AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

What do you more experienced Beasts players think I should add to my Brass Despoilers for a pure Beasts army?  I have a Doombull, 3x3 great axe Bullgors, a Beastlord, 30 Bestigors (only 2 commands at the moment), and 2 Tuskgor Chariots (if I can find where I put 1 of them).  

I also have a Great Bray Shaman and Tzaangor Shaman, and have bits to kitbash a Jabberslythe which I always thought was a neat unit.

Allying with Slaves to Darkness seems almost pointless aside from maybe some Warriors and a Sorcerer Lord on Steed?

Also what might the best Greatfray be for Bullgors, or should I bother using one at all?

I have tried them in a Khorne army with less than stellar results (the Wrathmongers and regular Bloodsecrator are too slow to keep up for extra attack bonuses).  A little divergent route from this Beasts forum, but would the Brass Despoilers be better off in a Blades of Khorne army with a couple Slaughterpriests and a Bloodsecrator with a Thermalrider Cloak, rather than using them in a pure Beasts of Chaos army?

I'm trying out a different kind of Beasts of Chaos list. It seems to have unexpected staying power.

The speed of this list's Thunderscorn (8"+Creatures of the Storm+run and charge) allows me to focus on and surround particular units early in the fight, locking and grinding down those threats before they can benefit from better positioning. If the Creatures of the Storm is high enough, it is even sometimes worth using my first command point to ensure a six on the general's run roll (if need be), so that the general has a solid chance to succeed on the charge, thereby giving all my other units within 18" a re-roll on their own charge rolls.

The Bullgors serve as an effective "can opener" against high save units, while the Chaos Gargant (buffed by the Great Bray-Shaman) is a relatively inexpensive counter to horde-type units. The general's Sundering Blades spell is often cast to buff one of these units. The Centigors either serve as a harassing force or in a rapid response role to backup a critical charge.

The two Dragon Ogor Shaggoths have pretty good staying power. Each buffs one of the  two x6-sized Dragon Ogors, allowing me greater maneuverability by effectively providing two "teams" of Dragon Ogors to advance on objectives or opposing forces. The x3 Dragon Ogor unit holds backfield objectives and otherwise focuses on that area; it also serves as a sacrifice for extra first turn Primordial Call points (hopefully to then heal from the battalion ability). Healing and the Allherd's benefit during battleshock tests provide a reasonable boost to units, hopefully keeping them in the fight a bit longer.

Overall, it's surprising fun and very much different from other lists I've developed. What do you think?

2000pt Thunderscorn Stormherd list (Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos | Greatfray: Allherd)

1. Thunderscorn Stormherd (190)
    • #1 Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
      • General
      • Trait: Dominator
      • Artefact: Horn of the Tempest
      • Spell: Sundering Blades
    • #1 Dragon Ogors x6 (280)
      • Draconic War-glaives
    • #2 Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
      • Artefact: Blade of the Desecrator
      • Spell: Hailstorm
    • #2 Dragon Ogors x6 (280)
      • Draconic War-glaives
    • #3 Dragon Ogors x3 (140)
      • Paired Ancient Weapons
  2. Great Bray-Shaman (100)
    • Spell: Titanic Fury
  3. Chaos Gargant (170)
  4. Bullgors x6 (320)
    • Great Axes
  5. Centigors x10 (160)

I would drop the gargant for endless spells..

The bull is great for utility and damage and the horn is suprisingl good if your going to grind people out with dragon ogors..

That leaves you enough for 10 ungor standing on the herdstone.

I know some that LOVE the Gargant b.c you can give it more attacks due to its 6 damage and D3 damage attack, even with +2 attacks (tho you can get more), thats pretty good, they like to try to hit the +4 attacks mark tho, IMO thats WAY to much work to do, +2 is ... kinda reliably b.c he gets +1 if within 3 of a hero.

But when thinking about it, if you can get that +5 attack, and if you hit 3 and 4 attacks (rolling slightly above i'm saying) thats 2 6 damage and 3 D3's for 18 damage before the 3D6+4 attacks for 5 more damage. On Average tho its more like 17 damage, but you can get 23 if 1 dice rolls better.

I will say, this is a High risk high reward and only seen it once, i have seen it do 12-15 damage on average with +1 or +2 attacks tho, remember the hero needs to be "within 3" not wholly or within combat range, so you can be behind the giant.

I personally dont like the giant.  It needs to much work to get anything out of it.

Edited by Maddpainting

As far as Battalions go, how many are even viable anymore? I find the Khorne one underwhelming due to my Bestigors already rerolling against order, and order being a lot of what I see around, slaanesh is WAY too specific, and tzeentch one is...Ok? But only in certain matchups.

The one really nice one that lets you get more attacks on the opponent's side got absolutely gutted with the changes to what dictates an 'enemy zone' with the new CA missions.

