability extend the range of your command abilities. 

All that being said, playing 8 games over 3 days is tough. The two matches I lost were both my last matches of the day and after 9 hours of AOS it's pretty damn hard to keep your focus. My guess is next year I'll probably skip the team tournament and instead register for the Shadespire event. Giving me a 2 day break between events. 

Still had a blast though. 

10 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

The third was a gore pilgrims list on take and hold. I failed a few key rolls which made the entire match a bloody mess. Thankfully he was unable to pry my final dryad off the objective (and my amazing roll of 1 for the battle shock test) only gave me a minor loss.  

I had a great game man! Those wooden Sylvaneth dice were brutal on you all game and yet in the end earned you that minor loss instead of major!  Fitting end to a fabulous game.  Feel honored to have beaten you as it sounds like you handled some VERY good players.

Appreciate the strategy/insights talk into how your list played and how the Dreadwood worked out.

3 hours ago, Lord Baerion said:

I had a great game man! Those wooden Sylvaneth dice were brutal on you all game and yet in the end earned you that minor loss instead of major!  Fitting end to a fabulous game.  Feel honored to have beaten you as it sounds like you handled some VERY good players.

Appreciate the strategy/insights talk into how your list played and how the Dreadwood worked out.

I did too! Your plays all match were pretty flawless and had the dice gods not taken pity on me for that last roll it would have been all you. I also saw you did really well save for that last match. What did you end up playing against? 

Hey!

Had a handful of games since my last post on this topic. Last night I decided to use Colony of Flitterfuries as my enemy had a low unit count elite army. During the game we came across a question and I did not find a definitive answer. Some of us felt that the colony attack being an AoE does not need line of sight like normal ranged attacks, while others said that despite her missile weapons being special abilities used in the shooting phase, she does indeed need clear line of sight on all enemies being targeted.

What is your take on this? Does she need LoS for  Colony of Flitterfuries or not?

12 minutes ago, romhi said:

What is your take on this? Does she need LoS for  Colony of Flitterfuries or not?

No, because it's an area of attack spell. You don't select a unit, it just does a flat effect to everything within range. Squirmlings on the other hand requires that you "pick a target", and would need LoS.

21 hours ago, Kaylethia said:

I built my Drycha when I wasn't sure which I'd want, so there's a bit of both on her. There hasn't been any problems with that, and I make sure to let my opponents know that I chose this option, and that she can't use the other one.

Tree-Revenants can only use swords, the glaive option is only for the unit leader. I built my unit leader with a sword to ease attacking and to have a smoother distribution. 2 attacks of 2 damage each (60% chance of 0 damage, 35% chance of 2 damage against AS 4+) or 4 attacks of 1 damage each (42% chance of 1 damage, 37% chance of 0 damage against AS 4+) is noticable, but I'd tell you to build whichever way you like the model more.

For the tree revenant i think the glaive is better because thé single reroll you have in the combat phase for the unit have a much bigger impact on a dmg 2 weapon

On 28-3-2018 at 4:36 AM, Mirage8112 said:

Alright party people!

LONG

So it seems you had trouble with Khorne 2x? I find myself not really able to beat them in most games too... it Sylvaneth just bad against Khorne or is Khorne just generally a better tier army than Sylvaneth?

Archived