AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

9 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Do we know yet if we will be able to ally in Khorne units like the Bloodsecrator to buff the Khorne Battalion? 

Of course you can. He buffs everything with the "khorne" keyword.  I'm just wondering if you can run that warherd battalion under a khorne allegiance and combine it with gore pilgrims battalion for some interesting shenanigans! 

10 minutes ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Of course you can. He buffs everything with the "khorne" keyword.  I'm just wondering if you can run that warherd battalion under a khorne allegiance and combine it with gore pilgrims battalion for some interesting shenanigans! 

I mean do we know if KHORNE will be an ally option for Beasts of Chaos? I'd prefer to do BoC allegiance rather than KHORNE.

8 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

I mean do we know if KHORNE will be an ally option for Beasts of Chaos? I'd prefer to do BoC allegiance rather than KHORNE.

Khorne should absolutely be an ally. But you will not be able to ally Gore Pilgrims in due to the fact that it's a Khorne Battalion and will cap your allies points easily if your army's allegiance is BoC. 

However, as the Battalion assigns the BoC units the Khorne keyword, you can thus put it in a Khorne army and it will not count as an Ally since it uses your Khorne Army's allegiance.

Regardless, putting Gore Pilgrims and Brazen Bull together will be 330-350 points spent minimum on the Battalions alone. As I said in the Khorne thread, if Bullgors and Bestigors do not become universal Battleline, then you will need to take Gors (or another unit of Bloodreavers at minimum) to fullfill your Battleline (alongside GP's Blood Warriors and 'reavers). 

Then, with whatever is left over, you can use to get Bullgors, Bloodletters, Skullreapers, Bestigors, Wrathmongers, etc. 

I just think there's too much tax unless Bullgors end up as universal Battleline.

20 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

However, as the Battalion assigns the BoC units the Khorne keyword, you can thus put it in a Khorne army and it will not count as an Ally since it uses your Khorne Army's allegiance.

That remains to be seen. Bear in mind that the Warscroll Battalion itself also has an allegiance (which we don't currently know) - if the warscroll has both the Beasts of Chaos and Khorne allegiances, then it can be included in a Khorne army without being counted towards allies, but if it's only a Beasts of Chaos warscroll then it has to be allied, even though all the units in it have the Khorne keyword.

It being Beasts of Chaos only (and therefore allies for other Chaos forces) is rather strongly suggested by the wording of the article: "if you’ve already got a Chaos army, an allied detachment of god-marked beasts could be calling…". That's by no means a guarantee, but it's all we've got to go on at the moment.

1 hour ago, Kadeton said:

That remains to be seen. Bear in mind that the Warscroll Battalion itself also has an allegiance (which we don't currently know) - if the warscroll has both the Beasts of Chaos and Khorne allegiances, then it can be included in a Khorne army without being counted towards allies, but if it's only a Beasts of Chaos warscroll then it has to be allied, even though all the units in it have the Khorne keyword.

It being Beasts of Chaos only (and therefore allies for other Chaos forces) is rather strongly suggested by the wording of the article: "if you’ve already got a Chaos army, an allied detachment of god-marked beasts could be calling…". That's by no means a guarantee, but it's all we've got to go on at the moment.

Re-read the FAQ and it does seem that the only feasible way to run both would be to run the army as a Chaos Grand Alliance (since all battalions fall under their Grand Alliance). 

But then you're losing Blood Tithe and whatever other benefits you'd get from BoC. 

Best to just focus on allying in the usual suspects of Bloodsecrator and/or Bloodstoker. 

Edit: That is, unless Brazen Bull gives the Khorne allegiance to the Battalion. 

Edited by Aspirant Snaeper

On 9/11/2018 at 5:46 PM, Frozenbeast said:

Why not Anraheir's claw then (2 more dmg on a 6+ to wound) as it rerolls wounds against heroes having a higher chance to roll a 6. 

Just briefly following up on this, because the maths are kind of interesting (to me, at least).

Anraheir's Claw sounds good. because you should get more 6s than usual and 3 damage is awesome, right? Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work out, at least for the Beastlord. At 3+ to hit (rerolling 1s) and 3+ to wound (rerolling failures) against a 4+ save, the Blades of Symmetry deal an average of ~5.5 damage, and Anraheir's Claw deals ~4.1. What the Claw does is increase the variance - on a supremely lucky roll, you might deal 18 damage! But it's really unlikely, and most of the time you'll be worse off.

Interestingly, the Claw's average damage would match up exactly with the Blades of Symmetry's if it added +4 damage on 6s instead of only +2. At +2 damage, it's still worse even if you've got something giving you +1 to hit.

TLDR: Anraheir's Claw is trash. :P

Edited by Kadeton
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Im hoping Dragon Ogors get reworked. Ive always loved them but they never fit in with anything 

I definitely feel the Same !

