AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, ColsBols said:

Guys, I'm torn between BoC and FEC. Can someone give me a quick run-down on how  the BoC faction plays (keeping in mind I don't have any other chaos) and in general how is the faction doing these days? Or can someone link me to somewhere it's already been written? thanks

BoC is a bit tricky. They have decent-good units for sure, but it's not as "point and clicky" as other factions. Use movement and positioning to outwit and outmaneuver, but generally don't try to rush up the board and expect to grind out opponents. Unless you run them as slaanesh or something.

• Like 1

Beasts of chaos are what you might call a finesse army. 

As alluded to above you won't win in a straight grind vs another opponent. 

Boardwide low bravery, armour saves and an average to hit of 4+, no magic support, few reroll 'something' buffs arnt going to win most match ups in a straight fight. 

We do however play the missions / scenarios very well. 

Access to plentiful cheap really fast chaff/scoring units,  slow heavy hitters (warherd units), balanced summoning, some dirty tzeentch units, big distraction monsters, one of the best endless spells (which allows you to gang up with you "weak" units first) 

And again like above, if pure beasts doesn't gel with you, you can run them as any of the 4 chaos gods (battalion dependant) so it's more like 5 armies in one. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Not sure we can call Tzaangors dirty anymore with the price hike, they are on par with Bullgors (yet are oh so much better, only shows you how bad bullgors are).

I think they are now just a good unit but no longer overpowered.

2 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

Bulls, dragons, etc. 1/2 our units just need to go down in points.

Bulls, yes a bit too expensive. But Dragon Ogors! They are at worse a really solid option, 140 points for 15 4+ wounds, reasonably fast with Alligence ability and decent damage output.  Their main disadvantage is the large base size, but that's rarely a major problem unless your running lots of them.

9 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

BoC is a bit tricky. They have decent-good units for sure, but it's not as "point and clicky" as other factions. Use movement and positioning to outwit and outmaneuver, but generally don't try to rush up the board and expect to grind out opponents. Unless you run them as slaanesh or something.

Yes, BoC tend to be all about board control, screening and playing the mission rather than just smashing face. We have a wide range of good units (Ungor, Raiders, Bestigor, Centigor, Enlightened on Disks and Dragon Ogors), but no obscenely good ones. The big advantage of playing Beasts is there are a tonne of possible build which are competitive: horde, shooting, elite, mixed etc. and on top of that the God battalions mean you can easily play with different alliances with the same models, and all except Tzeentch are solid options.   I think our main down side is lack of good heros, sure you have a few options and some are very useful but your never going to dominate magic or have a combat monster general who'll cleave through opponents armies.

Hi! I haven't played much AoS yet, but I'm slowly building towards a list like this.

I know that Gors might not be the best option here, but i really like their look.

Depraved Drove is here mainly for the second artefact and so i can one-drop everything but the spawn. 

What do you think, any advices?

Screenshot_20190716-131357_Drive.jpg

Been wanting to try out a tzeentch based BoC list but with the BoC allegiance abilities and was wanting an opinion on my first draft list. I love these models and its one drop unless ive missed something. Looks like itll hold its own but id love some opinions please! 

Screenshot_20190717-212958_Drive.jpg

Edited by Shad0wStormed
Posted screengrab instead of .pdf for ease.

5 hours ago, ColsBols said:

Just to make sure, I can take a Herd allegiance AND the Khorne Battalion, right?  Do people like the Khorne battalion? 

Yes, generally Khorne Battalion is the best out of the 4 God Batallions taken in Vacuum, and obviously necessary if taken with other Khorne stuff under the main Khorne army.

Personally I wish Nurgle Batt included cheap stuff like Razorgors that you can just throw at the enemy and deal that extra MW. It should also be D3 MV.

Khorne is good, but I think that the restriction of friendly units within range of another Khorne unit is unnecessary. Also that 1 time reroll for Wounds should be treated not as a global thing, but as on a "per unit" basis. Each unit under the battalion gets to activate it once per game. Not one activation per whole army, Makes little sense because its not that often there is enough units in combat to make full use of it. 

Slaanesh is seriously bad. (On its own without using actual Slaanesh book). The limitation for the ability to proc is way to specific. A hero with an artifact.... Yuck. Just make it a Hero. Even then it wouldn't be exactly amazing but still better than targeting an artifact.... in 1.5/2K list, how many of those you will see ? 1/2 ? Yeah. Honestly though I think it should be just a reroll, each unit under the Battalion, once per game. That would be an amazing trait for our speedy army.

Tzeentch is just meh. You`d expect it would buff your wizards for casting and dispelling, which would be nice, considering we have no native wizard buffs and tend to run at least 2 spellcaster in most armies minimum, but its just meh. A simlpe +1 to cast rolls and +1 to dispell rolls if enemy caster is within 18" lets say, would be more useful.

The sole purpose of Battalions is to 1/2 drop an army. As far as the effects of the Battalion go most of them are meh, though some are relatively nice and one or two are actually good, but as far as the God Battalions go, they are mostly disappointing and used only to run along a God Army, or 1 drop your army.

Edited by Myrdin

On 7/9/2019 at 4:46 AM, Maier666 said:

Anyone run a Meeting Engagements game?

I want to try it out.  I think for quick games after the munchkins are asleep in bed over at a buddies house will make it appealing.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:38 AM, Satyrical Sophist said:

Bestigor are good in Nurgle. The spell blades of putrefaction triggers on a 5 and 6 for them Vs large units.

Centigors are even better to buff, since they have a native +1 to hit alongside having 4 attacks each. 

