Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MW output would come from Drycha (Bolt, Primal Terror or Dwellers, depending on the situation), Arcane Bolt and wyldwood activations. For pseudo-MW, Treelords have impaling talons against heroes. Wyldwoods would seem to be semi-reliable with three casters and a plan to drop and bunker objectives. If I load Vulkites with slingshields, that would be an average of 5 MW for charging, although I don't know if that's better than trerolling failed hits.

Got couple lists that I'm looking at. Focusing on playing the models I like at trying to make them work.

list 1

1 x Tree Lord A

1 x Durthu

1 x branchwych

1 x branchwych

5 x Tree Revs 

5 x Tree Revs 

5 x spite Revs 

3 x hunters with bows

3 x hunters with bows

3 x hunters with sythes 

3 x hunters with sythes 

total 1980

List 2

1 x Tree Lord A

1 x branchwych 

1 x hammerdreth

5 x spite Revs 

5 x Tree Revs 

5 x Tree Revs 

3 x hunters bow

3 x hunters bow

3 x hunters scythes 

3 x hunters scythes 

20 x eternal guard 

I do have more models 

waywatcher lords 

hunters with swords 

more eternal guards 

Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, Nico said:

I think @Thomas Lyons Plaguetouched Warrior Spam is the alpha block list that has legs (although killing the hero before turn one or liking Sayl will change the game - 2 Grot Rock Lobbas could see to that even if he is out of line of sight. This is because of the 5++ and the bouncing back mortal wounds.

It's unlikely to become popular.

The list could pretty easily be 2-3 drop with Sayl (possibly with Nightmaw).  I will say that killing the general is likely a lot harder than you might think Nico.  If the PtW player has gone, they're 4+ (3+ on terrain), reroll 1s/4++ vs. spells/5++/6++ (or 5++ vs. Order)...and they're at -1 to hit at ranged (Cunning Deceiver), -2 to hit in melee (Cunning Deceiver/PtW).  With going second, the general loses the reroll 1s and the 5++ generic ward save, and even then you have to shave off 7 wounds.  This is also all assuming that PtW don't start running Warshrine as well with their reduced cost (which is enticing for Duality of Death).  Anecdotally, I have never had my Harbinger killed at any GT and I ran him at Holy Wars, Adepticon, and Nashcon.   

Despite this, I agree with you; it is unlikely to become popular.  Not only because it isn't everyone's cup of tea but because having a tactic rely on a 7+ casting value spell with no reliable way to increase your cast is questionable at best.  I would anticipate expecting to see the list evolve in this new meta, likely adding a block of Chaos Knights to serve as a back up, high mobility meat wall.  I guess only time will tell.  

If I were you, I would be less concerned with the PtW alpha block and more with the Fyreslayer alpha-block imo.  It is much scarier and painfully reliable. 

5 hours ago, Ian R said:

is it correct that Drycha can choose her missile weapon before each game, Flitterfuries or Squirmlings, in a tournament situation?   I think I read something like this on this thread, apologies to author I can't find it now.   I am playing in Blackout this weekend and this choice would be great, but I want to be sure it is normal practice.  Thanks. 

I'd check with @Chris Tomlin. Not sure whether there's an established standard. Best of luck at the event. May you slay many Bloodletters! 

57 minutes ago, Dragon10 said:

Got couple lists that I'm looking at. Focusing on playing the models I like at trying to make them work.

List 2

• 1 x Tree Lord A
  • 1 x branchwych 
  • 1 x hammerdreth
  • 5 x spite Revs 
  • 5 x Tree Revs 
  • 5 x Tree Revs 
  • 3 x hunters bow
  • 3 x hunters bow
  • 3 x hunters scythes 
  • 3 x hunters scythes 
  • 20 x eternal guard 

That one looks cool. It's an exciting time to test out lots of different lists, so the more the merrier. 

8 hours ago, Kaylethia said:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron

10 x Dryads (100)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- Pairs of Handaxes
Treelord (240)
Household (70)
Ironbark Wargrove (160)

Total: 2000/2000

That's a cool-looking list! It definitely has a lot of bodies for a sylvaneth build. I could see the potential for alpha-bunkering or bunkering in general, with your 20 Dryads in a Wyldwood on one objective and your 30 Vulkite tunneling onto another. I'd worry about whether the list has enough damage output, especially vs durable factions, e.g., Stormcast, Seraphon, Fyreslayers, et al. Overall, this would be a great list to test out and see how well it holds up vs a variety of opponents.

Another list! So many lists! 

1. Partially reflects current collection. Would need to add: Branchwraith, Loremaster, Venator, and 20 Eternal Guard.

2. Loremaster's Hand of Glory would likely go on the Venator first turn, providing a more reliable 1st-turn snipe w/ Star-Fated Arrow.

