AoS 2 - Ironweld Arsenal Discussion

Double Misfire

So I had my game versus the evil elves! I managed to grab myself a win in turns 4 and 5 by sneaking onto the objective! We both made some fairly big mistakes but that happens sometimes. The open war twist of splitting your army into 3 contingents and bringing one on each turn actually hurt me a bit but also made it a tad harder for him. My badly built list did do quite well and hopefully I should have a batrep up soon!

My volley gun managed to jam 3 turns in a row on 2 dice each time... so it never got a chance to fire. I only took it because I forgot my lord ordinator model :( 

Steam tank was... interesting. Bit hit and miss but actually did a fair chunk of damage and more steam! is a wonderful ability, especially when he only took 2 wounds before the final turn so couldn't fail ;) The rocket battery was a nice threat too but I definitely didn't have enough bodies on the board. Endless spells are also insane, risky and slightly terrifying (****** the geminids...) and actually put me in a position where I had to choose between risking wounds and debuffs from them or having my lines charged and my enemy being where I didn't want them.

The freeguild griffon was once again worth his weight in gold, I really like him in my ironweld lists to give me that mobile cqb threat.

I definitely reckon cannons with a gunmaster or rocket batteries (potentially with a lord ordinator for 3 attacks hitting on 3's) is the way to go for me, volley gun definitely doesn't work without an engineer and is probably only really worth bringing out vs hordes. Steamtank is interesting but will likely really need hit buffs from things like the lord ordinator as he's a bit unreliable. I'll have to check out more endless spells to to see what ones might work well.

• Like 2

Hi! 

Can someone explain how Cannons work in the new edition? Are they still as squishy as before as you can just target the crew then the cannon is useless? 

Im think of using: 

Cogsmith 

Organ

Cannon 

Or is There a more effective way? They will be allied with dispossessed.  

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Hi! 

Can someone explain how Cannons work in the new edition? Are they still as squishy as before as you can just target the crew then the cannon is useless? 

Im think of using: 

Cogsmith 

Organ

Cannon 

Or is There a more effective way? They will be allied with dispossessed.  

As someone who had his crew targeted by nasty gemenids yes the crew can still be targeted separately... here's hoping they combine them sometime like they did for the stormcast ballista!

Also the gunmaster might be a better engineer as he's cheaper and has a 30" range gun which is nice for potshots. Organ guns and cannons are good choices though and if you'd prefer the cogsmith because he's dwarven then that will be fine. Although the crew can be targeted they can generally outrange most opponents and as long as you've got your dispossessed distracting your foe and getting themselves targeted your guns should have plenty of change to blow things up. Just remember to stick them on hills so you can't have opponents complain about line of sight!

• Like 1

So...  elephant in the room...  1 ally per 4 units.  That hurts, doesn't it?  Unless you're doing Mixed Order, it's going to be hard getting a lot of cannons and engineers in to a normal list. 

I haven't been able to spend enough time with the ruleset yet to have this on recall... does it say how to round ?  Like, is it 1-4 units -> 1 ally, 5-8 units -> 2 allies, or is it 0-3 units -> no allies, 4-7 units -> 1 ally, 8-11 units -> 2 allies?

• Like 1

OK but that just shifts the question, not answers it.  Whether it's 1:4 or 1:3 haha

5 units.  How many allies?  1 or 2?  What's the rounding?  Is it worded as "no more than" or something?  Like I said, I haven't got the rules into brain-recall yet...  :)

Edited by amysrevenge

8 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

OK but that just shifts the question, not answers it.  Whether it's 1:4 or 1:3 haha

5 units.  How many allies?  1 or 2?  What's the rounding?  Is it worded as "no more than" or something?  Like I said, I haven't got the rules into brain-recall yet...  :)

Pg  242, core book. "One out of every four units included in an army can be an allied unit."

