AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

39 minutes ago, markymarkka said:

Is it legal to ally a Khorne Demon Prince? I thought the only legal ally was Slaves to Darkness or something.

When you Ally a DP from SoD, you can select one of the 4 Marks for him, or leave him unmarked.

Each of the options gives him a little something something. No mark - if you kill stuff you get 1 W back, if its a hero or Monster you get D3 W back.
Khorne +1 to hit, Nurgle +1 to Save, Slaanesh - can pile up and attack before the enemy during their turn, but can not attack twice, Tzeentch - becomes a Wizard, 1 cast 1 unbind, Arcane Bolt Mystic Shield.

So yes, you absolutely can. I was considering the Slaaneshi one, but the Khorne one with a Demon Axe is to good to ignore. Thought about brinking a DB instead and have extra 40 pts, but the fact that this guy can fly and is faster swayed me to try him out.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Myrdin said:

When you Ally a DP from SoD, you can select one of the 4 Marks for him, or leave him unmarked.

Each of the options gives him a little something something. No mark - if you kill stuff you get 1 W back, if its a hero or Monster you get D3 W back.
Khorne +1 to hit, Nurgle +1 to Save, Slaanesh - can pile up and attack before the enemy during their turn, but can not attack twice, Tzeentch - becomes a Wizard, 1 cast 1 unbind, Arcane Bolt Mystic Shield.

So yes, you absolutely can. I was considering the Slaaneshi one, but the Khorne one with a Demon Axe is to good to ignore. Thought about brinking a DB instead and have extra 40 pts, but the fact that this guy can fly and is faster swayed me to try him out.

He's a really nice tanky flying character which obviously helps in certain scenarios. I often make mine Tzeentch (not just because I'm already running Tzeentch BoC) because then he's a flying character wizard so he's a great addition for 3 Places, Duality and the like. 

Going to a tournament tomorrow morning with the following list. The whole thing is set in the realm of metal and we get one spell per wizard, so that's in the list. I'll try post up a report on how this went after. Lets hope for not last :P 

Allegiance: Beasts Of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Mortal Realm: Chamon
Beastlord (90)
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
- Realm of metal spell: Curse of rust
- Realm of metal spell: Transmutation of Lead
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
- Realm of metal spell: Transmutation
- Realm of metal spell: Transmutation of Lead
30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Gors (210)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
30 x Gors (210)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Axes & Bullshields
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
Ghorgon (200)
Desolating Beastherd (150)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 178

100% honestly? I have them made and painted while my only ungors are raiders :P

This army was mostly from my old 8th ed beastmen force. I have them all round based since AoS started, but they were pretty weak, so, till the new book came out they saw little play.

As for the use of gors, mostly they hold objectives, tie things up(I found 30 bodies with a 4+ save can make a nuisance of themselves). As I build on the army I do plan to get two units of 40 ungors.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 hours ago, Myrdin said:

for those extra 40 points the khorne one blows the doombull out of the water

On 11/1/2018 at 3:27 PM, Pangu said:

Taken from a raw stats perspective bullgors are a little overcosted. But, thats true of the majority of 50mm infantry units. They also have some of the least synergy in the book and an allegiance ability that does almost nothing for the unit. Unless bullgors fill a specific Need in your list or you really like their aesthetic they are generally a sub-optimal choice. That does not mean that Bullgors are unplayable or cant be part of a competitive list. (obviously, can we please stop being pedantic and require everyone to tag their posts with YMMV style statements).

One thing on the bullgors that give them a fairly decent advantage over gors/bestigors is that 6 fit comfortable in alot of the same situations where you can only get 10 bestigors into a fight. In this way bullgors and do some significant damage, and even more so when getting gavespawn buffs. 

18 hours ago, Skoll said:

for those extra 40 points the khorne one blows the doombull out of the water

I wouldnt necessarily say that. 1 less rend, and D3 instead of 3 damage is quite a big difference.
To me however the utility of fly and actual 2" range of his Demon axe is what makes it seem worth the extra points.

Edited by Myrdin

9 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

I wouldnt necessarily say that. 1 less rend, and D3 instead of 3 damage is quite a big difference.
To me however the utility of fly and actual 2" range of his Demon axe is what makes it seem worth the extra points.

If you go with sword it is 1 less rend and hitting on 2s .

The claw attacks are also completely superior to horn attacks.

On 11/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, peasant said:

today Ive played  a 500 pts game, 20 spear ungors did nothing but 10 gors performed good and centigors were incredible

Ungors should only be in blocks of 10 or 40 as a general rule. In a unit of 10 use blades, and in a unit of 40 use spears. Raiders are also best used in units of 10 or 40, though some argument could be made for 20 or 30 depending on the points in your list.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Ungors should only be in blocks of 10 or 40 as a general rule. In a unit of 10 use blades, and in a unit of 40 use spears. Raiders are also best used in units of 10 or 40, though some argument could be made for 20 or 30 depending on the points in your list.

now Im in position to absolutely agree with you

On 11/4/2018 at 12:17 AM, peasant said:

today Ive played  a 500 pts game, 20 spear ungors did nothing but 10 gors performed good and centigors were incredible

Yesterday i played my first game in a 500 pts Path to Glory campaign. We play it in a Pitched Battle style, on the 36x48 table, with the requirements of one non-unique Hero under 250 pts, one Battleline unit and with no additional Heroes.  And we can only summon 100 pts of units in one game.  
Also there is an 50 pts escalation after each round and reward roll (champion/follower of your choice) for each Glory Point you earned in battle. What do you guys think about such a format in general? 

