AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

9 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Such a cool minotaur/Doombull! What model is it?

It is a Zealot Miniature model from a Kickstarter they had in October last year. They are still delivering to late backers and they should be done with them around Sep/Oct time and after that they should have all those minis (the Kickstarter was actually featuring about 20 different models) in their online shop. Be ready to spend your money!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

It is a Zealot Miniature model from a Kickstarter they had in October last year. They are still delivering to late backers and they should be done with them around Sep/Oct time and after that they should have all those minis (the Kickstarter was actually featuring about 20 different models) in their online shop. Be ready to spend your money!!!

Wow their minotaurs are amazing! Do you happen to have a side-by-side shot with these guys and the GW Bullgors/Doombull? Just curious how their sizes compare.

Will the additional realm spells be used?

If so, something like this maybe?

Allegiance: Brayherd

Leaders
Beastlord (90)
- Man-ripper Axe & Brayshield
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)

Units
3 x Tuskgor Chariots (180)
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Great Axes
- Allies

Total: 1190 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 160 / 200

60 points remaining for extra command point, some endless spells or send on 10 x Ungors for another unit.

If realm spells aren't being used and you dont take any endless spells then maybe drop one shaman for some more troops. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Leaders
Beastlord (90)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)

Units
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Great Axes
- Allies

60 points remaining for extra command point, some endless spells or send on 10 x Ungors for another unit.

If realm spells aren't being used and you dont take any endless spells then maybe drop one shaman for some more troops. 

Thanks! Endless spells are most likely in, but not sure about Realm Spells yet. The organizers haven't decided about those yet. From the Endless spells, Chronomantic Cogs seem like a great choice for extra speed, but I've got no clue about Realm Spells or artefacts. Any suggestions? 

Also, do you think Bullgors make better allies than a Jabberslythe? Jabbers seemed to come highly recommended in a lot of lists I've seen from previous years. 

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

No worries :-)

I'm not really up to speed with the realm spells yet however if they are available people tend to just sit the book next to them and cast what looks good at the time. Each Wizard has access to all of the spells from the realm so you dont have to pick a single spell and assign it to each wizard (as far as I know anyway). The Cogs are a good shout however Brayherd already move quite fast and so you may find your opponent gets more out of the extra movement then you do (or you may find that your opponent casts cogs as it is proving quite popular).

Havent used a Jabberslythe before but the rules look great and I have seen many reports of people swearing by them. However in a low points game like this one I feel you would get more out of the Bullgors. That being said, I only included them because you were looking to mix brayherd and warherd. Probably best to apply rule of cool on that one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Leaders
Beastlord (90)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)

Units
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Great Axes
- Allies

@The_Yellow_SignIdk if I like the beastlord and the bullgors might feel slightly underwelming without the CA from the doombull. Why not playing the doombull only instead of those two? He is 8W instead of 12 but it s more hidable and he gets the - 1 to be hit so he gets into combat pretty ez (at least mine always do). I d drop one shaman anyway as Devolve is pretty niche spell and maybe thinking of bringing one endless spell (I like the idea of the palissade as you can protect your army more from shooting and you can cut your opponent off in some ways). 

Not really sure on which are the limitations for list building at the tournament but you might need to add one more BL.  

Oh, Iike the Jabberslythe too, soooo much dmg!!!! 

Edited by Frozenbeast
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 11:15 AM, Frozenbeast said:

@The_Yellow_SignIdk if I like the beastlord and the bullgors might feel slightly underwelming without the CA from the doombull. Why not playing the doombull only instead of those two? He is 8W instead of 12 but it s more hidable and he gets the - 1 to be hit so he gets into combat pretty ez (at least mine always do). I d drop one shaman anyway as Devolve is pretty niche spell and maybe thinking of bringing one endless spell (I like the idea of the palissade as you can protect your army more from shooting and you can cut your opponent off in some ways). 

Not really sure on which are the limitations for list building at the tournament but you might need to add one more BL.  

Oh, Iike the Jabberslythe too, soooo much dmg!!!! 