But from what I understand, and as @decker_cky mentioned, they are probably going to be very fast and hard-hitting, which I don't feel you see quite often !
I really wonder what changes it will actually make to have the Dragon Ogor Shaggoth becoming a Mage too !

Anyways, I really want to bring Dragon Ogors to the tabletop. They are really cool models !

Shaggoth being a mage is cool. Really looking like Dragon Ogors could be strong. I mean, everyone knows how good the old Destruction allegiance ability was and not only will Thunderscorn units be getting that, they'll be potentially be reaping other benefits as well.

Think the Thunderscorn I've been picking up are definitely going to get some love on the painting table in the near future. Just hope they made the Dragon Ogors damage 2!

I initially was a little bit unsure about the Warherd ability. Didn't really seem like it did much for your average Bullgor unit (Which it doesn't). But that being said, I've come to realise it's going to be pretty awesome on the bigger models that have wounds to heal back. Will be interesting to see if the Ghorgon keeps the Strength from Flesh special rule as well, potentially could heal back quite a bit.

The Herdstone is super cool although it's a shame it lost the arcane buff to wizards. Looking forward to getting one.

Greatfrays sound pretty cool. Wish there were a few more to be honest. Hopefully they're well balanced against each other, as it'll only be more prominent if there's 1 choice that stands above the others. Sadly the Dark Walkers mandatory artefact seems pretty lacklustre overall, but if Legion of Night goes to prove, having ambushing large monsters can definitely be a strong tactic.

Have to say that the initial impression of 'marked' Beasts of Chaos doesn't do much for me. I don't really care much about marking Beastmen (Even if my 8th ed army was certainly a Khorne flavoured force), but being restricted to battalions just feels a bit odd. Not really fussed, but it's a big deal to some people and I'm hoping they've got it right. 

Also not sure why they didn't add in Ungors, Razorgors or Gargants. Maybe too weak, too mutated, but Gargants? Bring back marked Gargants I think (unless of course it's just a default option).

Overall, definitely sounding like it's going to be an interesting book, and looking like will be my first Battletome army for Age of Sigmar!

• Like 1

Well, I am excited. Was pretty sure I could skip this release as while I like Beastmen (tried to scratch build an all Chariot Beastmen army in 8th...oof) I was sure I could just watch this one and let the hardcore Chaos players have fun.

Then they announced Marks again...and Thunderscorn look good...and potentially God Marked BATTALIONS! Suddenly the Slaanesh idea I had in mind gets the hooved troops it desires and a Battalion to go with it'd theme. The Beastlord is better when he also generates Depravity points on his hero hunting/suicidal adventure. lol

• Like 1

Other highlights

Shaggoths have their own Lore

Bullgors have horn attacks

Centigors have more attacks

Tzaangor Enlightened gain a point drop when on foot (seriously that was a massive oversight)

8 minutes ago, chord said:

Will there be any changes to chaos warhounds?

No idea. On one hand I would like to have them be battleline but then again there are so many battleline options now for BoC depending on your general so I'm not sure if that will be necessary. They might be good cheap filler though to have more ambushing brayherds.

Thoughts on a few units:

Bestigors: Seeing the charge attack, I can't help but think they must have lost their second profile attack.

Ghorgon: Will this allow the ghorgon to choose the model removed, breaking unit coherency? If so, could be broken.

Shaggoth:  Amazing. Ultimate ally?

Bullgor: Love the new bloodgreed and the addition of extra attacks.

Centigors: With more attacks and the ability to add in bonus to hit, these are amazing allies for nurgle (who have a spell that causes a mortal wound on a 6+ to hit). Psyched that they're brayherd.

18 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

Shaggoth:  Amazing. Ultimate ally?

Well keep in mind he'll probably not be able to gain spells if not in a BoC army. He's still a wizard beast stick for sure, but I think Nurgle and Tzeentch will pass him up (nurgle really likes to have nurgle wizards, and tzeentch already has ogroid), and he can't go full khorne (obviously). Slaanesh might be the most interesting though as an alternative to the daemon prince/manticore sorcerer.

• Beastmen already existed in the Age of Myth (some even were friendly with humans)
  • Dragon ogors are native to Azyr, they were banished by Sigmar
  • Some Dragon ogor probably survived the End Times (maybe Kholek?)
  • Beastmen find Necroquake as a good thing, because it brought anarchy to the Mortal Realms
  • Beastmen don't normally worship Chaos Gods, they consider themselves an aspect of Chaos not slaves like other mortals
Edited by michu
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Well keep in mind he'll probably not be able to gain spells if not in a BoC army. He's still a wizard beast stick for sure, but I think Nurgle and Tzeentch will pass him up (nurgle really likes to have nurgle wizards, and tzeentch already has ogroid), and he can't go full khorne (obviously). Slaanesh might be the most interesting though as an alternative to the daemon prince/manticore sorcerer.

And the Slaanesh summoning ability. Every wound inflicted on him wil also count not to mention all wounds inflicted that don’t kill.