AoS 2 - Ironweld Arsenal Discussion

Double Misfire

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

@Lightbox

?

Totally original and unique, and you managed to get angry old man head in there! (the patrician's free company head)

I do like that head for my mad engineer types. Made a mad scientist for mordheim using that head too!

Hopefully I'll be able to get some games with ironweld next wednesday and see how they do. Need to get some cannons at some point as well though. Because who doesn't love 160pt cannons? Also they benefit greatly from my lord ordinator.

Keen to see how they and my freeguild do in AoS2. And will be having fun with malign sorcery! I do hope there's cool realm of metal stuff in there ;)

• Like 2

So the new semi-official, totally optional and slightly suggestive AoS basing chart has come out, had Gutbusters players kick off about it and come out again, and Ironweld Arsenal artillery has semi-officially, totally optionally been suggested that it belongs on 90x52mm oval bases (the same ones dracoths and juggernauts go on).

Artillery never had an "official" base size in WFB, and many people chose to run their cannons and bolt throwers commando, with no base at all (this is how most of the studio artillery is shown in Grand Alliance: Order). I come from a small place of personal bias considering they were what my artillery was already carefully modelled onto with accompanying barrels, spades and bits of kit, but I feel that Ironweld artillery pieces look much better parked on 60mm rounds (the base size the new Celestar Ballista goes on) than ovals and am thinking about making like an angry ogor and writing a polite email to GW asking them to reconsider their base sizes.

Does anyone else have any strong feelings about this? All our artillery pieces fit snugly on 90x52s and 60s, which do you feel they look better on? :)

• Like 3

Wow, that steam tank conversion is amazing. When I first saw the idea I pictured it looking terrible but you've done a great job making it look like it's fits (in a crazy mad scientist kind of way) 

Also, I may not be the best person to weigh in this having never seen an ironweld model in real life before (I'm sorry ><) but in my mind artillery belongs on round bases. More than anything else in the game I imagine them wheeling around in order to aim and putting them on a oval base removes the space they have to turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Does anyone else have any strong feelings about this? All our artillery pieces fit snugly on 90x52s and 60s, which do you feel they look better on? :)

I would certainly have preferred 60mm rounds, they look a bit more pleasing to me. The cannons that I order today I may leave commando for a bit so that they easily integrate into my armies on parade board plans. Hopefully in that time there will be a bit more clarity on how ‘official’ the guide actually is and how many people in the community follow it. Feels like there are a couple of corrections that need to be made too.

i will however rebase my cogsmith onto a 32mm round, since I think that looks better for characters. He is on a 25mm now because I assumed that was the translation from the 20mm square. The base design for my army has come on a bit since then too!

EDIT: Seems the updated cogsmith to 25mm overnight! Ha!

Edited by Brad Gamma

Rounds feel they would be easier to sit the pieces on terrain and hills etc for the line of sight but it does feel awkward for the models to be on them... or at least the cannons as they aren't very long. Though I suppose we're not gonna be trying to do the 40k thing of placing them on ledges in ruined buildings so it may not actually matter that much :P

Also thanks for the comments on the steam tank guys ^_^ Just gotta get it finished, start painting it and have it wreak havoc upon my foes in true ironweld fashion!! Gonna take a flick through the new books when I go out to get them in a mo and will see about putting together a quick list for wednesday. And then will need to look at getting new artillery pieces...

Currently I have a cannon and volley gun (both of which I need to make crew for) More cannons? Or some hellstorms?

• Like 1

Since I've posted it on my thread, thought I'd post it here too. My first completed Ironweld Arsenal unit.

Gyrocopter_1.jpg.e109aab6e86f78d624d985feaf759772.jpg#

Anyone have much experience using them?

With tempest's eye bonus it will be nice to have that initial 18 inch move for objective grabbing depending on the scenario, and a 3+ save in the first turn might keep it alive. Beyond that it seems much too easy to kill, and I imagine pulling off steam gun shenanigans is harder than you'd think.

I'll still use them however, because they are beautiful! 

• Like 3

Gyrocopter looks amazing @Brad Gamma.

I've got limited experience using them in AoS, but have a pair of the new plastic ones that after the amounts of complains levelled at me by my regular opponents about double-firing Cannons after our opening games of 2.0 yesterday might just jump to the top of my painting quee. I don't think they're gamebreaking and at 80 points they're way too expensive to justify as Hunting Hound (rip) style redirectors, but the steam gun and bombs are great in the right situation and like you said, they make pretty nifty first turn objective grabbers, especially in a Tempest's Eye list.

@eciu @flamingwalnut @Marrdt - The Ironweld Arsenal artillery warscrolls on the new version of the app are incomplete. They don't list the separate profiles for the crew (who are a separate unit with the Ironweld Arsenal keyword), or the charts telling you what the variable parts of their profiles (based on the amount of surviving crew within 1" are.

