AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

25 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

But for me, i don't are if my Ungors even does 1 point of D, so i just have spears which now i wish I didn't for 1 reason.... they poke me.

Haha now there is a real world answer!

Getting stuff out of my box always causes me a stab or two so I'm going to save myself 30 more and stick with blades.

Many thanks. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

With that said, i still shop smart and i have only paid 60-70% retail for anything at the most. Box sets with GW small discounts, SC's, shop on days my local does "army sells" (buy 1000+ pts get 30% off) etc.. so its not to bad.

Oh yeah we've all done that.  Those old 12 Gor, 8 Ungor kits were blown out at the end of 7th when I picked up a lo of those boxes (so yeah, lots of painted Gors unused).  Also all 40+ of my Pesitgors were bought dirt cheap.  Even my 20 Centigors, I was paying like $10 for 5 on eBay when people wanted them gone and AoS was looming.  And in 2003 when the 6th ed book came out models like Gorthor were repackaged as were chariots so I snagged some.  Actually a staffer at GW built a 22 chariot army and he bitz ordered it all in different stages so he got it for pennies.  Ten cents a gram.  I doubt he paid $50 for the army and they were Troops back then haha.

• Like 1

Yeah. I have never paid retail for anything warhammer and never less than 20% off lol. Combine with used, you can basically get a full army for 40% off when said and done. I also am a collector, i want to be able to bring a full unit of anything. Well some of those units go to 12 mans when they will never be taken that large like DO's. I also want to use all Battalions if possible. That is a lot of models......

I'm more sad that i have 15 TEoD painted that i never even play anymore (Didn't like them but at 140 they were a steal, now at 180 i'll never play them other than 1 unit to summon for fun).

Edited by Maddpainting

So 've been idly making lists and keep wanting to put in things that I don't  have. Without much ability to get/make more stuff for the moment I was wanting some advice on how to best use what I have. My area has some good competitive players and I'd like to make them run for their money(when we eventually open). Every list I make with my stuff feels weird and ungainly. Am I just in the wrong mindset? I was playing them out of Khorne before.

Spoiler

2 Doombulls

2 beastlords

3 shamans

40 gors

30 bestigor

12 bullgor

10 ungor

10 ungor raiders

4 chariots

10 centigor

2 ghorgon/cygor

5 spawn

10 warhounds

*various minis to count as any of monsters *

Just ordered another Start Collecting Box 😂. So once I have the last 30 Ungors, I'm all set for my Desolating Beastherd and then I'll venture out to some other beasts... 

What should I go for next?

Edited by Oak7603
Because I can't type

At this point its going to be more about what flavor you want to add and or do you want some of the summoning units (Cockatrice, Chimera, etc...), something to think about is another 10-20 Raiders (or more) as they are always very useful for almost any list. Having just 2x10 is good, but having the option to make a 30man is also good.

• Like 1

I was going to go for 30 ungors, 30 raiders and 30 Bestigors with 10 Gors, a Beastlord, 2 Shamens and the Ghorgon in the battalion and I'll have a spare Ghorgon, Shamen and Cygor from the sets. I also have 2 spawn and I was planning on a Chimera to summon with the call points.

I don't want to go with a Chaos God and ally to any of those so I was just wondering what else is worth getting.

Thanks. I have seen a load of battle reports and they make out everything else is ****** for BoC and only ever seem to ally into one of the Chaos Gods. You never know, maybe a new battletome and units will come one day too 🤪

The Chaos gods gives us more army buffs basically. We were one of the very early books and they didn't really know where the power level was going to be at so we got less rules and even weaker rules. But at the same time we got some of the best rules IMO too. Gavepsawn, 1 drop battalion, Book sharing Battalions, etc..  While BoC can do better as BoK, HoS, etc.. its really just adding more damage to use, so a player can get most of what BoC does and able to deal damage easier. HoS BoC is by far the strongest we can play, its only slightly stronger, you are losing out of very good tools. What really is making it better is bringing on other units like a KoS, or for BoK bringing in Hexskulls, etc.. when you can bring in something we hugely lack, it feels good, but without those, its just a wash in abilities/power levels. I personally try not to play the other books, b.c i like BoC, i have everything i need to lay HoS, BoK, and DoT but its just not as fun.