I'm not sure about bringing a solo Doombull; I feel like he's not that killy or durable on his own for his 120 points. He's when accompanied by other Warherd he's great, but I think it would be a waste of a CP to boost a solo Doombull. I'd probably be better served by taking another 10 bestigors for the same points. The Bestigors bring 10 wounds vs. 8, 4+  vs. 5+ armour save, 20 attacks vs. 3--5 attacks (though he can get up to 10 with Bloodgreed if I get really lucky).

I feel like the Jabberslythe as an ally brings something new to the table compared to the Doombull or more Bestigors, like mortal wounds, ranged attack, nerfing aura etc.

List building rules are just the standard for 1250 points (so 2 battleline), and the tournament organizers just announced today that all of the Malign Sorcery stuff is in (realms of battle, etc.)

• Like 1

Hey guys. Looks like I'll be playing my first game of AoS soon, as a Path to Glory campaign is starting soon and I've been roped into it. I've rolled up my warband and was hoping you lot could give me some tactical pointers.

I was generously allowed to use my converted Beastlord on Chariot (see my signature for pictures) as my champion instead of a regular Beastlord with the same amount of units, and Tuskgor chariots were changed to come in twos (the same table has 20 ungors, which cost as much as two chariots so it seemed fair). No artifacts or command traits, as the champion traits we gain will serve the same purpose.

The warband is:

• Beastlord on Chariot
  • Great Bray-Shaman
  • 10 Gors (shields)
  • 3 Bullgors (two-handed axes)
  • 2 Tuskgor Chariots

Very low body count considering what I expected. So, how should I play this?

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 5:16 PM, Frozenbeast said:

What I really hope is that they bring back Morghur, ... He just weakens and rises back (bit like Alarielle with her seasons) 

Does Alarielle still do that?  I thought Ariel did and that was in the Old World.

Morghur would be nice.  I used him in a tournament at the end of 6th ed with a bunch of Khorne stuff, and then someone terrorbombed me which I hadn't been prepared for.  So not Morghurs best outing.

6 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Does Alarielle still do that?  I thought Ariel did and that was in the Old World.

Morghur would be nice.  I used him in a tournament at the end of 6th ed with a bunch of Khorne stuff, and then someone terrorbombed me which I hadn't been prepared for.  So not Morghurs best outing.

Well, my point was not that Alarielle still does it (which I don't know) but that she did it, and Morghur ALWAYS did it as part of his fluff and making him come back now in AoS would make him, first of all, immortal one more time and then so unique (a he would pass the barriers of a scenario changing event like End Times) that it would just bring back that lost flavor for Beastmen. He does not have to be the most OP character in the game, he just need to re-define immortality. 

It would be nice.

18 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Well, my point was not that Alarielle still does it (which I don't know) but that she did it, and Morghur ALWAYS did it as part of his fluff and making him come back now in AoS would make him, first of all, immortal one more time and then so unique (a he would pass the barriers of a scenario changing event like End Times) that it would just bring back that lost flavor for Beastmen. He does not have to be the most OP character in the game, he just need to re-define immortality. 

It would be nice.

oh for sure.  I just don't recall it as well as you :)

And yeah it would be nice to see him back, as a strong presence of Chaos driving the Brayherds

It is Chaos related for sure but I am not totally convinved. Chaos Dwarves are a Forgeworld exclusive and it would be odd for GW to release something they do not sell directly anymore. It might be a referment to an old spell Chaos dwarves use to be able to cast back in the days (4th/5th ed) but still be a Realm of Chaos related Endless Spell (maybe they will introduce another Mortal realm: Chaos and that spell get enhanced when casted in a game playied in the realm of Chaos). Maybe they will bring Minotaurs shamans to AoS (we have the Ogroid alerady so I can see a Warherd one) in the darkoath faction and that is the Endless spell they get to cast. Or maybe darkoath/brayherd is indeed coming out and this is the spirit of Taurox that get summoned by the shamans and sorcers in the faction.

Thank god(...ehhmm, I mean Khorne, thank Khorne) this one at least has got hooves instead of mutated feet (horrible....blah)

Edited by Frozenbeast

Yea there are rumors brayherd may be updating but could be in conjunction/combined with darkoath. While I love chaos dwarfs, I doubt they'll be converted. FW to GW conversions have become incredibly rare with the only real exception in the past 5 years or so being Horus Heresy plastics (and that half counts because it's space marines, and people can always use more space marines). The fact that GW had to "invent" so many new 40k flyers instead of convert the already established FW flyers (such as the Barracuda or the Nightwing) really shows imo that FW products these days stay FW.