The warscrolls for Ironweld Artillery from Grand Alliance: Order are currently unchanged as of the latest errata, which is a massive shame as the Celstar Ballista's crew are much more survivable and a million times less complicated.

Ignore my last post everyone - big news.

Mixed tidings: The Lord-Ordinator has lost his Rain of Fire command ability. Obviously this comes as a massive blow to the ability of Ironweld forces to massively blow stuff up at long range, but on the upside means I don't have to include any Stormcast models in my army anymore, so I'm less honestly fussed than I thought I'd be.

(review video starts at the point explaining this)

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Ignore my last post everyone - big news.

Mixed tidings: The Lord-Ordinator has lost his Rain of Fire command ability. Obviously this comes as a massive blow to the ability of Ironweld forces to massively blow stuff up at long range, but on the upside means I don't have to include any Stormcast models in my army anymore, so I'm less honestly fussed than I thought I'd be.

(review video starts at the point explaining this)

51939-a-certain-scientific-railgun-crying-misaka.gif.70dd7f8c30f1ca0bdb7126af532ea95b.gif

I need to make a list for wednesday but it will be hard to fight through the tears of no double shooting cannons...

Will probably still keep an ordinator for chasing my tank across the field for that +1 to hit.

Thinking tank, 2 cannons and a volley gun! (Unless I can find a 3rd cannon but at 1500 points it's a lot!) And taking guard for walls or archers for movement and maybe grab some demigryphs and a griffon for some running around to grab objectives. Will need some thinking as I'll be fighting mixed elves, likely with a frostheart pheonix.

5 hours ago, Lardidar said:

Still +1 to hit though? I think he would still be worth taking, you just don't have to have him as a general anymore. 

For a 14% chance improvement to hit to hit on engineer'd Cannons I'd probably sooner put the 140 points into more battleline bodies or a the best part of a pair of Gyrocopters and leave the Ordinator on the shelf for Malign Portents games.

1 hour ago, Lightbox said:

51939-a-certain-scientific-railgun-crying-misaka.gif.70dd7f8c30f1ca0bdb7126af532ea95b.gif

I need to make a list for wednesday but it will be hard to fight through the tears of no double shooting cannons...

Will probably still keep an ordinator for chasing my tank across the field for that +1 to hit.

Thinking tank, 2 cannons and a volley gun! (Unless I can find a 3rd cannon but at 1500 points it's a lot!) And taking guard for walls or archers for movement and maybe grab some demigryphs and a griffon for some running around to grab objectives. Will need some thinking as I'll be fighting mixed elves, likely with a frostheart pheonix.

The Stormcast book's not out until Saturday so he's still legal in hi current form till then. Send him off in style (by pumping as many cannonballs into as many ranks worth of treacherous elves as you can fire). ??

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

For a 14% chance improvement to hit to hit on engineer'd Cannons I'd probably sooner put the 140 points into more battleline bodies or a the best part of a pair of Gyrocopters and leave the Ordinator on the shelf for Malign Portents games.

The Stormcast book's not out until Saturday so he's still legal in hi current form till then. Send him off in style (by pumping as many cannonballs into as many ranks worth of treacherous elves as you can fire). ??

Hmmm you make a point... I might do that but I'm also curious to see how the ordinator will function with just the +1 to hit. Sure it's 140 points but the hit bonus on some units is really helpful! I'd suspect it to be extra terrifying on rocket batteries, make them scarily accurate since you won't be needing the engineer.

My thoughts are if you're gonna be relying on your artillery you definitely wanna make them reliable! Though probably not the best use of points for a competetive game. In theory if just looking for the +1 a hurricanum may prove better since it's adding it to everyone at a longer range and gives you spells and shots, but also a very hefty price tag unless you're really gonna benefit from that +1 aura and extra magic stuffs.

Though for just cannons a gunmaster giving you those rerolls is all you'll likely need to cause fear and damage in your enemy. I can still see him being of benefit to rocket batteries though.

I'm gonna aim my list for guns to blast my foe apart, a wall to keep the enemy off them and some fast movers to grab objectives or  flank. I'll have to decide whether I want lots of small guard units or to take handgunners and the like alongside my cannons to fill the board with shots but have trouble when I get in close and hope I'll have caused enough damage before that happens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I really like it @Lightbox

What's it made out of? No GW components I recognise

Rockets made from the rocker launcher from the 40k taurox and some shells from the ogryn set. Wheels are from anvil. Body is made up of plasticard that comes shaped like girders.

Rods were metal ones coated in plastic (like extremely rigid wires, weirdly)

Edited by Lightbox
  • Thanks 1