Reworded, for every 3 normal units you take, the 4th can be an ally. The wording is clear that you need whole multiples of 4 to qualify.  0-3 total units = none can be allies, 4-7 units = 1 can be an ally, 8-11 units = 2 allies etc. 

Theoretically, this is less restrictive than the added points limit in matched play; up to 25% of your units can be allies, but only up to 20% of your points. For high cost, low unit count armies, like ironweld, it's more of an issue.

Edited by Arkhanist
  • Like 2

So since I have a couple of the models I'm considering that for the tale of warlords campaign with my freefolk / ironweld of adding in some bretonnians to give me the fast moving tally ho charge!

I am also considering buying outriders and making that unit into either outriders or pistolliers and then a bret horse unit into the other because I'm slightly insane and like the idea of fancy knights in plate armour and horses riding around with guns... because it's the realm of metal and as Gunther the mad always says the best cavalry charge is one where BANG BANG GUNSHOTS YEAH!... to be honest he says that about every type of fighting unit, no wonder he's an engineer!

Anyway having the fast objective grabbers would be nice especially if some of them are also able to pack a right wallop! Just a shame Pegasus knights lost their pile in twice ability... they're now just like demigryph knights... but more expensive... and faster... and probably better when charging... But anyway my previous times playing ironweld have found them defensive but poor mobility unless I want to risk my guns so I'm hoping cavalry will prove useful for all my charging around.

What about everyone else? I wanna see what tactics and cool stories people are coming up with! And whether folks are finding more useful combinations?

Anyway I'm thinking this possible list for month 2 (month 2 will be expanding our start collecting forces up to 700 points or so, one of the new units being battleline)

Battlemage - 120 (red or amber, depends which conversion I do)
Guard - 80 (halberds)
Steam tank - 260
Knights of the realm - 220 (NEW UNIT)

Or

Guard - 80 (halberds)
Steam tank - 260
Pistoliers - 130
Either freeguild guard or freeguild handgunners - 80 or 100 respectively

Or even!

Guard - 80 (halberds)
Steam tank - 260
Guard - 80 (sword and shields)
Breonnian lord (on Pegasus) - 140

Also just noticed that bretonnian men at arms are 16 models for 120 points, not bad for a big unit of boys to screen your guns provided you have a nearby hero for inspiring presence because they probably will die if they get charged ;) But still, cheap militia! Though only good if you either have the models for them or other good appropriate ones (not a bad idea though! As even if they go the way of the dodo they'll still make good freeguild! Though most friendly opponents will likely be fine with you using the current points and warscrolls for brets even after they get new legacy warscrolls with no points.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Running Bretonnians alongside artillery is kind of like running allied wizards in  Khorne army, technically legal but just weird @Lightbox. ;) 

Whilst my knowledge of the old world is basically nonexistant... medieval knights + cannons is cool okay!!

Also since bretonnia doesn't exist in mortal realms lore wise they'd just be a kind of free peoples cavalry... also I wanna use my bretonnians :( I have models and nothing to use them for save turning them into blood knights for death but I don't really need more blood knights. #BringBackHumanKnights 2k18

Though I am tempted to run brets as a second warlords force depending on how quickly I can get my ironweld and freeguild stuff painted.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nevar said:

So I have heard tell of an Ironweld Artillery warscroll battalion.  Where is this, and can it be used in Grey Water Fastness?

Its actually available on the app!  (currently anway, not sure if its a mistake and its supposed to be locked).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Not to necro an old thread, but I think this is the place to do it:

I'm still interested in playing Ironweld Arsenal (and have been for an age) but the lack of a Battleline really hurts, as does the Battalion not working for matched play (since it requires more artillery than a typical army has artillery slots, if I am not mistaken).

So it's really just Mixed Order, right?

On 8/1/2018 at 4:54 PM, Unit1126PLL said:

Hey guys! Not to necro an old thread, but I think this is the place to do it:

I'm still interested in playing Ironweld Arsenal (and have been for an age) but the lack of a Battleline really hurts, as does the Battalion not working for matched play (since it requires more artillery than a typical army has artillery slots, if I am not mistaken).