For the game I brought list of Tzaangor Shaman, Tzaangors and Enlightened on discs for exact 500 pts and managed to win turn two (without double turn) against deepstriking stormcasts list with Lord-Aquilor, Vanguard-Hunters and Vanguard-Palladors.
On his first turn he tried to charge all his units into my Tzaangors. That was definitely a mistake, as i castled within my Herdstone range (he probably was unfamiliar with BoC rules as he is a new player and the book only came out a short time ago). I failed spectacularly with my Tzaangors' counterattacks, but Enlightened wiped out Vanguard-Hunters only with their spears, as they were 2" away. In my first turn I killed Lord-Aquilor(mostly with magic phase mortal wounds) and in my next turn i finished Vanguard-Palladors. Also on my second turn i already had 5 Primordial call points (2 for turn and 3 from sacrifice) to summon some Enlightened on foot.

After the game i got 2 Glory Points and rolled "3" for both my units on the reward table which means they now have once per game reroll to hit, which would be really helpful for the Tzaangors. Overall i think Wizard Hero in a Path to Glory campain is crucial and I guess i would struggle much more against armies with considerable amount of shooting.

• Like 2

Nice write up. I really like the sound of your format. I understand the cap on summoning although I wonder how this balances out with armies who are designed to summon as part of their allegiance abilities? I suppose as a beginners league its absolutely fine.

Does the 50 points escalation each round make much difference? I imagine for most armies that is insufficient to add another unit. When thinking about escalation leagues I've felt 100 points was right as that guaranteed at least one new unit or hero in your army each round but could see how that spirals out of control before long.

So I've been heavily vacillating regarding the Shaggoth. What have folks overall experiences been with him and how did you use him? I've played him a handful of times and I just feel like he needs to be the general to be effective and if he's the general I'm going to need to give up Gavespawn to do so. 

3 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

So I've been heavily vacillating regarding the Shaggoth. What have folks overall experiences been with him and how did you use him? I've played him a handful of times and I just feel like he needs to be the general to be effective and if he's the general I'm going to need to give up Gavespawn to do so. 

I won a 1000 point tournament recently with Shaggoth spamming hailstorm. Such a good spell!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Nice write up. I really like the sound of your format. I understand the cap on summoning although I wonder how this balances out with armies who are designed to summon as part of their allegiance abilities? I suppose as a beginners league its absolutely fine.

Does the 50 points escalation each round make much difference? I imagine for most armies that is insufficient to add another unit. When thinking about escalation leagues I've felt 100 points was right as that guaranteed at least one new unit or hero in your army each round but could see how that spirals out of control before long.

I guess it's because summoning allegiance abilities are designed around bigger formats, so 100 pts in 500 pts game is already a huge amount. I think battles wouldn't be really long to summon much more. As for the escalation, most players only have some basic stuff like start collecting box so we decided to slow down the process. The goal of our store is to play 1000 pts campain at some point and i believe there also would be some restrictions. We are mostly 40k players, but with the second edition of AoS new people started to show interest in the hobby.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

Shaggoth indeed needs to be general with his awesome D3 CP command trait. IMO greatfrays are not worth it because universal command traits and artifacts are much better. I recommend you to watch newest Doom & Darkness video as it has some spot on moments about BoC tactics and features a Shaggoth general.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pandamina said:

Shaggoth indeed needs to be general with his awesome D3 CP command trait. IMO greatfrays are not worth it because universal command traits and artifacts are much better. I recommend you to watch newest Doom & Darkness video as it has some spot on moments about BoC tactics and features a Shaggoth general.

I've watched his reports - what I don't agree with is that the generic traits and artifacts are better IF you don't have Shaggoth general. Also that does bring up our fairly limited battleline selection once you have a Shaggoth general. My current list for example only have 2 battle line if I go shaggoth rather than GBS or BL. 

10 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

I won a 1000 point tournament recently with Shaggoth spamming hailstorm. Such a good spell!

Yep. Hailstorm is awesome.

3 hours ago, Myrdin said:

Where can I find this guy ? Youtube ?

Would be interesting to see the strategies other people employ with BoC

Youtube. Search for Doom and Darkness.

• Thanks 1

I’m just getting in to the new BoC and was hoping for some input on this style of list:

Darkwalkers allegiance

Doombull, Nomadic Leader, Desolate shard
Doombull, Herdstone shard
Great Bray Shaman, spell: Titanic Fury

3x3 bullgor
20 ungor

2 Ghorgon
2 Cygor

Brass Despoilers 
Chronomantic Cogs
+2 CP

Plan is to ambush both ghorgon a doombull and some bullgor, use the Cygors to weaken wizards namely alariel, Nagash, arkhan etc ungor for throwing in the fire, probably just to summon more ungor for objectives.

Use cogs for charge bonus on ambushing units and 2CP for charge rerolls. Once everything is in combat pop the one use reroll wounds and +1 to wound and hope for good hit rolls!