Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

2 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

@MayItBe

you said drycha unperformed but you dont wanna remove her.

if you change idea what can be a good add? Maybe a brenchwhytch and +3 bow hunters? Or wytch and +3 scythes for a block of 6 scythes?:)

I would like to remove her, but i am not sold on my other possibilities.

Best would be taking Loremaster and 3 Kurnoths (10pts spare), but i i have not played it yet. I think Loremaster spell would do miracles on drycha, but she's out. I am not fan of 6-hunter block, 2x3 seems more flexible. Loremaster is vulnerable to wyldwoods, but if you keep him 3" away, he's safe.

09-10.12 We have another big tournament coming and i'll test no-drycha-list for at least month.

Gnarlroot is worth he cost. Loosing key elements hurts a lot! If i loose acornWych first turn, fail ancient's 4+ wood and get my verdant blessing disspelled things starts to get ugly rally fast, when i don't mobility /MW output granted by woods. I always place my starting wyldwood in the middle of the board on the objectives, and deploy in a manner that all my units will be within 3" of acornWood, to SpiritPath to the middle of the board. When battling against Fulminators, the only way for me to kill them is to snipe off castellan (+1 save and healing on rolled 6), drag them into wyldwoods, and spam MW :]

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MayItBe said:

I would like to remove her, but i am not sold on my other possibilities.

Best would be taking Loremaster and 3 Kurnoths (10pts spare), but i i have not played it yet. I think Loremaster spell would do miracles on drycha, but she's out. I am not fan of 6-hunter block, 2x3 seems more flexible. Loremaster is vulnerable to wyldwoods, but if you keep him 3" away, he's safe.

09-10.12 We have another big tournament coming and i'll test no-drycha-list for at least month.

I've tested Drycha + Loremaster a little and it's quite potent. The re-rolls to hit and wound, especially when she's Enraged (12 attacks), makes her very scary against most things. Here's one Gnarlroot list for ref. Thanks for all the posts sharing your experiences. Look forward to hearing how no-Drycha goes. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 5.35.33 PM.png

I play gnarlroot too and i find it kinda strong. My list is a little different, i do not play drycha (i use durthu instead) and i have just 6 hunters (till i'll buy 2 new kurnoth boxes). I'm still evolving the list, but i really enjoy it for now. I'm thinking to ad a second branchwych just to cast 2 more spell (if used well sylvaneth magic can really be op). I agree with the importance of the single drop, and this plus the magic bonus make gnarlroot worth its cost. 

I'm interested in drycha, i have the model too and find it really cool, but when i did played her she did not perfmormed enough for her cost, why did you want to keep her in your army? What would you add, or how you think to play her to make her worth the cost? @MayItBe

Edit: Sorry you already have explained your idea on drycha, i did not read all the thread. I'll have a tournament too in December, a couple tournament with a friends (1000 points each), he will bring tzeench and i have to decide if bring sylvaneth or pestilens.

Anyway, i'm interested in how you will evolve your list, and if you want i can give you some idea that i reach playing gnarlroot list

@Lhw I guess most important thing is to choose certain stratagem to secure objecvtives instead of alpha striking opponent. Also use Alarielle (if you play her) as support character in majority of cases but you already know it. For example I had great success with Duality of Death - to bunker both objectives thanks to 1 or 2 strategems and then wych hidden in Dryads/Hunters and Alarielle are extremly tough to move from. I often also use stratagems to place Dryads on the objective especially with Scorched Earth to quickly destroy opponent's objectives to get huge advantage. Later on I will write up specific armies I struggled the most and was most comfortable. 

What version of list are you planning to use ? 

Thanks @DantePQ. Interesting to hear that you would avoid chucking Alarielle forward? Think that might be something I need to try to convince myself not to do. The temptation of 6 Scythes and Alarielle in the face T1 is quite tempting. A summary of the armies you struggled with/were comfortable with would be awesome.

