AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Just now, SwampHeart said:

Many of the new scenarios have significantly smaller enemy territories. 

Ahhh cool. New to AoS after last playing in 8th Ed, and right now I've got a Desolating Beastherd brewed up that only requires a lot of base swapping in order to play...I'll stay tuned and hopefully some others with more experience chime in as well on this subject. 

For my part, my list all fits within the Desolating Beastherd battalion....so I wonder if continuing to have 1 deployment drop will make up for getting to use the battalion ability less frequently. 

5 hours ago, Maier666 said:

Anyone run a Meeting Engagements game?

We will be playing ah Tournament in September. (it will be fun based and not highly competitive)

I will probably try this out:

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos - Mortal Realm: Aqshy

SPEARHEAD

Doombull (120)

- General

- Command Trait : Rugged Hide

- Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak

3 x Bullgors (160)

- Pairs of Axes

MAIN BODY

Great Bray Shaman (100)

- Lore of the Twisted Wilds : Vicious Stranglethorns

20 x Bestigors (240)

20 x Gors (140)

- Gor-Blades & Beastshields

Cygor (180)

REARGUARD

1 x Tuskgor Chariots (60)

TOTAL: 1000/1000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 85

Looks like an ok list but I don't think you can have the 20 man Bestigors in your main body since they aren't battleline with the Doom Bull as you general. That said I don't know if you want them to be all together, sure they will be a near unstoppable force but I find that there are so few turns in a meeting engagement that you might want to split them up to cover more ground, at least that is what I have come to experience. 

Question for the BoC players. I am considering starting a new project and I am trying to decide what it is. One option is a 2k BoC army that I could use alone or mix in with my Khorne.  BoC already ticks some boxes for me e.g., do I like the models and fluff.

I would be looking for something that scratches a different play style itch to my main two armies. Khorne has its synergies and flexibility of build, a play style I like a lot. My other army are Idoneth which are super fast, hit like a tank and have a lot of tricks. 

So my question is, how would you describe the BoC style? 

Ideally I would like something with a different feel to my other armies.

Cheers

Edited by Praecautus

32 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Cheers

It’s a very fast Infanterie heavy based army.

with them you will basically travel from

one end to the to other edge in no time, making us good for objective crabbing.

what we lack is punch.

sure we have some good units like Bestigors and Enlightenments, but the rest of the bunch isn’t really meant for combat, which is a sad truth for the bullgors who where actually meant for that tasked but can’t fulfill it with having to less attacks and hitting only on 4s.

we also have units that can take units like champions.

need something cheap to disks up all the damage Dragon ogors will be for you.

a unit of 3 has 15wounds with a 4+ save making them for 140p rather good.

they won’t hit as good as Enlightements, but they were never meant to destroy whole units.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Question for the BoC players. I am considering starting a new project and I am trying to decide what it is. One option is a 2k BoC army that I could use alone or mix in with my Khorne.  BoC already ticks some boxes for me e.g., do I like the models and fluff.

I would be looking for something that scratches a different play style itch to my main two armies. Khorne has its synergies and flexibility of build, a play style I like a lot. My other army are Idoneth which are super fast, hit like a tank and have a lot of tricks. 

Cheers

Disclaimer: If you want an army that does something completely differently than those two, you better look somewhere else.

BoC are pretty much a mix of what you said. High mobility army that does well on charge, but lacks the grinding sustain for duking it out with any more elite units.  

HOWEVER: with that said there are some things that BoC can offer to a Khorn allegiance army. Actually a lot. BoC synergize well with the other God armies, if taken via the God Battalion, and you can pull off some sick combos. At least with Khorne, Slaanesh and Nurgle that is. Tzeentch will more likely than not yet get a rework like the other Gods, and we will see how it does with BoC units in the mix then.

But anyway.  Running BoC in Khorne gives you what Khorne lacks. Mobility and high volume of numbers. You could sneak in maybe some Ungor raiders for cheap shooting, but they are not part of the Battalion so you would have to go with the Allies limit, but I think 1 unit of 40 should fit into that.

BoC units can benefit greatly from Bloodstrokers and Bloodsecrators. It turns our cheap low tier elite unit into high end murder machines that still come with the big numbers most of our units do. Khorne buffed minotaurs are no joke, Bestigors become even better. Centigors and Dragon ogors get much more deadly. You get the idea. Beastmen perform better in the God armies than in their own lol.... honestly its sad, that we have no inner army synergy of that magnitude and must sell out oureself to different armies to get to that level.

So yeah, if you are looking for something completely different, I would not recommend BoC as is. But if you are looking for something slightly different, something to fill out the weak spot in your Khorne army, than BoC is the best complimentary "ally" (not really an ally, due to the God Battalions) you can give them.

Edited by Myrdin
  • Thanks 2

BoC is very fast and somewhat fragile, but the same 7-10 units can be played out of many books, that is what BoC does differently than any other army. You can literally play our of the Nurgle, slaanesh, Khorne, Tzeentch book if you like rather than the BoC book. Tho you'll want 2-3 units from each of those books to rally make it work.

But note that BoC fast is not the same of Deepkin fast, BoC can move EVERYTHING fast, this includes 4x30 man units and 2x40 shooting units. BoC is like playing with good Thralls and Reavers, deals same damage, but cheaper and just as fast (Bestigors are 12ppm or 10ppm in max unit these are the Thralls equiv. Raiders are 8ppm the Reaver equiv).