3. Loremaster's Hand of Glory could then go on Spirit of Durthu or Treelord Ancient depending on what's needed.

4. 20 EG + 2x10 Dryads provides some bodies for objectives/Wyldwood bunkering.

5. I've had my Branchwych w/ Acorn/Verdant sniped at the top of rd 1 before, so splitting Acorn and Verdant lessens the chance of losing both.

6. The list can put out seven spells, so lots of potential for Roused by Magic if the wizards can be kept alive reasonably well. Of course, some armies are now amazing at countering magic, which could be a serious problem.

7. Only has 3 Kurnoth, so not really optimizing Verdurous Harmony.

8. Maintains my love-hate relationship with Spirit of Durthu. 

9. Not exactly in love with the list, but it's another one to consider. 

Treelord Ancient
 Gnarled Warrior
 Oaken Armour
 Regrowth
Spirit of Durthu
 Briarsheath
Branchwych
 Acorn of the Ages
 Throne of Vines
Branchwraith
 Verdant Blessing
Loremaster
Knight-Venator 
10 Dryads
10 Dryads
5 Tree-Revenants
3 Kurnoth Scythes
20 Eternal Guard
Gnarlroot

Household

1 hour ago, Nico said:

Thanks Tom! I forgot Sayl has lost the 3D6 cast - that's huge.

I would be remiss to mention that he does have a once per game reroll of a failed cast, so that significantly increases the odds of getting that 7 on the first turn.  That said, sometimes that spell just isn't going off.

Another list! So many lists! 

Treelord Ancient
 Gnarled Warrior
 Oaken Armour
 Regrowth
Spirit of Durthu
 Briarsheath
Branchwych
 Acorn of the Ages
 Throne of Vines
Branchwraith
 Verdant Blessing
Loremaster
Knight-Venator 
10 Dryads
10 Dryads
5 Tree-Revenants
3 Kurnoth Scythes
20 Eternal Guard
Gnarlroot

Household

Looks cool, couple of things. How do you plan on contesting an objective in your opponents deployment zone? Would you be better off swapping the Wych for a unit of Tree Revs, and making the Dryads into a unit of 20?

Is 3 Hunters going to be enough in any list?

How many points are 20 eternal guard?

2 hours ago, Paul G said:

Looks cool, couple of things. How do you plan on contesting an objective in your opponents deployment zone? Would you be better off swapping the Wych for a unit of Tree Revs, and making the Dryads into a unit of 20?

Is 3 Hunters going to be enough in any list?

How many points are 20 eternal guard?

1. Contesting an objective in opponent's deployment: 

That'd be the job of Durthu + 3 Kurnoth Scythes, blowing up a unit on their objective and then bringing in e.g. 10 Dryads to bunker down on that objective.

2. Swapping a Bwych or Bwraith for another unit of 5 TRevs:

That would be my preference, just concerned about only having the Bwych, putting Acorn + Verdant Blessing on her, and then she gets shot off before she gets any woods out. That could be a devastating blow. 

3. Whether 3 Hunters are enough:

Probably not...especially if you're paying for Gnarlroot, you'd probably want to have at least one more unit on the board to better leverage Verdurous Harmony.

4. 20 Eternal Guard are 160pts -- 80pts for 10. 

Thanks for the Qs! 

2 minutes ago, Ian R said:

Played a couple of GHB 2017 games last night.  I found 30 dryads really difficult to use because of a massive footprint and will be playing good old units if 10 again in future!

I know many here swear by 20 Dryads, maybe even 2x20, but yeah over the last 4 tournaments I was pretty happy with 2x10 because of the board flexibility they provide. Things may change, though, in GHB2017...we may need larger units...hard to say at the moment.

21 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

I know many here swear by 20 Dryads, maybe even 2x20, but yeah over the last 4 tournaments I was pretty happy with 2x10 because of the board flexibility they provide. Things may change, though, in GHB2017...we may need larger units...hard to say at the moment.

I've played 2x20 and 1x20 + 1x10 in gnarlroot and I've never had problems moving 20's and I've liked the +1 save a lot over the units of 10.  I must say the dryads usually only move to objective in my zone or on the midline... to be honest I have problems moving to the enemy objective. My most regular opponent usually puts 20 bloodreavers (the weak guys I mean) on there and his buffing characters usually stay back too so they are only just in front of them... so not a think I can assault with 5 revenants (or even with 10 I'd say even if I'd have them). Usually we get a melee on my side of the table since he moves very fast and due to lots of terrain forest placing is difficult. I must say though that getting 20 in combat IS a problem, often it's only 15 or something and I doubt it  would be more in a unit of 30. 

Latest iteration on that last list...