So it's really just Mixed Order, right?

Oh yeah, it's completely mixed Order (or Free City allegiance if you've got access to a copy of Season of War: FIrestorm). Check out the guides in my Ironweld thread for the previous edition, I'm currently working on updating them for AoS 2.0, but most of what's in there should still be applicable. :) 

The Artillery Detachment battalion is totally match play legit, it just doesn't show up on the list building screen in the AoS app for some reason.

Ironweld Arsenal news!

(sort of)

The Black Library have just solicited an audiobook followup to @JReynolds' excellent Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows (if you haven't read it already go check it out, it's great):

I7bl2he.jpg?1

Eight Lamentations: War Claw

A Warhammer Age of Sigmar audio drama

Gunmaster Owain Volkner and his companion Zana Mathos seek an ancient weapon – but so do their enemies, and in an isolated mountaintop outpost, battle is joined…

LISTEN TO IT BECAUSE
Josh Reynolds' saga of the quest to gather the eight great artefacts of Chaos continues in a snow-swept mountaintop tale.

THE STORY
In the wilds of Aqshy, Owain Volker, Gunmaster of the Ironweld, and Zana Mathos, sellsword and adventurer, seek one of the fabled Eight Lamentations on behalf of the duardin smith-god, Grungni. But they are not the only ones searching for the legendary artefact, and the duo soon find themselves trapped in an isolated mountain outpost, caught between a herd of savage beastmen and a pack of monstrous foes.

Written by Josh Reynolds

https://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/november/eight-lamentations-war-claw-mp3.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cannons!

I like doing cross-posts here to bump the Ironweld thread! These are some unconverted cannons that I painted up. Spent a month doing 100 points of longbeards so its nice to knock out 320 points of cannons in a week!

Cut the barrel mounting holes off in preparation for a converted weapon I am working on, so I can swap between them.

I went with the 60mm base even though the guidelines go with the oval one. I just prefer the 60mm round :( most people I play with won't mind though! :) 

Cannons_1.jpg.13a098fb2a30090df580deeca9db6bd2.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/11/2018 at 3:45 PM, Brad Gamma said:

Cannons!

I like doing cross-posts here to bump the Ironweld thread! These are some unconverted cannons that I painted up. Spent a month doing 100 points of longbeards so its nice to knock out 320 points of cannons in a week!

Cut the barrel mounting holes off in preparation for a converted weapon I am working on, so I can swap between them.

I went with the 60mm base even though the guidelines go with the oval one. I just prefer the 60mm round :( most people I play with won't mind though! :) 

Cannons_1.jpg.13a098fb2a30090df580deeca9db6bd2.jpg

Beautifully done !

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

They look amazing!

My take on 2018 Ironweld List;

Hurricanum

cause magic and +1 hits.

gunmaster

cause reroll to hit on cannons

Ordinator

cause +1 to hit and army wide battleschock immune

30 longbeards

cause rerolls 4+ saves

10 longsbeards

10 longbeards

4x Cannon 

cause 8 shots 2+2+ with -2 and d6 damage.

Steam tank

cause 6+ on hero phase extra shooty, and objective holder.

Soulsnare shackles endless spell

cause halve enemies movement and shoot em!

Edited by Thankee
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Cool list @Thankee - I've been loving you Aspect heavy Deepkin thread. :D 

I'd drop the Hurricanum - at 3+ with rerolls the majority of your cannonballs are going to be hitting anyway, and 380 points are much better sunk into mobile objective grabbers that your list currently sorely lacks. Get some Gyrocopters in there!

Thanks buddy, this thread was an inspiration

I'd argue that dispelling, endless spells and missions where wizards are needed makes it worthwhile. It's very fast and also buffs steam tank and warriors!

• Thanks 1