The only thing I can think of that might get converted would be a Plastic Thunderhawk.....or a Squiggoth (how is the squiggoth still not a normal codex choice by now?!?)

25 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

Thank god(...ehhmm, I mean Khorne, thank Khorne) this one at least has got hooves instead of mutated feet (horrible....blah)

"Yes we're getting plastic Minotaurs!"

*then this shows up*

99120216004_MinotaursNEW03.jpg

• Haha 2

Going to be coming into some brayherd soon, basically enough to run a Wildstalker battalion plus a Ghorgon.

My question is what is their win condition? I play primarily Maggotkin, which is attrition and mortal wounds flying around, and Beastclaw, which is a massive alpha to break the back of your opponent... but what do Brayherd do to win?

Also what’s the point of a Herdstone if everything is ambushing in around board?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Ajay29 said:

Going to be coming into some brayherd soon, basically enough to run a Wildstalker battalion plus a Ghorgon.

My question is what is their win condition? I play primarily Maggotkin, which is attrition and mortal wounds flying around, and Beastclaw, which is a massive alpha to break the back of your opponent... but what do Brayherd do to win?

Also what’s the point of a Herdstone if everything is ambushing in around board?

Thanks in advance!

Very good question my furry and horned friend. 

First of all BAAAHHHH and welcome to the Herd! 

1) Brayherd win conditions are multiple depending on what you want/like to play. If your aim is attrition like your Nurgle army you NEED to flood the board with bodies. Put on the table as many as you can get on objectives and stick on it, and if a unit dies, send another one in (also to accomplish the same amount f MW you do with Nurgle you might wanna take some Endless spells)!!!! If instead you wanna be more flexible you could play goat/monsters mixed chaos with less models but maybe more deadly than just a grown-up ram. I am talking either Ghorgons or Jabberslythes and maybe have the bulk of your army being Bestigors instead of gors or ungors. Here though you will have to play a little bit smarter as some army will be able to just wipe you off the board in a couple of turn without you being able to deal any wound (Jabber is 10 wound and does not do much unless it gets to combat and ghorgons when they start loosing wounds are less effective very quickly).

2) With 2.0 the Herdstone has lost some of its potential and now can be used in different way than before (due to the changes to terrains now having a shorter range of action therefore taking less space on he battlefield; although now you can place it in the middle of the field while before you had to put it close to the general); as a persona preference I play mixed Chaos (either because I have some custom models I like to play and because I don't particularly like the allegiance anymore: artifacts are not appealing and if I want to ambush I just need to fulfill the requirements of the Battalion and there you go).

Hope that was useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Very good question my furry and horned friend. 

First of all BAAAHHHH and welcome to the Herd! 

1) Brayherd win conditions are multiple depending on what you want/like to play. If your aim is attrition like your Nurgle army you NEED to flood the board with bodies. Put on the table as many as you can get on objectives and stick on it, and if a unit dies, send another one in (also to accomplish the same amount f MW you do with Nurgle you might wanna take some Endless spells)!!!! If instead you wanna be more flexible you could play goat/monsters mixed chaos with less models but maybe more deadly than just a grown-up ram. I am talking either Ghorgons or Jabberslythes and maybe have the bulk of your army being Bestigors instead of gors or ungors. Here though you will have to play a little bit smarter as some army will be able to just wipe you off the board in a couple of turn without you being able to deal any wound (Jabber is 10 wound and does not do much unless it gets to combat and ghorgons when they start loosing wounds are less effective very quickly).

2) With 2.0 the Herdstone has lost some of its potential and now can be used in different way than before (due to the changes to terrains now having a shorter range of action therefore taking less space on he battlefield; although now you can place it in the middle of the field while before you had to put it close to the general); as a persona preference I play mixed Chaos (either because I have some custom models I like to play and because I don't particularly like the allegiance anymore: artifacts are not appealing and if I want to ambush I just need to fulfill the requirements of the Battalion and there you go).

