Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gaz Taylor

AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Recommended Posts

Gooood question. It would appear I need to add that :) I'll post here when it's added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Nice! How do I add my Greatfray? 

Added! Check under "Allegiances"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daviseford said:

Breaking news! We just added Beasts of Chaos to  AoS Reminders

Check it out!

This is pretty cool. Is there an option to download the summary and print it or is this for online use only ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Myrdin said:

This is pretty cool. Is there an option to download the summary and print it or is this for online use only ?

You can print it by hitting "Print Page". You can download it by hitting "Print Page" and then "Save as PDF" :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, daviseford said:

Breaking news! We just added Beasts of Chaos to  AoS Reminders

Check it out!

Why have i never seen this before?!??!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how are people fairing w/ BoC nowadays?  I'm looking at a 90 Bestigor build but am hesitant to pull the trigger.  Thinking 3 Bestigor blocks with min Ungor Raider screens.  Is this legit?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 90 bestigor in 3 units of 30 wound be very unwieldy.. Bestigor dont have reach and have bad leadership.. So a big block is just letting your opponent focus fire them down pretty hard. I have had great luck with smaller units. 6 units of 10 would be cheaper then 3 units of 30 and i think more effective

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ajmaus said:

I think 90 bestigor in 3 units of 30 wound be very unwieldy.. Bestigor dont have reach and have bad leadership.. So a big block is just letting your opponent focus fire them down pretty hard. I have had great luck with smaller units. 6 units of 10 would be cheaper then 3 units of 30 and i think more effective

You are forgetting the bulk discount for 30 goat strong.  So the price difference is not really a big thing consider the volume of bodies you are getting.

Now as far as the whole Idea, I second Ajmaus. 90 bestigors on the table will be rather detrimental to the health of your side of the board. It will clog the table and slow down most of your stuff, other than fliers.  Also as pointed out, no 2" range is a huge deal as you wont be able to utilize those numbers.

While its true that Bestigors are best served as MSU, it also good to point out that running one blob of 30 and 2-4 drone units of 10 is also pretty viable.

Especially if accompanied by some other big threats like a Chimera or Gorghon, they will keep the attention of your opponent and his strongest stuff on them. After all you cant ignore that unit, less you`re asking for a beating. This will allow the drone units of 10 Bestigors to either flank or engage into small skirmishes and it will be more agile than 3 big units of 90 models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have people tried running blocks of gors with dragon ogres behind them with there 2" reach? sort of a stronger screen than the typical ungor bestigor combo? Anyone running gors now that they are cheaper with the ghb19?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, clamo said:

have people tried running blocks of gors with dragon ogres behind them with there 2" reach? sort of a stronger screen than the typical ungor bestigor combo? Anyone running gors now that they are cheaper with the ghb19?

I've seen this suggested before and only problem I can see with this is generally speaking you want to be charging with your Dragon Ogors and to successfully complete a charge you have to finish your move within 1/2" of an enemy model?

It's difficult to do that with a screen of Gors/Ungors between you and the enemy model - but then again striking first isn't so much an issue if they can't reach you with their weapons, I guess?

Then again, I don't necessarily think Dragon Ogors need a screen - they aren't a glass cannon.

Edited by The Alchemist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

I've seen this suggested before and only problem I can see with this is generally speaking you want to be charging with your Dragon Ogors and to have successfully complete a charge you have to finish your move within 1/2" of an enemy model?

It's difficult to do that with a screen of Gors/Ungors between you and the enemy model - but then again striking first isn't so much an issue if they can't reach you with their weapons, I guess?

Then again I don't think Dragon Ogors need a screen necessarily - they aren't a glass cannon.

This!

How can you make a screen with your Gors if you can't charge with your Ogors. You HAVE to end the first model within half an inch right?

 

9 hours ago, Deadkitten said:

So how are people fairing w/ BoC nowadays?  I'm looking at a 90 Bestigor build but am hesitant to pull the trigger.  Thinking 3 Bestigor blocks with min Ungor Raider screens.  Is this legit?  

I love Bestigors! I'm working on painting up my 4th and 5th unit of Bestigors. I honestly like them more in units of 20, but the point discount can sometimes make it worth it. I love them with my new crush: Chaos Sorcerer Lord (allied from StD). In the gavespawn greatfray and with a Chaos Sorcerer Lord they can absolutely do a lot of damage. 

But against elite armies they are terrible, because you can never get the amount of models in that you want.

I think Bestigors are most effective in units of 10 or 20 (choosing between mobility or sheer force size) but can certainly sometimes be worth the point discount to work with 30. 

I would never play with JUST blobs of 30 though I think. At least not when playing with objectives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, clamo said:

have people tried running blocks of gors with dragon ogres behind them with there 2" reach? sort of a stronger screen than the typical ungor bestigor combo? Anyone running gors now that they are cheaper with the ghb19?

Dragon ogors reach weapon is only 1 dmg..  The best unit for this strat is enlightened on foot.. You can plop them into the middle of gors or ungor and odds are the enemy will attack first which triggers their reroll hits and wounds ability

Edited by Ajmaus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have generally found this strategy to favor bullgors. Dragon Ogors have both speed and durability, so they don't really need a screen and having it just slows them down and gets in their way. Dragon Ogors' biggest drawback is their damage output, they are best used on soft targets or to be used as blockers for your harder hitting units. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i need help doing a nice 1k list using gavespawn.

if you would make it as good as possible, how would it look like?