About other units being ******. Well a lot are, like Hounds, there is no reason to ever take or summon them, they gain zero buffs, this is one of the worst problems with our book, Our "monster of chaos" units has zero support. If we just had 1 or 2 more minor army rules and maybe a trait to support the MoC, i think we would see a lot more different lists.  And if you lower their points as well (Tho some NEEDS a new warscroll)

Units with almost zero support
Warhounds
Jabberslythe
Cockatrice
Chaos Gargant
Chimera
Razorgor

Give them 1 Army rule and a Trait they could be extremely fun to play. Heck even a Battalion would work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I skipped over that part of the Battletome as I wanted a pure BoC army, and by concentrating on the Desolating Beastherd I havent looked at Bullgors or Doombulls either.

I think I'll stick with my Gavespawn Desolating Beastherd and either run or summon in the Ghorgon, Cygor, Shamen and Chimera. By the time I've managed to pay for and paint that lot maybe they'll be some changes like you say. And if not, I'll start at looking at the Chaos Gods.

Thanks for taking the time to chat this through.

• Like 1

I'm going to be playing a fun list in a couple days, i figure you guys would like it. Spot the combo?

Doombull (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)- General
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Chaos Lord (110)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)

6 x Chaos Spawn (300)
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Bestigors (120)
6 x Bullgors (280)
10 x Ungors (60)
10 x Ungors (60)
10 x Ungors (60)
10 x Ungors (60)

Depraved Drove (150)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

• Like 1

So this is what you meant yesterday. Am i right in thinking that the Battalion gives you the Slaanesh keyword so then the Chaos Lord and Sorcerer Lord are also given the same one so they are no longer an ally?

The Sorcerer and the Lord can then buff the Spawns with 2 combats and re-rolling saves on top of any buffs.

I'm BoC still. The battalion is just b.c i like battalions for CP/Relic/Drops taking a battalion give you the extra keywords but it doesn't take away BoC.  BoC can ally in StD anytime you want if you are playing as BoC. 

The Sorcerer and Chaos lord can both buff the Spawns b.c they are Mortal and STD keywords. B.c they are also spawns in Gavespawn they can give themselves +1atk while giving it also to the Bestigors or Bullgors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2020 at 2:58 AM, Oak7603 said:

@TheArborealWalrus

You have enough to run The Desolating Beastherd Battalion which is the one I've chosen to use when we all get to play again.

It's a one drop army that gives you extra hits when in the enemies area and then mixed with Gavespawn, you get a pretty mean Beastlord too. 

This is very good advice.  It is a good template for starting out.  Gavespawn and Desolating are ideal places to start.

23 hours ago, Oak7603 said:

I was going to go for 30 ungors, 30 raiders and 30 Bestigors with 10 Gors, a Beastlord, 2 Shamens and the Ghorgon in the battalion and I'll have a spare Ghorgon, Shamen and Cygor from the sets. I also have 2 spawn and I was planning on a Chimera to summon with the call points.

I would argue 40 Ungors isn't a bad idea.  200 points and on 25 mm bases you can really flood an objective and later game they aren't taking battleshock.  If you get a Chimera and you summon it in Gavespawn it will have the keyword Gavespawn so you can buff it.  

11 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Doombull (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)- General
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Chaos Lord (110)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)

6 x Chaos Spawn (300)
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Bestigors (120)
6 x Bullgors (280)
10 x Ungors (60)
10 x Ungors (60)
10 x Ungors (60)
10 x Ungors (60)

Depraved Drove (150)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

What spells do you take on your  GBSes?  I notice Tendrils of Atrophy is a default, sometimes with two but I like the +1A. 

6 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

I'm BoC still. The battalion is just b.c i like battalions for CP/Relic/Drops taking a battalion give you the extra keywords but it doesn't take away BoC.  BoC can ally in StD anytime you want if you are playing as BoC. 

The Sorcerer and Chaos lord can both buff the Spawns b.c they are Mortal and STD keywords. B.c they are also spawns in Gavespawn they can give themselves +1atk while giving it also to the Bestigors or Bullgors.

