AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

31 minutes ago, merzbau said:

I’m still planning out my army- I haven’t made any firm decisions besides Gavespawn (not for any perceived competitive advantage, but for the fluff, color scheme and incentive to run a lot of Spawn), but one thing I’m stuck on is Gors. I know Bestigors kind of outclass them point for point, and plenty of other units (not least of which are Tzaangors I also have waiting in the wings) do what they do only better, but I’m determined to run a max-strength unit of them because dammit, they’re *the* Beastmen infantry.

That said, I have no idea how best to equip them. I’m in the awkward position of having ten with shields and ten with dual hand weapons mostly completed; is obviously be building up from one of these units, but I’m not really sure which is a better use of my time. Shields seem to be a weak second to Bestigors, who just have a straight-up 4+, but I simply haven’t played enough to be at all confident in that evaluation. How are those of you who use Gors getting on with them?

I think thats actually why Gors might be good! People are so focused on Bestigors that they may prioritize your Bestigor units even at 10 man, vs your 30 man strong gor herd.

3 hours ago, merzbau said:

I’m still planning out my army- I haven’t made any firm decisions besides Gavespawn (not for any perceived competitive advantage, but for the fluff, color scheme and incentive to run a lot of Spawn), but one thing I’m stuck on is Gors. I know Bestigors kind of outclass them point for point, and plenty of other units (not least of which are Tzaangors I also have waiting in the wings) do what they do only better, but I’m determined to run a max-strength unit of them because dammit, they’re *the* Beastmen infantry.

That said, I have no idea how best to equip them. I’m in the awkward position of having ten with shields and ten with dual hand weapons mostly completed; is obviously be building up from one of these units, but I’m not really sure which is a better use of my time. Shields seem to be a weak second to Bestigors, who just have a straight-up 4+, but I simply haven’t played enough to be at all confident in that evaluation. How are those of you who use Gors getting on with them?

I would give them shields. Use them to tie enemies up in melee while your Bestigors hammer them.

2 hours ago, merzbau said:

Gors are a fantastic, people are definately under selling them. They might not be as pushed as Bestigors but they are more than playable. Not every unit in an army needs to be capable of alpha striking hard units off the table turn 1.

At 210 points they are a solid buy and are great for bulking out a horde army. With a 4+ save in combat and 30 wounds they are as good a tarpit as we have access to. They are cheap enough to sacrifice in a pinch. They are flexible on offense and can be commited to combats you dont want to waste your bestigors on, for instance they can be a first wave to engage tarpits or chaff, or they can be a second wave following bestigors to finish off wounded units. Finally, they can be a real threat either by receiving a few buffs or in the late game when support characters have been eliminated or the herdstone is having an impact. 

Its easy to fall into the trap of comparing a units dmg potential and dismissing them but the game is more than just an excercise in math. Anyways, my point is that gors fullfill a flexible range of roles at a good cost to justify their place in competitive lists. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Pangu said:

Gors are a fantastic, people are definately under selling them. They might not be as pushed as Bestigors but they are more than playable. Not every unit in an army needs to be capable of alpha striking hard units off the table turn 1.

At 210 points they are a solid buy and are great for bulking out a horde army. With a 4+ save in combat and 30 wounds they are as good a tarpit as we have access to. They are cheap enough to sacrifice in a pinch. They are flexible on offense and can be commited to combats you dont want to waste your bestigors on, for instance they can be a first wave to engage tarpits or chaff, or they can be a second wave following bestigors to finish off wounded units. Finally, they can be a real threat either by receiving a few buffs or in the late game when support characters have been eliminated or the herdstone is having an impact. 

Its easy to fall into the trap of comparing a units dmg potential and dismissing them but the game is more than just an excercise in math. Anyways, my point is that gors fullfill a flexible range of roles at a good cost to justify their place in competitive lists. 

I Really Love gors and but I Feel Sad for not Being Able to Buy ungors Out of The start collecting box (and without round bases That increases The price) Too.

