AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Here is the new thread for discussing Beasts of Chaos. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Beasts of Chaos in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section. But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

EDIT

With New Beasts of Chaos Battletome coming out, I've renamed this topic from Brayherds and Warherds Discussion to Beasts of Chaos ;) 

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Updated Title for new Battletome

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to AoS 2 - Brayherds and Warherds Discussion

Hello, a great idea! Also now that it seems that games worshop is giving them a little more prominence, we went on the website of Age of sigmar creis that unified brayherd warherds and thunderscorns? Hope so. See a battletome of beasts of chaos.

13 hours ago, peasant said:

hi today Ive purchased 60 gors

Would you mind sharing the type of list you're building towards ? :)
I'm considering building a Beastmen army for 2.0, but I have trouble thinking about something relevant given the changes with the new edition !

1 hour ago, Saiken said:

Would you mind sharing the type of list you're building towards ? :)
I'm considering building a Beastmen army for 2.0, but I have trouble thinking about something relevant given the changes with the new edition !

Im not sure yet, I like both brayherd and warherds so may be I go BH alliance with WH allies or full chaos alliance to be able to mix both. Chaos alliance works well with a doombull general but the herdstone...

for the Brayherd route Im thinking of a rush army, no mistery.

the core

2x30 gors

1x20-30 ungor raiders, ambush

1x30 bestigors (only 300 points!)

1 or 2 bray shamans

1 boss

and them maybe add cygor and minotaurs

With the 30" dispel range now I really see Cygor becoming a bit more used. I will definitely gonna give it a try and see what they can do as now the can stay a little bit more behind and still b threatening for wizards. Can you see a tzeentch chicken or Nagash taking MW due to a beastman!!!!!! So hilarious!!!!!

Minotaurs are dropping in points I think to 140 which is very promising considering the don't really do much plus now being able to pile them in better at least it will be some more attacks in. I very well see 6xBullgors + 1 Doombull to have his command ability on them

• Like 1

I am quite excited about the new command point system since the beastlord's and doombull's command abilities are very situatuonal so we should be able to make good use of the generic command abilities. Taking 2 doombulls and using both command abilities seems like it would be devastating for one turn.

The two (or three with Thunderscorn) really really really need to be a combined faction.  All the pieces are there for something great, but I just can't seem to crack it handcuffed to 400pts of allies (mixed Chaos ends up afoul of Battleline minimums so that doesn't help for me).

If anyone comes up with a good Bray/War/Thunder list, I'd love to see it.

• Like 1

While it will ultimately depend on the allegiance abilities and equipment, with the heavy discounts to brayherd and the new spell, I think the wildstalker brayherd could be a legitimate list to run.

Something like this:

30 gors    210
30 gors    210
30 gors    210
10 raiders    80
10 raiders    80
10 raiders    80
10 raiders    80
5 x 1 chariot    160
beastlord    90
gbs    100
gbs    100
wildstalker brayherd    210
30 bestigors    340

Total 1950

Chariots are dirty cheap missiles you can ambush with to charge solos and missile units or to flank units.

Comes with 4 large blocks and speed to burn, and hits hard within the battalions bubble.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, decker_cky said:

While it will ultimately depend on the allegiance abilities and equipment, with the heavy discounts to brayherd and the new spell, I think the wildstalker brayherd could be a legitimate list to run.

Something like this:

30 gors    210
30 gors    210
30 gors    210
10 raiders    80
10 raiders    80
10 raiders    80
10 raiders    80
5 x 1 chariot    160
beastlord    90
gbs    100
gbs    100
wildstalker brayherd    210
30 bestigors    340

Total 1950

Chariots are dirty cheap missiles you can ambush with to charge solos and missile units or to flank units.

Comes with 4 large blocks and speed to burn, and hits hard within the battalions bubble.

hornedfellow Bestigor went down horde discounts let them at 300!

44 minutes ago, peasant said:

hornedfellow Bestigor went down horde discounts let them at 300!

Good catch - misread that on the screen capture I had. 

My list total is still right because I noticed I only included points for 4 chariots.  300 pt bestigors is awesome though - that's got to be one of the best point for point damage output units in the game and opens up wildstalker lists like this: 

30 gors 210
30 gors 210
10 gors 80
10 ungors 60
10 ungors 60
10 raiders 80
10 raiders 80
3 x 1 chariot  120
beastlord  90
gbs  100
gbs  100
wildstalker brayherd   210
30 bestigors   300
30 bestigors   300
Total  2000

1 minute ago, kenshin620 said:

Not to mention Centigors. Ok I understand that maybe not all monsters of chaos belong with beastmen, but Centigors are literally Gors!

