AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, Cookiez said:

Ok, I've read through some pages and to summarize the most competitive choices and top builds. So what I'm looking at right now are:

- Bestigors

- Ungor Raiders/Ungors

- Enlightened

- Taurus spell and a combination of 2 Shamans.

Within Slaanesh (without Enlightened then, ofc) alliegiance accompanied by Keeper and the mirror. The second option is the Khorne alliegiance with Bloodsecrators. Did I miss anything? Any competitive builds with BoC alliegiance? It seems really lakcluster to me.

The current "top" build is the one used by Daniel Bradshaw to win the UK Masters and Sheffield Slaughter. As far as I know it is the only BoC list to win a major tournament.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Oreaper84 said:

So i went to a 2 day, 5 round event this past weekend....and it was DOMINATED by Slaanesh. Had to play the buggers twice myself. Ended up 4/1 and playing on table 1 round 5...but just couldn't get over on the Invaders list at the top table. My list was as follows:

Reapers of Vengence / Ulgu

Gore Pilgrims / Charnel Host

BT of UF: Mage Eater, Crimson Crown

Blood secrator: Skullshard Mantle

2x Slaughter priest

Blood Master

Deamon Prince: sword of judgement

2x (10) bloodletters

(20) bloodletters

(5) blood warriors

(10) blood reavers

karanak

3 x Judgments

The list hinged on the 6" pile in and the fight twice from reapers...and did rather well. there ended up a 4 way tie for 2nd and the killpoints were the tiebreaker. I already have some adjustments to the list to make...but it was dishearting when Slaanesh took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Do we have a answer for the net variety list that they can bring? They seem to outclass us in almost every aspect. (one game i managed 3130 kill points because of all his summoning). Have others had similar exp in this new meta? am i crazy and thier is a silver bullet against Slaanesh?

Wrong thread mate.

We actually have much better options than most for dealing with Slaanesh.

The key is hordes and decent shooting. They can't do much against large units of Bestigors, Ungors and Ungor Raiders. They also often struggle for board control early on (unless they are also using beasts), which we excel at.   No a silver bullet, but since we've got a lot of 1 wound options, we can definitely minimise their summoning with clever list design. 

Deprived Drove Slaanesh is a different matter as they have access to our best horde units and see to be less dependant on summoning.

5 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Yeah, at least we have good 1 wound units, Bestigors, Ungors, Raiders are all good. And Allherd is really good too, i've moved away from Gavespawn, i only play it to annoy my opponents.

What's your allherd list look like, if you don't mind?

Normally something like
Beastlord  
Chaos Scor Lord
Shaman
Shaman
Bestigor x30
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Ungors x10 shields
Ungors x10 shields
Ungors x40 2hands
Centigors 5 (Fast moving screens for raiders)
Raiders x40 < These are my MVP almost every game lol
Depraved Drove (cheap and 2 drop, also +1CP and Relic and Desolating you need chariot or Gors and i dont like Gors and i like Centigors better than Chariots)
+1CP
30pts down for triumph 

I've been running mostly Allherd since the book dropped. You can season the list to your tastes, but the key points are that you need at least 1 battalion to get the Aetherquartz Brooch, preferably 2 to get the Knowing Eye as well, and to make up for the loss of of only being able to buy 1 CP now.

Depraved Drove is an obvious choice. Desolating can be a good second choice but that requires a lot of units, so Despoilers may be easier to fill and might make up the price difference in fewer taxes.

Edited by Colonel Cabbage
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

I just don't see All Herd as remotely viable now given the CP purchase changes. 

Somehow it won't let me post replies so try number 3:

Why not?

Take a battalion and knowing eye as the extra artifact. 

Start your first turn with:

2CP

Get one Prim. call point and 1 CP for the turn. 

1 PCP
3 CP

Roll for knowing eye and slaughter some goats

2-4 PCP
3-4 CP (to turn into PCP if you want).

That's a very good start.

What's not viable? 

4 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Why not?

2CP

1 PCP
3 CP

2-4 PCP

What's not viable? 

Because you're now gambling on CP regen re-rolls instead of simply banking away 4 or 5 at the start of the game to bust out a large summoning pool. At BOBO there was a clever allherd list playing at I think 1800 or 1850 that was effectively able to summon in the 9 point range on turn one (without needing a slew of good rolls). All Herd now requires you to spend a turn or 2 getting lucky to generate the Primal Call you need to change the game, and when you pair that with the abysmal traits and relics I can't see the investment making sense. 

