Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

2 hours ago, Nico said:

This is optimistic. There is nothing behind them except the 5 wound heroes and the LoC who have no reason to be near the front. There's no chunky combat unit to sink your Scythes into. Granted - they could mess up their deployment - but cannot count on it.

While I (largely) agree that you'll probably be going second, you are assuming your opponent knows the alpha is coming, (which is not a given at all). 

*** edit.

I've gone back and looked at the list again, and realized that the blue's and brims were fielded in addition to the pinks. I had assumed they were there as a split. That actually makes more sense as to why the list is so difficult to deal with. 

I'm going to take another look at the lists make-up and get back to you guys.  

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Against mortal wounds it's either killing them fast with dreadwood (if that works) or just bringing a lot of wounds to the table.. which isn't our strength at all.. but a dryad heavy list might work.. somewhat. The only other thing I can think of is doing a monster mash with Drycha - like the list I STILL need to try - and try to heal.. but I think they'll just focus down one big guy per turn and doubt it would work.  I just think DoT is and will stay a bad match up and wins will be rare.. I'd say dreadwood is the best chance to get those rare wins.

7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Against mortal wounds it's either killing them fast with dreadwood (if that works) or just bringing a lot of wounds to the table.. which isn't our strength at all.. but a dryad heavy list might work.. somewhat...  I just think DoT is and will stay a bad match up and wins will be rare.. I'd say dreadwood is the best chance to get those rare wins.

This is basically my thought as well. Most events allow some kind of sideboard/ list variation (it depends on the event) and I wasn't sure what to do with it, but a list like the above might be a good candidate for such a sideboard.

The Changehost list looks like what I mentioned before; a list geared toward focusing down elite model lists, or lists that invest heavily in characters. Dropping Drycha allows you to add another 30 dryads, and swapping the scythes for bows gives you decent range. That's ~90 models and 132 wounds. A Changehost list has little CC to speak of (mostly magic and some shooting) and that's a lot of bodies to clear. Especially when you consider they're losing an entire turn due due to range limitations. 

So I've played quite a few games with Dreadwood list I was using (Alarielle, Branchwych with Acorn and Verdant's Blessing,30 Dryads,4x5 Spites, 6 Kurnoth Hunters) although I had good results mostly wins I am not happy with Alarielle, when using her as second hammer she was dying quite often and quite easily (sure 3 times I failed to cast Mystic Shield on her but still) I will continue to playtest that list but also came up with something more well rounded : 

Dreadwood/Outcasts

Treelord Ancient - Gnarled Warrior, Moonstone of Hidden Ways, Regrowth

Drycha - Squirmlings, Dwellers Below 

Branchwych - Acorn of Ages, Verdant's Blessing 

30 Dryads

4x5 Spite Revenants 

6 Kurnoth Hunters

TLA command ability is great for Dryads and Hunters, I can deep strike up to 3 units (thanks to Moonstone) but Moonstone gives me ability to do so later on, sure TLA isn't combat monster but is perfect to bunker on some objectives. I got to playtest it a little bit. 

After another mixed tourney with Gnarlroot, think I'm going to try Dreadwood for a bit. Those of you who have been playing with it (particularly @DantePQ) I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what the important things to get right with it are? 

26 minutes ago, Lhw said:

After another mixed tourney with Gnarlroot, think I'm going to try Dreadwood for a bit. Those of you who have been playing with it (particularly @DantePQ) I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what the important things to get right with it are? 

Hey Laurie, did you try Alarielle again or go with a different Gnarlroot for Facehammer?

Looks like sylvaneth struggled again in general at the event, although I didn't see many folks running them, which was also interesting.

What would you say are some of the issues you've been running into?

@Mirage8112 has been focusing on Dreadwood as well and has a lot of in-depth thoughts on it. 

@Lhw I think that most important thing is to choose how to use particular stratagems in particular scenarios, it's not always the best solution to alpha strike, sometimes bunkering on objectives with Dryads or big hero is much better play or going second with 3rd stratagem.  

