Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

7 hours ago, cooleyo said:

Can branchwych cast 2 spells per hero phase? Can I get a page reference for that please?

Thanks to Gnarlroot wargrove any branchwych and Treelord ancient you put in list can cast 2 spells per turn instead of one. That means that if you have one branchwych and one TLA (mandatory for the battalion) you have 4 spell, but if you add another branchwych you will have 6 spells per turn, and that's really good

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I need a check on our teleport abilities:

Forest spirits: says all models need to be within 3"

Navigate Realmroots: just says within 3"

Ofc: USUALLY you'd want to deploy in the cover of the forest.. but apparantly with Navigate you can just string a 20-40 dryads unit across the table?  If so.. are there any great stories about (ab)using this? Seems like it would give terrible movement and would make 10 dryad units pretty great at blocking movement in large parts of the table with just a centrally placed first forest (and a forest to teleport from ofc).

44 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Hey I need a check on our teleport abilities:

Forest spirits: says all models need to be within 3"

Navigate Realmroots: just says within 3"

Ofc: USUALLY you'd want to deploy in the cover of the forest.. but apparantly with Navigate you can just string a 20-40 dryads unit across the table?  If so.. are there any great stories about (ab)using this? Seems like it would give terrible movement and would make 10 dryad units pretty great at blocking movement in large parts of the table with just a centrally placed first forest (and a forest to teleport from ofc).

I always used them as writed, precisely as you said.

4 hours ago, Cerve said:

I always used them as writed, precisely as you said.

Yeah I've not used it yet to avoid complaints... but I'm currently winning less and opponents never seem to think their stuff is ridiculous or OP.... so if it happens I'll be ready to use it. The FAQ has 2 pretty clear rulings about "within" that help. (I also get complaints about placing a multibase wyld wood "within" x" of the caster.... where I CAN ofc place it with the tip at 15" and extending 2 full lengths further away... and the rules seem pretty clear to me.. but still whining about it)

Guys i need your help. I'm used to listing 2000 points army, but now i need 1000 points for a tournament in couple with a friend. He will bring tzeentch and i have to decide between pestilens or sylvaneth. As now i'm going for sylvaneth (my first army) and that's the list i'm considering

Treelord Ancient - general, briarsheath, gnarled warrior

Branchwych

30xDryads

10xDryads

Treelord

What do you think? I'm considering about giving up the treelord and put a unit of kurnoth hunter instead (bow or schyte, do not know yet).

Give me your help, what would you change (and why) in your experience in 1000 points? Remember that i will play with a DoT army

21 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Yeah I've not used it yet to avoid complaints... but I'm currently winning less and opponents never seem to think their stuff is ridiculous or OP.... so if it happens I'll be ready to use it. The FAQ has 2 pretty clear rulings about "within" that help. (I also get complaints about placing a multibase wyld wood "within" x" of the caster.... where I CAN ofc place it with the tip at 15" and extending 2 full lengths further away... and the rules seem pretty clear to me.. but still whining about it)

If I remember  well, FaQs explain the difference between "within" and "wolly within".

If there's no "wolly" word, you can put the Wyldwood as you writed!

One point I wanted to flag relates to the new FAQ combined with the old FAQ (page 3 of the Rules FAQ - right column). The new answer in magenta provides that you can climb any kind of terrain. The old FAQ (someway above) provides that a flying unit can ignore vertical distances at all times. Together these rules mean that any flying unit can land on top of a Wyldwood tree, rather than being blocked by them. This has particular relevance to Alarielle, but also Maw Krushas.

Whether you can tilt the base down to say that the model is coming down off the tree to attack a unit is an open question (logically this should work - it's a flying beetle)  - this is similar to a model attacking down a hill or ladder (where you don't want it to topple over)! Treelords and Stonehorns (no fly - must cry) still need to be wary of being blocked by the tree stumps.