4 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

Because you're now gambling on CP regen re-rolls instead of simply banking away 4 or 5 at the start of the game to bust out a large summoning pool. At BOBO there was a clever allherd list playing at I think 1800 or 1850 that was effectively able to summon in the 9 point range on turn one (without needing a slew of good rolls). All Herd now requires you to spend a turn or 2 getting lucky to generate the Primal Call you need to change the game, and when you pair that with the abysmal traits and relics I can't see the investment making sense. 

TBH i still use Allherd and I’m satisfied with how it’s playing out so far. 

Gavespawn has been okay too but somehow Allherd suits me better.

i didn’t even think about the 1850 start before the new rules btw. Very clever indeed! Turn 1 Chimera behind enemy lines, lol.

36 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

I just don't see All Herd as remotely viable now given the CP purchase changes. 

I don't think buying lots of CP was ever a great idea with Allherd. Each summoning point is worth 20 points roughly, so if you bought CP and then traded them for Primordial Call points you're throwing away 30 points. Aetherquartz makes each CP worth 1.5 call points, but then you're still losing 20 points.

Sure, arguably the positioning advantage of summoning is worth losing 20 points, but you don't want to lose too many of your bodies on the board by investing heavily into CP purchases.

To play Allherd effectively you just need a (ideally cheap) Battalion so that you can take Aetherquartz.

For example, see the US  ETC 2019 team, which is taking an Allherd list with 1 CP purchased, and Depraved Drove to get the Brooch and a second CP. 

USA-2.png?resize=768%2C544&ssl=1

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

32 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Why not?

2CP

1 PCP
3 CP

2-4 PCP

What's not viable? 

Aetherquartz is superior to Knowing Eye whenever you start with extra CP (e.g. battalion or purchased CP). Knowing Eye returns 0.5 CP per turn, whereas Aetherquartz returns 0.5 CP per CP spent.

18 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

I don't think buying lots of CP was ever a great idea with Allherd. Each summoning point is worth 20 points roughly, so if you bought CP and then traded them for Primordial Call points you're throwing away 30 points. Aetherquartz makes each CP worth 1.5 call points, but then you're still losing 20 points.

Sure, arguably the positioning advantage of summoning is worth losing 20 points, but you don't want to lose too many of your bodies on the board by investing heavily into CP purchases.

To play Allherd effectively you just need a (ideally cheap) Battalion so that you can take Aetherquartz.

For example, see the US  ETC 2019 team, which is taking an Allherd list with 1 CP purchased, and Depraved Drove to get the Brooch and a second CP. 

USA-2.png?resize=768%2C544&ssl=1

If you talk to Joe about that list (which I've had the chance to do) he'd tell you the same thing, post GHB 2019 he isn't running Allherd. You have to remember that ETC is still using GHB 2018, and the primary reason he's running the Drove is to get access to the Slaanesh Endless spells. He's running Allherd because his specific setup doesn't make use of CP for any other significant reason so he wants to dump them into summoning where possible. 

Brooch is definitely superior to Eye. If you have both it can help you keep up summoning after your initial dump though. But then you are quite light on units. Running both over 5 games I had something like 7, 7, 8, 9, and 10 summoning points (after sacrifices) on turn 1 with 1CP left in the bank for emergencies. Over the course of the 5 games I summoned something like 30 ungors, 20 bestigors, 1 Ghorgon and 6 Chimera.

Therefore I think you're gonna always have enough to summon anything you want turn 2, and occasionally you'll have enough to summon something big turn 1 as well. I prefer a Chimera for the MW shooting and the +2 to charge. It really messes people up because they don't expect it, and even if they do, they don't expect D6MWs at 14" range. It also gives them a horrible choice. Pull units away from objectives to deal with the Chimera, or let it run around mauling units and roasting small heroes.

Once thing to note. The Allherd summoning generation happens BEFORE you sacrifice at the headstone, so you need to make a judgement about whether you are gonna go all in for all 10 points turn 1 or not. This means you cant guarantee many many you get from sacrificing before spending the CP, and often waiting for turn 2 is better anyway, so I always save one CP rather than going all in.

