AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 minutes ago, eekamouse said:

What's the outside shot for Chaos Ogors to be a thing in the new book?

0 sadly

They do not sell the Chaos Ogors anymore, no do they show up in GHB 2018. The only options would be Proxy as Bullgors or Plague Ogors of Nurgle.

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1

The more I think about it, the worse the new command ability for  Beastlord looks. It requires me to activate him first, but he is way less damaging than Bestigors, messing up the alpha strike. Since the units being buffed will activate second, they are going to take a bad hit before they get to strike back.

So disappointed in GW for not fixing the Brayherd's only melee hero. :(

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

38 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

The more I think about it, the worse the new command ability for  Beastlord looks. It requires me to activate him first, but he is way less damaging than Bestigors, messing up the alpha strike. Since the units being buffed will activate second, they are going to take a bad hit before they get to strike back.

So disappointed in GW for not fixing the Brayherd's only melee hero. :(

It's hurt my enthusiasm, not gonna lie. I'm going to wait to see what Gor herds' "Anarchy and Mayhem" rule is like before I decide anything, though. There's only so much "every army gets a buff from their abilities except yours, you get to gamble for buffs" rules I can handle.

Well we'll just have to wait to see the synergy. Theorycrafting can only go so far, heck I remember Nighthaunt preview speculation where people were cheering for Kurdoss while not being too into Reikenor, yet now they're very much reversed in popularity.

I mean I'm sure everything will be usable, but Competitively it might end up being LON where some choices will always beat out others.

Edited by kenshin620

47 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

It's hurt my enthusiasm, not gonna lie. I'm going to wait to see what Gor herds' "Anarchy and Mayhem" rule is like before I decide anything, though. There's only so much "every army gets a buff from their abilities except yours, you get to gamble for buffs" rules I can handle.

Yeah here's hoping this release isn't just a lazy  cash-grab from GW. Hopefully they actually carefully thought about the rules and playtested them against top armies, and didn't just have an intern who's completely unfamiliar with the army make a minor change here and there.

I'm hoping we get a preview of something that isn't hot garbage this week. Preferably some miracle that will save the Beastlord from sitting on my shelf.

48 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Yeah here's hoping this release isn't just a lazy  cash-grab from GW. Hopefully they actually carefully thought about the rules and playtested them against top armies, and didn't just have an intern who's completely unfamiliar with the army make a minor change here and there.

I'm hoping we get a preview of something that isn't hot garbage this week. Preferably some miracle that will save the Beastlord from sitting on my shelf.

Yeah, I've been prowling the Warhammer Community page like Aqualung at a schoolyard hoping to see something new. I haven't given up my hopes yet, but they're pretty low.  "Phoned-in" isn't a great impression to start off with when building hype.

1 hour ago, decker_cky said:

One thing not factored into this - herdstone will now, in some way, be an armour debuff. Depending on the range and reach, beastlords might become a very reliable damage dealer against heroes.

A Beastlord could already get Rend -3 from a Realm Artefact to deal an average of 4.15 wounds per combat phase to a 4+ save hero, with a maximum of 6 wounds dealt. But even then Beastlords weren't very popular. 

1 hour ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

A Beastlord could already get Rend -3 from a Realm Artefact to deal an average of 4.15 wounds per combat phase to a 4+ save hero, with a maximum of 6 wounds dealt. But even then Beastlords weren't very popular. 

If the Herdstone is taking care of melting the enemy's armour off, why not give the Beastlord a Blade of Symmetry instead? Dealing double damage seems like a good way to make them more killy.

With no other buffs, Man-ripper Axes of Symmetry would deal ~5.5 wounds on average to an enemy Hero with a 4+ save. If the Herdstone provides the equivalent of -1 rend, that goes up to ~6.9 on average (max 12), which seems enough to reliably take out most normal heroes in one round?

We also have no idea what Allegiance artefacts, buff spells and other auras might be available to make the Beastlord more deadly. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

1 hour ago, Kadeton said:

why not give the Beastlord a Blade of Symmetry instead? 

Why not Anraheir's claw then (2 more dmg on a 6+ to wound) as it rerolls wounds against heroes having a higher chance to roll a 6. 

But you said it, these are just speculations we need the book to see what they gave us in terms of magic, traits, greatfreays, etc.. 

Something allowing a friendly unit to pile in and attack immediately after a Beastlord attacks would alleviate the command issue a little. Although I’d have hoped a rule like that would be on the warscroll rather than being a trait or artefact.

Maybe it’ll be part of one of the Greatfray rules?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ajay29 said:

Something allowing a friendly unit to pile in and attack immediately after a Beastlord attacks would alleviate the command issue a little. Although I’d have hoped a rule like that would be on the warscroll rather than being a trait or artefact.

Maybe it’ll be part of one of the Greatfray rules?

I certainly hope so! I love the Beastlord model and this would actually make him pretty good.

It's hard to take this all in while simultaneously doing a goat dance.  Seriously.  Dancing goat videos.  It's as good as cat videos.

This was pretty great, as it turned out most of the stuff I suggested (barring the renaming of the system to Age of Beastmar) was already in the book.

Age of Beastmar!

Shaggoths are wizards now. It’s super great.

Yes.  Yes that is super great.

Edited by Nin Win
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1