This is the list I was going to use:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- General
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (440)
- Scythes
Dreadwood Wargrove (200)
Outcasts (90)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

10 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

I've tested Drycha + Loremaster a little and it's quite potent. The re-rolls to hit and wound, especially when she's Enraged (12 attacks), makes her very scary against most things. Here's one Gnarlroot list for ref. Thanks for all the posts sharing your experiences. Look forward to hearing how no-Drycha goes. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 5.35.33 PM.png

If I'd play gnarlroot I'd play exactly this list (maybe swap revenants for more dryads but probably not). Since new book I've been hesitant to pay much for the batallion.. how is this list working for you?

@Lhw 

Regarding Deepwood it depends how you want to approach each game - when I started playing Dreadwood almost every game I was trying to alpha strike with Hunters and Alarielle but after a while I found out that sometimes it's more optimal to use stratagems in a different way.

Scorched Earth is good example as it's tough for your opponent to defend all objectives and set up to prevent alpha strike also Alarielle can easily wipe out small-medium size units guarding objectives and Dryads can capture one against majority of armies. And then with Alarielle it's easy to defend your objectives long enough to win comfortably. I guess it's a scenario that I have won every single battle. 

Duality of Death thanks to stratagems should also be favorable scanrio as its easy to bunker on both objectives easily and hold on long enough.

From my exprience Dreadwood enables to put a lot of pressure on your opponent in many ways - ability to alpha strike, taking objectives very quickly with tough to clear units, also sometimes it's profitable to go second with 3rd stratagem. Along with ability to set up at least one extra wood thanks to acorn (or 2 with Verdan'ts Blessing) turn1 there is great deal of mobility right from them start. 

I played quite a lot with this army so armies it's struggles against

1) DoT - no suprise here, against DoT army loses ability to pressure opponent as sheer mortal damage output form DoT is great pressure, I've played 3 games against Changehost and lost 2 (one major lose and one minor) and won 1. One I won was with me reducing range to 12'' going second and then having double turn. But I guess that in Scorched Earth it's also winnable against DoT as opponent will have tough time to decide between guarding all 3 objectives or preventing successfull alpha strike. And opponent must decide before he know how many stratagems you will have. 

2) Horde armies - I lost also 3 games against "top tier" horde armies - Murderhost and Fyreslayers as it's tough to clear all those bodies but didn't play much and all those games were pretty close, as it's only Alarielle to clear hordes and to some degree Hunters. 

Armies I was comfartable with this army 

1) SCE - played against many different SCE armies as they are the most popular army in my area - won all of them. Combination of superior mobility, spellcasting and ability to alpha strike is awesome against SCE as they are not able to capture objectives againt Dreadwood.  

2) Elite armies - Death, BCR quite easy to alpha strike their biggest threats, they have hard times with capturing objectives. 

3) Seraphon  - I played 2 games only but won both comfortably.

That's very interesting, thanks @DantePQ. Really good run down. 

No surprises about DoT. Think we just always tend to lose to them, unless the opponent makes significant mistakes (and even then can be a struggle!). Bit more surprised about Murderhost and Fyreslayers. I thought you might be able to get away with stringing out your Dryads in front of them and tying them down that way for a turn or two? I guess they might just die too easily though. 

@Lhw Yes there is a problem with Dryads that outside of the wood/some extra save they have very limited ofensive output and die easily , they are perfect at bunkering into objective especially in Wyldwood especially with shield cast on them. Also I didn't play much against those armies - played once again Fyrelasyers and 3 times against Murderhost , and I didn't even know how exactly Fyreslayers worked back then but again those were very close games so both armies are surely beatable I just aaproach them badly as well.  

yep DoT is a problem but still I think Dreadwood thanks to extra mobility, alpha strike and ability to take objectives fast is out best bet agaisnt DoT other Sylvaneth armies are even worse against DoT. Also sometimes there is huge problem how to approach them - give them first turn and limit abilities to 12'' so they have almost every time empty turn and then go for double turn (especially with unbinding being limited to 12 so you can have a shot at doing some serious damage with Spear shooting, Metamorphosis and Arcane Bolt even in one turn) or to alpha strike them somehow as objective hunting is useless as they will kill your army easily uncontested. Some scenarios help like I mentioned.  

I like how you can easily win against elite armies also in matches against Sylventh Dreadwood is scary (especially with spites as they lower LD and can do some LD damage) I played Sylvaneth several times and won all quite easily. 