10 hours ago, Nico said:

One point I wanted to flag relates to the new FAQ combined with the old FAQ (page 3 of the Rules FAQ - right column). The new answer in magenta provides that you can climb any kind of terrain. The old FAQ (someway above) provides that a flying unit can ignore vertical distances at all times. Together these rules mean that any flying unit can land on top of a Wyldwood tree, rather than being blocked by them. This has particular relevance to Alarielle, but also Maw Krushas.

Whether you can tilt the base down to say that the model is coming down off the tree to attack a unit is an open question (logically this should work - it's a flying beetle)  - this is similar to a model attacking down a hill or ladder (where you don't want it to topple over)! Treelords and Stonehorns (no fly - must cry) still need to be wary of being blocked by the tree stumps.

You can, but you need to physically put your beetle on the trees.

Good luck :)

8 hours ago, Cerve said:

You can, but you need to physically put your beetle on the trees.

Good luck :)

I'm not sure the rules say anything about that, you could say.. he moves here and then asume he's there.. I mean that is how we do it with steep slopes and top heavy models too. 

10 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I'm not sure the rules say anything about that, you could say.. he moves here and then asume he's there.. I mean that is how we do it with steep slopes and top heavy models too. 

Mmm but no rule is arguing this, actually. There's only a faq that says that you can physically put your models on the trees if they can stand. 

So if you can't you will not be able to. Exactely as a big behemoth cannot stay inside a Wyldwood, just because i physically doesn't fit.

So going to play skaven tomorrow likely 2k game (but it's for firestorm so I might be unlucky and get less (doubt it'll be below 1800 though. My opponent plays pestilence with I think 2 x 20 plague monks (seem cheap for all the options they have) 2 of the plague machines that buff and 2 warplightning cannons at least.

My options are Atm (I actually done have much more than this except another durthu which could be a treelord and another Wych.) I'm still hesitant about all those points in the batallion and leaving an artefact unused there, however the extra spells and an acorn on the wych are nice.. but do I want to trade it for 3 hunters?

2k3xhunter2xwaywatchersher.pdf

2kdrychaloremaster.pdf

4 hours ago, GingerGiant said:

I’m curious: how good are Spire Revenants? Which battalions are the most effecfive?

They strike me as a glass cannon unit, your opponent’s Bravery providing.

edit: Even though they have a role, they seem very expensive for what you get for their durability

Indeed their problem is durability. At least tree revenant have teleport, they do not have a reap good rule, but 4 unit of them are needed to make the dreadwood wargrove battalion, one of the stronger as now, so they are used for that

On 11/14/2017 at 2:13 AM, Axter said:

Indeed their problem is durability. At least tree revenant have teleport, they do not have a reap good rule, but 4 unit of them are needed to make the dreadwood wargrove battalion, one of the stronger as now, so they are used for that

Looking at the math, I think they really need an additional wound. A slight point increase (80  -> 100) would cover the cost of the extra wound without encroaching on the Dryads' durability too closely (from a points-per-effective-wound perspective). I think depending on how useful their Bravery Debuffs are, you could give them an ability that gives them extra attacks when their hit rolls meet or exceed a target's Bravery, to give them some extra punch. This ability mostly punishes low Bravery, light units, whereas their other abilities are better against High Bravery, elite units. I look at it that -1 Bravery does not do much against a horde of Giant Rats. You do more to hurt them in Battleshock from killing them than approximately the 2 models that flee via Spite Revenant abilities. But, if two more models flee from a unit of Paladins, that's a huge difference. What's your experience with Bravery modifiers?

Hey guys, just a question about drycha: how do u choose which abilities she'll use ? Rolling for her mercurial aspect and decide what's better? enraged <->flitterfuries as the same way embittered <->squirmlings ? You declare what she'll use for the entire game and/or tournament? If so can you change ability in the same game ?  One guy I know say that's a ranged weapon so you declare what she has and she will keep till the game or tournament end. Thoughts on this ?

