AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

You right about the Trumpet , Its hard to keep all my games straight, we play all the time and i play different lists everytime.  i had a +1 from Grashrak, b.c its 1 giant blob i put down (Raiders, Bulls, BL Hero, and sometimes a Ghorgon for fun games), the Trumpet was for the 30 block of Raiders, i like them b.c they are smaller footprint and can kill smaller units like Sinks or SCE birds.

The Trumpet is only for Brayherd, so i'm guessing bulls targeted the Grashrak power, but whats really cool about the horn also is it works on all attacks (not just melee).

B.c i Ambush turn 2 its easy to get the spell off (PS for some reason he isnt playing with Wizards and cant disspell, but he gets to freaking shooting 2-3x in the hero phase and shooting phase, with lots of Birds to move/block when you try to charge him)

Please share your thoughts on the following list.

Each unit of Dragon Ogors is teamed with a Dragon Ogor Shaggoth, ensuring every such unit re-rolls ones on the attack. The two big units take/contest the forward-most objectives, while the smaller unit of Dragon Ogors either screens or plays the backfield until late game. The Bullgors tackle the biggest threat on the board, often buffed by Sundering Blades. The Great Bray-Shaman casts Balewind Vortex to be able to cast Wild Rampage across the the battlefield, so that, alongside a successfully cast Call Lightning, both big units of Dragon Ogors re-roll their to wound rolls. Ungors are sacrificed by the Great Bray-Shaman for Primordial Call points, which summon additional screening units.

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Allherd
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
- General
- Trait: Dominator
- Artefact: Horn of the Tempest
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
- Artefact: Blade of the Desecrator
- Lore of Dark Storms: Thunderwave
- Lore of Dark Storms: Hailstorm
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Wild Rampage

Battleline
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)
- 6x Draconic War glaives
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)
- 6x Draconic War glaives
3 x Dragon Ogors (140)
- 3x Draconic War glaives
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Great Axes

Battalions
Thunderscorn Stormherd (190)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 144

I'm playing around with all dragon ogres (well i was before Slaanesh......) I was doing no Greatfrey so i could get Father of the Storm, Horn of Tempest and Ghystrike (+1 to hit and to wound, thats really good on a Shaggoth), 3 Shaggoths + 18 Dragons, then some ungors for objectives.

I also have Cogs, so i am almost 100% turn 1 charges,  (D6 re-roll, 8" + D6, +2", charge 2D6+2", on average that is a total o f 18" then the charge +2").

It's my first tournament at my local gaming shop tomorrow and this is what I'm running. As a tournament newbie and knowing that there are skaven, FEC and Slaanesh players attending I am anticipating three straight losses but I'd be interested to know if you think I've put a decent list together (or not!):

Gavespawn with Desolating Beastherd:

Beastlord w/ Gnarlblade.
Bray Shaman
Grashrak
Tzaangor Shaman w/ Knowing Eye

3 x 10 Bestigors
Chaos Spawn (for the command ability buff)
10 Warhounds (backfield screen)
30 Ungor Raiders
Grashrak's Dudes (sacrifice)
10 Gors w/ Shields (chaff)
10 Ungors (chaff)

Ghorgon

Wildfire Taurus
Balewind Vortex (for Grashrak to sit on and sacrifice his dudes and blast out his savage bolt over long range).
Suffocating Gravetide (because I had 20 pts and we're playing the tournament in Shyish)

• Like 2

Quick update on the tournament list i posted at the end of the week now the tournament is over. I came 9th out of 18 so for my first time i'm pretty pleased. 

Played squig heavy gloomspite, skryre skaven and troggoths with rogue idol. 

The highlight was the beastlord with gnarlblade killing a collosal squig in the first round of combat after ambush.

Lowlight was the fact that its hard to kill even a single troggoth with their 4+ armour and 5+ feel no pain. Any suggestion as to how to deal with that is welcomed.

Summoning chariots kept me alive in the skaven game as there were 12 stormfiends, 30 acolytes ans 6 jezzails shooting the hell out of everything.

Biggest mistake was ambushing ungor raiders and a screen of bestigor without a hero for inspiring presence so one round of shooting and combat with some stormfiends finished them off.

Any further suggestions are still welcomed as i believe there'll be another club tournament in the early new year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Forehead said:

Quick update on the tournament list i posted at the end of the week now the tournament is over. I came 9th out of 18 so for my first time i'm pretty pleased. 

The highlight was the beastlord with gnarlblade killing a collosal squig in the first round of combat after ambush.

Lowlight was the fact that its hard to kill even a single troggoth with their 4+ armour and 5+ feel no pain. Any suggestion as to how to deal with that is welcomed.

Summoning chariots kept me alive in the skaven game as there were 12 stormfiends, 30 acolytes ans 6 jezzails shooting the hell out of everything.

