AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

21 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well Slaanesh isn’t bad either since their allegiance will allow your beastlord or Doombull etc. To take a command trait and artefact.

dont the slaanesh traits have keyword locks like khorne does?

1 hour ago, Mjolnertf said:

Hello everyone, I recently started this magnificent faction, but I'm lost with so many troop options, what is playing more? I do not like Tzeentch's things, any advice will be appreciated

Hi mate, first of all welcome to beasts of chaos. They are amazingly fun to play. Before I give advice, I’ll start by saying BOC isn’t a faction that is renown for hitting hard. It’s a finesse faction that’s all about board control and using its tricks (ambush) to great potential.

right, in regards to your question about what’s currently best isn’t the question you should be asking. We have 3 avenues to choose, WARHERD, BRAYHERD and THUNDERSCORN.  Each avenues are great. 

WARHERD: less durable, hit like trucks and can also ambush when taking WARHERD units in a darkwalkers greatfray. Great monsters too. This is my favourite.

BRAYHERD: angry goats that are crazy quick on their feet, flood objectives in vast numbers. Bestigors and ungor raiders are top quality. Also, you can play horde army or multiple small units. I prefer MSU as it’s more flexible and your not keeping your eggs in one basket type of thing. 

THUNDERSCORN: angry ogres that shoot lightning out their arses. Quite durable, fast and can hit hard. 

I’d  recommend starting with what you feel suites you better. Or what looks better to you. Like I said, WARHERD I play 90% of the time due to their aesthetic and also brutal combat potential.  All avenues are viable in this book, something not a lot of factions have as there’s always a go to list. Pick and mix units to suite you, you’ll have a blast. 

Unfirtubately, tzeentch are quite strong in BOC currently. Like you, I don’t like the tzeentch aesthetic so I stay away.

I recommend WARHERD. Throw in some ungirvraiders and bestigors in a WARHERD heavy list and watch the blood run. Good luck mate! BOC are amazing.

Edited by Dracothjay
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Pangu said:

With nurgle you can take Tamurkhans Horde allegiance which gives you a great bonus ability, -1 to run and charge for opponents, and still allows a Beastmen general to get a artifact and trait(even if they are pretty poor). 

Strictly speaking, Tamurkhans horde requires everything to be from the Maggotkin of Nurgle battletome or Tamurkhan PDF (no pestilens, beasts of chaos, slaves to darkness, etc.. unless allied). It is, admittedly, extremely poorly written.

"Designer’s Note: A Tamurkhan’s Horde army can include any of the units from Battletome: Maggotkin of Nurgle, as well as any of the units in this Compendium. By the same token, a Maggotkin of Nurgle army can include any of the units from this Compendium even if it is not a Tamurkhan’s Horde army"

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/aos_warscrolls/warhammer-aos-tamurkhans-horde.pdf

• Like 2

Hey guys, I recently picked up a sale on twitter of a Tzeentch army and wanted to use them in my BoC.

I have yet to play but how does this look?

Allegiance: Beasts Of Chaos
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General
- Trait: Shadowpelt 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Wild Rampage
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide

Battleline
30 x Tzaangors (480)
30 x Tzaangors (480)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (280)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 200

Ten drops but I'm not caring if I go first or second so it's no big deal. Shaman is -2 to hit from items, -3 with look out sir. Two big blocks of Tzaangor one for holding my backfield and one for pushing. Two units of bestigor to ambush maybe..missiles basically. 10 ungor for the alter and 10 to run with the enlightened to do a double charge (DoomandDarkness tm) and the two shamans to dish out +3 to move to the big blocks.

What I bought had 90 tzaangor but I thought that a tad overkill...thoughts on my theory? I'm not very experienced on the table so it may suck!

34 minutes ago, Lardidar said:

Hey guys, I recently picked up a sale on twitter of a Tzeentch army and wanted to use them in my BoC.

I have yet to play but how does this look?

Allegiance: Beasts Of Chaos
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General
- Trait: Shadowpelt 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Wild Rampage
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide

Battleline
30 x Tzaangors (480)
30 x Tzaangors (480)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (280)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 200

Ten drops but I'm not caring if I go first or second so it's no big deal. Shaman is -2 to hit from items, -3 with look out sir. Two big blocks of Tzaangor one for holding my backfield and one for pushing. Two units of bestigor to ambush maybe..missiles basically. 10 ungor for the alter and 10 to run with the enlightened to do a double charge (DoomandDarkness tm) and the two shamans to dish out +3 to move to the big blocks.