Centigors (along with the compendium units) are the most egregious, but rolling them all together with warherd and thunderscorn, with the addition of a few more battalions, would make for a legitimate faction.

Wow that is a loooooooot of bodies!!!!!!!!!!! I got a lot of minis but I don t think I ll be able to pull off a battalion list with that many!

I found the raiders very efficient in units 20-30 men strong but I don t particularly like 10 of them only I feel the don t do what 20 do. Even if they shoot pretty ****** (and still, I play wanderers too and they by all means pull out more dmg than Glade Guards for less points) they still fulfill that annoying role of "I got a shooty unit on the objective and you don t really care because you consider them ****** so you don t kill them". For me 20 of them have always been MVP, every single match!!!!

30 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

Wow that is a loooooooot of bodies!!!!!!!!!!! I got a lot of minis but I don t think I ll be able to pull off a battalion list with that many!

I found the raiders very efficient in units 20-30 men strong but I don t particularly like 10 of them only I feel the don t do what 20 do. Even if they shoot pretty ****** (and still, I play wanderers too and they by all means pull out more dmg than Glade Guards for less points) they still fulfill that annoying role of "I got a shooty unit on the objective and you don t really care because you consider them ****** so you don t kill them". For me 20 of them have always been MVP, every single match!!!!

me too the numbers are very important in this unit, perhaps better 30 than 20

Thing is that if raider have to be in higher numbers to be effectives I am not very sure how you manage to pull off the battalion as the requirement in units is crazy high  ( I mean not that they win you the game if they have the number or something, is just that 10 men units are really really useless and take a lot pf points). I have not tried to make up one but it looks tricky. And I think now that bestigor got cheaper and bullgors got cheaper and we can use the command abilities from other characters and Cygors have more chances to do dmg, maybe I se better a mixed list rather than a pure Brayherd. But maybe is just me.

Yeah, the wildstalker brayherd needs a lot of models starting with minimum 3 gor units and 4 ungor units (and I need to go through my collection to verify whether I even have that many models ?). With 7 mainline units required, it's just not feasible to max out every unit to optimal numbers. With 160+ models, the list definitely is going to require an investment in movement trays to be feasible to play.

Regardless of their actual shooting, 10 man ungor raider units are great for getting  forward and denying space to allow your mainline units to score objectives early in games (denying space is huge in AOS, and brayherds foot speed allows them to play earlier on a number of objectives than most armies can). Any shooting damage the raiders cause is a bonus (not that they're bad at shooting). Bigger is obviously better, but you need to make sacrifices somewhere for the formation, and the bonuses are huge. 

With 2.0 I'm going to start a new army, and since I don't have any thing Chaos and thought I would start a warherd/brayherd mix. What are you thoughts on something like this? If I have the new points correct (-20 for Bullgors, Bestigors and Cygor, and +10 for Bray Shamans) the points should come out to 1990. Could also swap out the Ghorgon for another Cygor, to get enough points for one of the cheaper Endless spells. Would use the Grand Alliance Chaos abilities but I'm not sure on command trait, artifact or realm yet. Unfortunately I won't have any battalions or extra command points unless I drop something to get down to 1950 or 1900.

Allegiance: Warherd

Doombull (120)

- General

- Axe & Shield

Doombull (120)

- Great Axe

Great Bray Shaman (90)

Great Bray Shaman (90)

6 x Bullgors (360)

- Great Axes

3 x Bullgors (180)

- Great Axes

30 x Gors (210)

- Gor-Blades & Beastshields

20 x Bestigors (280)

Cygor (200)

Ghorgon (200)

Jabberslythe (120)

Jabberslythe (120)

Total: 2090 / 2000  (1990 w/ new points)

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 160

• Like 1

Realized after looking over my list I don't think it would be legal with a Warherd Allegiance. Below is the new list with Grand Alliance Chaos as the allegiance. I lowered the Bestigors to 10, and split the Gors into 3 groups of 10 for battle line purposes.  With the new points this should get me to 1900, which would allow me to get up to 50 points worth of Endless Spells, and 1 Command Point at the start of the game.?

Allegiance: Chaos

Doombull (120)

- General

- Axe & Shield

Great Bray Shaman (90)

Great Bray Shaman (90)

Doombull (120)

- Great Axe

10 x Gors (80)

10 x Gors (80)