6 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

You choose her loadout before the game - no switching mid-match. Tournament, it would likely depend on the specific list-requirements of the tourney. 

All right so if the tournament says nothing I can swap between games ?

You might be able to run to run an argument that Drycha is a special case in that she was intended to have the choice for each game. Presumably both sets of creatures inhabit her, but only one is activated. You could rely on the fact that Warscroll Builder doesn’t have weapon options for her either (unlike say Ardboyz or Hunters).

I think she’s slightly overcosted if she cannot choose. Part of this is the fact that she cannot take an artefact and Sylvaneth often have 3 of those to distribute and they are the best Artefacts in the game tied with SCE.

10 minutes ago, Nico said:

You might be able to run to run an argument that Drycha is a special case in that she was intended to have the choice for each game. Presumably both sets of creatures inhabit her, but only one is activated. You could rely on the fact that Warscroll Builder doesn’t have weapon options for her either (unlike say Ardboyz or Hunters).

I think she’s slightly overcosted if she cannot choose. Part of this is the fact that she cannot take an artefact and Sylvaneth often have 3 of those to distribute and they are the best Artefacts in the game tied with SCE.

Against hordes she is very strong. Even against units of 10-20 1 wound Elie infantry she's strong. The fact she can cast her own mystic shield and healing or an arcane bolt to finish something off, her shooting and her very decent (or even strong when enraged) combat abilities together with her speed and her 10 wounds with 3+ Base save make her a valuable addition against every opponent so far. Only when facing mostly 2 wound models (stormcast) I'd consider leaving her at home. Squirmlings on a unit of 40 goblins is nice... But doing it against 20 executioners is even better.

Love Drycha, and also just listened to the Mortally Wounded podcast Sylvaneth ep where the dude mentions using a Branchwych with Silverwood Circlet, The Reaping and a Balewind to similar effect! Anyone done this, and if so is it worth taking both Drycha and the Branchwych or one or the other?

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Against hordes she is very strong. Even against units of 10-20 1 wound Elie infantry she's strong. The fact she can cast her own mystic shield and healing or an arcane bolt to finish something off, her shooting and her very decent (or even strong when enraged) combat abilities together with her speed and her 10 wounds with 3+ Base save make her a valuable addition against every opponent so far. Only when facing mostly 2 wound models (stormcast) I'd consider leaving her at home. Squirmlings on a unit of 40 goblins is nice... But doing it against 20 executioners is even better.

With the new ruling that Flitterfuries only target enemy models now, I think Drycha can do just fine against more elite armies. Obviously it works better against MSU style armies and to be fair they aren't the "in vogue" meta right now. But combined with the likes of Awakening the Woods, Treesong and Roused by Magic, you can really nickle and dime elite units down quite effectively. 

7 hours ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

With the new ruling that Flitterfuries only target enemy models now, I think Drycha can do just fine against more elite armies. Obviously it works better against MSU style armies and to be fair they aren't the "in vogue" meta right now. But combined with the likes of Awakening the Woods, Treesong and Roused by Magic, you can really nickle and dime elite units down quite effectively. 

True, I've just not used it yet. I really like the mass damage squirmlings do which triggers battleshock and just removes lots of wounds in a single unit all at once.

I dont  understand Nico finds her underpowered .. if they'd increase her points I'd still take her. After TLA she's my first auto pick against most opponents.

16 hours ago, Aezeal said:

True, I've just not used it yet. I really like the mass damage squirmlings do which triggers battleshock and just removes lots of wounds in a single unit all at once.

I dont  understand Nico finds her underpowered .. if they'd increase her points I'd still take her. After TLA she's my first auto pick against most opponents.

Really? I play often at 2000 points and i didn't like her that much, her attack are weak if you look at the treelord or kurnoth attacks. Ability are not that much and her spell is just... Meh... Just the flitterfuries are pretty good, but i'm not sure they are worth 280 points tho

Archived