Is it even worth it to take anything aside from nurgle atm?

All the one drops are amazing, 1 drop is no joke. Also +1CP and Relic makes them even better. I personally like Phantasm or Deprave depending what you want.

Desolating IMO is only good if you want ambushing and or raiders, i never liked it anyways b.c you needed Gors or Chariots, and i dont think those are good enough inside a battalion.

3 hours ago, Kazimer said:

As far as Battalions go, how many are even viable anymore? I find the Khorne one underwhelming due to my Bestigors already rerolling against order, and order being a lot of what I see around, slaanesh is WAY too specific, and tzeentch one is...Ok? But only in certain matchups.

The one really nice one that lets you get more attacks on the opponent's side got absolutely gutted with the changes to what dictates an 'enemy zone' with the new CA missions.

Is it even worth it to take anything aside from nurgle atm?

I assume you're talking about in Beasts of Chaos allegiance? They're all nice, if only because they're super flexible and allow your army to be 1-3 drops without much work (I also find that I really want a second magic item in most of my lists). 

-Slaanesh is a cheap battalion that fits most everything. The reroll for charges is nice from time to time (doesn't have to be used to charge the character). 

-Tzeentch is nice because it fits the very good tzeentch units (once again...low drop list).

-Khorne is probably the most potent buff. Even Bestigors - it's a got a to hit buff against most opponents  (they're a lot more death/destruction than there was 18 months ago) and a once per game to wound buff to make you potent on a key turn.  No ungors/raiders means it's a sacrifice for sure.

-Nurgle is probably the least inspiring to take in beasts of chaos allegiance. 

In the marked allegiances, I think they all have their places (though I don't think tzeentch allegiance does much for beastmen). 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 12:06 PM, Maddpainting said:

All the one drops are amazing, 1 drop is no joke. Also +1CP and Relic makes them even better. I personally like Phantasm or Deprave depending what you want.

Desolating IMO is only good if you want ambushing and or raiders, i never liked it anyways b.c you needed Gors or Chariots, and i dont think those are good enough inside a battalion.

If you got some spare points like 10 or so I don't see why not upgrade a 10 man ungor squad to a 10 man gor squad

Building and painting my first two start collecting boxes so I can get a few games in at 1000pts (typical game size where I play). Reading the warcsrolls and battletome, it seems like raiders are only decent in very large groups, and if I plan on just running or summoning 10man units I'd be better off with regular ungors? Is that an accurate assessment? Also the cygor seems underwhelming unless up against lots of magic (and I already have 2 shaman for unbinding).  Just want to get a good sense of the army and different playstyles before I expand.

Raiders are good in 10 man groups as well they change roles. When you bring 10 raiders you want to screen with them because of the pregame move.. They a nuisense units that block landing zones for enemy units with forcing those units to charge the raiders.. If you play alpha strike armies alot a pregame movement unit is invaluable.. But because those units are ment to die to accomplish their objective you dont want them to be big units usually.. More small units provide more screens or annoying objective grabbers.

• Like 2

Just to chime in:

As for the summoning, you might find that, depending on the scale and length of the game, and how well you roll your sacrifice each turn, you might need to get more bodies. Basic ungors are solid summoning option in case you have depleted your first batch of "volunteers" as you can get more points out of the unit than you spend on it.

And yes, the Raiders are best in big blobs so you can get those rerolls. Its just 4+/4+/-/1 so many people dont take them seriously but, with the re-rolls that amount of Dakka can bring down even big targets if you are lucky enough. Plus if you get to buff their shooting in any other way they get very good for those points. Small units, as mentioned by Ajmaus are good for the pre-game move as screens, but not much else. Their shooting without the rerolls is so bad that you dont want them for anything else than screening, not even objective camping. Centigors, chariots and such are better for that.

Cygor is mostly for fun. When you know you`re going to play a fun non try hard game with some wacky units. It can be surprisingly good, but at the same time since the Damage is D6, it can be abhorrently bad depending on the dice rolls. Cygor could use some buff to his shooting to make it truly worthwhile, but if, as mentioned you use him in more fun oriented lists, he can be surprisingly good. Surround him with 40 Raiders, and throw some warhounds and centigors on the flanks for protection, and watch your enemy face when you roll out with ranged BoC army :D

Tried that at 1500 (my preferred point limit for games.) against Karadron, and it was a lot of fun. Thy Cygor pretty much Soloed the big Karadron Gunship. Hitting it twice with the boulder for 11 damage and then charging in to finish it in combat while the scurrying Ungors around him shot down the crew and bodyguards  ^^

• Like 1

I'm sat with two boxes of BoC and IJ (do not say why not both) in my basket and as much as I like IJ, I think a skirmish heavy, harassing style of BoC would be right up my alley!