Do you ambush both the 10 Bestigors and a Spawn in hopes to launch some face wrecking?

I was thinking @Maddpainting (which doesn't happen often) that you could maybe do some visuals or synopsis of your game plan.  I recall you do a 3-layer approach.  But it would help people on the army if you explained the idea.  I know you've explained it a bit.  But maybe your next game write up a breakdown of how you deployed and moved and engaged as the game went on.

Sorry I keep picking on you but I find you're a great asset to this thread (positive, really good and willingly helpful) and hopefully future BoC players and being a previous mod at The Herdstone I'm still stuck in my old ways of trying to promote healthy learning and tell people if they love the BoC army keep with it and it's playable :)  

• LOVE IT! 1

This would be a great help for me, anything to build up my knowledge of this Army would be great. I feel that I have a good grasp of my Nighthaunt, mainly because there is so much to read and watch to fill in the blanks and build up on the nuances that bring out the abilities but with BoC, it just seems a huge mish mash that IMO is unwieldy for a beginner. I've got the Battletome but that doesn't seem enough. I feel like I need the Battletomes of StD, Slaanesh, Nurgle and Tzeentch too!

After watching the AoS Coach doing the BoC video, which was basically an advert for Desolating, I realised that I could build up a big army, all in one Battalion and then I could learn all the other bits as time goes on. Playing against my son helps but I'm looking forward to testing it on new people and different armies.... And also bear in mind, that up until 4 months ago I didnt even know what AoS was!!!

I definitely think its playable but having one eye on not buying models that may be obsolete with a new GHB or Battletome is a little distracting.

Felt like showing off my beastlord. Now with replaceable trophy arm and kung-fu grip on your enemies' throats!

I'm making trophies of most of the heroes from the armies in my area. Next I've got planned are an anointed and a blight lord.  Bonereapers, oruks, Tzeentch, and slyvaneth are after we open up and I can trade parts. My mission each game will be to build his story until my opponents treat him with appropriate terror and inevitably shoot him off the battlefield first, long before he reaches anything. Such is the way of things. But the fools know not that he will still be leading them, in his ascended (spawn) form! Muahahahahah!

Next project is dedicating my herdstone to Morghour. Plus the attendees of the stone.

Spoiler

IMG_20200602_112845775.jpg.d3b562a832a998fbe49ddda470fd767a.jpgIMG_20200602_112900175.jpg

IMG_20200602_113021801.jpgIMG_20200602_112947221.jpg

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
took up way too much space
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

@TheArborealWalrus The is nice, good work with the greenstuff.

PS Aetherbranch is the other relic

The main purpose is threat overload. 30 man block, spawns, buffed, and Bullgors/10man that can be buffed, 3 giant balls of death, still with some layers and summoning only to add more layers.

Well the play is basically to have layers of Ungors like normal and move up the Spawns keeping the Bestigors and Bullgors near. The 30man wont be able to get the buff from 6 spawns b.c well, its to big lol. The 10man is perfect tho, especially with the 4" pile ins so its easier, the bulls can easily get it too as 6mans are not very big.  The 30man is scary, normally it will be targeted quickly and they will instead be more of a 2nd (or first) wave, i like to play in waves if i can.

Spawns will act at more of a scare tactic with re-rolls all 1's and fight twice, but with 2x2D6 base then +3 attacks they actually can do damage, will focus on killing just enough to stall out as they are 30 wounds still, the 10man and or the bullgors gets +1-3 atks as well. The spawns are on average 60 attacks with 1/3 of the 3+/3+. 

Its not a super strong list, but its a different list, and different sometimes is all it takes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I managed to get a game in recently, and thought to let folks use it as an example (of what, I'm not sure, but oh well) or to live vicariously through my breaking of hermitage. It was a good game. We both enjoyed it, which is harder to achieve than one might think. It takes me back to when I started Khorne back when there weren't points. Massive casualties,  arm flailing shenanigans, and a victory that everyone feels okay with. I also got to try stuff! But to business. Of note, both of us were just doing whatever and I wouldn't call it a "competitive" game. (side note: surprised that centigors aren't an option in the desolating beastherd, weird *shrug*)

My list:

