Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Im potentially looking at doing some Spite-Revenants as part of a mixed Order army / collection. I already have 5 primed and ready for paint and also an unopened Revenants kit.

My question is, do you think it’s worth getting another 5 Spite-Revenants for the Outcast formation, or just paint the 10 I have and use them by themselves?

@Tizianolol I think not, unless your local meta doesn't run with Tzeentch, Khorne or Dispossessed. All of those have a good counter to magic, and the requirements to take Gnarlroot (along with the 250 points for it) make it a weaker option. The current battleplans favor taking bigger units than you can comfortably take, unless you skip something else, and we don't have a lot of offensive pressure with just three casters (TLA, Branchwych and the order wizard).

20 hours ago, Aezeal said:

So it seems you had trouble with Khorne 2x? I find myself not really able to beat them in most games too... it Sylvaneth just bad against Khorne or is Khorne just generally a better tier army than Sylvaneth?

Well, it depends what you're going for. 

My first game with khorne was in the team doubles match. It wasn't me so much who had trouble with Khorne as it was my partner who had trouble with Khorne and his Sylvaneth teammate (the doubles teams were not required to stay within the same Grand Alliance). We lost the roll off and he ate a first turn charge and a bunch of shooting because his deployment was too far forward. He lost nearly his entire army by the bottom of turn 2 which left me pretty much holding down the flank. I did what I could to help him, but it became pretty apparent that he was done, both on the table and in general with the event. Wanderers are still basically a compendium army, and while they have access to some relics/command/battle traits, they just do not have the staying power to compete in the current meta.

In my game vs. Ryan, it really came down to me losing a few key rolls. I dropped my forest aggressively, but lost the roll off. I actually really wanted the side my opponent chose, and he really had no incentive to stay on his original side. After he switching, he was able to hide his banner behind a Huge LOS blocking tower, which pretty much meant there was no way to get to him without going through a horde of bloodletters and a smaller unit of skull reapers. Had I deployed my forest defensively (which is what I should have done) I would have kept my position even if I lost the roll off.

There a couple of other rolls that went badly for me.  I rolled pretty low when I managed to get a spell off and he easily dispelled most of what I threw out. What did make it through failed on the mandatory reroll from his hidden banner. I missed (nearly) every stomp.  I think the biggest thing that hurt me was my Hunter champion needing 2's to hit on his Bloodthirster and failing all three rolls. Had that one roll been different, I would have likely killed his bloodthirster off a turn earlier (he ended up surviving into turn 4 with a single wound), which meant he wouldn't have been able to kill my general or the remaining hunters with his general. In the end, he beat me handily on victory points, something like 580 to 1160. When you figure that 740 of that was from the hunters and TLA it was actually a very close match. Even closer, when you consider that the only reason i scored a minor loss was the last roll of the game which needed a 1-2. My dice were throwing 1's all game, it's only fitting a clutch roll of 1 saved me. 

Even that being said, you can't expect every list you come across in a tournament is going to be easy to handle. Blades of Khorne is a tough match-up only because it throws out so much damage in the first 2-3 turns. The trick is simply surviving until you can whittle the units down, but it's a fine line to walk, since you're playing to win on VP rather than scenario conditions. Every unit of chaff you burn to mitigate the charge goes against you in the final tally, so you've got to feed them something and then counter punch hard. |

All in all, it was a very close game, my opponent played exactly as he should and given my dice rolls, I felt very lucky to walk away with only a minor loss. 

20 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Dats very sad.. I loved the Gnarloot gameplay:(

I did see a gnarlroot player about where I was on the final game of adepticon. He lost his last game as well, (ironically to a Khorne player; though mostly juggernauts). I'm not sure how close it was, but he was at first row tables so he must have done alright up to that point. 

1 hour ago, Mirage8112 said:

Well, it depends what you're going for. 
long

I find the combination of bloodletters with all sorts of buffs, very cheap basic guys who also get buffed and have 3 attacks each and bloodthirsters very annoying. It's very easy to hide the totem guy in cover which means a 2+ save even IF you get line of sight (mostly I don't even get that) and his priests have either a strong buff or a VERY high damage prayer and his command abiliy usually is very good too.... ow.. and THEN the annoying extra moves he gets from bloodthithe points.

11 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

@Mirage8112 ty! Do you remember the list?:)

i only briefly saw the models on the table after the end of the game and chatting with the player for 1-2 minutes. From what I can recall, it was your standard Gnarlroot + Durthu

I don't mind reposting:

Allegiance: Order
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Warsinger  
- Artefact: Moonstone of the Hidden Ways  
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages  
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (440)
- Scythes
Dreadwood Wargrove (200)
Outcasts (90)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

I changed the items on the TLA last minute from the Briarsheath/gift of ghyran combo that I usually run with to the warsinger/moonstone combo, specifically because I thought it would give me a wee bit more flexibility vs changehost and fyreslayers. If I had to do it again, I probbaly would have gone with my original combo of briarsheath and gift. There were several times where I would have preferred the -1 to hit, and moonstone was only situationaly helpful. 