Also the alpha strike part is also huge, I remember one game (against strong shooty star drake SCE army) I just hammered Alarielle and 6 Kurnoth into SCE (as they were deployed in one place guarding shooters), I rolled bad for 2nd turn and by turn 3 both Alarielle and Kurnoths were dead but I still won comfortably with objectives. 

I know that you've used Alarielle with great results but in Dreadwood more often she got to be a hammer , as her healing ability won't be that great as it can target only Hunters and her and she isn't that awesome at that especially with opponent having some kind of -1 to hit. But maybe it's down to the fact that I've usually used that in such way. What I like with Alarielle is that she's kind of swiss-knife army, especially in dreadwood : she gives a lot spellcasting and unbinding, little bit of shooting, can fight and also she can bunker on objectives really fast thanks to stratgems. 

I was thinking really hard what to take in GH2017 Dreadwood army and I think that 30 Dryads,6 Hunters (but I am keen to playtest greatswords especially with more hordes coming up) and of course 20 Spites is a must, then it's down to leaders. 

Still I will be playtesting Alarielle ( with Scythes Hunters and another one with Swords) build for whole month, and then maybe will playtest some games with TLA build. 

As we've talked already I think with Sylvaneth it's quite important in my opinion to have one-drop army and in Gnarlroot there is a lot of points in Battalion that deson't help you right away, Dreadwood can give you bigger or smaller advantage in terms of board control and taking objectives right away which is great.  

And yeah @Mirage8112 was the first player to came up with Dreadwood and has awesome insight into that kind of list, learned a lot from his posts. 

I'm increasingly convinced that the 12" cap also works on unbinding - as the ability to unbind is always specified on a Warscroll under the heading "Abilities" and sub-heading "Magic".

Makes it better vs DoT.

2 hours ago, DantePQ said:

@Lhw I think that most important thing is to choose how to use particular stratagems in particular scenarios, it's not always the best solution to alpha strike, sometimes bunkering on objectives with Dryads or big hero is much better play or going second with 3rd stratagem.  

Also the alpha strike part is also huge, I remember one game (against strong shooty star drake SCE army) I just hammered Alarielle and 6 Kurnoth into SCE (as they were deployed in one place guarding shooters), I rolled bad for 2nd turn and by turn 3 both Alarielle and Kurnoths were dead but I still won comfortably with objectives. 

I know that you've used Alarielle with great results but in Dreadwood more often she got to be a hammer , as her healing ability won't be that great as it can target only Hunters and her and she isn't that awesome at that especially with opponent having some kind of -1 to hit. But maybe it's down to the fact that I've usually used that in such way. What I like with Alarielle is that she's kind of swiss-knife army, especially in dreadwood : she gives a lot spellcasting and unbinding, little bit of shooting, can fight and also she can bunker on objectives really fast thanks to stratgems. 

I was thinking really hard what to take in GH2017 Dreadwood army and I think that 30 Dryads,6 Hunters (but I am keen to playtest greatswords especially with more hordes coming up) and of course 20 Spites is a must, then it's down to leaders. 

Still I will be playtesting Alarielle ( with Scythes Hunters and another one with Swords) build for whole month, and then maybe will playtest some games with TLA build. 

As we've talked already I think with Sylvaneth it's quite important in my opinion to have one-drop army and in Gnarlroot there is a lot of points in Battalion that deson't help you right away, Dreadwood can give you bigger or smaller advantage in terms of board control and taking objectives right away which is great.  

And yeah @Mirage8112 was the first player to came up with Dreadwood and has awesome insight into that kind of list, learned a lot from his posts. 

I'd try putting her against softer targets and flee if possible if it gets to hot (ofc after casting her nasty spell once more). If she runs she cant easily be caught. That way she can keep healing the hunters and pick another target for a 2nd attack with care.