Spoiler

1990pts - Beastls of chaos -Gavespawn

- 150pts - desolating beastherd

90 pts - beastlord - general, mutating gnarlblade, unraveling aura

100pts - Brayshaman - vicious stranglethorn, aetherquartz broach

100pts - Brayshaman - Tendrils of atrophy

70pts - 10 gors - shields

120pts - 2 chariots

120pts - 2 chariots

120pts - 10 bestigor

120pts - 10 bestigor

60 pts - 10 ungor

80pts - 10 ungor raiders

80pts - 10 ungor raiders

80pts - 10 ungor raiders

160pts - ghorgon

- 50pts -chaos spawn

- 80pts - 5 centigor

50pts - command point

My opponent's list:

Spoiler

??? pts - Hedonites of Slaanesh - pretenders (I might have forgotten something, but if I did, rest assured that it did absolutely nothing of note.)

- ??pts  - Keeper of Secrets - general - + d3 damage,  + 2 attacks - healing spell

- ?pts- Contorted epitome 

- 260pts - chaos lord on karkadrak

- 200pts - 10 chaos warriors shields

- ?pts - 5 hellstriders

300pts- 40 chaos marauders

??pts - 3 varanguard - lances

??pts - 5 chaos knights - lances

50pts - commandpoint

??pts - floating mirror hand spell

Mission: Relocation orb - No scenery rules, malign sorcery in effect

Setup: There were lots of walls and graveyard fences creating two large streets that intersected with the central avenue. A tomb sat in the center. I placed a raider unit in the center and flanks to screen. On my right one of the bestigor units hid behind their meat shields. In the center I had the herdstone with all the heroes, sacrificial victims, the centigors, spawn, ghorgon, and bulls. the gors ambled on the left flank. I put the chariots and a bestigor unit in ambush. On my opponent's side of the table, the varanguard  occupied the left with the warriors riding the line between the two areas. In the center sat the marauders, the keeper, and the epitome. The right had the knights, lord, and on the extreme flank, the hellstriders.

Turn 1: I didn't want the responsibility of choosing who picked sides so I max dropped. He made me go first, so I knew what I had to do. Wall off the objective. My left shuffled while everything else move forward. The center raiders managed to get to 3 inches of my opponent's front line and I moved their siblings on the right centrally. The bestigors showed up on the right with a chariot squad while the others appeared on the left. 3 marauders were shot. Surprisingly the bestigors made their charge on the hellstriders without room for the chariots and the varanguard were tied down too. In combat 4 striders died and in a surprise show no wounds got past the chariots armor and they slew a varanguard in return. Certainly more than I expected. No one fled. His turn. The marauders and the keeper were trapped by the ungor raiders and thus shuffled. The epitome cast the mirror in the center of my lines and struck the herdstone shaman for 4 wounds and failed to harm the general. The varanuard retreated to let the chaos warriors in on the chariots while the right hand bestigors were surrounded by the cavalry. The bestigors and raiders were both annihilated and the chariots in a surprise move (seriously, there were like 12 wounds to save) only took 2 wounds and killed a warrior in return.

Turn 2: I won priority and chose to take it. My lord was exposed, and it simply wouldn't do for him to die having done nothing. (in actuality, he could have ripped the heart out of my army if I gave it to him) The orb moved to my side of the map during the turn over I forgot that I had the taurous and instead cast stranglethorn, doing 3 to the marauders and keeper. The other shaman dispelled the mirror. The various archers managed another 3 wounds on the keeper and killed 2 marauders. I moved the lord to the marauders while the ghorgon and bulls made their way to the keeper. and the remaining bestigors got to the center. I used my unoccupied chariots to  tag the cavalry and tie it down. Unfortunately the ghorgon failed a 5 inch charge twice and thus I shelved my plans to kill the keeper this turn (locus is spooky). The bestigors made a long charge into the  marauders and in a silly move I went with the lord first. He has first combat rights after all, it only made sense. I definitely wasn't glory seeking. In an unfortunate move he whiffed and only killed 9 of them ("only"). In return the bestigors died and he took 3 wounds. Not good. The chariots whiffed and then I lost one of them to the return. On the right a knight was killed for no return wounds. A command point prevented the marauders from running. His turn. The keeper healed 3 wounds from a spell and did a mortal to the boss. The mirror got sent back out. I don't remember what the varanguard did, but it didn't amount to much. The keeper  and epitome charged  the ghorgon and the chaos lord joined the chariot fight. The spawn and ghorgon died, healing the keeper to full, a chariot went down on both flanks, A knight was slain and to my surprise and delight, the lord managed to save 9 wounds where one would have been his doom. He promptly missed all his attacks, but totally worth it.

