Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't play it.. you really SHOULD read back since I think it's discussed at lenght there a few times ..most recently a few pages ago a switch was made in the strategy to include Alarielle for some sort of alpha strike list (but if you dont'want to do that there was still a lot of stuff on it a bit more back).

Yeah I know I've read throught those replies but my question is how viable it is for tournament and competitive play ? How it performs in tournament play is crucial for me ;) I would have some other options then Gnarlroot Wargrove 

And any ideas how to convert those Spite-Revenants ? 

1 minute ago, DantePQ said:

Yeah I know I've read throught those replies but my question is how viable it is for tournament and competitive play ? How it performs in tournament play is crucial for me ;) I would have some other options then Gnarlroot Wargrove 

And any ideas how to convert those Spite-Revenants ? 

Can't say much about tournamens... Nico will probably have ideas.

Why would you want to convert them (I mean coversions are cool.. but if you have no idea what you want why do it).. I might have missed something about the why of it.

I'm considering attempting to convert some Spite revs out of dryad bodies and the spare spite rev bits from building tree revs, anyone done this?

The reason I started collecting Sylvaneth was Drycha and the Spite revenants, thought they had amazing background, plus the added movement bonuses from the wargrove sound really fun to play, but I don't think it's the most competitive build if that's what you're concerned about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm considering attempting to convert some Spite revs out of dryad bodies and the spare spite rev bits from building tree revs, anyone done this?

Yes - very easy to do. Snip the Dryad bodies at the waist and attach spare Revenant bodies. Flatten some of the joints with a file.

Somehow I'm half way through assembling 80 Dryads. I did lapse briefly - building some Tzeentch - but it was only one model - honest. 

Can't say much about tournamens... Nico will probably have ideas.

There were a great deal of Sylvaneth at Heat One. From what I could tell, there were a lot of Alarielle lists and a lot of Gnarlroot. No surprise there. I didn't spot a Dreadwood Wargrove, let alone something more obscure like an Ironbark, Runesmiter and 30 Vulkites list.

If I were going to take Alarielle, then i would take one of the lists below (which are dedicated alpha strike lists:

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (620) (Regrowth)
- General

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline

Units
5 x Spite-Revenants (100)
9 x Kurnoth Hunters (540)
- Scythes

Battalions
Dreadwood Wargrove (100)
Outcasts (40)

Total: 2000/2000

The second list

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (620)
- General
Spirit of Durthu (400)
- Artefact: Briarsheath 

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
20 x Dryads (240)

Units

Battalions
Dreadwood Wargrove (100)
Outcasts (40)

The Kurnoth Hunters/Durthu use Ambush, whereas Alarielle uses Sneak Attack, as do 2 other units. They shoot/cast spells to zap valuable stuff or blow a hole through a chaff wall. Then they charge in and smash face.

Meanwhile the rest of your army moves foward to flood objectives.

It might make sense to reduce the Scythes down to 6 and take a Branchwraith with Verdant Blessing and an Acorn, since otherwise you have no reliable way to put down any more Wyldwoods (and as you're taking turn one it makes sense to flood the table with Wyldwoods).

Hi!

Anyone has an idea how to handle fulminators as sylvaneth?

Last time I played vs them (the first time though), 4 of them killed my dryads (20) in 1 charge and one turn later killed my Kurnoths with their breath and charge before I could react! Sure I made some fails on deploymnt and positioning but its kinda hard to decide what to send to which objective when there are 3 objectives on the board! (we played escalation)

So I played against one of my regular opponents today.. and he disputes everything he can. Today he objected to me having 3 artefacts in a standard Gnarlroot list. 

I obviously had a TLA, wych and revenants.

He 

1. said the gnarlroot was an upgrade of the household (so only 1 additinional batalion and thus only 1 artefact)

2. even IF a household upgraded to gnarlroot would give 2 artefacts then it STILL wouldn't work since by upgrading my treelord to a TLA (as you must for gnarlroot) you dont'have a household anymore (even though it says "you get a household with a TLA instead of a treelord).

Now I think both of his arguments are complete and utter bollocks... but he'll be in a small local tourney.. so I can expect objections then and need good arguments to convince the TO. Besides the batallion rules (which are clear enough for me.. but apparently not to him) I have no real arguments to support my side.