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice. I have a 1000 point tourney coming up in a few weeks, and while usually I am the nice guy finishing last, I actually want to make a red hot go of it this time and try to finish in the top half of the bracket. 

This is the list I took last time, and I actually thought it was pretty decent but I didn't get anywhere near the results I was looking for.

Leaders
Branchwych (80)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
Spirit of Durthu (400)
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 

Battleline
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows

What changes can I look at making to be a bit more competitive? My opponents will vary quite a bit, so I cant really focus on one type of opponent. I have pretty much everything available if needed; another Treelord/Treelord ancient, more dryads, another unit of tree revs, Drycha,  some Stormcast that can be allied etc.

If no changes are required, what kind of tactics should I be looking at?

3 hours ago, mclargehuge said:

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice. I have a 1000 point tourney coming up in a few weeks, and while usually I am the nice guy finishing last, I actually want to make a red hot go of it this time and try to finish in the top half of the bracket. 

Note, you have too many artefacts in that list (you only get 1 without any battalions). I haven't tried this at 1k yet, but it seems pretty well-balanced:

Leaders
Branchwych (80) 
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
- Greatbows

1 x Gryph Hound (40)

Gryph is just there to make something out of the awkward 50 points left - it's possible there's something more useful that could be slotted there. 

1 hour ago, Freejack02 said:

Note, you have too many artefacts in that list (you only get 1 without any battalions). I haven't tried this at 1k yet, but it seems pretty well-balanced:

Leaders
Branchwych (80) 
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
- Greatbows

1 x Gryph Hound (40)

Gryph is just there to make something out of the awkward 50 points left - it's possible there's something more useful that could be slotted there. 

Thats right, I realised afterwards because I was struggling to remember what I took. My Branchwych didnt have an artifact on the day. I edited it out. 

This is achievable in the time to get tournament ready. How would I use this list effectively over my current one?  30 Dryads is a huge unit, I have usually worked to keep above 12 and then try to stick around wyldwoods to keep them protected. 

Hi all. I am thinking of getting Alarielle to my collection. I usually play stormcast as is my 2k army (with warmage and mistweaver saih). Apart from that I have start collecting Sylvaneth pack and Kharadron battleforce, so as 2k army of fantasy wood elves with forestal dragon and Orion (now avatar of the hunt).

So, I think i'm going to make some idoneth new army, almost to 1k points or similar and was thinking on how complete it. As I thought they would get a huge model I was waiting but it seem they will not so I ask if taking Alarielle + Treelord Ancient (to use the healing ability as it goes only for sylvaneth) will make a good thing. I have read Alarielle stats and she looks a beast but maybe is not worth that 600 points on a combined army... and the price is a bit to think about it

So... Alarielle yes or not?

4 hours ago, Hoseman said:

So... Alarielle yes or not?

I feel she can work well in large Sylvaneth games, but I do not feel she is worthwhile in mixed order lists (though I have never seen her in one). Coupled with a Loremaster, however, she can be a pretty serious wrecking crew.

Pros:

- Good combat/defensive stats

- Cast/Unbind 3 spells

- Wonderful self-healing

- Great 16" fly movement

Cons:

- Very expensive at 600 points

- No mortal wound protection

- No bonus to cast/unbind

- Can only heal Sylvaneth (Amphorae)

- No access to Regrowth (in GA Order) hurts

She relies on healing to stay up, so double turns can be dangerous. Her command ability is very poor outside of Sylvaneth (and I feel pretty poor within it). 3 spells is nice, but she's very expensive and no bonus to cast feels laughably bad for a goddess (pink horrors can cast better?!?). I feel like there are better deals outside of the Sylvaneth allegiance. I would rather take 2 Frostheart Phoenix and save the extra points. 

Thanks for the answer. Maybe I see a lot of possibilities on Alarielle but its true that for mixed armys is a lot of points... 

I thought with a Treelord together healing could be a good combination but maybe I study more options. I would like to use more sylvaneth models on my army but dont like tree revenants and driads so no battleline options. 

That phoenix looks nice but I kinda like something with ranged weapons, said that the 4+ to save wounds and mortal wounds is awesome

On 3/27/2018 at 7:36 PM, Mirage8112 said:

I am also considering taking a second look at Winterleaf, since the two matches I lost were to armies with fast-moving hordes in groups of 30-40. 4 units of 30 dryads would be terribly hard to shift off objectives, and the free set-up once per game means they'd be super easy to plunk down on the objectives and then basically dare your opponent to do anything about it. 

I haven't played my buddy since Maggotkin came out and we certainly aren't tournament players any more (dad's now) but I used to love 10-man Winterleaf Dryads, particularly as in the woods and usually getting the stomp made my opponent -1.  

We usually played scenarios but man,. I still think Winterleaf is a top notch battalion.  re-rolling those 1s and Dryads getting bonus attacks on 5s is pretty sweet.