Thanks for that @DantePQ. Really interesting stuff. Sounds like it must take a while to get used to. I'm going to start using it with Alarielle, but you're probably right that Drycha and TLA would work better. Just so used to a TLA as part of Gnarls and Household that playing it without it I always am underwhelmed.   @Mirage8112, anything further you would add? 

@scrubyandwells I took a different list, swapped Alarielle for 10 more dryads (making a unit of 20), Drycha and Scythes. Not sure I can offer much constructive feedback on the weekend. I lost first two games. Game 1 vs Jawz, which I made a couple of mistakes on, but shows that they have got stronger. Then I played a Seraphon player who got 3 turns in a row to my 1, cos of Engine of the Gods. So that didn't go so well. As a result, was working my way up from near bottom, so played quite a few armies that are a good match up (Gutbusters, Nighthaunt and then Jawz again). Resulted in 3 reasonably comfortable wins. 

I was talking to Mark Caseley (not sure if he's on here). He was one of the other sylvaneth players, who finished slightly higher than me, the ******. We agreed that we've got a lot less capacity for making mistakes now - if you make one, you'll get punished for it. 

Free Spirits 90
Spirit of Durthu 400
6 Hunters 440
6 Hunters 440
6 Hunters 440
10 Dryads 100
10 Dryads 100
5 Revenants 80  1990

Easy. Hunters becomes fast, equipment to define. 

Trait: Charges reroll for units in 10"

Artifact: the -1 to hit on Durthu.

Talking about wounds, Hunters still top for me. 6 of them still 30 wound ad TS4+ (rerolled most of the times). They are spells free, don't need to support, and for 90 points they simply becomes cavalry. 

Durthu still Durthu.

Troops for objectives. Revenants, because you need someone to bring the objectives that the Hunters had clear. 

Dunno I'm not an expert, but seems to me way better than the Dreadwood.

@Lhw I guess Alarielle vs TLA+Drycha is upt to personal choice, Mirage even uses Drycha + Wych and Branchwright with regular TL. Drycha + TLA gives you more flexibility but Alarielle gives you awesome unbinding and spellcasting plus she could be nasty, especially to take and hold objectives very fast with extra move from stratagems. 

Hi @Cerve. I can see why that looks good on paper. Unfortunately Free Spirits has a big hole in it, that all units in the battalion have to move towards the nearest unit in the hero phase. This is fine to begin, but the 2nd one of them is in combat you lose the ability entirely - as all units can't move towards it at that point. I don't really like the factor it works that way, but that's what it says.

I think your list would also massively struggle against anything that can deal mortal wounds, or even normal shooting. Hunters really struggle against shooting, especially as they wouldn't even be rolling 1s. Think it'd be great fun, but maybe not that viable. 

1 hour ago, Lhw said:

Hi @Cerve. I can see why that looks good on paper. Unfortunately Free Spirits has a big hole in it, that all units in the battalion have to move towards the nearest unit in the hero phase. This is fine to begin, but the 2nd one of them is in combat you lose the ability entirely - as all units can't move towards it at that point. I don't really like the factor it works that way, but that's what it says.

I think your list would also massively struggle against anything that can deal mortal wounds, or even normal shooting. Hunters really struggle against shooting, especially as they wouldn't even be rolling 1s. Think it'd be great fun, but maybe not that viable. 

Mmm there's no hole, because you just need to be near than before moving, not to move directly forward on him. You just have to end your movement like 0,1 inch nearer than before. So you have an huge room for movement in this way.

About struggling against shoot and mortal wounds, that list still the hardnest that Sylvanets can bring. A bunch of Dryads? More wounds but way less effective (morale check and no menance factor, they don't punch, nor they're better at holding an objective).

A lot of people think about 30 Dryads+5 Sisters of the Thorn. Nice. 510 points around a cast.