I am a new Sylvaneth player and have my army almost on 2k, I plan on building my army around Alarielle and I was thinking of roster like this :

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwych (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines

Battleline
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
- Sylvaneth Battleline

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows
- Scythes
- Scythes

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

Any changes I could do here, or any other rosters centered around Alarielle? I was thinking of some ways to get also a batallion but I cannot think of anything for now

@DantePQ, that was very much my thoughts with DoT, too. Always going to struggle against them, but Dreadwood gives you the best chance. Either using the 12" strategy, or if they make a mistake in deployment trying to smash out the big characters with an alpha strike. As you say, scenario could help.

I played my 3rd game with it last night, against @Drakira's new, pretty good (IMO) death list. The Scythes did absolutely nothing in their alpha strike, but did mean he had to spend a turn turning everything to deal with it. 30 Dryads were great, as spent the game inspired and shielded, meaning they didn't finally die until turn 5 and had been continually scoring on one of the mid way ones for me. Ended up sneaking a win. I'd rolled 1 for amount of strategy's again, but I think that might have actually helped me. I'd considered chucking Alarielle forward too, but didn't as couldn't, and she ended up being much more important in a supporting role. 

33 minutes ago, Lhw said:

I'd considered chucking Alarielle forward too, but didn't as couldn't, and she ended up being much more important in a supporting role. 

When plaing Dreadwood, you should print and laminate these words and carry them with you to the battlefield :) 

Greetings guys. I was checking our armybook and looked at the pretty pictures of massed Tree- Revenants and got in the mood to try a list with many of them, but I couldn't for the life of me manage to think of a good way to use them in large numbers and make a list with them as the main element.

Has anyone had any with such a list or am I deluding myself and they are only good in units of 5 teleporting to objectives?

It pains me that in the fluff they form the core fighting force of the Sylvaneth and we almost not see them in lists at all...  :(

48 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

Greetings guys. I was checking our armybook and looked at the pretty pictures of massed Tree- Revenants and got in the mood to try a list with many of them, but I couldn't for the life of me manage to think of a good way to use them in large numbers and make a list with them as the main element.

Has anyone had any with such a list or am I deluding myself and they are only good in units of 5 teleporting to objectives?

It pains me that in the fluff they form the core fighting force of the Sylvaneth and we almost not see them in lists at all...  :(

I've played with units of 10, just because I stole the idea from Ben Johnson. :) Turned out ok I guess, thats three very mobile units with a modest footprint. But I still rate dryads as way better. Fun to use, though. Three teleporting 10-man units forces your opponent to think twice about leaving to much room behind their army. 

3 hours ago, Siegfried VII said:

The problem is that they are very fragile for their point cost. 16 points per wound with only a 5+ is horrific. Taking large numbers of them is a recipe for getting tabled. 

48 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

The problem is that they are very fragile for their point cost. 16 points per wound with only a 5+ is horrific. Taking large numbers of them is a recipe for getting tabled. 

I know. They are not killy enough, they can't take a punch they have 32mm bases with only 1inch reach so even if you get lots of them they can't all fight and they are not cheap. It somehow feels that they need a warscroll change rather than a points adjustment...

I have Revenants in my list mainly because of household, but when playing smaller battles i always aim to take one unit of them. 5 man squad to create small terror inside my enemy's deployement - when they try to block all edges of the table to prevent them from teleporting. They (Revenants ) mostly ends up hiding all game behind a rock or something, and we both forget about them, but in 4th, 5th turn, when they suddenly pop up somewhere, the look on your opponents face is worth 80 pts :D

16 hours ago, Lhw said:

@DantePQ, that was very much my thoughts with DoT, too. Always going to struggle against them, but Dreadwood gives you the best chance. Either using the 12" strategy, or if they make a mistake in deployment trying to smash out the big characters with an alpha strike. As you say, scenario could help.

I played my 3rd game with it last night, against @Drakira's new, pretty good (IMO) death list. The Scythes did absolutely nothing in their alpha strike, but did mean he had to spend a turn turning everything to deal with it. 30 Dryads were great, as spent the game inspired and shielded, meaning they didn't finally die until turn 5 and had been continually scoring on one of the mid way ones for me. Ended up sneaking a win. I'd rolled 1 for amount of strategy's again, but I think that might have actually helped me. I'd considered chucking Alarielle forward too, but didn't as couldn't, and she ended up being much more important in a supporting role. 

