AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Skoll said:

Arent frostgrave gnolls kinda large ?

They are pretty much the same size as your avarage ungor. Even the bitz mix well as the scale is the same. In the pictures attached you can see a Gnoll Command group built using bitz from Ungor box. You can even use Gor shields (not hands and weapons thogh), which make them look quite tough (kinda gives off the viking shield wall vibe :D ).

Honestly, I love those little buggers. Once painted they can easily hold their own next to your other Beastmen.

20181120_175624.jpg

20181120_175720.jpg

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

They are pretty much the same size as your avarage ungor. Even the bitz mix well as the scale is the same. In the pictures attached you can see a Gnoll Command group built using bitz from Ungor box. You can even use Gor shields (not hands and weapons thogh), which make them look quite tough (kinda gives off the viking shield wall vibe :D ).

Honestly, I love those little buggers. Once painted they can easily hold their own next to your other Beastmen.

20181120_175624.jpg

20181120_175720.jpg

That is really cool actually. I actually like knolls far better than ungors and gors.

And im running an all wolf themed beastmen army, so you basically just saved me a ton of work.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skoll said:

That is really cool actually. I actually like knolls far better than ungors and gors.

And im running an all wolf themed beastmen army, so you basically just saved me a ton of work.

Huuu I like that !
I always wanted to make a full werewolf themed army since I love them humanoid puppers a lot. Glad I could be of help, hope your werewolf/wolf/gnoll army comes togather nicely !

5 hours ago, Myrdin said:

BoC has quite the plethora of viable lists. Maybe not all of them super tournament competitive, but in a regular semi competitive game there most of the stuff in various combinations is quite viable.

I have yet to play a game with the same identical list twice.

As for Ungors - the only thing excluding is the Brass Despoilers, but otherwise they are quite good objective campers and herdstone sacrifices. Plus in big enough numbers they can screen rather nicely for those whole two units in our army that have range 2" (because of course huge bull monsters with two handed weapons are 1" !...... *salt increasing*). Personally I would not proxy Ungors for Gors (one of the reasons is the fact that your are not proxing them with a third party models but the actual Ungor/Gor ones, which can cause some unnecessary confusion)

For Ungors I personally use the Frostgrave Gnolls, who are essentially filling out 90% of all my Ungors the last 10% are the actual ungors which came from the old battalion box back in the day. The Gnolls are nice simple sculpts with enough variaty in poses heads and weapons + they come in box of 20 for 20 bucks. Absolute steal ! They dont have horns, but add in a bit more variety being a different type of a beastmen.

It is in fact the brass despoilers im working with here :)

11 hours ago, Myrdin said:

20181120_175624.jpg

20181120_175720.jpg

How legal is this for tournaments if the rest is actually bits from GW models.  I am in the process of a wolf beast army build and looking for all the insight i can get. 

@Skoll@Myrdin

1 minute ago, Logan8054 said:

How legal is this for tournaments if the rest is actually bits from GW models.  I am in the process of a wolf beast army build and looking for all the insight i can get. 

@Skoll@Myrdin

Well mine is all legal so far. Its minotaurs with thunderwolf cavalry heads. The doombull has one from a privateer press warpwolf, which meets the former 60% gw requirement for playing at gw stores and sanctioned tournament.

As far as outside gw specific tournaments (so basically anything outside warhammer world and local gw store tourneys). Most tournaments have people running around with tons of third party bits or even third party armies.

Id say if you want to play it absolutely safe get the gnolls and take the heads only. 20 bucks for 20 heads + arm bits and weapons is still pretty much a steal.

This is two conversions i am working on, minitaur on the right, and then demon prince based off of the old bloodthirster body. Apologies for not so great phone camera quality .

Edit: the mino is just blue tac temporarily to see how far down i have to shave neck for it to fit.

received_341469249740042.jpeg

Edited by Skoll

Yeah pretty much. 

Unless its a GW only tournament, you are safe. And considering most tournaments re mostly small local ones, with occasional big one (at least here in Europe) in between, I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Some of the lads from our gaming group went to Germany last year for a tournament and there were all sorts of armies. Heck there was a dude who had entire Lizardmen army made of hand sculpted lizards .... very derp looking lizards..... very VERY derpy looking lizards :D

So yeah, you are safe even if you use the whole gnoll model. Personally my army consists of Bullgors from Mierce Miniatures. My dragon Ogers are those pig riders from MM as well. My demon prince (though I might yet change my mind and make it into Shaggoth) is from Cadwallon. My second one is from "the Edge" table top game - Oracle of Wrath model,  etc etc.