6 Bow Hunters: 440 points. Same wounds, yep they don't reroll but still with a 4+ native (3+ on wyldwoods), better punch (because no way you will bring all the 30 Dryads in CC), great shoot power (which Dryads have none), and in CC they got rerolls without any cast (which is not reliable and safe at all).

A lot of monsters? Get in some (mortal) wounds and they will lose their power. Hunters don't. 

Literally, against shooting and mortal wounds we can struggle. But there's nothing else in the Sylvaneth book that can be better against that. 18 Kurnoth Free Spirits are almost fast. They can engage fast any shooting/caster unit, get a lot more of pressure than Spite Revenants, and they can kill almost everything in CC. 

More wounds? Less power.

More Behemoths? Less wounds, and so less power again.

I think that Hunters still the best balance between power and resiliance from Sylvaneth. And Free Spirits, a great boost for them imho :-/

6 minutes ago, Cerve said:

Mmm there's no hole, because you just need to be near than before moving, not to move directly forward on him. You just have to end your movement like 0,1 inch nearer than before. So you have an huge room for movement in this way.

About struggling against shoot and mortal wounds, that list still the hardnest that Sylvanets can bring. A bunch of Dryads? More wounds but way less effective (morale check and no menance factor, they don't punch, nor they're better at holding an objective).

A lot of people think about 30 Dryads+5 Sisters of the Thorn. Nice. 510 points around a cast.

6 Bow Hunters: 440 points. Same wounds, yep they don't reroll but still with a 4+ native (3+ on wyldwoods), better punch (because no way you will bring all the 30 Dryads in CC), great shoot power (which Dryads have none), and in CC they got rerolls without any cast (which is not reliable and safe at all).

A lot of monsters? Get in some (mortal) wounds and they will lose their power. Hunters don't. 

Literally, against shooting and mortal wounds we can struggle. But there's nothing else in the Sylvaneth book that can be better against that. 18 Kurnoth Free Spirits are almost fast. They can engage fast any shooting/caster unit, get a lot more of pressure than Spite Revenants, and they can kill almost everything in CC. 

More wounds? Less power.

I think that Hunters still the best balance between power and resiliance from Sylvaneth. And Free Spirits, a great boost for them imho :-/

I don't think our treelord is worse than hunters on paper.

9 minutes ago, Cerve said:

More wounds? Less power.

Sorry, I don't think I explained well. You're right, you need to be nearer than before. But if you are in combat, you can't, unless you retreat. Meaning once one unit is in combat all units lose the ability, as all units need to do it. 

With your list you lose the ability to bring Hunters back (Gnarlroot) or even just bring wounds back on them (Regrowth or Alarielle). You also lose the ability to re roll armour saves of a 1 (TLA). 

For what it's worth I agree Hunters are still one of the best units for us, but think you've gone too big here. Need a balance of different units for different opponents. If that list faced shooting, they'd sit back and shoot you off. 10" a turn would take you at least two turns to get in. 

You've also got no way of generating additional wyldwoods, bar the initial one you put down. 

4 minutes ago, Lhw said:

Sorry, I don't think I explained well. You're right, you need to be nearer than before. But if you are in combat, you can't, unless you retreat. Meaning once one unit is in combat all units lose the ability, as all units need to do it. 

With your list you lose the ability to bring Hunters back (Gnarlroot) or even just bring wounds back on them (Regrowth or Alarielle). You also lose the ability to re roll armour saves of a 1 (TLA). 

For what it's worth I agree Hunters are still one of the best units for us, but think you've gone too big here. Need a balance of different units for different opponents. If that list faced shooting, they'd sit back and shoot you off. 10" a turn would take you at least two turns to get in. 

You've also got no way of generating additional wyldwoods, bar the initial one you put down. 

Oh that thing, mmm yep you're right, just never happen to me right now. 

About regrowth etc, yeah it's true I don't have it.....because I have more Hunters! No it's not a joke, but why I have to spend my point for something that heal Hunters, when I just can have more Hunters? I mean, I'm fine with that.