 

thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MeSmashDaNoobs said:

i need help doing a nice 1k list using gavespawn.

if you would make it as good as possible, how would it look like?

 

thanks in advance!

Hey man! I have a 1K tournament coming up and have been playtesting for weeks. For me, this worked best so far:

1 Beastlord, general with the artefact

1 Great bray Shaman, vicious stranglethorns

1 Chaos sorcerer lord

10 bestigors

10 bestigors

10 bestigors

10 bestigors

10 Ungors with maul and shields

1 chaos spawn

and the only thing i’m unsure about:

1 tuskgor chariot or 10 more Ungor.

I only have one more playtest to run and that is with one unit of Bestigor less and without the sorcerer and adding a blob with 40 Ungors.

  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Hey man! I have a 1K tournament coming up and have been playtesting for weeks. For me, this worked best so far:

1 Beastlord, general with the artefact

1 Great bray Shaman, vicious stranglethorns

1 Chaos sorcerer lord

10 bestigors

10 bestigors

10 bestigors

10 bestigors

10 Ungors with maul and shields

1 chaos spawn

and the only thing i’m unsure about:

1 tuskgor chariot or 10 more Ungor.

I only have one more playtest to run and that is with one unit of Bestigor less and without the sorcerer and adding a blob with 40 Ungors.

alright sounds like a plan!

what does the sorcerer buff in this list? isnt it good to have 1 more unit of bestigor than making one a little bit better?

 

i made one myself and this is just theory, what do you think about it?

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (160)
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade 
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Titanic Fury
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura 
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns

Battleline
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened (200)

Total: 980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 74
 

basically Enlightened takes care of the big problems supported by a chaos spawn. If the shaman dies he becomes a spawn to further buff them.  Ungors for sacrifice and bestigors for the rest. then 1 CP to spend on the command ability.

 

is this somewhat viable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MeSmashDaNoobs said:

alright sounds like a plan!

what does the sorcerer buff in this list? isnt it good to have 1 more unit of bestigor than making one a little bit better?

 

i made one myself and this is just theory, what do you think about it?

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (160)
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade 
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Titanic Fury
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura 
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns

Battleline
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened (200)

Total: 980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 74
 

basically Enlightened takes care of the big problems supported by a chaos spawn. If the shaman dies he becomes a spawn to further buff them.  Ungors for sacrifice and bestigors for the rest. then 1 CP to spend on the command ability.

 

is this somewhat viable?

Looks good! One thing I am hesitant about:

you want to sac Ungors for points but then you only have one aupport hero up the field alongside your units so I’m afraid the Gavespawn benefits might not be very effective! 

I run the Chaos Sorcerer Lord because I used it once as a joke and it made me have such a higher damage output that i really want to run it in a tournament. It buffs 2 units btw! One with his ability and one with the spell. But I can see why one would much rather run one more Shaman and an extra unit perfectly fine. Matter of preference I think! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Looks good! One thing I am hesitant about:

you want to sac Ungors for points but then you only have one aupport hero up the field alongside your units so I’m afraid the Gavespawn benefits might not be very effective! 

I run the Chaos Sorcerer Lord because I used it once as a joke and it made me have such a higher damage output that i really want to run it in a tournament. It buffs 2 units btw! One with his ability and one with the spell. But I can see why one would much rather run one more Shaman and an extra unit perfectly fine. Matter of preference I think! 

Yes that is true. Minor tweeks depends on your own meta :)

yeah to fix that problem i could swap the extra command point for 1 more spawn and have them both go up right?

that sounds good to me :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MeSmashDaNoobs said:

Yes that is true. Minor tweeks depends on your own meta :)

yeah to fix that problem i could swap the extra command point for 1 more spawn and have them both go up right?

that sounds good to me :)

 

Mmm it won’t post my replies. Hopefully this one will land.

yes that should do it. 

When do you need the final list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Mmm it won’t post my replies. Hopefully this one will land.

yes that should do it. 

When do you need the final list?

im just building my first BoC list so no hurry :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I am looking at starting BoC. What’s the best way to hop on this train?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

So I am looking at starting BoC. What’s the best way to hop on this train?

A couple start collecting sets is a great deal, though you won't often be using the monsters. Bestigors and ungors are units you will use often (you'll often want more than 20 of each), and shamans are mainstay units (I often use 2, rarely use more). Beyond start collecting, it comes down to what you like about the army. Are there any units that really speak to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, decker_cky said:

A couple start collecting sets is a great deal, though you won't often be using the monsters. Bestigors and ungors are units you will use often (you'll often want more than 20 of each), and shamans are mainstay units (I often use 2, rarely use more). Beyond start collecting, it comes down to what you like about the army. Are there any units that really speak to you?

Honestly I really love the look of the gorgan. He is such a cool looking giant bull man. I have seen some bullgors done up really nice. 

Does the summoning in monsters have any game in the competitive scene?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...