AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 9/2/2018 at 7:40 AM, Ajay29 said:

Just got a complete brayherd army today... twiddling my thumbs waiting for the new battletome, I wanna know what my new stuff does!

It probably won't happen (because they aren't stormcast) but I'd love to see Beastmen become the new top tier army. Would be great to see them get time in the sun.

I don't even play Beastmen, though I like the models. I have my fingers crossed that the Battletome gives some really powerful new rules for them.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 123lac said:

It probably won't happen (because they aren't stormcast) but I'd love to see Beastmen become the new top tier army. Would be great to see them get time in the sun.

I don't even play Beastmen, though I like the models. I have my fingers crossed that the Battletome gives some really powerful new rules for them.

I don’t even want them to be a top tier army. I already get grumbles when I get my nurgle out, I just want some decent battalions, some wild spells and enough warscroll changes to have a fighting chance on the battlefield against everything!

1 hour ago, Atreides said:

What do you guys think of Ungor Raiders? I like the models and would love to field quite a few of these fellows.

I like having a ranged unit, and Ungor Raiders are all we've got atm. They're not bad though; a big unit of 40 to keep those rerolls of 1's and 2's going is pretty effective.  Unfortunately with the changes to terrain rules they're not as effective as they used to be when you put them down next to the herdstone.

• Like 2

Anyone drawing up so BoC lists yet? Of course we don't know what units are effective and what synergies we can have, but very stoked I can finally add some Goats to my (up to now) pure Warherds army, without worrying about the 400pt limit ;)

For my 1.5k with the units I have, I'm thinking this (not meant to be hugely competitive):

LEADERS
Beastlord (90)
- Pair of Man-ripper Axes
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Doombull (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Lord of War
- Pair of Axes
- Artefact : Crown of Conquest

UNITS
10 x Bestigors (120)
20 x Gors (160)
-Gor-Blades & Beastshields
3 x Bullgors (160)
-Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (160)
-Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (160)
-Great Axes

BEHEMOTHS
Cygor (180)
Ghorgon (200)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Anyone else pre planning? Of course my pendulum may well be replaced by a new endless spell ;)

So excited!

50 minutes ago, ClockworkGeo91 said:

Anyone drawing up so BoC lists yet? Of course we don't know what units are effective and what synergies we can have, but very stoked I can finally add some Goats to my (up to now) pure Warherds army, without worrying about the 400pt limit ;)

For my 1.5k with the units I have, I'm thinking this (not meant to be hugely competitive):

LEADERS
Beastlord (90)
- Pair of Man-ripper Axes
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Doombull (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Lord of War
- Pair of Axes
- Artefact : Crown of Conquest

UNITS
10 x Bestigors (120)
20 x Gors (160)
-Gor-Blades & Beastshields
3 x Bullgors (160)
-Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (160)
-Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (160)
-Great Axes

BEHEMOTHS
Cygor (180)
Ghorgon (200)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Anyone else pre planning? Of course my pendulum may well be replaced by a new endless spell ;)

So excited!

As long as Brayherds are allies there is a problem in the list. Since 2.0 you need 3 Units of the Allegiance for every 1 allied unit (this is in Matched Play too). With your 4 Brayherd Units you would need 12 Warherd Units but there are only 6 in the List.

38 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

As long as Brayherds are allies there is a problem in the list. Since 2.0 you need 3 Units of the Allegiance for every 1 allied unit (this is in Matched Play too). With your 4 Brayherd Units you would need 12 Warherd Units but there are only 6 in the List.

My assumption will be that there will be a 'new allegiance' within the Beasts Of Chaos Battletome which will remove the need for such considerations

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ClockworkGeo91 said:

My assumption will be that there will be a 'new allegiance' within the Beasts Of Chaos Battletome which will remove the need for such considerations

The problem is, we don't know yet, what the Battletome will give us (except for the Endless Spells and the Stone).

We don't know if Bullgors will be "Battleline if" in a new Allegiance or if they will stay battleline in Warherds (like Blood Knights are still only Battleline in a Soulblight Army, not in the Legions.

I would wait with those assumptions until we have evidence what the Battletome will give us.

Edited by EMMachine

6 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

The problem is, we don't know yet.

We don't know if Bullgors will be "Battleline if" in a new Allegiance or if they will stay battleline in Warherds (like Blood Knights are still only Battleline in a Soulblight Army, not in the Legions.

I would wait with those assumptions until we have evidence what the Battletome will give us.

