AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yes, but from a different perspective Tzaangor enlightenment seem to be better the both of them.

they have the same cost like Dragonogres a 16inch move (with the cogs and the shaman this would be immediately improved to 21 (without running) and they hit much harder than any Bullgor units.

they can do in average 20-30wounds in the combat phase, which is really need.

3 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Anyone going the Tzeentch direction?

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’ll be probably going with Tzeentch enlightenment on disc as a shock troop for my army.

i find them rather amazing in close combat.

I'm thinking of testing something like this: 

Allegiance: Beasts Of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
Beastlord (90)
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade 
Beastlord (90)
- Artefact: Volcanic Axe 
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)

Battleline
10 x Tzaangors (180)
10 x Tzaangors (180)
40 x Ungors (200)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields

Units
10 x Bestigors (120)
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (140)

Battalions
Phantasmagoria of Fate (200)

Endless Spells
Ravening Direflock (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 156

Direflock seems nice combined with enlightened to crank up the battleshock. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, peasant said:

Mmm My box of Enlighted is in Front of me. I should Go on Foot or on Disk? Saving 40 Points is Worth? 

Don’t no.

i went with the disk since it gives you an extra wound and a 16inch movement which will increase to 19inches while they are near a bray shaman, and to 21inches if you also have the cogs on the battlefield.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, peasant said:

Mmm My box of Enlighted is in Front of me. I should Go on Foot or on Disk? Saving 40 Points is Worth? 

I think if you want to run a unit of 6, on foot is a decent choice since you save 80pts (thats like a unit of centigors). A skirmishing unit of 3 might like the extra attacks a flight though.

BUT I have very little to no experience with tzaangors! Thats just my gut feeling.

• Like 1

The big advantage of a unit on foot is that they can lurk behind the lines and provide  almost all of their offensive output through 2" melee attacks over other units without risking themselves. Keep them far enough forward that a unit with 1" melee needs to activate and move up within 3" to charge the unit screening the enlightened, so you can counterpunch if charged (benefiting from the rerolls). I'd do multiple units of 3 rather than a bigger unit, to spread the threats out. 

Other advantage is that you can make foot enlightened from normal tzaangors after making skyfires on disc. Vice versa is not possible. 

Aside from that....disc enlightened gain so much for a relatively small investment in points.

Enlightened on foot are a solid unit. Enlightened on disc are a highlight in what looks like a very strong book. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Anyone going the Tzeentch direction?

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Beastlord (90)

Battleline
10 x Tzaangors (180)
- 4x Pair of Savage Blade
- 4x Savage Greatblade
- 2x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
3 x Tzaangor Skyfires (200)
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened (100)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 79

What do you guys think about this? I'm going to my first game of AoS 2.0 this Sunday vs Stormcasts, so any advice would be appreciated. I'm planning to sacrifice Ungors and hide my Enlightened on foot behind Tzaangors.  Also Skyfires are still decent in melee and they can gun down some armored guys or a warmachine with a lucky volley.

• Like 1

I think SCE Will Fall Prey of Your MW. output and superior Mobility, im Very Interested in The tzaangors performance

1 hour ago, Pandamina said:

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Beastlord (90)

Battleline
10 x Tzaangors (180)
- 4x Pair of Savage Blade
- 4x Savage Greatblade
- 2x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
3 x Tzaangor Skyfires (200)
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened (100)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 79

What do you guys think about this? I'm going to my first game of AoS 2.0 this Sunday vs Stormcasts, so any advice would be appreciated. I'm planning to sacrifice Ungors and hide my Enlightened on foot behind Tzaangors.  Also Skyfires are still decent in melee and they can gun down some armored guys or a warmachine with a lucky volley.

29 minutes ago, Swooper said:

Anyone heard anything about more BoC units getting the rebox treatment in the foreseeable future? Asked a GW store manager about it recently, didn't seem like he knew anything.

I would imagine dragons ogors, cygor/ghorgon, and bestigors get repacked.

Chimera, given the buffs, may also seem likely?

But it really is up in the air. On one hand I think nearly all the Seraphon models can be bought with round bases).

Meanwhile....Direwolves still haven't! Yes, one of the most popular Battleline for LoN still hasn't been repacked, yet Chaos Warhounds did....

Man speaking of warhounds, anyone think of any situation they'd be good in? I think the only use of them is 10 cavalry bases to block something. Until they get killed and run off due to their tiny bravery.

But other than that, Centigors seem to do everything warhounds can possibly do and more!

Chaos hounds will be amazing in a year when they're reduced to 40 pts. Until then, they're a unit that looks great, assuming you have the old metals and not the current ugly plastics. 

edit - actually...the one value they have is as a screen given their long bases. For 80 pts, you can probably protect almost your entire army from deepstriking threats. 

Edited by decker_cky
  • Like 1

Had my first BoC game tonight against Sylvaneth.

Rocked Gavespawn with Desolating Breyherd; Beastlord with the Gavespawn item, Doombull with the 4+ mortal wound save armour, 2 shamans, 30 Bestigors, 30 Gors, 6 Bullgors, 2 units of 10 ungors, Ghorgon, Chimera, chaos spawn.

Opponent had some Sylvaneth mega battalion with Durthu, 3 units of Kurnoth, 4 units of spites, 20 Dryads.

Wont go through the turn by turn but got unlucky early and lost all the bestigors for no return, but managed to pull off the Beastlord command ability on the Gors who wiped the floor with a 6 strong unit of melee kurnoth. 