My Plan is to Field max sized Units of bestigors, gors and ungors Because is The Way I like The Army to Be on table, but is Tricky Because The Huge amount of Time and money to Invest (im painting 0.8 gors/Day) and Maybe That Way Only Yields a Long Row of defeats.

I Feel gw Lost an Opportunity not releasing Plastic Chariots Because They are as iconic as gors for me, Well Too Bad They dont Want Our Money.

Sorry for The English, is not My Mother Language (and My Mobile is not Helping)

This may have been said already (and maybe it's a tough pill to swallow to BoC players) but Bestigors shouldn't have received their buff and stayed at 120 points.

They outclass any heavy hitter battlelines out there. 

3 3+ 3+ -1 attacks (sometimes rerolling ones) with good movement, run and charge and 4+ save is crazy for these points.

Compare to Namarti Thralls or Grimghast Reapers, both pretty new units. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanielFM said:

This may have been said already (and maybe it's a tough pill to swallow to BoC players) but Bestigors shouldn't have received their buff and stayed at 120 points.

They outclass any heavy hitter battlelines out there. 

3 3+ 3+ -1 attacks (sometimes rerolling ones) with good movement, run and charge and 4+ save is crazy for these points.

Compare to Namarti Thralls or Grimghast Reapers, both pretty new units. 

Yeah, ppl Will buy BG like Crazy and probably in The Next GH19 Will Be hard-nerfed. A Good movement in The short Term But Customers Could Feel Very Angry if This Pattern repeats a Few Times.

A More balanced approach Will Be Desired, Gors Horde Discount Leave them at 190 and no Discount for bestigors.

19 minutes ago, Saiken said:

What do you guys think about Chaos Gargant Vs Ghorgon ? 

Chaos Gargant 20pt cheaper, and with the whip it seems pretty interesting, yet a bit more random than the Ghorgon.

What are the pros and cons of both ?

Chaos gargant doesnt make The Cut for me:

-less wounds and no Way of Healing

- +1 Attack Very situational, and probable degrading Profile, Maybe isnt Worth to Whip

- no sinergies, meanwhile ghorgon is affected by several Buffs

- The instakill One mini is Half as useful Than The ghorgon grab

- 1/6 of cancelling a Charge and chances That Your own Units Taking MWs

+ miniature is Fantastic!

1 hour ago, Saiken said:

Chaos Gargant 20pt cheaper, and with the whip it seems pretty interesting, yet a bit more random than the Ghorgon.

Well I believe that he can be useful

watched the last mini wargaming (or mountain miniature) battle report on YouTube.

Steve was using the giant and some other monster very efficiently.

I would recommend you to watch it too, since it can help you get an idea of what units may be useful for a beast of chaos army.

1 hour ago, Saiken said:

Themewise I like Ghorgon, especially with Bullgors and Doombull. Also from any other perspective I like him more. Good looking miniature, with nice attacks, way to slay a  6- wound hero instantly. Plus the ravenous bloodgreed is just superb. :)

• Like 1

Gargant if you're feeling lucky!

Otherwise I think Ghorgon will be more reliable. It doesn't need to be babysat by a hero.

Titanic Fury is amazing no doubt, but it's like Nurgle's Blades of Putrification, people are going to unbind that spell as much as possible if you have a Gargant or Chimera! And I think BoC have no way to buff their cast roll.

Still in hero spam gavespawn list, having some gargants follow up beastlords sounds pretty tasty.

1 hour ago, merzbau said:

The Gargant seems to benefit disproportionately from the many buffs (Gavespawn command ability, whip, Titanic Fury) that give extra attacks with the terrifying damage output of its headbutt...

Same here, it's easily possible to get the headbutt up to 3 attacks 4+ 3+ -3 D6 damage ? not to mention the rest of its attacks. (Gavespawn + whipped)

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Same here, it's easily possible to get the headbutt up to 3 attacks 4+ 3+ -3 D6 damage ? not to mention the rest of its attacks. (Gavespawn + whipped)

And then the chaos gods laugh at your feeble attempts to appease them and place a well hidden banana peel under the gargants foot just before he charges ?

That Allherd trait may easily mitigate that, but then you have to take allherd!