AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, SugarMaple82 said:

What was the list there? 

You can find the full rundown of the lists in the event section but Dan's list was:

Tzaangor Shaman - General (Shadowpelt), Ignax's Scales, Tendrils of Atrophy
Great Bray Shaman - Savage Dominion
Great Bray Shaman - Viletide
40 Ungors - Mauls and Shields
10 Ungors - Mauls and Shields
30 Tzaangors
9 Enlightened on Disc
9 Enlightened on Disc
Geminids of Uhl-Ghysh

11 hours ago, Pandamina said:

There are no tzaangor units in desolating beastherd battalion, so that's probably why we don't see them in list. If there were any, i guess they would be here, because battalion rule is amazing with sheer amount of attacks Tzaangors and Enlightened have (not to mention gavespawn ability). 

It's mostly because Joel McGrath wanted to make a point that he could do well without Enlightened. I think he just prefers traditional Beastmen lists, based on his comments in the Beasts of Chaos facebook group in the past.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:53 AM, The_Yellow_Sign said:

For anyone after cool third party sculpts: it's been essentially confirmed that the February announcement from Creature Caster will be a Beasts of Chaos-compatible model. 

One of the guys from the team said that it's their favourite model yet on Warhammer Weekly last night, so definitely looking forward to it. 

I'm really hoping it's a Shaggoth, but any sort of beastly model will make me happy!

Are you keeping track of this ?

If yes, can you let us know once its out ? Cheers

1 hour ago, Myrdin said:

Are you keeping track of this ?

If yes, can you let us know once its out ? Cheers

I follow Creature Caster on facebook so it will probably show up in my feed. I'm sure someone will post it in the Beasts of Chaos facebook group as soon as the news comes though; everyone there seemed pretty excited about it. 

If you haven't seen their models, this is their amazing Zombie Dragon: 

zombie-dragon.jpg

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

Nah, I`ve seen them. They make only big stuff, like Greater demons, dragons and such.

Some of them are very cool, some are less, but regardless of which they all have a unique vibe (and a considerable  price tag :D ) to them.

Considering the scale of their models and the fact its supposed to fit in with BoC, Dragon Ogre Shaggoth is the only thing that comes to mind, that fits both the size of their usual miniatures, and the information you have provided.

No complaints from this peanut gallery :D God knows I need some good model for a DOS, and the one from Mierce I was considering is way to big for a 90x52mm base, so need to look elsewhere or get down on converting something myself (but considering the slow progress of my current conversion projects thats one option I would like to avoid if at all possible.).

Edited by Myrdin

My plan is to run a 3 drop 19 unit list to basically get up early with rapid centigors and chariots, force the opponent into killing them - accruing hopefully 7 Blood Tithe points then activating Relentless Fury to explode Bestigors all over the table backed up by a duo of Bloodsecrators. 

Have you played it much?

@Skreech Verminking

I like it ! The steel like looking disc fits the Warriors of Chaos / Norsca theme. and the magic wand painted like a torch is actually quite nice touch

"Raiding, burning, pillaging ! YARRR ! :D

Mine are going to be similar but different. Also went for the dark skinned ones, but retained the mystical blue to it. I want my Tzaangors to resemble crows > black feathers/bodies, yellow beaks, different yellow claws and horns. Shaman will be grey in contrast to them, because.... shaman > old wise and less angry, more cunning then his younger cousins :p

Edited by Myrdin

Hello my fellow bestial savages! I have been working out a list to use with my beastmen (mostly Tzaans right now, but now that BoC is released, I'm looking to expand) and would like some feedback on this list.

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura 
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Beastlord (90)
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade 
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Wild Rampage
10 x Tzaangors of Beasts of Chaos (180)
20 x Tzaangors of Beasts of Chaos (360)
40 x Ungors (200)
- Shortspears & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
3 x Tzaangor Skyfires (200)
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (280)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
Wildfire Taurus (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000

Is Wildfire Taurus decent? Are my units alright? Thank you in advance for any feedback

9 hours ago, Goosefoot said:

Hello my fellow bestial savages! I have been working out a list to use with my beastmen (mostly Tzaans right now, but now that BoC is released, I'm looking to expand) and would like some feedback on this list.

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura 
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Beastlord (90)
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade 
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Wild Rampage
10 x Tzaangors of Beasts of Chaos (180)
20 x Tzaangors of Beasts of Chaos (360)
40 x Ungors (200)
- Shortspears & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
3 x Tzaangor Skyfires (200)
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (280)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
Wildfire Taurus (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000

Is Wildfire Taurus decent? Are my units alright? Thank you in advance for any feedback

If you dont start with any extra cp I would consider removing the chaos spawn. If you use Phantasmagoria of Fate you will get a extra cp and a nice artifact which could generate more cp for a nice time and better gavespawn effect

Not sure about Wildfire Taurus. 

Personally I am vary of any Predatory spells other then Pendelum which cant really do jack to you, even if you opponent gets the turn. Other Predatory spells, especially super fast ones like the Taurus however are something I would not risk, unless I had a perfect placement far away from my lines with a lone shaman suicide casting him there.

On the note of our Endless spells. Has any one had any success with Dirge Horn ? I played around with some list that could incorporate it > Usually with a Tzaan Shaman as the spell carrier, since he is fast and can double cast once per game. Its fairly easy to dispell but if you push with stuff like Viletide, Arcane bolts and Tendrils > especially on enemy hero, they usually choose to protect the heroes rather than care about Dirge Horn. Have to try it out yet though.