The doombull and bullgors never made it to combat, just hung around objectives, but the Ghorgon and Chimera blended everything they touched with the spell that gives monsters +1 attack.

I rolled a 1 EVERY turn for sacrificing, but still managed to get a couple of suicide chariots on, little disappointed I never got to flex the summoning muscles.

Overall, felt really good! Lots of dynamic stuff, some nice interactions (one turn the doombull wounded himself for sacrifice and ended up saving the wound anyway from his artefact), hopefully get a chance to summon some more juicy stuff in the future!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

Had my first BoC game tonight against Sylvaneth.

Rocked Gavespawn with Desolating Breyherd; Beastlord with the Gavespawn item, Doombull with the 4+ mortal wound save armour, 2 shamans, 30 Bestigors, 30 Gors, 6 Bullgors, 2 units of 10 ungors, Ghorgon, Chimera, chaos spawn.

Opponent had some Sylvaneth mega battalion with Durthu, 3 units of Kurnoth, 4 units of spites, 20 Dryads.

Wont go through the turn by turn but got unlucky early and lost all the bestigors for no return, but managed to pull off the Beastlord command ability on the Gors who wiped the floor with a 6 strong unit of melee kurnoth. 

The doombull and bullgors never made it to combat, just hung around objectives, but the Ghorgon and Chimera blended everything they touched with the spell that gives monsters +1 attack.

I rolled a 1 EVERY turn for sacrificing, but still managed to get a couple of suicide chariots on, little disappointed I never got to flex the summoning muscles.

Overall, felt really good! Lots of dynamic stuff, some nice interactions (one turn the doombull wounded himself for sacrifice and ended up saving the wound anyway from his artefact), hopefully get a chance to summon some more juicy stuff in the future!

How did you find the Desolating Breyherd? I'm on the fence between taking it or not, or just taking one of the God battalions if I must have a 1 drop army.

2 minutes ago, CharnelChimera said:

How did you find the Desolating Breyherd? I'm on the fence between taking it or not, or just taking one of the God battalions if I must have a 1 drop army.

The combo of the Beastlord command, having more than 20 Gors for +1 attack and desolating herd turned the one important combat of the game into an almost casual steamroll in my favour.

Other than that, it was a nice bonus compounded by the battalion not costing an arm and a leg and giving me the extra CP and artefact.

Its the battalion I currently favour most because my models are mixed between bray and war herds so I can’t build heavily for either of the more focused ones.

Biggest disappointment was actually running Gavespawn... never got to give out +1 attack for being near a spawn, only got a spawn from a leader late game and didn’t need the extra dispel! 

1 minute ago, Ajay29 said:

The combo of the Beastlord command, having more than 20 Gors for +1 attack and desolating herd turned the one important combat of the game into an almost casual steamroll in my favour.

Other than that, it was a nice bonus compounded by the battalion not costing an arm and a leg and giving me the extra CP and artefact.

Its the battalion I currently favour most because my models are mixed between bray and war herds so I can’t build heavily for either of the more focused ones.

Biggest disappointment was actually running Gavespawn... never got to give out +1 attack for being near a spawn, only got a spawn from a leader late game and didn’t need the extra dispel! 

I haven't actually gotten the Gavespawn command ability off yet either, through 3 or 4 games. But the artefact on the Beastlord is just amazing; totally worth it just for the Mutating Gnarlblade.

8 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

Did you run any regular spawn units in your army?

Great write up, I am curious how summoning success will work out as time goes on.

1 hour ago, decker_cky said:

Chaos hounds will be amazing in a year when they're reduced to 40 pts. Until then, they're a unit that looks great, assuming you have the old metals and not the current ugly plastics. 

edit - actually...the one value they have is as a screen given their long bases. For 80 pts, you can probably protect almost your entire army from deepstriking threats. 

Yea I guess thats the best use for them for now, 10 60mm oval bases to give the middle finger to SCE deep strikes.

Ironically I suppose warhounds hugging table edges may be BoC worst nightmare for ambushing, especially darkwalkers!

And I'm not trying to hate on warhounds! Just that they could be a tad better. Even just having the ability to take them in units of 5 (same points per warhound) would make them really flexible.

If anyones been experimenting with warhounds, especially comparing them in game to centigors, let me know!

1 hour ago, CharnelChimera said:

Sounds like spending 3 Summoning Points for a spawn in a strategic position turn 1 or 2 might be a good idea, then.

That's my plan for the command ability - 3 point summons are generally pretty marginal, so a well positioned spawn to provide +1 attack to a nearby unit is as good of a use as there is. If the spawn does anything else, it's pure profit.

Enlightened on disc are the ideal unit - small footprint, multiple attack profiles, speed to get in position, and a huge damage dealer.

I’m still planning out my army- I haven’t made any firm decisions besides Gavespawn (not for any perceived competitive advantage, but for the fluff, color scheme and incentive to run a lot of Spawn), but one thing I’m stuck on is Gors. I know Bestigors kind of outclass them point for point, and plenty of other units (not least of which are Tzaangors I also have waiting in the wings) do what they do only better, but I’m determined to run a max-strength unit of them because dammit, they’re *the* Beastmen infantry.

That said, I have no idea how best to equip them. I’m in the awkward position of having ten with shields and ten with dual hand weapons mostly completed; is obviously be building up from one of these units, but I’m not really sure which is a better use of my time. Shields seem to be a weak second to Bestigors, who just have a straight-up 4+, but I simply haven’t played enough to be at all confident in that evaluation. How are those of you who use Gors getting on with them?