Hope that was useful.

Just curious what's your favourite mixed chaos list atm?

So I posted one list back in the pages but then I realized I could sqeeze in something deadlier so re-counting, this is what I play:

Allegiance: Chaos

LEADER

Great Bray Shaman (100)- General- Command Trait : Malicious Conqueror

Great Bray Shaman (100)- Artefact : Crown of Conquest

Doombull (120)- Pair of Axes

UNITS

10 x Ungors (60)-Mauls & Half-Shields

10x Ungors (60)-Mauls & Half-Shields

10 x Ungors (60)-Mauls & Half-Shields 

30 x Bestigors (300)

30 x Bestigors (300)

6 x Bullgors (320)-Great Axes

BEHEMOTHS

Cygor (180)

Cygor (180)

Jabberslythe (140)

1930/2000

This is the idea is to target wizards with the rocks and make them hide and I hide the Jabber up untill I can jump on the hittiest of my enemy s unit. Meanwhile I charge the bulky stuff in to hold my opponent where it is.

If you prefer more magic you can play around with points like take a cygor and fit a shaman and some enldess spell or you play 30 gor instead of one unit of bestigor, you can play around  you have room for adjustments. 

22 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea there are rumors brayherd may be updating but could be in conjunction/combined with darkoath. While I love chaos dwarfs, I doubt they'll be converted.

I have little faith in the rumour.  People are over-hyping it and even the OP has stepped back on it, a couple times now.  

However, Primal Fury was the rule for Beastmen in 8th and the news released used Primal which I feel is significant enough in drops with rare and subtle clues. 

And I 100% agree with you about GW not releasing a Chaos Dwarf endless spell for a FW army that isn't being converted to plastic any time soon.  My money is on Beasts of Chaos (using the Path to Glory umbrella).

20 hours ago, Ajay29 said:

I would suggest a Jabberslythe or two.  IMO they are a missing key to that army which is reliable mortal wounds on something you can't deal with. 

You probably don't want to ambush the entire army.  And it doesn't hurt to leave a cheap 40 ungor screen around a couple casters, particularly with Realm lores being known but all wizards.  

I don't recall who does the Mojogorox armies but he tweeted an interesting list.  Realm of Beasts, use the Claws of Anrahier on a Doombull with 2 HWs.  5 attacks and 6+ is a bonus 2 dmg.  Since he'll generate bonus attacks on a 5+, he seems like a good utility tool.  Ghur has a couple other good options for artifacts for Warherds.  

The other thing about his list is MSU 3-bullgor units.  I've been a fan of this for a while.  I know people like 6-12 man units for bodies but lacking reach I feel 2 x 3 units vs the enemy is a better option than a single 6 man unit.

Oh and he took Cogs.   But, like Slaanesh, lacking a good option to get a +1 /+2 stacked in there it seems more like just gambling.  

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Realm of Beasts, use the Claws of Anrahier on a Doombull with 2 HWs.  5 attacks and 6+ is a bonus 2 dmg.  Since he'll generate bonus attacks on a 5+, he seems like a good utility tool

The 2 HW option already deals 2 dmg per wound, doed that artifact double them then, or just add 2 dmg (I am at work cannot check right now and don't remember)? Which Allegiance is he using? Because with the same idea why not using the Demonblade from the artifact of GA Chaos? it deal 2 MW on 6+ to wound (which becomes 5+ witht the CA) IN ADDITION to normal dmg. I used it on a Great Axe Doombull once and a signle charge managed to explode a Lord-Celestant on Dracoth, I did soooo much dmg (I rolled high but not massively high and then my doombull died as he hed only one wound left and between all the saves he had to roll he passed one and bounced a MW back on me which was the last one the Doombull had left?. The guy could not believe what just happened. From that moment on my Doombull is in the Hall of fame of my gaming group)

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

The other thing about his list is MSU 3-bullgor units.  I've been a fan of this for a while.  I know people like 6-12 man units for bodies but lacking reach I feel 2 x 3 units vs the enemy is a better option than a single 6 man unit.

I cannot figure the advantage of it, can you explain what is your thought behind it? How do you use them?

• Like 1