I mean all GW tourneys run gnarlroots like I do right?

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

So I played against one of my regular opponents today.. and he disputes everything he can. Today he objected to me having 3 artefacts in a standard Gnarlroot list. 

Yeah he's 100% wrong. Gnarlroot Wargrove, which requires taking Household, represents two additional artefacts (one for Gnarlroot, and one for Household), in addition to your standard one, for a total of three.

On 1/29/2017 at 1:03 PM, DantePQ said:

Can someone give me some insight into Dreadwood Wargrove ? I know it has been discussed here but is it viable tournament option ? I ask because I woudl have to buy 20 Spite-Revenants and convert them but I am intrigued by it's options

Dreadwood is basically our most viable "kill them before they do anything" alpha-strike list. 

It's a very very aggressive way to play that's basically high-risk / high-reward. I'm sure other people have thought of using it, but the list Nico quoted below came out of some theory crafting sessions with @scrubyandwells for a podcast we did a while back. It's gone through a few evolutions, and at @Nico's suggestion of adding Alarielle, the current "best" list is as follows:

On 1/29/2017 at 5:37 PM, Nico said:

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (620) (Regrowth)
- General

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline

Units
9 x Kurnoth Hunters (540)
- Scythes

Battalions
Dreadwood Wargrove (100)
Outcasts (40)

I've done all the math on the variations, and this one puts out the most amount amount of damage possible in the first combat phase; ~40 wounds, most at -2 rend. That's pretty much enough to kill any big monster or unit, and possibly cripple 4-5 before the first full turn of the game. The main damage dealers are the hunters with scythes, with Alarielle as a support/horde clearer. The outcasts are there to camp objectives, and the T-rev are there for chaff to either redirect enemies away from objectives, or to harry & harass. 

The list puts out a big punch in the first round, and will positively destroy anything it's put up against. Providing:

1. You get first turn
2. The opponent deploys on the table 
3. it might struggle slightly vs death/demon armies. 

1. It's important you get first turn for this list to work in an optimum way. you can still alpha-strike if you don't get firs turn, but it's a bit more risky and you have to be dead certain about what targets you pick. Put those hunters in the wrong place and it's game over. 

2. You obviously can't alpha strike what not on the table. Really the only army that this would be a problem with is stormcast with their lightning strike. It's not a total deal breaker but it's an uphill battle. 

3. This isn't too much of a problem, but this army does try to take advantage of low bravery. Since undead and demons both have bravery 10, this is stymied a bit. But the alpha strike component works so well, it might not be an issue. 

Hope that helps. 

Hey Guys, we recently finished a friendly 3 round Swiss between friends over the course of a few weeks. The lists were 2K no sideboard, armies were Death/Death/Stormcast/Ironjawz/Sylvaneth(me)/Chaos Bloodbound 

Would anyone be interested in my list/thoughts here? I played an Allerielle Gnarlroot list which I was very happy with. Or should I post the battle reports elsewhere?

I won overall :) 2 wins and a points draw. So I have now coloured our group chat Green in victory! It was previously a horrid brown for one of the death players...

Very interested!

Side note: I've been playing awhile with the gnarlroot build but am now finally looking at building drycha. What's everyone's thoughts on choice of bugs (shooting attacking)? I've searched the net for reports on how each has faired but to not avail. Any notes on the topic would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Jorthax said:

Hey Guys, we recently finished a friendly 3 round Swiss between friends over the course of a few weeks. The lists were 2K no sideboard, armies were Death/Death/Stormcast/Ironjawz/Sylvaneth(me)/Chaos Bloodbound 

Would anyone be interested in my list/thoughts here? I played an Allerielle Gnarlroot list which I was very happy with. Or should I post the battle reports elsewhere?

I won overall :) 2 wins and a points draw. So I have now coloured our group chat Green in victory! It was previously a horrid brown for one of the death players...

Cool, congrats! Yeah I'd love to hear about your games. 

@Jorthax Would be good to hear about these here.

I'll be posting some battle reports either directly here or via links to the South London Legion thread as my first two games at Firestorm Fours (team event - teams of 4 in Cardiff - Mo Comp and Mo and Tom doing a great job of refereeing and organising) were against Gnarlroot w/ Durthu (taking one for the team...:D - @Thanatos Ares).

Archived