• Replaced Durthu with Drycha, who may be our most critical piece if GHB17 does move toward a horde meta (at least for a while)
  • It's a 3-drop, which could be a problem in some games, but 3 should out-drop a lot of lists
  • It better takes advantage of Gnarlroot's Verdurous Harmony w/ 2 units of Hunters (going back and forth on whether to swap 1 Scythe for 1 Sword)
  • Maintains Loremaster's Hand of Glory + Knight-Venator for decent shot at sniping a key model in 1st round
  • Also maintains option for Hand of Glory on Drycha or Ancient to make them a lot more potent 
  • Still fits 20 Eternal Guard for bunkering an objective in your zone in a Wyldwood (3+ save RR'ing 1's and 2's)
  • Has 10 Dryads + 2x5 TRevs for utility e.g. bodies to take objectives after enemy has been cleared out by heavier hitters, or bodies for screens, etc. 
  • As always this reflects my strong personal bias for smaller-model-count armies , which could be a problem in GHB17...

Treelord Ancient
 Gnarled Warrior
 Oaken Armour
 Regrowth
Drycha
 Verdant Blessing
Branchwych
 Acorn of the Ages
 Throne of Vines
Loremaster
Knight-Venator 
10 Dryads
5 Tree-Revenants
5 Tree-Revenants
3 Kurnoth Scythes
3 Kurnoth Scythes
20 Eternal Guard
Gnarlroot

Household

Looking good man, I know you'll have the 6 scythes in there for the rend, but 3 swords could be good too, dependent on if hordes are going to be as prevalent as people think! Love the Venator too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like your list scruby, it's close to mine but I still doubt about 30 dryads and 10 dryads + 20 EG is probably the way to go.

However, I would take a Waywatcher over Loremaster. I just tested him today and he's really good. It adds one more drop for deployment but you have gnarloot anyway, and except for one shoot of Venator you'll probably be in lack of targets after that. 

22 minutes ago, Asu said:

I really like your list scruby, it's close to mine but I still doubt about 30 dryads and 10 dryads + 20 EG is probably the way to go.

However, I would take a Waywatcher over Loremaster. I just tested him today and he's really good. It adds one more drop for deployment but you have gnarloot anyway, and except for one shoot of Venator you'll probably be in lack of targets after that. 

TLA and drycha will love a lore master buff. 

1 hour ago, Asu said:

36 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

TLA and drycha will love a lore master buff. 

Yeah, Loremaster seems pretty important to the list, but I could see swapping the Venator for a Waywatcher, and then swapping one of the 5 TRevs for another 10 Dryads, which could help with model count for scoring and help with footprint for screens. The sniping wouldn't be as strong with Waywatcher, but he could potentially do more for you over the course of the game. If he were deployed on the line, he'd have a 28" threat range from there, so you might have a good target for him round 1, even if you took first turn, and the Loremaster's Hand of Glory would be pretty solid on him as well. I do love the Venator's durability (2+ save in cover) and mobility, though, which doesn't rely on Wyldwoods...

1 hour ago, scrubyandwells said:

Yeah, Loremaster seems pretty important to the list, but I could see swapping the Venator for a Waywatcher, and then swapping one of the 5 TRevs for another 10 Dryads, which could help with model count for scoring and help with footprint for screens. The sniping wouldn't be as strong with Waywatcher, but he could potentially do more for you over the course of the game. If he were deployed on the line, he'd have a 28" threat range from there, so you might have a good target for him round 1, even if you took first turn, and the Loremaster's Hand of Glory would be pretty solid on him as well. I do love the Venator's durability (2+ save in cover) and mobility, though, which doesn't rely on Wyldwoods...

Thanks guys for the list feedback. Here's (hopefully!) the final version for playtesting this Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes! 

Treelord Ancient
 Gnarled Warrior
 Oaken Armour
 Regrowth
Drycha
 Verdant Blessing
Branchwych
 Acorn of the Ages
 Throne of Vines
Loremaster
Waywatcher
10 Dryads
10 Dryads
5 Tree-Revenants
3 Kurnoth Scythes
3 Kurnoth Scythes
20 Eternal Guard
Gnarlroot

Household

9 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Treelord Ancient
 Gnarled Warrior
 Oaken Armour
 Regrowth
Drycha
 Verdant Blessing
Branchwych
 Acorn of the Ages
 Throne of Vines
Loremaster
Waywatcher
10 Dryads
10 Dryads
5 Tree-Revenants
3 Kurnoth Scythes
3 Kurnoth Scythes
20 Eternal Guard
Gnarlroot

Household

Nice list ! Did you chose if you'll go with Flitterfuries or Squirmlings with Drycha ?

How useful are wyldwoods for movement , where do most put the first wild wood middle? Or a clear deployment zone? What are your reasons. I want to try use as much wyldwoods to my advantage as possible but with having to be 9 inch away from enemy unit Imagine moving between them would be harder than thought.

any ideas, suggestions etc.. would be great.

also 2000 pts games , play on 4x4 or 6x4

i don't like the 4x4 with everything having so much movement seems to be less tactical and more in your face with smaller boards 

Archived