What I bought had 90 tzaangor but I thought that a tad overkill...thoughts on my theory? I'm not very experienced on the table so it may suck!

I think you really need some shooting: either Raiders or Skyfires. It will allow you to remove screens or target key units behind the screens. 

So here is some theory crafting and experimental list building for those who enjoy these sort of things like I do.

How to make Skyfires ACTUALLY work ?

After discussing them with Pandamina (I think) last time I let that thought of using Skyfires roll around for a while and giving it some time, and thinking "outside the horned box" I came to a conclusion that you can make Skyfires work, and to a great effect.... at least on paper, that is (need to test it out, but all my Tzaangors atm, ale unasembled, and while I dont mind proxy playing one unit, proxying hafl the army is a no go for me.)

But to achieve that effect, you would have to drop that which makes BoC .... well.... BoC .... and that is the Allegiance. 

This is a experimental CHAOS list that I put together, that emphasizes the use of Tzaangors, and works primarily against ORDER

Tzaangor Shaman - Dark Avenger 

*All units withing 10" get +1 to hit against ORDER. If you are not fighting Order, you can go with Lord Of War trait, though that one is much less reliable and much much less effective. But its usable against Death and Destruction soo... you know

2 Bray Shamans to give the army that necessary speed.

With magic you want either Wild Rampage, or Tendrils of Atrophy, since you will be sticking close to your units, the short range of those spell should not matter much.

For artefact I dont really care what it would be for this setup. If you so please, you can always take one Shaman as "BoC ally" and give him the Knowing Eye to get a chance at those extra CP. Alternatively since the Tzaan Shaman will attract a LOT of attention due to his buffs, giving him +1W might be also a good idea.

2x20 Ungor screeen who will die gloriously as martyrs, absorbing the charge from enemy units :D 

2x6 Dismounted Tzaangor Enlightened. The "Beef" (or feathers ?) of the army. You know, standing behind the Ungors, bashing enemies with their staffs with their 2"

2x3 Skyfires. These guys will stick to that 10" bubble Aura of yous Shaman like your finger stick to each other after your new unused super glue decides to explode and transform your hand from 5 fingers into a single glued claw (seriously, always be careful when first opening a new glue).

the last 80 points can be filled with 2 razorgors to hug objective.

Yes this is a 1500 list. For 2K you can throw in some regular infantry Tzaangors to pad out the front lines, or add whatever else your black heart pleases (two chimeras can be pretty scarey and will definitely take the heat of your Tzaan General)

The point is that as long as your Tzaan Shaman is alive, your surrounding Enlightened and Skyfires all hit on 2+  Which is pure insanity. even more so if you get to benefit from your Enlightened re-rolls, which will happen at least once/twice, as the ungors will go first if you charged, or the enemy will if they charged.  And with your Skyfires shooting at 2+ as long as they remain withing the range of their Shaman, you should get plenty of leeway from them, might even try and snipe characters off the board since even with the whole -1 to hit from Look out sir, that would only negate the first +1 to hit buff, dropping them to 3+ and 2+ for the unit leader, instead of 2+ for the whole unit.

I mean all of this is pure theory crafting, in how to get the most out of your Tzaangors, especially Skyfires who normally struggle much more to pay for their upkeep (200+ pts per unit).

Edited by Myrdin

26 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

So here is some theory crafting and experimental list building for those who enjoy these sort of things like I do.

After discussing them with Pandamina (I think) last time I let that thought of using Skyfires roll around for a while and giving it some time, and thinking "outside the horned box" I came to a conclusion that you can make Skyfires work, and to a great effect.... at least on paper, that is (need to test it out, but all my Tzaangors atm, ale unasembled, and while I dont mind proxy playing one unit, proxying hafl the army is a no go for me.)

But to achieve that effect, you would have to drop that which makes BoC .... well.... BoC .... and that is the Allegiance. 

This is a experimental CHAOS list that I put together, that emphasizes the use of Tzaangors, and works primarily against ORDER

*All units withing 10" get +1 to hit against ORDER. If you are not fighting Order, you can go with Lord Of War trait, though that one is much less reliable and much much less effective. But its usable against Death and Destruction soo... you know

With magic you want either Wild Rampage, or Tendrils of Atrophy, since you will be sticking close to your units, the short range of those spell should not matter much.

