Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

On 5/27/2018 at 5:33 PM, Mirage8112 said:

An opinion that ignores basic facts is dumb, like saying the earth is flat or that cilantro tastes bad. 

Haha  thats a dumb comparisson. ? of course cilantro tastes bad ;) 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Kramer said:

Haha  thats a dumb comparisson. ? of course cilantro tastes bad ;) 

Lol. It is dumb. 

Apparently people who don't like cilantro lack the ability to detect specific enzyme that makes cilantro taste good.

So it's not you @Kramer. turn out it's in your genes. 

14 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

Lol. It is dumb. 

Apparently people who don't like cilantro lack the ability to detect specific enzyme that makes cilantro taste good.

So it's not you @Kramer. turn out it's in your genes. 

Haha now we’re getting philosophical!! 1. Am I not my genes? 

2. And if I’m not is it still not my reality and therefore true? 

. Two opposite truths can still be both be true. 

So fellow tree people, I'm continuing my positivity journey, and I'm looking at what I've been building for a couple months, the dreadwood.

I was relying on getting first turn, and throwing Drycha into people's face. So if first turn isn't the easy thing to get, how do you play dreadwood? 

I need to know I've not built 20 spites for nothing ??

On 6/5/2018 at 6:07 AM, Kramer said:

Haha now we’re getting philosophical!! 1. Am I not my genes? 

2. And if I’m not is it still not my reality and therefore true? 

. Two opposite truths can still be both be true. 

I bet you're a Laurel. 

3 hours ago, Thebiggesthat said:

So fellow tree people, I'm continuing my positivity journey, and I'm looking at what I've been building for a couple months, the dreadwood.

I was relying on getting first turn, and throwing Drycha into people's face. So if first turn isn't the easy thing to get, how do you play dreadwood? 

I need to know I've not built 20 spites for nothing ??

Thats kind of the question: how will first turn work in 2.0? Previously, Dreadwood was almost guaranteed 1st turn (or choice) in competitive play, because almost nobody wanted to shell out for battalions. Then I took Dreadwood to Adepticon, only 1 player brought a battalion and it wasn't a full army battalion.

Now, we're not exactly sure how first turn mechanics work, so you'll need to have plan for something to do with the battalion other than alpha strike. 

If your opponent has a weak flank and you roll 2 stratagems, you could drop a load of hunters (i run 6 with scythes) on the weak edge and then use the stratagem that limits enemy shooting/spells/abilities to 12"; if you roll 3 stratagems, you can freely move Drycha up to up to support.  Now, your opponent will have to make a choice, either engage the hunters with the weak units on the flank, of eat a charge next turn. Hunters are fairly survivable, hopefully, shooting and magic will be out of range so he can't shoot them, and they will be able to reroll saves in the combat phase so charging them probably will end badly especially if the flank is weak (it goes double if you get all three and Drycha is able to support). 

You can also use your free redeploy to drop a unit of 30 dryads onto an objective. This is pretty effective if you manage to get your free wyldwood down on top of the objective. This tactic will be even more viable in 2.0, since you can spend a CP to make them immune to battleshock in your opponents phase. 

If you think you're about to eat an alpha strike, you can use the free move to put your spites a good 6" out in front of the bulk of your army. That way they eat the charge and leave the charging unit open to counter attack. If it's say a horde of bloodletters, you can position Drycha behind them (with squirmlings). Sure, spites die.  But whatever left behind will be erased as well, and spites are cheap. 

It is probbaly best you have alternate plans for first turn as well, in case your opponent doesn't give you a decent alpha strike target. At Adepticon most of my opponents didn't leave me a good opening to drop hunters/drycha into. Most of the time I just used the stratagems to get onto objectives, or to get that critical wyldwood into position. (Wytch with acorn gets the free redeploy, drops a forest on my opponents front lines with acorn, then teleports back to base through realmroots first turn). 

