Beastlord: Mutating Gnarlblade

Beastlord: Vocanic Axe

30 Tzaangor: 12 Greatblades, 6 Mutants, 11 Dual Blades,  1 shield, 

10 Tzaangor: 2 Mutants, 4 Greatblades, 3 Dual blades, 1 shield

10 Ungor

6 Tzaangor Enlightened on Disk

5 Centigors

5 Centigors

Looks like a pretty solid list but I think you're probably going a little too heavy into the characters. I'd drop the Volcanic Axe Beastlord for sure. I'd also probably swap out the 10 man Tzaangor unit for a few more Ungor units to give you more effective screening options. Those 2 changes free up 270 points - maybe pick up 2 Raider units for 160 and another Ungor unit for 60 - that'll leave you 50 left over for either an extra CP (always helpful) or an Endless Spell of your choosing. 

I think between the big block of Tzaangors and Enlightened you've got a solid hammer and a solid blob - using summoning should get you good backfield presence and you can use your Ungors to harass and block out the table. 

28 minutes ago, Tasman said:

He can't be used in matched play, unless you just use the model to represent a Beastlord, like I do.

Yea these limited release models may have AoS stats, but they are for the Warhammer Legends subgame that is used to emulate the original WFB faction system.

THEORETICALLY you could ask your opponent if its a friendly enough game, much like if you wanted to play Bretonnia or Tomb Kings, but generally the vast majority people are not expecting to see the old Warscrolls Compendiums being used in modern AoS Matched Play.

Aaah gotcha. Okay ill keep that in mind! I got him along side an old Doombull, 10 Bestigors and 3 Shamans (all old 2003 metal) for only about 60 USD, so if I just use the Bull as my hero slot and religate the standard guy to be my Bestigor icon holder, that still works (and looks better than the normal icon)

1 hour ago, Kazimer said:

Aaah gotcha. Okay ill keep that in mind! I got him along side an old Doombull, 10 Bestigors and 3 Shamans (all old 2003 metal) for only about 60 USD, so if I just use the Bull as my hero slot and religate the standard guy to be my Bestigor icon holder, that still works (and looks better than the normal icon)

Well you could theoretically use the standard guy as a Beastlord.

its such a beautiful model.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:26 PM, cranect said:

Doombull

2 units of 6 Bullgors

1 unit of 3 Bullgors

30 Reavers

2 Slaughterpriests the one with Axe is general with the ability to generate extra blood tithe when he kills heroes and monsters and slays at least 1 model

2 Blood Secrators 1 with the banner of Rage

5 Wrathmongers

Brass Despoilers 

Are you happy with your 6 man units?  Does it often or ever equate to more than just ablative wounds?

On 11/10/2018 at 5:24 AM, cranect said:

Sorry I forgot to put that it was 3 units of 10 reavers. No clue why I did that unit differently up above.

So you aren't taking Gore Pilgrims.  I want to combine both Wrathmongers and Gore Pilgrims on a spam of Bullgors. 

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well you could theoretically use the standard guy as a Beastlord.

its such a beautiful model.

Mine is a Bestigor BSB

So I like the 6 man units because it isnt that hard to get them all in on a target and it is normally enough hitting power to wipe the enemy unit out. They are overkill vs some things but if two overkill targets are close I can kill them all at once. The 6 allows me to go up against larger units and such and kill them more reliably. The extra wounds vs things like stardrakes also helps. I tried a whole bunch of 3 man units before but my main opponenet is ironjawz and it just seemed to allow him to always kill them peice by peice whereas the 6 sticks around with a few guys more than you would think and then still has enough to hit back very hard. I thought about the gore pilgrims but decided against it. I forget why but I have used the list a few times and it has performed very well. Against combat armies they have to hit the screen first normally and then they just get shredded.

• Like 1

Game on tonight.
Here is my Desolating Brayherd list.
I really like the Shaggoth so I have 2 in my list now.

I cant decide on if I want tow units of 20 Bestigors or 4 units of 10 , so I went with 2 units of 10 and 1 unit of 20 1f642.png:)

I plan to keep 10 with the ungors being hurled into the fire to protect the shaman and ungors there.
The Raiders and Bullgors usually ambush

Any thoughts ?

Allegiance: Beasts Of Chaos
- Greatfray: Darkwalkers

Doombull (120)
- General
- Trait: Nomadic Leader 
- Artefact: Desolate Shard

Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns

Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades

Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
- Artefact: Lightning-chained Bracers 
- Lore of Dark Storms: Hailstorm

10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Pairs of Axes

20 x Bestigors (240)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)

40 x Ungor Raiders (320)

Desolating Beastherd (150)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 157

@Keith

I would have to question the  Vicious Strangle-thorns on the Bray Shaman. Tis true that its the only spell with any real range in the Lore, but still the effect is rather meek. Are you planning to have him as your Herdstone guard hero for the sacrificing ? I suppose yes, since you are running Darkwalkers, otherwise you would want him close to the units to buff their movement speed. With that many Bestigors and Ungors I would honestly go that route so you have some fast threats alongside the slower Bulls.