For artefact I dont really care what it would be for this setup. If you so please, you can always take one Shaman as "BoC ally" and give him the Knowing Eye to get a chance at those extra CP. Alternatively since the Tzaan Shaman will attract a LOT of attention due to his buffs, giving him +1W might be also a good idea.

2x20 Ungor screeen who will die gloriously as martyrs, absorbing the charge from enemy units  

2x6 Dismounted Tzaangor Enlightened. The "Beef" (or feathers ?) of the army. You know, standing behind the Ungors, bashing enemies with their staffs with their 2"

2x3 Skyfires. These guys will stick to that 10" bubble Aura of yous Shaman like your finger stick to each other after your new unused super glue decides to explode and transform your hand from 5 fingers into a single glued claw (seriously, always be careful when first opening a new glue).

Yes this is a 1500 list. For 2K you can throw in some regular infantry Tzaangors to pad out the front lines, or add whatever else your black heart pleases (two chimeras can be pretty scarey and will definitely take the heat of your Tzaan General)

The point is that as long as your Tzaan Shaman is alive, your surrounding Enlightened and Skyfires all hit on 2+  Which is pure insanity. even more so if you get to benefit from your Enlightened re-rolls, which will happen at least once/twice, as the ungors will go first if you charged, or the enemy will if they charged.  And with your Skyfires shooting at 2+ as long as they remain withing the range of their Shaman, you should get plenty of leeway from them, might even try and snipe characters off the board since even with the whole -1 to hit from Look out sir, that would only negate the first +1 to hit buff, dropping them to 3+ and 2+ for the unit leader, instead of 2+ for the whole unit.

I mean all of this is pure theory crafting, in how to get the most out of your Tzaangors, especially Skyfires who normally struggle much more to pay for their upkeep (200+ pts per unit).

Ähm I’m very sorry in informing you about The Dark avenger.

but Gw changed the rule for it.

now it states that only your general with the dark avenger trait gets a +1to the hit roles against order units.

Yeah it’s funny how much worse the grand allegiance got??

Edited by Skreech Verminking

53 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

2x20 Ungor screeen who will die gloriously as martyrs, absorbing the charge from enemy units :D 

Skyfires are already good---you don't need any special shenanigans to make them work.  I recently won a tournament with Beasts of Chaos using mostly Enlightened, Tzaangor Shaman, Skyfires, Ungor screens, and a Shaggoth.

Skyfires' ranged damage is lower on average compared to a block of 30+ Raiders, but their ranged output is very spikey, and has incredible 24" range. The great thing about Skyfires is their amazing speed and good melee output when activating first. Their profile doesn't look that scary until you activate them before the enemy and they reroll everything. A unit of 6 Skyfires charging will wreck many dedicated melee units and heroes. They are excellent at taking objectives that your opponent has not fully committed to.

Essentially, just think of them as a ranged cavalry unit, like Dragoons, and use them appropriately. Ranged cavalry lacks the fire-power of rank-and-file infantry, but has great maneuverability and if needed, can easily charge down undefended units and wipe them out, because you're still riding a massive powerful animal at speed.

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign
  • Like 1

My issue with Skyfires is that you NEED that 180 pts Shaman to tag along for them to do anything. 
But I like your comparison of them being light cavalry. In that context it does make sense to me. And I suppose they might be effective Warmachine/Ranged units hunters while also shooting at stuff.

But I will not buy into their melee factor against melee dedicated unit or heroes. Against archers, war machines etc, I can see them being very effective, just like what Harpies used to be back in the WFB. Against "real" combat units, them hitting and wounding on 5+ even with rerolls is nothing to write home about, and the discs, while better (4+/3+-1) are way unpredictable. In a unit of 6, where you get 6 D3 attacks, yeah maybe, but MSU 3 bird squads.... no. On average its not that impressive.

Damn.... such a shame that Dark Avenger is such a blunder. I wish we had some traits and artefacts that are actually dedicated to consistent buffing. While the Brayblast Trumpet is fun, being a one use only item is really not that impressive. 