Biggest mistake was ambushing ungor raiders and a screen of bestigor without a hero for inspiring presence so one round of shooting and combat with some stormfiends finished them off.

Any further suggestions are still welcomed as i believe there'll be another club tournament in the early new year.

Awesome, thanks for the update.

Glad to hear you got on well.

How did you find Grashrak with the Balewind worked? Was it successful or was it hard to get the spells off when needed?

I absolutely love Ghorgons, did he work well for you?

What kind of units did you summon in the game? Spawn?

Edited by Tullbeard

Grashrak's spell with the extra 6" range was useful from the top of the vortex but sometimes i wished i had a normal shaman with devolve for pulling people over screens or away from objectives. He was a new addition this week and i found sacrificing his despoiler dudes primordial points then sacrificing himself really helpful.

I got the bull off in all 3 games and gravetide in shyish was good but struggled with the spells that needed 7 to cast.

Ghorgon was great in 2/3 of the games and i had the spawn follow him around for his +1 melee attack command ability from gavespawn. Like having titanic fury on tap and lethal when i stacked them up.

Summoning was mainly cheap units, chariots to prevent missile weapons, ungors and gors for late game objective grabbing. I summoned a cockatrice for a bit of indulgence but he got stuck fighting a regenerating troggoth unit for most of the game.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, Forehead said:

Rockguts are 5+ save and 5+ shrug (fnp) so bestigors will do a tiny bit better against them next time. The way to get them is to let them come to you and hit them on the sides of their line (if it’s a large unit) that way they’re going to be stuck and even with 2” range they’ll be hard pressed to get all their attacks back. 

Also the Taurus and horn work very well here by reducing their 2 attacks power. Throwing high damage at them also works very well.

i don’t know if it fits your style, but I prefer to never ambush the raiders. They can (depending on your opponent) be a great forward screen. Because you’re using the first turn move, you can really push them forward and make sure there’s a small wall that your opponent has to hit or dedicate shots/spells at times get to the guys behind.

Nice placement! 

• Like 2

So I’ve been getting my self together and finally made the push to get my flee-ridden friends on the field. I’m going to a tournament this weekend where I’ll be up against a lot of the higher-ranking dudes in the ITC. This will be my first tournament with my beasts army as I’m setting my stormcast to the side for a bit.

Im going to be going for a small drop list focusing on summoning ASAP with Allherd.  The double viletide is there just for situational use. I’m more interested in casting the endless spells and pulling other units to me. 

Twin Ghorgons seem to work better and I’m going to use the one blob of Gors for summoning. Reasoning being that no-one in a back line wants to charge 30 gors that will have essentially a rend of -1.

1 shaman/Beastlord runs up with the majority of the bestigors and ghorgons. Raiders form a far forward screen to get some shooting in and stopping any hammers from hitting right away and hopefully bogging them down. 

Warriors are there because they function fairly well without any support and putting Tzangie shaman in without dedicating more points to it is basically putting a giant bullseye in between his cute little chicken head.

Unless I’m outdropped, which is super unlikely, I have the potential to start with 8 summoning points worst being 5. So that’s a good elite unit or a couple more ungor raiders in the back line to pepper whatever.

Thoughts?

Chaos - Beasts of Chaos

Chaos Warriors  2x 5 Chaos Warriors, Chaos Hand Weapons and Chaos Runeshields, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Depraved Drove
. Beastlord: Dominator, General
. Beastlord: Blade of the Desecrator
. Bestigors: 10 Bestigors, Banner bearers, Brayhorns
. Ghorgon
. Ghorgon
. Gors: 3x 10 Gors, Banner bearers, Brayhorns, Gor Blade and Beastshield
. Great Bray-shaman: 3. The Knowing Eye,  Viletide
. Great Bray-shaman: Viletide
. Ungor Raiders: 10 Ungor Raiders
. Ungor Raiders: 10 Ungor Raiders

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Beasts of Chaos: Allherd

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Suffocating Gravetide 

Endless Spell: Wildfire Taurus 

+ Command Points +

Purchased Command Points [50pts]: 1 Command Point

++ Total: [1,990pts] ++

Edited by Derptau
Forgot to post the list

I must have imagined the save was a 4+ as it looked like no wounds were making it through! :)

I'll also have to try not ambushing the raiders. The reroll 1's and 2's when the unit is 30 large makes them a powerful tool for getting rid of an entire unit on their flank.

How are you getting up to 8 primordial points in turn 1? 1CP for turn, 1CP for batallion, 1CP purchased + 1 CP for Knowing eye + D3 PP for summoning makes it 5-7 PP in turn 1 in my head? If there's a way to get 8 I need to know :)

I think if you've got 2 ghorgons it might be worth giving one of the shamans Titanic Fury. 

Ive showed the math many times but again here it is:

Allherd CP with aetherbrooche and Knowing Eye.