Turn 3: My opponent won the roll off and took it. The orb move back into the center. The warriors and varanguard moved up the left while most of his stuff was pinned in place. The warriors caught the raiders and the keeper made it to the bulls. The lone hellstider from the right charged the right hand raiders and suffered a wound for his trouble. 4 raiders died on the left and the bulls were wiped out with the chariot on the right. Alas the lord did not survive but he did turn into a spawn who killed a marauder. My turn: I cast the tauros and did 3 to the marauders and keeper while the other shaman failed to cast. I summoned two chariots with my 8 points and they landed on my opponent's side to engage his reinforcements. I pulled the centigors and roaming shaman onto the objective. By this point I had a non engagement policy with most of my survivors who just waited to be murdered. Both of my reinforcement chariots made their charges. One killed a knight and between the spawn lord and it, killed 12 marauders. The lord also repeated a similar feat of survival and only took 2 wounds from 7 maurauders. I'm proud to say, that the last raiders also managed to finish the hellstrider. Good job kids. Command point for morale on the marauders.

Turn 4: I won the roll off and the objective went back to my overrun left flank. I decided that there was no way I could hold it, so I gave him first turn. He summoned an epitome to reinforce his marauders and healed his characters. I think he killed about half the gors with spells. At this point casualties were irrelevant, so I'm not sure. The varanguard and epitome charged the remaining gors who happened to be sitting on the objective. They died. The keeper charged the knot of survivors that previously held the objective and  wiped them out. The summoned epitome charged the chariot, killing it while the marauders finally finished the spawn lord for 4 casualties. The chaos lord went for the raiders but failed his charge. The shaman spawn did 3 wounds to the keeper in vengeance. My turn: The raiders did 2 wounds to the epitome in shooting while my last shaman and the 5 remaining sacrifices moved to take the objective. One wizard, 2 varanguard, and a chaos warrior were all that stood in their way. (plus the other 8 warriors if I dragged them in.) I failed to cast anything  but managed to charge only the epitome with both units, taking the objective. Now I just had to survive it's attacks. The sacrifices managed to avoid being enthralled and did 3 wounds to the epitome, not enough. In return she killed them all. Standing victorious, she didn't notice the spawn the shaman had become and it managed to finish her. Not enough to take it, but I'll claim morale victory.

Turn 5: I won the roll off and we called it He was going to wipe out my army (I had 10 raiders left and the chariot fighting the knights) but He also could not catch up in points. (he also had enough depravity to summon a keeper, not that it mattered)

The final score was 5 to 2 (or 4 If I went first). I had fun. So did he. I didn't expect to be able to kill much and I wasn't disappointed. Overall I felt everyone did admirably. No real underperformers. I don't count the units that got locused and then double pile inned. Wasn't their fault. Epitomes are freaking powerful. They're good in every phase and are effectively immune to mortal wounds. Crazy. Speaking of crazy, I misused the lord, but he was still beautiful. I'm not a big fan of bestigor. They're good, but they die to a stiff breeze, even with their better armor. I have trouble using them properly. The chariots did wonderfully. Killing, surviving, they did it all. Cheap too. Its between them and the lord for MVP. Holding up the marauders for 2 full turns? Well done. Also killed around 16 of them in total by himself (I count his spawn's actions as his). Everything did what I expected or better, so I'm not sur what to play around with next. Overall, good game.

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Like 2

I plan on running a block of 40 ungor raiders for bowmen, and im looking for a shield wall in front of them. Should I go with Chaos Warriors or Gors with shields? The gors provide more bodies and wounds while the warriors have the ability to shrug mortal wounds, so its really a toss up to me. Im either running 10 warriors or 30 gors, both 200 points either way.