(I tried it with a blob of 40 ungor archers, and as mentioned, its fun, but it lasts only one turn. Might be fun with a unit of 2x3 Skyfires and a Tzaan shaman, but thats 580 pts just for that.... ughh. Though it might be more feasible to pull off than 2 Cygors due to the unit footprint.). 

Edited by Myrdin

22 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

My issue with Skyfires is that you NEED that 180 pts Shaman to tag along for them to do anything. 
But I like your comparison of them being light cavalry. In that context it does make sense to me. And I suppose they might be effective Warmachine/Ranged units hunters while also shooting at stuff.

But I will not buy into their melee factor against melee dedicated unit or heroes. Against archers, war machines etc, I can see them being very effective, just like what Harpies used to be back in the WFB. Against "real" combat units, them hitting and wounding on 5+ even with rerolls is nothing to write home about, and the discs, while better (4+/3+-1) are way unpredictable. In a unit of 6, where you get 6 D3 attacks, yeah maybe, but MSU 3 bird squads.... no. On average its not that impressive.

Damn.... such a shame that Dark Avenger is such a blunder. I wish we had some traits and artefacts that are actually dedicated to consistent buffing. While the Brayblast Trumpet is fun, being a one use only item is really not that impressive. 

(I tried it with a blob of 40 ungor archers, and as mentioned, its fun, but it lasts only one turn. Might be fun with a unit of 2x3 Skyfires and a Tzaan shaman, but thats 580 pts just for that.... ughh. Though it might be more feasible than 2 Cygors due to the unit footprint.). 

Skyfires should almost always be used in a big unit of 6, rather than split up into MSU's. They count on going first in combat, and with the way alternating activation works in AoS, you need to have them in one group if you're planning to make the most of them. 

Also, the Tzaangor Shaman is one of the best heroes in the book, so taking him is absolutely not a tax. 

Just do the math to see how effective Skyfires are in melee. With their rerolls, deal 2.534 wounds per model, before saves, and most of that damage (1.5) is at rend -1. 6 Skyfires are getting you 15.204 wounds before saves if they go first, and 9 of those wounds are at rend -1.  Against a 4+ save, that's 9.102 wounds dealt on average after saves. 

If you shoot first to soften up your target, you are easily wiping  many monsters and heroes off the board. You might not drop Alarielle at full health, but if she's already injured, you have a pretty good shot. In the Doom & Darkness battle reports they finished off Nagash, who still had a decent chunk of health left.

For comparison, 10 Bestigors are dealing 10 wounds before saves on the charge against a generic unit (not assuming order or 10+ models), or 6.67 if they did not charge. 

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Skyfires should almost always be used in a big unit of 6, rather than split up into MSU's. They count on going first in combat, and with the way alternating activation works in AoS, you need to have them in one group if you're planning to make the most of them. 

Also, the Tzaangor Shaman is one of the best heroes in the book, so taking him is absolutely not a tax. 

Just do the math to see how effective Skyfires are in melee. With their rerolls, deal 2.534 wounds per model, before saves, and most of that damage (1.5) is at rend -1. 6 Skyfires are getting you 15.204 wounds before saves if they go first, and 9 of those wounds are at rend -1.  Against a 4+ save, that's 9.102 wounds dealt on average after saves. 

If you shoot first to soften up your target, you are easily wiping  many monsters and heroes off the board. You might not drop Alarielle at full health, but if she's already injured, you have a pretty good shot. In the Doom & Darkness battle reports they finished off Nagash, who still had a decent chunk of health left.

Literally just what i said couple of pages ago. Even mentioned how Skyfires finished off Nagash...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

For comparison, 10 Bestigors are dealing 10 wounds before saves on the charge against a generic unit (not assuming order or 10+ models), or 6.67 if they did not charge. 

Sounds interesting.

just one question, are you comparing a 400p unit (6skyfires) with a 120p unit (10Bestigors)?

No offense skydive definitely have potential, if rightly used, but still I’m not sure if you should compare 400p with like 120p.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Sounds interesting.

just one question, are you comparing a 400p unit (6skyfires) with a 120p unit (10Bestigors)?

No offense skydive definitely have potential, if rightly used, but still I’m not sure if you should compare 400p with like 120p.

Plus if you compare them to Enlightened who are 120 pts cheaper when in a unit of 6 (that price difference is LITERALLY an extra unit of Bestigors), those can deal more damage still, even without the rerolls. If you get those, they will not justf "finish off" big stuff like Nagash. They will "wipe stuff of the board period".