I love the non uniformed look this gives my Beastmen, and honestly I personally dont care about any GW related tournaments so Win Win. Those tournaments I have either attended (small local ones) or want to attend (bigger ones around the EU) > none of them is "GW miniatures only" so, yeah. 

Consider what and where you want to partake in, and if the place/event doesnt have an issue with it, no need to stress and limit yourself when you are on a creative streak with your army ;) 

Edited by Myrdin

I've been reading this thread and doing lots of math-hammer for a new beasts of chaos army I'm thinking building and it seems to me like Centigors are one of the most overlooked unit in the book.  They are very resilient (for their cost), have a decent offensive output (especially when drunk and charging), 2" range on their spear and one of the longest charge ranges in the game.  As Brayherd they can also ambush (meh, too fast to care), get buffed by Beastlords (great when not charging) and even get more movement from a Great Brayshaman.

I'm thinking 2-3 units of 10 would make a solid vanguard force gumming up the opponent's flanks for a turn or two, or even combined with some Enlightened for a nasty alpha strike- Centigors lock units in place for the Enlightened to slaughter.

Potentially a few 5 beast units to claim early objectives away from the main battle-line without missing out on the fun later in the game. 

I can see the large base size being annoying but at least it's oval and they have those spears for poking for a distance.  Am I missing something or are people just avoiding the expensive finecast minatures?

40 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

I've been reading this thread and doing lots of math-hammer for a new beasts of chaos army I'm thinking building and it seems to me like Centigors are one of the most overlooked unit in the book. 

They aren't technically overlooked, they are quite punchy for their points! Combat wise they are completely superior to warhounds. Under Brass Despoilers they are scary accurate when they drink.

It's just that it's hard to get them without forking over ludicrous amounts of cash! (other armies also suffer from this, like Seraphon Artillery beasts)

Hopefully the popularity boost of BoC creates more plastic minis, but I'm not sure if gw is gonna do any "mid season" plastic updates for a book that would be a year old. (I mean Seraphon still hasn't gotten a single new kit, not even a plastic conversion)

The Daemon thing is a different story! It's also half 40k!

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

I've been reading this thread and doing lots of math-hammer for a new beasts of chaos army I'm thinking building and it seems to me like Centigors are one of the most overlooked unit in the book. 

They're a rock solid unit. That said I've tried them in large numbers and never been in impressed. I use mine in 5s just to run and grab objectives or charge light shooting units and the like. Their base size is a bit unwieldy and can be very hard to get wholly within for the GBS if they get too big. But as you said they are incredibly fast and relatively punchy - I normally use 2 units of 5 in many of my lists as very early game missiles and to deal with things like LoN dogs.

1 hour ago, SwampHeart said:

They're a rock solid unit. That said I've tried them in large numbers and never been in impressed. I use mine in 5s just to run and grab objectives or charge light shooting units and the like. Their base size is a bit unwieldy and can be very hard to get wholly within for the GBS if they get too big. But as you said they are incredibly fast and relatively punchy - I normally use 2 units of 5 in many of my lists as very early game missiles and to deal with things like LoN dogs.

Well they look fantastic (rule and model wise) although 60USdollars for 5of them seems to be a expensive purchase.😅

28 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well they look fantastic (rule and model wise) although 60USdollars for 5of them seems to be a expensive purchase.😅

I actually don't like the GW models, I'm converting mine out of Marauder Horsemen horses and Gor bodies. Its a big time intensive but its easy green stuff work. 

I´ve been using small units of 5 as well. The lack of Rending and further staying power behind 1st turn is something that is noticable. Dont expect big units to hold for long despite 2W each, they will crumble through Battleshock.

However small fast units are great for harrasing your opponents back line, ranged units and warmachines, and for clearing enemy chaff, like the above mentioned undead puppers.

Would be great if they didnt skimp out all of the characters from our army. We could have a Centigor Chief running around with them and buffing them with its command ability.  Ah well, I still keep my hopes for some new future releases, be it old units with shiny new models (centigors would be prime for this) or some new units like some of our named characters making a return (I mean who wouldnt like Kolek Sun Eater, the ancient of all Shaggots to make a comeback ?!)

For me personally Gorthor, Malagor, Kolek and Ghorros would be the top pic. Though honestly, seeing the new sculpts from AoS I think Slugtongue and Moonclaw on Umbralok (oooh beiby) might look insanely cool if they ever received models (and solid rules to go with them.

2 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

I´ve been using small units of 5 as well. The lack of Rending and further staying power behind 1st turn is something that is noticable. Dont expect big units to hold for long despite 2W each, they will crumble through Battleshock.