I can play 9 Hunters, Alarielle/Gnarlroot etc, or just 18 Hunters. I choose the second one.

Alariele is good but she is 600 points, and the equivalent on Hunters still better. Gnarlroot: the same.

And for Wyldwoods the same: I lost the second one, but I get a way more reliable movement boost. The second Wyldwood for teleport I saw it's pretty useless. When an opponent knows that he had a 9" range-denial he will cover one of them pretty easely, and charge will be difficult after that move. I prefer a double movement all the turns (and using them together, when one of them will stuck in CC, the others are near enought to get in CC too without that second movement. So it's fine for me. And when I need to run for an objective, I just fall back. So no problems at all).

22 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I don't think our treelord is worse than hunters on paper.

No save reroll, way few attacks, no reliable damage. I prefer more attacks on D3 dmg, than few on D6. Durthu is already risky, sometimes you will hit well, sometimes you will miss all the attacks (or nearly), and that's happen more than once in the same game.

I can't even immagine a normal Treelord. Hunters are just more solid. 

For 200 points, Treelords should be good. At 240, personally I prefer Hunters.

The only REAL struggle for Hunters is the morale check ;( get them some malus and you are fighting them well.

4 minutes ago, Cerve said:

Oh that thing, mmm yep you're right, just never happen to me right now. 

About regrowth etc, yeah it's true I don't have it.....because I have more Hunters! No it's not a joke, but why I have to spend my point for something that heal Hunters, when I just can have more Hunters? I mean, I'm fine with that.

I can play 9 Hunters, Alarielle/Gnarlroot etc, or just 18 Hunters. I choose the second one.

Alariele is good but she is 600 points, and the equivalent on Hunters still better. Gnarlroot: the same.

And for Wyldwoods the same: I lost the second one, but I get a way more reliable movement boost. The second Wyldwood for teleport I saw it's pretty useless. When an opponent knows that he had a 9" range-denial he will cover one of them pretty easely, and charge will be difficult after that move. I prefer a double movement all the turns (and using them together, when one of them will stuck in CC, the others are near enought to get in CC too without that second movement. So it's fine for me. And when I need to run for an objective, I just fall back. So no problems at all).

Have you played many shooty armies with it? I think it'd really struggle against Overlords, Tzeentch, Bonesplitterz, Shooty SCE or even stuff like Nighthaunts that get out mortal wounds regularly. 

Think you're missing the point with Woods, for what it's worth. 2 isn't amazing, I agree. But 3 is great in the end game and 4 is even better. If you need to jump around the board to capture objectives, you can do that with woods. You can't with Free SPirits. 

7 minutes ago, Lhw said:

Have you played many shooty armies with it? I think it'd really struggle against Overlords, Tzeentch, Bonesplitterz, Shooty SCE or even stuff like Nighthaunts that get out mortal wounds regularly. 

Think you're missing the point with Woods, for what it's worth. 2 isn't amazing, I agree. But 3 is great in the end game and 4 is even better. If you need to jump around the board to capture objectives, you can do that with woods. You can't with Free SPirits. 

Just tried, and I got that:

-You can't jump with nothing if you just have nothing to jump with.

-You need to stay around your woods for teleporting. You're not free to move as you wish.

-For the enemy, 1 model can deny an entire Wyldwood. It's pretty easy to block even 3 of them (and I mean 3x3, not 3 Citadel Wyldwoods).

-You have to set up these woods, which is nearly impossibile with a good opponent. 1 is fine, 2 is struggling, 3 let's thanks your opponent for that :-/ I mean on objectives.

Free Spirits get's you 2 free movement per turn. Pretty easy to control them, and Wyldwood/abilities/spells free. Way more solid.

PS: yes I tried other ways, and what that list struggle against, any other Sylvaneth list struggle against. I think that Tzeentch still a problem, no matter what you bring on the table :-/ (Sylvaneth talking of course).