Just for imagination - 3 of these guys wiped a unit of 5 Demigryph Knights. WITHOUT re-rolls or Tzaan shaman. Yes I rolled really well, but still. Thats 20 Wounds 4+ reroll 1 Save, just "poof"... gone.
So yeah, I mean, its cool and all, but compared to Enlightened, for those 200 pts, I just dont feel them. They could be good with lower cost, but as they are now, they are overpriced and that fact can not be disputed.

Edited by Myrdin

22 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Hi mate, first of all welcome to beasts of chaos. They are amazingly fun to play. Before I give advice, I’ll start by saying BOC isn’t a faction that is renown for hitting hard. It’s a finesse faction that’s all about board control and using its tricks (ambush) to great potential.

right, in regards to your question about what’s currently best isn’t the question you should be asking. We have 3 avenues to choose, WARHERD, BRAYHERD and THUNDERSCORN.  Each avenues are great. 

WARHERD: less durable, hit like trucks and can also ambush when taking WARHERD units in a darkwalkers greatfray. Great monsters too. This is my favourite.

BRAYHERD: angry goats that are crazy quick on their feet, flood objectives in vast numbers. Bestigors and ungor raiders are top quality. Also, you can play horde army or multiple small units. I prefer MSU as it’s more flexible and your not keeping your eggs in one basket type of thing. 

THUNDERSCORN: angry ogres that shoot lightning out their arses. Quite durable, fast and can hit hard. 

I’d  recommend starting with what you feel suites you better. Or what looks better to you. Like I said, WARHERD I play 90% of the time due to their aesthetic and also brutal combat potential.  All avenues are viable in this book, something not a lot of factions have as there’s always a go to list. Pick and mix units to suite you, you’ll have a blast. 

Unfirtubately, tzeentch are quite strong in BOC currently. Like you, I don’t like the tzeentch aesthetic so I stay away.

I recommend WARHERD. Throw in some ungirvraiders and bestigors in a WARHERD heavy list and watch the blood run. Good luck mate! BOC are amazing.

Thank you very much for the job, I will start BRAYHERD is the one that attracts me most of the moment, and telling me my answers.

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Sounds interesting.

The point was just to rebut the argument that Skyfires are an ineffective melee unit. The Bestigors just provide a convenient frame of reference for Beasts of Chaos players because they've been around for ages, were considered good, and now received a buff. The point value is irrelevant. Skyfires play a very different and unique role to Bestigors anyway. They're the  dragoons crossed with snipers (due to their range) whereas the Bestigors are heavy infantry (arguably crossed with heavy cavalry because of their charge bonus and speed). 

Also, if you like the 10 Bestigors are just the ones attacking; the unit might have 30 models, but you would very, very rarely be able to get 30 into melee unless you string them out and charge a unit that itself has been strung out.  The most I've personally gotten into melee on the initial charge since the book dropped is about 16 or 15, and often I get 10 or less. Depends on your local meta and what sort of armies you're facing, and what sort of terrain is on the board, etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Also, if you like the 10 Bestigors are just the ones attacking; the unit might have 30 models, but you would very, very rarely be able to get 30 into melee unless you string them out and charge a unit that itself has been strung out.  The most I've personally gotten into melee on the initial charge since the book dropped is about 16 or 15, and often I get 10 or less. Depends on your local meta and what sort of armies you're facing, and what sort of terrain is on the board, etc.

Oh ok sorry for the misunderstanding, I really am with you in this case. Even with the point increase for the sky fire, I also believe that they still have some worth left. I still see a potential for them in sniping key character who ride big Monsters or are one themself. They can also snipe of those very irritating artillerie units like the stormcast now have. 

As for 30Bestigors,

I’ll happily accept your challenge, I am after all the master of Hordes, The Verminlord hated by all Beard-things, feared under foolish small Green-things and respected by their biggger brethren’s, “SKREECH VERMINKING”

should I manage to get all of my 30Bestigors into combat I’ll happily send you guys a picture, oh and don’t worry those guys are definitely not on 25mm bases like my Gors (??no wonder they did so well)

but this’ll probably need some time since I only own 20of those Bestigors right now?

Blood for the brass bull,

Skulls for the skull Throne.