I understand your pragmatism - however I am making assumptions based upon what we saw with LoN and this:

image.png.d64fbf10761dce9b98dd133ddec9a77f.png

I think it is fair to say it will be a 'single army' - with a 'overlapping allegiance' that means we can use Goats and Bulls in a single force without worrying about 'allies'.

I take your point about bullgors being battle line - list above could be easily fixed by splitting up/or adding gors. 

I'd highly doubt they will bring us a tome and keep these forces splintered, so I will feel free to conceptualize lists based on the positive mindset that BoC will allow us to build a single army with bulls and goats as one again/ 

Edited by ClockworkGeo91
Grammar is tough man
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClockworkGeo91 said:

I understand your pragmatism - however I am making assumptions based upon what we saw with LoN and this:

image.png.d64fbf10761dce9b98dd133ddec9a77f.png

I think it is fair to say it will be a 'single army' - with a 'overlapping allegiance' that means we can use Goats and Bulls in a single force without worrying about 'allies'.

This could simply mean, that they have one Allegiance but need Gors and/or Ungors as Battleline because those two are true battlelines.

• Like 2

It still really confuses me why Soulblight in LoN exists when they also made the Vampire-Centric Legion of Blood (yes I know they're 2 different allegiances, with soulblight giving blood knight battleline, but why didn't they just combined them?). Hopefully they learned their lesson and don't have 2 similarly themed allegiances (like Warherd vs Bloodfeast Gorgers or something).

• Like 1

Managed to score an absolute gem of an army from a social media friend. 

1 Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

3 Dragon Ogres

20 Gors

20 Ungors 

10 Bestigors

2 Shaman

2 Beast Lords

Im already in possession of 30 Tzaangors so looks like I'm off to a decent start. Just need to wait for the battletome so I can start to work out what's what. Really looking forward to release now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

Managed to score an absolute gem of an army from a social media friend. 

1 Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

3 Dragon Ogres

20 Gors

20 Ungors 

10 Bestigors

2 Shaman

2 Beast Lords

Im already in possession of 30 Tzaangors so looks like I'm off to a decent start. Just need to wait for the battletome so I can start to work out what's what. Really looking forward to release now.

That is a pretty sweet start! Jealous of your Tzaangors and Dragon Ogres!

Grab a Ghorgon!

On 8/28/2018 at 10:58 PM, Popisdead said:

Well those operate differently.   With the newly named Unpredictable Destruction and an MSU style play you would probably lean too heavily on the one doombull and that's not the true horde style. It isn't uncommon to have Doombulls hitting and wounding on 2s already.  

How did you get a Chaos Sorcerer lord in a Warherd or Brayherd army?  Sounds like generic chaos?

Yes generic Chaos as I only have 1K of Warherds. I fill the rest with Khorne. Their job it to screen units, tie things up, and do other useless things like grab objectives. But its all a distraction from the real objective which is to plow my giant cows into combat and chop the enemy to pieces!

In all seriousness, I take the Artifact on one Doombull, my general is another, and the other buffs come from spell casters (CSL and a Bray Shaman). So it is all fairly spread around. I can make a super crazy Doombull, or pile the buffs onto another unit and leave the Doombull alone since the artefact is damn good by itself.

So far getting the extra attacks more reliably (+ to wound stacking) seems better than having extra damage per hit, but I haven't found a mathhammer site/app that can reliably calculate if that is really true. In any case the CSL's re-roll ability is the best thing out there for Warherd units, since every hit counts, and potentially counts double!

Edited by Colonel Cabbage
Spelling and missing word.

1 hour ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

Just read the Warscroll. I'm getting one!

Good move!

He's a great center piece aside from anything else, so is an attention soak.

As you have read he has some great attacks, but can be total hit or miss.

For an example of a hit, see this battle report - look what he does on his first turn and then the attention he gets: 

Yes he can completely whiff and his save isn't great but again he can get a good roll and eat a unit and will certainly give your opponent a distraction! All for only 200pts, he is definitely worth those points.

Plus he looks sweeeeeet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, as expected:

• brayherd allegiance 
  • warherd allegiance
  • thunderscorn allegiance
  • tzaangor stuff, and
  • a selection from monsters of chaos.

From monsters of chaos:

• jabberslythe
  • centigors
  • gargant
  • chimera
  • cockatrice, and
  • razorgor.

So far no big surprises (aside from 3 flying monsters, including 2 finecast, making the cut), and no new or returned units that weren't included in the grand alliance. 

Also no beastlord with great weapon. 

Edited by decker_cky