On 4-4-2018 at 10:25 PM, Freejack02 said:

I feel she can work well in large Sylvaneth games, but I do not feel she is worthwhile in mixed order lists (though I have never seen her in one). Coupled with a Loremaster, however, she can be a pretty serious wrecking crew.

Pros:

- Good combat/defensive stats

- Cast/Unbind 3 spells

- Wonderful self-healing

- Great 16" fly movement

Cons:

- Very expensive at 600 points

- No mortal wound protection

- No bonus to cast/unbind

- Can only heal Sylvaneth (Amphorae)

- No access to Regrowth (in GA Order) hurts

She relies on healing to stay up, so double turns can be dangerous. Her command ability is very poor outside of Sylvaneth (and I feel pretty poor within it). 3 spells is nice, but she's very expensive and no bonus to cast feels laughably bad for a goddess (pink horrors can cast better?!?). I feel like there are better deals outside of the Sylvaneth allegiance. I would rather take 2 Frostheart Phoenix and save the extra points. 

I agree. Allarielle is not a top choice in Sylvaneth armies but in those armies you can try to maximize synergies she has and make her worth her points... in a GA order army... she'd be even less effective than in a sylvaneth army that is not trying to max her synergies and certainly not worth her points.

Spoiler

Forest Spirits: Instead of setting up a SYLVANETH unit or battalion, you can place it to one side and say it is set up as part of your army in one of the hidden enclaves. In any of your movement phases, you can transport the unit (or battalion) to the battlefield. When you do so, set it up so that all models are within 3" of a Sylvaneth Wyldwood and more than 9" from any enemy models. This is their move for that movement phase.

Rules question: if i take order wizard in gnarlroot, can I put him in hidden enclaves?

Additionally, on Deepwood Spell Lore page we have "Each WIZARD in a SYLVANETH army knows an additional spell chosen from the Deepwood spell lore" - can i take additional spell for my gnarlroot mage?

What do you think? :D New possibilities appears!

10 minutes ago, MayItBe said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Forest Spirits: Instead of setting up a SYLVANETH unit or battalion, you can place it to one side and say it is set up as part of your army in one of the hidden enclaves. In any of your movement phases, you can transport the unit (or battalion) to the battlefield. When you do so, set it up so that all models are within 3" of a Sylvaneth Wyldwood and more than 9" from any enemy models. This is their move for that movement phase.

Rules question: if i take order wizard in gnarlroot, can I put him in hidden enclaves?

Additionally, on Deepwood Spell Lore page we have "Each WIZARD in a SYLVANETH army knows an additional spell chosen from the Deepwood spell lore" - can i take additional spell for my gnarlroot mage?

What do you think? :D New possibilities appears!

1. I believe the answer is yes, but my reading would mean the entire battalion has to be setup there, as the rule specifies "Instead of setting up a SYLVANETH unit or battalion, you can place it to one side...". The included order wizard would not qualify as a singular unit, but would qualify as part of the whole. Probably can be read different ways though.

2. Also believe the answer is yes, as the included order unit is both a wizard and part of a Sylvaneth allegiance army. I am curious if this has already been confirmed/clarified by anyone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So I battered my friend's death army in a 1k game last night with a sylvaneth list but still have a couple of rules/comp questions:

firstly my comp:

TLA

•  gnarled warrior
  •  dweller's below
  • acorn

Drycha

• the reaping

2x10 Dryads

3x Bow kurnoths

1000/1000

fristly, any changes that I should make to the list? Kurnoths I'm looking at in particular as their bows never seem to fulfil their potential on rolls and in melee combat they can be tanky but don't put out much dmg. I'd consider taking scythes or swords if it wasn't for my second issue: Dryads.

with only 2 units of 10 on the field they go fast. I think once they recieved hits, each unit was wiped out in one sweep (vs. 10 graveguard then 2 morghast archai) even while in cover. However, the former did provide a block to drycha who was then able to retaliate and wipe out the unit of graveguard. so in a 1K game, should I play dryads as walls to my larger units who can retaliate over them or I should I consider increasing the units size for better save rolls and throwing a mystic shield on them?

Lastly, I wanted to check on some rules:

1) does cover apply to single model units? e.g. If I have drycha fully in a terrain piece does she get +1 to save?

2) do wyldwoods provide cover?

3) to apply for cover does the base of all models need to be fully in the terrain or is having some models with their base half and half and the rest fully in the feature provide cover?

4) when I set up 3 woods to make one wyldwood, does the space in between the citadel wood bases count as wyld wood or not? my friend is scared out of all reason of the chance to die on a charge and will spend 15 minutes being as finicky as possible with 40 skeletons.

I ask the first 2 questions because I had drycha sitting in a wood with TLA nearby. using head the spirit song command ability from TLA gave drycha save re-rolls of one and because of cover that gives her a natural 2+ save? Because if that's a legal combo it feels OPAF, 3 rounds against 20-30 skeletons attacking 3-4 times each and she didn't take a single wound!

Archived