AoS 2 - Ironweld Arsenal Discussion

Double Misfire

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

The release will tell but I haven’t heard any of the reviewers mention it. 

I saw this video yesterday:

At 31:10 into the video the requirements for mercenaries in matched play are mentioned very quickly, but it doesn’t really sound like he’s actually reading out loud from the book. I don’t know. But for allies there was always the rule that additional units had to be proportional to your main force both in points and in number of units. 

1 hour ago, Lightbox said:

160 for the helblaster? That seems like a really strange choice, especially as they've dropped cannons.

Though cheaper cannons and steam tank will be really nice :) My greywater fastness is calling me again damnit! (And now I have contrast paints the idea of painting the freeguild bodies isn't horrific)

It’s possible that someone found some crazy way to “abuse” the rules and to deter this, the adjusted the points. All of this is just me making wild guesses for fun, though 9_9

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lightbox said:

160 for the helblaster? That seems like a really strange choice, especially as they've dropped cannons.

I'm waiting to see if there are any warscroll or faq changes on Saturday before I kick off about this. The Helblaster is a worse Organ Gun, and should have gone down to 110 points if anything. I don't even

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I'm waiting to see if there are any warscroll or faq changes on Saturday before I kick off about this. The Helblaster is a worse Organ Gun, and should have gone down to 110 points if anything. I don't even

I have double checked the footage and it is indeed strange. Is there any chance GW messed up and their real intention was to lower the helSTORM from 180 to 160? That sounds like a more reasonable change in my ears. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oscisi said:

I have double checked the footage and it is indeed strange. Is there any chance GW messed up and their real intention was to lower the helSTORM from 180 to 160? That sounds like a more reasonable change in my ears. 

Good spot. 160 for a Helstorm does seem about right. 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oscisi said:

Now you're just getting me excited about possible cheaper fireworks... hopefully this may happen ;) 

Which also reminds me I should really get some more helstorms

• Haha 2

Time for me to have some fun, celebrate that contrast paints will now mean my freeguild army can be back on the table of stuff to get done, and release blackpowder back into the world! By making a list:

Alleigance: Greywater Fastness

Heroes:
Freeguild general on griffon - 280
Gunmaster - 80

Units:
10x Freeguild Guard - 80
10x Freeguild Guard - 80
10x Freeguild Crossbowmen - 100
Steam Tank - 240

War Machines:
Helstorm Rocket - 180
Helstorm Rocket - 180
Cannon - 140
Cannon - 140

Mercenaries:
5 Blood Knights - 200
5 Blood Knights - 200

Gives me lots of guns and then the new allies lets me run rampant with some blood knights & griffon to take the fight to my enemy whilst my men screen my gunline. Alternate to the blood knights would be some demigryph knights which would be less punchy but probably hold up the enemy quite well whilst I shoot them apart. No magic protection is a bit of an issue. Also possibility of making some changes to free up room for a celestial hurricanum but that would probably mean no blood knights, reducing my melee presence for more accurate rockets & cannons.

Edited by Lightbox
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 7:26 PM, oscisi said:

True! But to have 3 units as mercenaries, you would still have to have 9 units in your main force, I think. 

Just returning on this subject. One of the guys at the Bretonnia thread checked out the mercenary rules and it will indeed be a challenge to include 4 or more units of mercs in your army. Here’s what he wrote:

(Page 46.)

- One army can only hire one Mercenary Company.

- If a Company is hired by your army, 1 of 4 of your units could  be one of the units of the company. (In case of the Bloodknights, for instance, you can have a Knights of the Realm unit, a Men at arms unit, a bowmen unit and then you can choose 1 Vampire Lord or 1 unit (3 max) of Blood Knights).  This units from the mercenary companies have the trait <Mercenary>

-This units can't be included on your allegiance, and any mercenary character couldn't be the general of the army.

- If you use them, ONLY in your first turn you don't get your command point.

- Any unit summoned by a Mercenary unit gets the Mercenary trait.

- Mercenaries are not battlelines, but they units with traits "Leader" "Behemoth" and "Artilery" counts as that for the limitations of the armies.

Edited by oscisi

• 1 month later...

Ben Johnson mentioned to us it is possible to do a Steamtank army!! More news as we get it!

https://spruesandbrews.com/2019/07/20/battletome-cities-of-sigmar/

Looks like good things do happen to terrible people! 🤗

I can wildly infer from this that we are getting battleline Steam Tanks, and a Steam Tank mounted engineer commander as a leader option, and that all this has come from my ridiculous list of feedback last year. Praise me (no really, praise @bottle, the new Cities of Sigmar book looks fantastic, and it's an idea that a million people could have had. But if you want to also praise me).

• 2 weeks later...

Cross posting from the Cities of Sigmar thread because it seems relevant to a lot of people:

Important news concerning recently axed units!