Also Paired weapons on the Bulls eh.....? Honestly I would either go Shields or Great weapons. Granted the optimal setup is the Brass Desp. Bulls with shields for regular enemies, great weapons for big meaty monster. Still if you plan on going single weapon, shield is a better pick.

Same with those 10 Gors. They will most likely be camping an objective. You want those shields even if they are for combat only in case some chaff tries to clear them off. Those re-roll 1 for paired weapons is the worst weapon bonus I have seen (I miss the old +1A  it used to give in WFB, or if it at least gave +1 to Hit like Tzaangors do)

Also - Why are you putting the Desolate shard on your General ? That`s a wasted slot for your DB. Put it on the Bray Shaman or one of the Shaggoths, drop the Lightning chained Bracers and give the Doombul a proper Relic (Cleaver for chop chop, Cloak for long distance Charges).  The artifact is not "General Bound", you have to bring it, but you can plop it on anyone else in the army.

Otherwise I agree with running the bulls in 6man units. 3 is to little and to few. Honestly I wouldn't even bother with a 3 man unit and would instead bring something entirely different for those points. You are lacking in cheap objective holders. I would go with Chariots or Razorgors (depending on the amount of objectives) for that purpose so that your combat units can move forward without concern. Alternatively 2 units of 5 Centigors are also great for this, as they can hold the objective in one turn and zip half the board in another if necessary.

From my own experience 6 bulls can actually last a little and bring enough pain (buffing the living shait out of them is required though, so keep DB close and use that CP wisely) to be scary. They will get focused and they will die, but not without re-precautions, and that time while they are soaking the pain can be used to your advantage elsewhere on the board.

Edited by Myrdin

Need help making a competitive list.
Im new to beast of chaos so i really don't have any idea what i am doing with spell lores, artifacts, and lists.
Here is what i came up with .  Maybe use a Ghorgon insead of the 20 raiders for more value from the battalion?
Thoughts?

image.png

Edited by Congratz

39 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

Haven’t seen Dragon Ogres mentioned much on this thread. People have said the Bulls are overcosted for what they do so what about ogres as an alternative?

I use them regularly. 

Honestly they are a solid gap stopper for enemy units. I have talked about them few pages back, comparing the use of their weaponry. Strictly from my point of view that is. For example I find the Crusher to be a quite dissapointing weapon, while there are other people here who like it. My favorite config is the Cleaver in a Brass battalion. 3+ 3+ -1 1 with rerolling 1 to hit and a once per game wound reroll. 
Thats a gap stopper with that also has teeth.

1 hour ago, Xelotath said:

Haven’t seen Dragon Ogres mentioned much on this thread. People have said the Bulls are overcosted for what they do so what about ogres as an alternative?

My plan is to use a unit of Dragon ogres at 2000p. They are fantastic (rulewise) for 140p.

although they won’t do as much damage as enlightenment, but will hold the line much longer.

15wounds with a 4+save at only 140p Something your foe will struggle to kill at the beginning.

Also I just got them last Friday. 

They were sold out for a long time 

Ok, so I’m clutching at straws here...

ive just looked over the Warhammer legends beast men pdf.

there isn’t an entry for taurox the brass bull.

Could this be an error or could it be that hope against hope Khorne has seen fit to release him back to the mortal realms?

perhaps he was trapped in nagash’s realm and  released in the necroquake?

Pure wishlisting at best, but who knows!

2 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Could this be an error or could it be that hope against hope Khorne has seen fit to release him back to the mortal realms?

i dont think he ever had a warscroll, when aos first released it said to just use rules for doombull and that was it.

despite him being a really cool and characterful unit, which deserved a model and rules. Meanwhile joke units like greesius goldtooth made it in with rules

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Post Chapter House controversy, GW really hates having rules for Non-Models in fear of someone else making the model. Which of course is also amplified with all of GWs models being plastic, thus big investments per model.

One big example was Dark Eldar losing half their special characters simply because those guys never existed physically.

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Post Chapter House controversy, GW really hates having rules for Non-Models in fear of someone else making the model. Which of course is also amplified with all of GWs models being plastic, thus big investments per model.

One big example was Dark Eldar losing half their special characters simply because those guys never existed physically.

ahhh yes - I'd forgotten  about all that carry on.  Still a damn good excuse to bring him back with a new model though.