Truth be told, the value in Dreadwood isn't only its alpha strike potential: Dreadwood is probably our most flexible battalion. That flexibility means your enemy will have a hard time anticipating your moves which allows you to dictate how and where you will fight; Something that is critical to success when playing Sylvaneth. 

On 6/9/2018 at 3:14 AM, Mirage8112 said:

Thats kind of the question: how will first turn work in 2.0? Previously, Dreadwood was almost guaranteed 1st turn (or choice) in competitive play, because almost nobody wanted to shell out for battalions. Then I took Dreadwood to Adepticon, only 1 player brought a battalion and it wasn't a full army battalion.

Now, we're not exactly sure how first turn mechanics work, so you'll need to have plan for something to do with the battalion other than alpha strike. 

If your opponent has a weak flank and you roll 2 stratagems, you could drop a load of hunters (i run 6 with scythes) on the weak edge and then use the stratagem that limits enemy shooting/spells/abilities to 12"; if you roll 3 stratagems, you can freely move Drycha up to up to support.  Now, your opponent will have to make a choice, either engage the hunters with the weak units on the flank, of eat a charge next turn. Hunters are fairly survivable, hopefully, shooting and magic will be out of range so he can't shoot them, and they will be able to reroll saves in the combat phase so charging them probably will end badly especially if the flank is weak (it goes double if you get all three and Drycha is able to support). 

You can also use your free redeploy to drop a unit of 30 dryads onto an objective. This is pretty effective if you manage to get your free wyldwood down on top of the objective. This tactic will be even more viable in 2.0, since you can spend a CP to make them immune to battleshock in your opponents phase. 

If you think you're about to eat an alpha strike, you can use the free move to put your spites a good 6" out in front of the bulk of your army. That way they eat the charge and leave the charging unit open to counter attack. If it's say a horde of bloodletters, you can position Drycha behind them (with squirmlings). Sure, spites die.  But whatever left behind will be erased as well, and spites are cheap. 

It is probbaly best you have alternate plans for first turn as well, in case your opponent doesn't give you a decent alpha strike target. At Adepticon most of my opponents didn't leave me a good opening to drop hunters/drycha into. Most of the time I just used the stratagems to get onto objectives, or to get that critical wyldwood into position. (Wytch with acorn gets the free redeploy, drops a forest on my opponents front lines with acorn, then teleports back to base through realmroots first turn). 

Truth be told, the value in Dreadwood isn't only its alpha strike potential: Dreadwood is probably our most flexible battalion. That flexibility means your enemy will have a hard time anticipating your moves which allows you to dictate how and where you will fight; Something that is critical to success when playing Sylvaneth. 

i always wanted to see a battle report on this dreadwood style.

On 6/9/2018 at 3:14 AM, Mirage8112 said:

I actually loose a lot of games with sylvaneth because enemy takes objectives in first turn which then takes me too long to shift them from and end up being those poitns short in the end. Just using the movement stuff to get those objectives myself might give me the few critical points in a few scenarios and forces the enemy to come to me which might be nice if the units taking the objective are sufficiently bunkered down (however.. it would be better to do it with 4 units of dryads instead of a few spites :D).

Having said that: I have 0 spite so I might need to try this first with a few proxied dryads.

4 hours ago, Drillz said:

How many treelord models do I need to have? Currently I got 2 one will be the big D and the othe a TLA but do I need more ?

Probably ideal to magnetize them so you can swap between heads/weapons, but the TLA is/was the most popular variant of the 3. That could all change with the new point updates though, so I don't know what to recommend currently.

Hey people! 

Had a talk last night at my local store about possible new models in the upcoming edition. What are your thoughts? What are the chances of new Sylvaneth models coming out in the near future?

I personally would love to see some units manipulating the spirit-song like the 'Deadly Chorus' ability in the Lords of the Clan battalion. Not necessary for damage but for buff/debuff/utility. On the other hand a new named character could be awesome too like the Lady of Vines which could grant us access to additional command abilities that are much needed in the new edition. Cavalry is also nonexistent among our unit types. Although mobility is not really an issue for Sylvaneth I still find the lack of four(or more) legged models to be a real shame.