4 hours ago, Myrdin said:

On the note of our Endless spells. Has any one had any success with Dirge Horn ? I played around with some list that could incorporate it > Usually with a Tzaan Shaman as the spell carrier, since he is fast and can double cast once per game. Its fairly easy to dispell but if you push with stuff like Viletide, Arcane bolts and Tendrils > especially on enemy hero, they usually choose to protect the heroes rather than care about Dirge Horn. Have to try it out yet though.

Haven't thought about it that way before. I've got a round of practice games this weekend so I'll write up a list with it in there and give it a few goes, and report back Monday. 

I'm thinking a major requirement of the list are 3 casters - need to be able to threaten with viletide for sure to keep the dispells honest. Probably going to look at a Tzaangor, GBS, and Shaggoth set up to start with. 

Edited by SwampHeart

On 1/28/2019 at 10:55 AM, Kevin K said:

I'm documenting my build up of a BoC list focused on Dragon Ogors.  Thought people here might be interested if you haven't seen it yet.

https://www.tga.community/blogs/blog/346-the-dragon-ogors-descend/?csrfKey=aec88cb2ddd7f268db7848d293e495d1

Nice.  I've been thinking of trying out a flank of run and charge DOs with re-rolls on the free move plus Centigors for annoying zippiness. 

On 1/28/2019 at 7:23 AM, Marc Wilson said:

Has anyone played Brass Despoilers in a Khorne allegiance army?  I'm one converted unit of Centigors away from having my army built but as I've done it during a busy time it's power is all based on supposition and 'feelings' ha ha.

There have been a few lists posted over the months, if you have time i encourage you to go back and read them.  The usual pairing is Goretide Pilgrim and Brass Despoiler.

You are giving up the BoC alliegance for Khorne to stack +1A (from the banner guy), and often +3" movement from the whip guy (AoS is name hell,..).  Also the Slaughterpriest brings some unbind ability (which ends up being good from the Goretide).

Generally you are trying to stack more attacks onto Bullgors (with naturally high DMG and rend, something you lose when moving away from BoC allegiance).  The two re-roll abilities are good and rare in the army. 

Doing the Brass Despoilers + Goretide is 400 pts in formations and bare bones units.  You get some chaff (reavers,..which become your BL), and what units do hit in CC hit hard.  I really hope those two formations drop next GHB.

I feel it is a valid way to play the army (before the book dropped I was doing well with Warherd), offers some good benefits and, if you don't mind buying and adding Khorne to your army, works.  It won't win Masters but is that your goal?  Plus it hearkens back to Khorne Minotaurs in 6th ed which was pretty cool and fun.  Keep in mind your Warherd aren't BL outside Allegiance Khorne which,.. you want to be to get the Khorne benefits. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 5:11 AM, The_Yellow_Sign said:

So unfortunately Beastlord is not very good at all in an Allherd list. A Beastlord is basically an artefact-delivery system, so you should generally only run him if you can equip him with a good artefact (e.g. Gavespawn Mutating Gnarlblade, Volcanic Axe, Sword of Judgement). And the best way to play Allherd is to take Aetherquartz Brooch as your second artefact (taking a Battalion to get a second one) so that you can generate loads of command points for summoning.

Similarly, Bullgors are less ideal in an Allherd list. You generally want to buff your Bullgors with a Doombull's command ability, but in Allherd you want to be using your CP either for generating summoning points, or for ignoring battleshock.

If you want to run those particular units that you have in your list, then Gavespawn or Darkwalkers (or no Greatfray at all) would be better choices from an optimization point of view.

With regards to summoning, most commonly I summon Ungors, Raiders, Bestigors, Enlightened on Disk, Chariots, Warhounds,  or a Chimera. Ungors and Raiders are good for stealing poorly defended objectives just by outnumbering your opponent, and Bestigors are good for challenging a small unit defending an objective. Chimera is good but I usually only summon it if I'm already comfortably ahead in the game and can safely bank summoning points. Each summoning point is worth roughly 20 points of units, and you get an average of 3 points per turn by sacrificing at the Herdstone. So on average you can summon 10 Ungors per turn. Allherd gives you an extra summoning point per CP spent, and Atherquartz gives you on average 1/2 a CP per CP spent.

For strategy, check out the Doom & Darkness youtube channel. He runs a Tzaangor- and Dragon Ogre-focused list, but has a lot of excellent advice regarding screening, movement, summoning etc.

If i wanted to expand the list i have what would you recommend for a gavespawn  list? do gavespawn usually have chaos spawn in the army list or do they summon them in? thanks! 

I was debating summoning 1 or starting with 1 my self, and i decided to just start with 1, this is how i looked at;

Spawns are 50pts, but are only 3 PC

A PC is worth either (over 5 turns, a Shaman and 10 Ungors is 160pts, it on average generates 10PC, with a Max of 15, so on average its 16pts per PC)
3PC 16each is 48

Well a Spawn is 50pts, so you save the points, but you have to use the PC on the Spawn instead of something else.
Also note: Heroes will turn into spawns, do you really need to spend 50pts/3PC for one? Unless you want it for turn 1

2 hours ago, clamo said:

If i wanted to expand the list i have what would you recommend for a gavespawn  list? do gavespawn usually have chaos spawn in the army list or do they summon them in? thanks! 

I will try out a list with 2 chaos spawn, and this is only because i start with 2cp (with 50% of 1 more) and i have a warherd heavy list (feel like they need a consistent way for more attacks). Haven't tested it yet but i do believe it can deliver. 

I wouldn't call my list competitive though. 

I have seen some posts arguing for not starting with chaos spawns (cuz they are too unreliable) and another upside with this, in my perspective, is that you can then fit more unit in a battalion. 

I have plans for playing with 2 smaller battalions to be able to play with the cp refundable artifact from hysh as well.