However small fast units are great for harrasing your opponents back line, ranged units and warmachines, and for clearing enemy chaff, like the above mentioned undead puppers.

Would be great if they didnt skimp out all of the characters from our army. We could have a Centigor Chief running around with them and buffing them with its command ability.  Ah well, I still keep my hopes for some new future releases, be it old units with shiny new models (centigors would be prime for this) or some new units like some of our named characters making a return (I mean who wouldnt like Kolek Sun Eater, the ancient of all Shaggots to make a comeback ?!)

For me personally Gorthor, Malagor, Kolek and Ghorros would be the top pic. Though honestly, seeing the new sculpts from AoS I think Slugtongue and Moonclaw on Umbralok (oooh beiby) might look insanely cool if they ever received models (and solid rules to go with them.

I mean at this point it would be nice to receive ANY new models, the quality in sculpts and dynamics of the poses has increased by leaps and bounds since we last got something.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skoll said:

I mean at this point it would be nice to receive ANY new models, the quality in sculpts and dynamics of the poses has increased by leaps and bounds since we last got something.

Don’t worry, there is still a chance of this happening, after all stormcast are losing in popularity (must be those 50unused units)

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Centigors are the ultimate 'threat' unit in the army. A low drop army with centigors means your opponent has to assume 1st turn charge, potentially even around an initial screen. They charge 14" + 3" for GBS + D6+1 run + 2D6 charge (18+3D6, 95% chance of rolling 6 or more), and for a control point, you can make that 24+2D6" (to reliably hit back line units).

In a nurgle army, you can add 3 to those totals for a GUO (and potentially 2 more on the wheel), and you can boost the unit offensively with blades of putrification (if you drink, 5's and 6's to hit cause a mortal wound).

Centigors are a great unit.

Edited by decker_cky

9 hours ago, Skoll said:

Well technically we got the endless spells!

Has anyone done any conversion work on the WildfireTaurus?

Just in case some people dont know - There is a 30% off product discount going on at Mierce Miniatures due to BFriday. 

To claim the discount use the Voucher code: BLAEC-FRIDAY-2018

(I dont think the code is limited per single persn as this has been sent to all who apply for newsletter )

If you ever wanted to add some flavor to your beastmen, now would be a good time as usually the stuff from MM is very expensive (even more so then GWs) and without a discount I wouldn't touch it with a stick, unless I REALLY wanted something. With -30% off it actually becomes a fairly reasonable deal.  I got some of their Bestigors and the mounted beastmen to use as proxy Dragon Ogors.

2 hours ago, Congratz said:

Did "Twisting Catacombs" stop the Minotaur Horde thing?
I wanted to buy some of the models, however i could not buy or pledge on the kickstarter...
Anybody knows what's going on or if i am looking the wrong place

Kickstarter ended a long time ago. They are still delivering the models to backers, and will stock them in the store sometime in the next couple months.

2 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Kickstarter ended a long time ago. They are still delivering the models to backers, and will stock them in the store sometime in the next couple months.

They said it would be on the webstore come December when i messaged them

Thinking of putting together a Phantasmagoria of Fate army, mainly for conversion opportunities, but I want it to be reasonable competitive on the board too.  Would love to get people's thoughts on the list:

Gravespawn Great Fray

All in a Phantasmagoria of Fate battalion

Tzaangor Shaman: General-Unraveling Aura + Tendrils of Atrophy

Tzaangor Shaman: Vicous Stranglethorns

Great Bray Shaman: Wild Rampage

Beastlord: Mutating Gnarlblade

Beastlord: Vocanic Axe

30 Tzaangor: 12 Greatblades, 6 Mutants, 11 Dual Blades,  1 shield, 

10 Tzaangor: 2 Mutants, 4 Greatblades, 3 Dual blades, 1 shield

10 Ungor

6 Tzaangor Enlightened on Disk

5 Centigors

5 Centigors

1 drop, so should get choice of initiative turn one, which is always nice. Generally a fast army thanks to the banners (run and charge), Bray Shaman and plenty of naturally fast movement. So can alpha strike across the battlefield with most of the army if it's going to give the opponent a headache. 

Big blob of Tzaangors is cornerstone of the army, with plenty of Beastlords, Shamans and (after a few turns)  spawn to buff their damage output to awesome levels. 

10 Tzaangors will probably ambush most of the time for some backfield pressure.

Centigors, Enlightened and a Tz-shaman guard/attack the flanks.

Brayshamman and Ungor stay at the Herdstone for summoning fun.

One thought is if it's worth making the Tzaangor into two units of 20 and forget about ambushing: I should get some summons soon enough for backfield pressure.