Blades works well on Centigors as they have a +1 to hit and IIRC the Blades is a 6+ not a  unmodified 6?  Also Centigors are dang fast ensuring alpha strike with that ability (toss in +1W from the Glotkin as well) and you have mini Chaos Knights.  Couple that with cogs for Bestigors charging fast and you have two serious threats coming at you fast and hard.  The nurgle tree helps them move doesn't it?  Or does it just grant run and charge?

I think all the 4 chaos god battalions have value.  

So after some wheeling and dealing I have ended up with this starting army

Doombull

Brayherd Shaman

Brayherd Shaman

20x Bestigors

2x Ghorgon/Cygors 

Chaos Gargant

Endless Spells

If I'm planning to paint them red and run them as Khorneskins, what is my next step from here? 10x more Bestigors probably, right? Small units of Ungors or Gors?

7 minutes ago, ColsBols said:

So after some wheeling and dealing I have ended up with this starting army

Doombull

Brayherd Shaman

Brayherd Shaman

20x Bestigors

2x Ghorgon/Cygors 

Chaos Gargant

Endless Spells

If I'm planning to paint them red and run them as Khorneskins, what is my next step from here? 10x more Bestigors probably, right? Small units of Ungors or Gors?

Sorry but you are missing out on battlelines troops. You have only one unit which is battleline if your shaman is the general. 

Stay away from gors and get ungors and bestigors instead. 

A breyherd build is what most people do. 

ok this is the list I have concocted and list of Stuff To Buy, please let me know how you think it'll go

Bray-Shaman

Doombull

Beastlord

Dragon Ogor Shaggoth

20x Bestigors

10x Bestigors

10x Ungors

Ghorgon

Cygor 

Chaos Gargant

3x Dragon Ogors

Brass Despoilers

Wildfire Taurus

1990/2000

So how is everyone going with the new GHB command abilities? 

I've been having some joy running great weapon bulls Darkwalker ambushing with a shaman and Cogs up.

The reroll 1's to hit ability has been a (chaos) godsend!

Edited by thebloody9
Clarity

8 hours ago, thebloody9 said:

So how is everyone going with the new GHB command abilities? 

I've been having some joy running great weapon bulls Darkwalker ambushing with a shaman and Cogs up.

The reroll 1's to hit ability has been a (chaos) godsend!

Why the shaman? Darkwalkers let you ambush warherd but they dont get the other synergies, like shaman speed buff. 

"... considered to have the brayherd keyword for the purpose of the brayherd ambush battle trait" 

1 hour ago, Sauriv said:

Why the shaman? Darkwalkers let you ambush warherd but they dont get the other synergies, like shaman speed buff. 

"... considered to have the brayherd keyword for the purpose of the brayherd ambush battle trait" 

Maybe for casting the cogs

12 minutes ago, Kazimer said:

How are Chimeras and Cockatrices? I'm thinking of grabbing one for my new Beastmen army. The Chimera seems pretty like a glass cannon, dies to a stiff wind but can pretty much thanos snap an entire unit off the board.

For me, Chimera has been the MVP in the games I’ve played so far. It can instantly kill a hero, wipe out a unit and is just a threat they HAVE to deal with ASAP. 

I have a doubles tournament coming up and my 1.000 point list is looking like this. I’ve been playtesting a lot and I like this the most:

1 Great Bray-Shaman (general), Vicious Stranglethorns

1 Beastlord, with the Gavespawn artifact

20 Bestigor

20 Bestigor

10 Ungor

1 Chimera

Ravening Direflock

Gavespawn

1000/1000

14 hours ago, Sauriv said:

Yeah sure, a wizard is needed for casting the cogs. 😁 Just thought i saw some rule misinterpretation using shaman to speed up bulls. 

Should have made that a bit clearer sorry!

The Shaman is there as a force multiplier, to use command abilities on the Bulls and to throw out magic as required. Typically I give him Viletide so I can get MW output or throw out the Wildfire Taurus. Devolve is also super useful if my opponents try to run away from the murder cows.

Going to give it a go with 30 Raiders as well, ambush the Raiders and shaman turn 1. Try to clear up screens with 2 turns of shooting and 1 of magic before the beefy boys give them the horns with a turn 2 ambush.

What could possibly go wrong? 

Ok, I've read through some pages and to summarize the most competitive choices and top builds. So what I'm looking at right now are:

- Bestigors

- Ungor Raiders/Ungors

- Enlightened

- Taurus spell and a combination of 2 Shamans.

Within Slaanesh (without Enlightened then, ofc) alliegiance accompanied by Keeper and the mirror. The second option is the Khorne alliegiance with Bloodsecrators. Did I miss anything? Any competitive builds with BoC alliegiance? It seems really lakcluster to me.

Edited by Cookiez

9 minutes ago, Cookiez said:

Ok, I've read through some pages and to summarize the most competitive choices and top builds. So what I'm looking at right now are:

- Bestigors

- Ungor Raiders/Ungors

- Enlightened

- Taurus spell and a combination of 2 Shamans.

Within Slaanesh (without Enlightened then, ofc) alliegiance accompanied by Keeper and the mirror. The second option is the Khorne alliegiance with Bloodsecrators. Did I miss anything? Any competitive builds with BoC alliegiance?

In my opinion your missing:

-Dragon Ogors: tough, fast and decent damage output.  140 points for 15 wounds and 4+ save is great.

-Centigors: crazy fast, cheap and tough.  So good to holding and stealing objectives.

Neither a impressive in terms of damage output but both are great for winning and holding objectives.