3 hours ago, Lhw said:

What spell were you using with Alarielle? I was actually considering Throne of Vines, to maximise her own spell and chances of getting shield off. 

I have been using Regrowth as the wyche has Verdant Blessing and she needs regrowth but Throne of vines is also cool idea. 

10 hours ago, Nico said:

I'm increasingly convinced that the 12" cap also works on unbinding - as the ability to unbind is always specified on a Warscroll under the heading "Abilities" and sub-heading "Magic".

Makes it better vs DoT.

Most definitely. I'd be shocked if they ruled otherwise in a FAQ. True I've been surprised before, but that just wouldn't make any sense. 

12 hours ago, DantePQ said:

I think that most important thing is to choose how to use particular stratagems in particular scenarios, it's not always the best solution to alpha strike, sometimes bunkering on objectives with Dryads or big hero is much better play or going second with 3rd stratagem.  

The original version of the list was written back in GHB2016, before spites were battleline. In that version of the list, there simply wasn't any room for dryads or anything substantial enough to hold objectives. The GHB scenarios also weren't quite as diverse, so the alpha strike plan fit pretty well with the battleplan requirements. But in GHB2017, spites became battleline, which really opened up the unit combinations you could field and gave the list more flexibility. In the original version, you alpha-struck or you were left standing there, holding your @#%^ in your hand, hoping your opponent gave you an opening you could exploit. Now, it's possible to build an effective list that doesn't depend so heavily on getting first turn. 

9 hours ago, Lhw said:

Sounds like it must take a while to get used to. I'm going to start using it with Alarielle, but you're probably right that Drycha and TLA would work better. Just so used to a TLA as part of Gnarls and Household that playing it without it I always am underwhelmed.   @Mirage8112, anything further you would add? 

It does take a while to get used to playing a list like this, because it runs contrary to how Gnarlroot plays. Dreadwood is a very aggressive build, (especially if your using the alpha strike stratagem.)

The other reason it is a little more unnerving to play, is that you should probably expect to lose 1/3 up to 1/2 you list over the course of the battle. In the version I'm play testing, I'd expect to lose Drycha, the Hunters, a unit (or two) of spites and maybe 1/2 the dryads. The reason it works, is that it will take your enemy 3-4 turns to finish clearing those units, which means they only really have 1-2 to capture objectives at best. It really takes some getting used to, especially when the mindset of playing an elite army revolves around losing as few units as possible. 

7 hours ago, Lhw said:

Unfortunately Free Spirits has a big hole in it, that all units in the battalion have to move towards the nearest unit in the hero phase.

Not to rules lawyer, but the text says, "In your hero phase, you can pick either an enemy unit or terrain feature, and then move each unit from the free spirits as though it were the movement phase." I was under the impression that because it says "you can pick..., and then move." One could argue that "can" extends through both part of the sentence i.e. "you can pick, and then you [can] move." Meaning moving is optional. I don't see anything about it in the FAQ, but when something is mandatory, they usually add "must". I.e. "you can pick... and then [you must] move." 

Aside from that, I do agree that there are probably better battalions to use in competitive matched play no matter the interpretation. Granted you could use it to get out of combat and then move farther away in your actual movement phase, (since they've ruled moves in other passes still count as retreats) it seems only situational useful to me. 

4 hours ago, Lhw said:

I agree with you @Lhw, but @Cerve seems pretty set on packing them hunters in. Maybe his meta is just a peculiar one where this type of list works well. I'd be terrified to use it in a tournament myself unless I just planned to swim around the bottom tables all day, for the simply reason it doesn't look like it can compete in scorched earth, duality of death or tool conquest. There's juts not enough heroes or bodies. There's no woods to bunker on and no chance at unbinding spells. It does one thing very well (CC) but with a  tiny model.unit count it can't really mitigate mortal wounds from target saturation either. It's got some big eggs, but there all in one tiny basket.

Archived