I'm not on the Facebooks, but a friend just sent me this:

LnMAoF0.jpg

It looks like the axed units will still be available to their parent factions, just not as part of Cities of Sigmar allegiance, your army has not been invalidated, and all of the units that didn't get discontinued are getting shiny new warscrolls. Business as usual, everybody wins I guess! 🥳

For dwarf artillery affectionados like myself, this means our Cities of Sigmar armies will still be able to ally in Cannons and Organ guns as part of the Blacksmoke Battery mercenary company.

Dwarf party!

giphy.gif

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, oscisi said:

Do we have any pictures of anyone crazy enough to make an oldschool Ironweld Arsenal army with three Steam Tanks filling the battleline role? :D (I don't care if it is legal or not - I still want to see it)

I am pretty sure this is a thing, and if you want to see it you should go the Greywater Fastness thread in the cities subforum

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 9:36 PM, Sttufe said:

I am pretty sure this is a thing, and if you want to see it you should go the Greywater Fastness thread in the cities subforum

Thanks for the answer! I took a look in that thread but didn’t find anyone that had gone all in Steam Tanks, but then again, you’d have to be a little bit crazy to be willing to spend money on such a lackluster unit

1 hour ago, oscisi said:

Thanks for the answer! I took a look in that thread but didn’t find anyone that had gone all in Steam Tanks, but then again, you’d have to be a little bit crazy to be willing to spend money on such a lackluster unit

Now that I think about it I remember an older thread about Steam Tanks, I might go see if I can dredge it up. It was about crazy all monster/vehicle lists and I think there was like 3 or 4 tank lists

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 5:50 AM, oscisi said:

Do we have any pictures of anyone crazy enough to make an oldschool Ironweld Arsenal army with three Steam Tanks filling the battleline role? :D (I don't care if it is legal or not - I still want to see it)

Army List:

Steam Tank Commander
    General
Celestial Hurricanum
Luminark of Hysh

6x Steam Tanks

Alternatively, replace 1 steam tank with a Lord-Ordinator and a command point (or instead of a command point, upgrade a 2nd steam tank to have a commander).  Another alternative is to replace the Luminark with another steam tank commander, but I find the extra magic (and the 6+ FNP aura) to be nice.

List works well in Greywater Fastness (extra range for your tanks) or in living city (heal one health per turn, and can have ambush tanks).  

23 hours ago, readercolin said:

Army List:

Steam Tank Commander
    General
Celestial Hurricanum
Luminark of Hysh

6x Steam Tanks

Alternatively, replace 1 steam tank with a Lord-Ordinator and a command point (or instead of a command point, upgrade a 2nd steam tank to have a commander).  Another alternative is to replace the Luminark with another steam tank commander, but I find the extra magic (and the 6+ FNP aura) to be nice.

List works well in Greywater Fastness (extra range for your tanks) or in living city (heal one health per turn, and can have ambush tanks).  

Haha this list would have been amazing to see on the table! Do you own any Steam Tanks?

2 hours ago, oscisi said:

Haha this list would have been amazing to see on the table! Do you own any Steam Tanks?

Nope, don't own any steam tanks at the moment.  Eventually I might get some, but first I'm finishing out some other sections of my cities army.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Commander Steam Tank + 3 other Steam Tanks.  Once I build a Hurricanum and Luminark, I can give something like that list a try (some Irondrakes and possibly a Frost Phoenix might also be in there).

My Steam tanks with Iron Drakes army though did well vs Beasts of Chaos (I used Greywater).  The Beasts tried outflanking but mostly failed to charge and then got pretty well shot up.  The one unit of 10 Bestigors that did make the charge against a steam tank failed to do anything to it (love that 3+ save).  

Later on the long range steam cannons and rifles were terrific at sniping the enemy doombull across the field fighting my General on Griffon.  Steam Tanks are super swingy, but so tough.  I think they're viable in some match ups because of that multi-use firing.  They can often survive getting mobbed by a horde, blasting them with the Steam Gun whilst sniping support characters.   Outflanking them in a Living City sounds pretty fun too actually.  

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I've got a Commander Steam Tank + 3 other Steam Tanks.  Once I build a Hurricanum and Luminark, I can give something like that list a try (some Irondrakes and possibly a Frost Phoenix might also be in there).

My Steam tanks with Iron Drakes army though did well vs Beasts of Chaos (I used Greywater).  The Beasts tried outflanking but mostly failed to charge and then got pretty well shot up.  The one unit of 10 Bestigors that did make the charge against a steam tank failed to do anything to it (love that 3+ save).  

Later on the long range steam cannons and rifles were terrific at sniping the enemy doombull across the field fighting my General on Griffon.  Steam Tanks are super swingy, but so tough.  I think they're viable in some match ups because of that multi-use firing.  They can often survive getting mobbed by a horde, blasting them with the Steam Gun whilst sniping support characters.   Outflanking them in a Living City sounds pretty fun too actually.  

I would love to hear all your tales about this after you try this out! :D And photos of your Ironweld army would be cool!