2 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I don't think he ever had a model, so that's why he's not in there.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:28 AM, Magnus The Blue said:

Thinking of putting together a Phantasmagoria of Fate army, mainly for conversion opportunities, but I want it to be reasonable competitive on the board too.  Would love to get people's thoughts on the list:

Gravespawn Great Fray

All in a Phantasmagoria of Fate battalion

Tzaangor Shaman: General-Unraveling Aura + Tendrils of Atrophy

Tzaangor Shaman: Vicous Stranglethorns

Great Bray Shaman: Wild Rampage

Beastlord: Mutating Gnarlblade

Beastlord: Vocanic Axe

30 Tzaangor: 12 Greatblades, 6 Mutants, 11 Dual Blades,  1 shield, 

10 Tzaangor: 2 Mutants, 4 Greatblades, 3 Dual blades, 1 shield

10 Ungor

6 Tzaangor Enlightened on Disk

5 Centigors

5 Centigors

1 drop, so should get choice of initiative turn one, which is always nice. Generally a fast army thanks to the banners (run and charge), Bray Shaman and plenty of naturally fast movement. So can alpha strike across the battlefield with most of the army if it's going to give the opponent a headache. 

Big blob of Tzaangors is cornerstone of the army, with plenty of Beastlords, Shamans and (after a few turns)  spawn to buff their damage output to awesome levels. 

10 Tzaangors will probably ambush most of the time for some backfield pressure.

Centigors, Enlightened and a Tz-shaman guard/attack the flanks.

Brayshamman and Ungor stay at the Herdstone for summoning fun.

One thought is if it's worth making the Tzaangor into two units of 20 and forget about ambushing: I should get some summons soon enough for backfield pressure.

You really need another Ungor screen for your Enlightened as well.

17 hours ago, Myrdin said:

@Keith

I would have to question the  Vicious Strangle-thorns on the Bray Shaman. Tis true that its the only spell with any real range in the Lore, but still the effect is rather meek. Are you planning to have him as your Herdstone guard hero for the sacrificing ? I suppose yes, since you are running Darkwalkers, otherwise you would want him close to the units to buff their movement speed. With that many Bestigors and Ungors I would honestly go that route so you have some fast threats alongside the slower Bulls.

Also Paired weapons on the Bulls eh.....? Honestly I would either go Shields or Great weapons. Granted the optimal setup is the Brass Desp. Bulls with shields for regular enemies, great weapons for big meaty monster. Still if you plan on going single weapon, shield is a better pick.

Same with those 10 Gors. They will most likely be camping an objective. You want those shields even if they are for combat only in case some chaff tries to clear them off. Those re-roll 1 for paired weapons is the worst weapon bonus I have seen (I miss the old +1A  it used to give in WFB, or if it at least gave +1 to Hit like Tzaangors do)

Also - Why are you putting the Desolate shard on your General ? That`s a wasted slot for your DB. Put it on the Bray Shaman or one of the Shaggoths, drop the Lightning chained Bracers and give the Doombul a proper Relic (Cleaver for chop chop, Cloak for long distance Charges).  The artifact is not "General Bound", you have to bring it, but you can plop it on anyone else in the army.

Otherwise I agree with running the bulls in 6man units. 3 is to little and to few. Honestly I wouldn't even bother with a 3 man unit and would instead bring something entirely different for those points. You are lacking in cheap objective holders. I would go with Chariots or Razorgors (depending on the amount of objectives) for that purpose so that your combat units can move forward without concern. Alternatively 2 units of 5 Centigors are also great for this, as they can hold the objective in one turn and zip half the board in another if necessary.

From my own experience 6 bulls can actually last a little and bring enough pain (buffing the living shait out of them is required though, so keep DB close and use that CP wisely) to be scary. They will get focused and they will die, but not without re-precautions, and that time while they are soaking the pain can be used to your advantage elsewhere on the board.

Vicious Stranglethorns really depends on how much terrain you see on your tables, and how large it is. At local events here we have tons of terrain everywhere, so it's amazing. I regularly get 3 units or more with it. And it's especially devastating against Sylvaneth who like to stick their Wyldwoods on objectives.

2 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Vicious Stranglethorns really depends on how much terrain you see on your tables, and how large it is. At local events here we have tons of terrain everywhere, so it's amazing. I regularly get 3 units or more with it. And it's especially devastating against Sylvaneth who like to stick their Wyldwoods on objectives.

Yeah, good point, its fairly meta dependent. At our club we tend to be fairly ....err... cheap ? conservative ? sporadic ? with it. Usually there isnt that much option to use that spell. Its not that we dont have the terrain, but somehow when it comes to AoS, unlike 40K where the table is filled with ******, everyone prefers more open plains so we can get the fighting on.