Bat:1, CP:1, Turn:1, Bought:1, Knowingeye: 50/50, With 4.5CP to start and 5+ to gain more thats 1.5 extra (so you have 1 or 2 rolls to get 1 more CP, on average you will get it 1/2 the time with knowing eye working), with the Herdstone and the free PC, its a good average of 8 every turn 1, with a better average of 9, lowest you can get is 6, highest you can get with 3 aetherbrooche lucky rolls is 12 (mean of 9).

Edited by Maddpainting

Hey guys so I was wondering....

Does any one have any decent 3D printable files for good looking Centigors ?

I tire of converting my own,  and the old GW ones are not only expensive, ancient but also scale wise smaller than the rest of our line. 

Rather than hoping GW actually gets of their ass and does something with these old sculpts (razorgors included. I mean look at the cool looking boars Mierce Mini have to offer), and or painstainkingly converting my own I was wondering if maybe someone out here has a 3D printable file for some correctly scaled, nice looking ones ?

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Grashrak and Friends  - do they by any chance count as a single unit in terms of drops and allies contingent? Seeing as you can't have one without the other...

I'd like to ally both him and a Contorted Epitome into my Nurgle army, but the way I see it if they are counted as separate I could only do that if I had 9 other units, so 12 in total.

I'm hoping the winter FAQ will make the battalions like Pestilent Throng keyword battalions...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheVenerableBede said:

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Grashrak and Friends  - do they by any chance count as a single unit in terms of drops and allies contingent? Seeing as you can't have one without the other...

I'd like to ally both him and a Contorted Epitome into my Nurgle army, but the way I see it if they are counted as separate I could only do that if I had 9 other units, so 12 in total.

I'm hoping the winter FAQ will make the battalions like Pestilent Throng keyword battalions...

I am not very far into the competitive scene, but you pay points for one of the selections, so it seems like it should be one drop, IMO. 

I really hope they make the battalions keywords as well - it would make Grashrak much better

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forehead said:

I second this request!

Centigors and Razorgors are the two models I don't have for my army because they are ludicrously expensive. (I didn't realise the centigors were smaller). The warscroll for Centigors looks good on the charge.

I third this request >_> I bought what I thought were  old metal centigor models off ebay for cheap, thought I had scored a huge deal only to discover they were gor toros glued to the bottom of plastic farm animals

bit on the small side

75412240_2479180275672904_3164166036903690240_n.jpg

• Like 1

So, to follow up on my last comment where I talked about 3D printed Centigors....

I looked around and found some regular, decent looking centaurs. The problem though, was just that..... centaurs. So head swapping at the very least, greenstuffing fur and such more likely then not needed.

As such I tried to give it a go myself, and used the "Hero Forge" application to create your custom build 3D model.

The scale is a bit of an issue, as I need to do some measurements if I ever wanna send this to be printed out, but this is mostly a proof of concept, that.... YES it can be done! And to a decent enough degree!

Proof of Concept - 3D Printable Centigors (different poses).

Spoiler

Screenshot.png.ff84a31a97967d61febfc8282434bb2f.png428837451_Screenshot(3).png.8bc62bbb595bfe9becd627068cfcc6e2.png292641991_Screenshot(2).png.da44df8cfc32b632eacd23a132426224.png374524061_Screenshot(1).png.a4f34a0bff8f540bde4bd7e8e0c3ded4.png

To save myself the trouble, I opted for a fur themed costume and used a Dog head, instead of a human one. Not perfect but pretty close without the need to replace it.  I kept the base in the picture to give an idea on the scale.

Just slap some extra bitz or GS parts on it and there you go. Alternatively take any head and replace it manually with a Gor head. Done

So yeah, its a viable solution. Depending on the price of the file and the price of the printing this might be a much more affordable and time saving option then going with the outdated GW ones, or painstakingly converting your own :) 

Edited by Myrdin

17 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Grashrak Fellhoof and his unit are 2 different units, it says this on their warscroll, they act as 2 drops in total. When taking in a battalion the his unit can not be in that battalion, so you'll have the battalion with Grashrak Fellhoof himself, then his unit will be a separate drop.

I dont think you can use him in the battalions though. At least with pestilent throng the requirement is Great Bray Shaman but not the keyword, the warscroll. 

Side question: Is there anything in the rules that mandates I deploy a unit on my army list? Like what If I REALLY wanted to go first, but had grashrek and his bois. Could I simply choose NOT to deploy the despoilers?

44 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I dont think you can use him in the battalions though. At least with pestilent throng the requirement is Great Bray Shaman but not the keyword, the warscroll. 

Side question: Is there anything in the rules that mandates I deploy a unit on my army list? Like what If I REALLY wanted to go first, but had grashrek and his bois. Could I simply choose NOT to deploy the despoilers?

Well unless they had an ability that lets you set them up at a different point, there's really no way to do what you want