Glad to know it performs quite well. I'm curious how Throne of Vines perform in Dreadwood. I've never tried it?

Hi all,

New Sylvaneth player here, I need advice on one army that I have a problem with.

There is Khorne player who is really competitive guy his army is Bloodletters bomb, 30 of them with a lot of buff to get that 2+ to MW and very fast movement which they can run and charge at the same turn so if nothing goes wrong with his dices he usually finish the charge or grab objective at turn 1 . I'm not sure if I also got the tactical error or not but I'm very struggling to just not get tabled or lose on objective point badly since my army is very fragile and not doing enough damage to wipe those bloodletters or snipe his heroes down. (but for other armies like SCE, Death, Destruction I can play against them equally)

Do you guys have any experience or any tip on playing against this Letterbombs list? any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

BTW these are the model I currently have but normally I would borrow another Sylvaneth player's models to get to 2000 points.  (more dryad or Spirit of Durthu) Me and another Sylvaneth player we both have total of 5 Wyldwoods base so maybe we should get more of these?

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwych (80)
Drycha Hamadreth (280)

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
20 x Dryads (200)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1460 / 2000

Ps. Sorry for my English since it's not my first language lol

4 hours ago, Siegfried VII said:

I know. They are not killy enough, they can't take a punch they have 32mm bases with only 1inch reach so even if you get lots of them they can't all fight and they are not cheap. It somehow feels that they need a warscroll change rather than a points adjustment...

I dunno, i think their warscroll is pretty good. Their offense would be pretty poor in a very large unit size but a 5-10 man squad should have no problem getting most if not all models into range. Their WDR (my personal tool for measuring damage efficiency) is .067 currently (not including the one die reroll), which is decent but not great. Greatsword Kurnoths, for reference, are .085 (including 3 models worth of Trample Underfoot). Their mobility combined with respectable offense makes them efficient enough to be a good tactical weapon, but not a main battle unit. If they were reduced to 60 points, their WDR would shoot up to .089 which is quite strong. That combined with their mobility would make them a MUCH more interesting choice. At 12 points per wound with a 5+ save they would still be very inefficient on defense and would likely be hard to use as a main battle unit, but you could justify taking them in much larger numbers than currently. 

If they were made more defensively efficient by changing the warscroll they would start to lose their distinct identity. 

7 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Glad to know it performs quite well. I'm curious how Throne of Vines perform in Dreadwood. I've never tried it?

Idea is to maximise Alarielle's spells. The +D3 not only makes her own unique spell more likely to go off, it also increases the amount of damage it does, as you're rolling dice for the number the spell was cast on.  Also, with the free move strategy, you can get her within 16" of them T1 to hit something with it. Or such is my thinking! As well as this, I often rely quite often on sitting her within 6" of a wood and hoping for some 5+s to rouse it - throne of vines on a 5 is easy to get off and then makes the rest of your spells easy to get off too. 

On 31/10/2017 at 10:51 PM, Axter said:

I play gnarlroot too and i find it kinda strong. My list is a little different, i do not play drycha (i use durthu instead) and i have just 6 hunters (till i'll buy 2 new kurnoth boxes). I'm still evolving the list, but i really enjoy it for now. I'm thinking to ad a second branchwych just to cast 2 more spell (if used well sylvaneth magic can really be op). I agree with the importance of the single drop, and this plus the magic bonus make gnarlroot worth its cost. 

I'm interested in drycha, i have the model too and find it really cool, but when i did played her she did not perfmormed enough for her cost, why did you want to keep her in your army? What would you add, or how you think to play her to make her worth the cost? @MayItBe

Edit: Sorry you already have explained your idea on drycha, i did not read all the thread. I'll have a tournament too in December, a couple tournament with a friends (1000 points each), he will bring tzeench and i have to decide if bring sylvaneth or pestilens.

Anyway, i'm interested in how you will evolve your list, and if you want i can give you some idea that i reach playing gnarlroot list

Can branchwych cast 2 spells per hero phase? Can I get a page reference for that please?

Archived