The question is does the Desolation Battalion work with Ungors and their terribly inaccurate pew pew? If so I can press that lovely buy button 😄

4 hours ago, j0lt said:

I'm sat with two boxes of BoC and IJ (do not say why not both) in my basket and as much as I like IJ, I think a skirmish heavy, harassing style of BoC would be right up my alley!

The question is does the Desolation Battalion work with Ungors and their terribly inaccurate pew pew? If so I can press that lovely buy button 😄

I generally run two units of 10 man ungor raiders to ambush turn one. This may just be because of how my local area goes but I have found them useful. Great against any kind of war machines, nice for picking off a weak support character or even just being a pain that needs to be dealt with, distracting a proper unit to go after them or threatening an objective.  Their shooting isn't bad either, like, 4's then 4's at 18" with 6's being two hits is pretty nice, the range I think is the big surprise with their shots.

Ive been having trouble winning games with my boc army. this is a list of everything I have in my collection. can you guys recommend any units you think I should have? Im pretty sure I wanna get at least 20 more ungors, a doombull, and 6 more bullgors. This is my first year with the hobbu so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Allegiance: Chaos
LEADERS
Beastlord (90)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
UNITS
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Gors (70) - Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Ungors (60) - Mauls & Half-Shields
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)
4 x Chaos Spawn (200)
3 x Bullgors (160) - Pairs of Axes
BEHEMOTHS
Chimera (240)
Cygor (180)
Ghorgon (200)
Ghorgon (200)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Wildfire Taurus (80)
Doomblast Dirgehorn (50)

Edited by clamo

I have 2 lists, idk which one i want for adpeticon yet.

First is with some Disks and 2 drop, Gave Spawn

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos - Mortal Realm: Hysh
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
LEADERS
Beastlord (90)
- Artefact : Mutating Gnarlblade
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Unravelling Aura
- Artefact : Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds : Vicious Stranglethorns
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds : Wild Rampage
Tzaangor Shaman (160)
UNITS
30 x Bestigors (300)
40 x Ungor Raiders (320)
40 x Ungors (200) - Shortspears & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60) - Shortspears & Half-Shields
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (320)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
BATTALIONS
Phantasmagoria of Fate (200)

The Normal, got Disks for 1 very fast hard hitting scalpel unit, 1 bestigors for a wall/msu killer to charge into 2-3 units, Ungors block, ungors, and spawn for +1 attacks, and Raiders b.c i love them.

Second one is Allherd

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos - Mortal Realm: Hysh
- Greatfray: Allherd
LEADERS
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact : Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds : Vicious Stranglethorns
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds : Wild Rampage
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds : Titanic Fury
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
- General
- Command Trait : Dominator
- Artefact : Blade of the Desecrator
- Lore of Dark Storms : Hailstorm
UNITS
30 x Bestigors (300)
40 x Ungor Raiders (320)
40 x Ungors (200) - Shortspears & Half-Shields
6 x Dragon Ogors (280) - 3 x Paired Ancient Weapons - 3 x Draconic War glaives
5 x Centigors (80)
BATTALIONS
Depraved Drove (150)

1 Drop to go second or first depending on what i need Bestgior block, Ungor Block, and Raider block as normal. Dragon Ogres and Shaggoth for a wound block with some spells to buff them, Centigors for a fast moving unit, yes i could take Disks and go 2-3 Drop, but the purpose was high wound count 1 drop army. Its allherd to get more models on the table. Its a movement/wound army meant to get points and only kill what i need to kill (like terrorgyst, Boundgrot bouncers, or KoS type of units).

I'm working on a 3rd list, that is just list 2 with no Ogres and more Ungors/Bestigors, no multi-wound models, but i dont really want to play with MORE models lol, its already at 145 models

Edited by Maddpainting

Just a newsletter update from Mierce Miniatures.

It seems they have a 50% off on their metal miniatures. Last time they had this I got myself a nice unit of their version of Bestigors, so I though I`ll give a shout out to anyone who might be interested. :)

Edited by Myrdin

weird question came up the other day....regarding rerolls

So the TZ shammy can reroll one or both dice when he is using the elixir, how does this interact with the khirne bloodsecrator forcing a reroll of sucessfull casting?

Is the reroll wasted?...can it be used after the secrator-forced reroll? The thoughts were that you cant reroll a dice more than once so maybe you can pick the beast reroll 1st and then the secrator ability has no effect? Looking to the wiser bestial wisdom here....

The tzangor reroll resolves first and then you cannot reroll a reroll.. So of you successfully cast a spell with kets say a 6 and a 3.. You can choose to reroll the 3 that wouod then make the bloosecrator unabke to force a reroll of it still succeeds