What do you think of the new Warcry for allies? like Furies? I think these guys are the best out of the 4. They can charge and instead of attack they can make a move action, a bit costly, but a unit of them with the Bull could be really good.
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//ENG_Warcry_AoS_Warscroll_Furies.pdf

And then these guys 6" move start of battle, run and charge, 10 wounds, 1 out of 9 can shoot, i'd say they might be worth the 70pts for a scout/screen unit if you wanted to go 2nd.
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//ENG_Warcry_AoS_Warscroll_UntamedBeasts.pdf

Finally https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//ENG_Warcry_AoS_Warscroll_IronGolems.pdf
They are the though unit, basically Gors

These guys are just Centigors with Fly and i'd rather have Centigors, they have less attacks than Centigors and less save, not good at all, leave these guys at home.
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//ENG_Warcry_AoS_Warscroll_Raptoryx.pdf

I personally think 2 out of the 4 can be viable, but only 1 or 2 units at the most for a utility unit, tho i'd rather have Raiders for scouts, they are 10pts more thant he Warcry unit, and Furies are the ones that i see would have the most play.

54 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

What do you think of the new Warcry for allies? like Furies? I think these guys are the best out of the 4. They can charge and instead of attack they can make a move action, a bit costly, but a unit of them with the Bull could be really good.
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//ENG_Warcry_AoS_Warscroll_Furies.pdf

And then these guys 6" move start of battle, run and charge, 10 wounds, 1 out of 9 can shoot, i'd say they might be worth the 70pts for a scout/screen unit if you wanted to go 2nd.
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//ENG_Warcry_AoS_Warscroll_UntamedBeasts.pdf

Finally https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//ENG_Warcry_AoS_Warscroll_IronGolems.pdf
They are the though unit, basically Gors

These guys are just Centigors with Fly and i'd rather have Centigors, they have less attacks than Centigors and less save, not good at all, leave these guys at home.
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//ENG_Warcry_AoS_Warscroll_Raptoryx.pdf

I personally think 2 out of the 4 can be viable, but only 1 or 2 units at the most for a utility unit, tho i'd rather have Raiders for scouts, they are 10pts more thant he Warcry unit, and Furies are the ones that i see would have the most play.

The furies are fantastic. You can use them to jump over enemy units weakly defending an objective to contest it safely out of harms way 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maddpainting said:

The furies I think will see play in lots of armies. 100 points for 12 wounds of flying skinks who are better in combat is an absolute steal. 

• Like 1

Hey y'all, I'm still pretty new to BoC and I'm working on a list I can take to a gaming store/maybe some local tournaments. It looks like this:

Beastlord: general, unravelling aura, mutating gnarlblade
Great Bray Shaman: knowing eye, vicious stranglethorns (to sit at the herdstone)
Great Bray Shaman: tendrils of atrophy
Great Bray Shaman: Wild Rampage

10x ungors
10x ungor raiders
30x ungor raiders (these can alternately be build as 2 20 man units)
10x gors: gor blades & beastshields
30x bestigors
30x bestigors
5x centigors (because I really like the models)
1x Chaos Spawn

1x Ghorgon

Desolating Beastherd

Wildfire Taurus

Can I do anything with this list, or do I need to revamp it  again?

To bad the dont have BoC Keyword. We need some god damm love in here ffs.

At least we can ally them in. I really do like those models, and seeing the warscroll... sure why not They replace the Harpies we once used to have rather nicely. Though only as Allies.

Good lord, all of these units just show how horrible Gors are....

Edited by Myrdin

14 minutes ago, benmoorepaintco said:

Hey y'all, I'm still pretty new to BoC and I'm working on a list I can take to a gaming store/maybe some local tournaments. It looks like this:

Beastlord: general, unravelling aura, mutating gnarlblade
Great Bray Shaman: knowing eye, vicious stranglethorns (to sit at the herdstone)
Great Bray Shaman: tendrils of atrophy
Great Bray Shaman: Wild Rampage

10x ungors
10x ungor raiders
30x ungor raiders (these can alternately be build as 2 20 man units)
10x gors: gor blades & beastshields
30x bestigors
30x bestigors
5x centigors (because I really like the models)
1x Chaos Spawn

1x Ghorgon

Desolating Beastherd

Wildfire Taurus

Can I do anything with this list, or do I need to revamp it  again?

I would make the Raiders one blob of 40 to ensure the 30+ models as long as possible. 

Also I would take out the Gors, and instead of 30 Bestigor I’ve found that playing blobs of 20 works better for mobility. So maybe:

Raiders into one unit of 40

2x30 Bestigor become 20, 20 and 10

Take out the Gors. You are now at 1930. And get another command point OR take out the Gorgon aswell and add a Chimera but I’m not sure if that screws up the chosen Battalion.

i’ve found 10 Gors to be utterly useless and an extra CP with the new abilities might be better.