What kind of units would you like to see?

1 hour ago, romhi said:

Hey people! 

Had a talk last night at my local store about possible new models in the upcoming edition. What are your thoughts? What are the chances of new Sylvaneth models coming out in the near future?

I personally would love to see some units manipulating the spirit-song like the 'Deadly Chorus' ability in the Lords of the Clan battalion. Not necessary for damage but for buff/debuff/utility. On the other hand a new named character could be awesome too like the Lady of Vines which could grant us access to additional command abilities that are much needed in the new edition. Cavalry is also nonexistent among our unit types. Although mobility is not really an issue for Sylvaneth I still find the lack of four(or more) legged models to be a real shame.

What kind of units would you like to see?

I would love to see some Calvary for Sylvaneth, dryads or some type of forest spirit riding smaller (than allrielles) wardroth beetles have been an idea tossed around my group since allarielle was released and Id love to see that :)

1 hour ago, Azurious said:

I would love to see some Calvary for Sylvaneth, dryads or some type of forest spirit riding smaller (than allrielles) wardroth beetles have been an idea tossed around my group since allarielle was released and Id love to see that :)

I don't know if I'd go for cavalry, but I'd like to see Treekin make a comeback, even if it's a different small unit with 2-3 wounds per model. I'd like a unit that would fit between our one-wound infantry and hero-unit hunters. Maybe a more combat-oriented non-caster hero?

16 minutes ago, Kaylethia said:

I'd like a unit that would fit between our one-wound infantry and hero-unit hunters.

Yeah, the spot between the basic and elite infantry is a prime candidate to be filled with something interesting.

So changes I can see so far in GHB 2018

Wargroves got massive points costs reductions. 

-120pts for dreadwood for example. 

Points costs on Spirit of durthu, spite revenants and kurnoth hunters dropped by small amounts. 

I think outcasts battalion didn't change cost.

Free summoning units.

Most Battalions went up in points (new command abilities etc)around +30, which is better then other armies.

Gnarlroot wargrove went down less, around -50pts, Household battalion went up +30pts. 

Yeah Dreadwood looks super interesting now. 

throwing Alarielle forward and pooping out a treeman will be super fun! 

I doubt I'll run her initially, as Lore-wise she's not a fan of the emo killy trees, but looking forward to running dreadwood for a bit. Oakenbrow as well has potential if you are running big units of Dryads

12 hours ago, Ratatatata said:

Really doubt Sylvaneth will get anything new at all. Ever

I'm not optimistic.. but in the description of the realms Alarielle features pretty heavily and I'm sure they where a good sell in their days. GW should know a new unit would probably sell.

I haven't been focusing on Sylvaneth recently but figured I'd pop in with the new rules goodies opening up possibilities. 

I haven't seen the actual points changes (if any of you want to point me to the specifics I'd love to see them), so my perceptions so far are somewhat tentative. 

Alarielle is clearly a huge winner here. Her melee profile is actually respectably efficient if you consider her to be a 360 point model (discounting 240 points for the "free" treelord). Her spellcasting and unbinding is now even better with the possibility of new spells from Malign Sorcery, and her command ability is actually potentially useful. 

Branchwraiths also look quite nice, with their signature spell now providing a lot of value and Look Out Sir making them even harder to snipe.

I'm not sold on Oakenbrow Wargrove. Lords of the Clan is a difficult prerequisite -- you're already looking at 1080 points without the cost of the battalion. Currently the battalion costs would bring it up to 1370. Even if that dropped 70 points you're still looking at 1300 points spent without any battleline. Now you need a big unit of dryads or revenants to get the most out of the Mighty Hosts ability, and you'll have fairly little wiggle room. It's also got a mandatory 4 behemoths already, so you are precluded from taking Alarielle or Drycha. 

Heartbrow Wargrove also gets access to potential free summoning, and it's underlying battalion (Free Spirits) is more attractive. It's still going to be very expensive though, so I'm not sure if it's worthwhile. 

Archived