Also the summoning is actually really balanced.

Something else, Chariots are now in units, they are not the best, but 1 unit of 4 is really cheap (50pts each) it gives you a large foot print low model count unit that is good at wounds mitigation (great at conga line into units to make them waste attacks, this is good if you take other better melee units like Tzaangors on Disks), they are basically super fast wounds and body blockers.

Finally, if you want, you can do 1 drop armies, which isnt that hard to do.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone,

Im kinda new to AoS and BoC are pretty far up my list so far^^ 
I wanna try one of these  Meeting Engagement armys for the start.
Nothing super competetive, just fun to play and to play against, also not loosing every single game.

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn

Spearhead
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura 
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade 
10 x Bestigors (120)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)

Main Body
Great Bray Shaman (100)
10 x Bestigors (120)
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)
Cygor (180)
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)

Rearguard
2 x Tuskgor Chariots (120)

Total: 990 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 81

Every sort of help is more then welcome!

Thanks everyone for their input. Seems like BoC maybe a side project for my Khorne. Which sounds fun. But maybe not a stand-alone army for me right now.

I do like the models and the idea of mixing some into my Khorne mortals from an aesthetic point of view.

I am sure I’ll be dropping back into the thread from time to time to ask questions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Praecautus said:

Thanks everyone for their input. Seems like BoC maybe a side project for my Khorne. Which sounds fun. But maybe not a stand-alone army for me right now.

I do like the models and the idea of mixing some into my Khorne mortals from an aesthetic point of view.

I am sure I’ll be dropping back into the thread from time to time to ask questions

Be sure to share your thoughts and pictures of your new Khornate Beastmen when you do 👍

Edited by Myrdin

Hi guys,

what about running BoC in a Nurgle list? I know that there ist a battalion that gives all your units Mark of Nurgle and therefore can be played in a Nurgle army. Though I do not have any clue how to do it. What units are a good choice in that battalion?

Reasons are I like my GUOs, I like my Plaguebearers, but I also like the look of Bestigors and Minotaurs and I want to try something new. therefore, instead of diving into a whole new faction I thought that Nurgle–BoC could be a thing.

Are there any tried concepts? Can anybody offer some insight / advice / experience?

Might it be better to run such a force under Nurgle Allegiance or should I go with BoC Allegiance and use a GUO as allies (if that´s even possible)?

Thanks in advance

HTG

Edited by Hannibal

49 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Hi guys,

what about running BoC in a Nurgle list? I know that there ist a battalion that gives all your units Mark of Nurgle and therefore can be played in a Nurgle army. Though I do not have any clue how to do it. What units are a good choice in that battalion?

Reasons are I like my GUOs, I like my Plaguebearers, but I also like the look of Bestigors and Minotaurs and I want to try something new. therefore, instead of diving into a whole new faction I thought that Nurgle–BoC could be a thing.

Are there any tried concepts? Can anybody offer some insight / advice / experience?

Might it be better to run such a force under Nurgle Allegiance or should I go with BoC Allegiance and use a GUO as allies (if that´s even possible)?

Thanks in advance

HTG

Not a Nurgle player, but can answer some.

No, beasts cannot take Nurgle allies, slaves to darkness are the only allies they can take.

Beasts in general are super fast, which is something Nurgle lacks.

Bestigor are good in Nurgle. The spell blades of putrefaction triggers on a 5 and 6 for them Vs large units.

Centigors are even better to buff, since they have a native +1 to hit alongside having 4 attacks each. 

The main benefit Bullgor get is the healing from Nurgle, that said I think they work better in Khorne or Slaanesh (they really want more attacks, or better hit rate).

The battalion itself is super flexible. The effect isn't the best, but can be useful. Units from the battalion that get wiped out do mortals to enemies near them on a 2+. So it's a handy buff for little cheap minimum units. Also, being a super flexible and potentially big battalion allows you to have a lot of small units without increasing your drop rate.

So.. here is something i am doing (mostly b.c i have everything but the legs). I am going to make 9 Skyfires (I have 18 Disks so might as well),  the upper body from/arms/weapons are separate. I ordered a box of 10 Tzaangors (basically cutting the arms off) the disks are just going to be a 400m base with some greenstuff and spikes.

Now that GH2019 is out and we have re-roll 1's in shooting for CP, i'm thinking about actually runing it seriously, for 760pts, 1 shaman, 1x9 Skyfire's, maybe a ungor unit to teleport blocking.

With 16" movement and 24" shooting, 3+/3+ re-roll 1's, 6's deal D3 MW's (7 hits, 1 becomes MW's, so 6 hits, 4 wounds, rend 1) on average vs 4+ save its 8 damage, that is enough to deal damage to almost anything big, tho 3+ save units will be hard. After shooting for a couple turns (the goal to deal 16 damage over 2 turns give or take a wound or 2), then turn 3 go and attack in melee, their melee isnt 1/2 bad if you go first (deals more in melee than shooting at times), but the goal is to not go out to soon, dont want them to die. Get ride of large threats first with them, raiders, bestigors, use our speed to win, then use the 16-19" movement turn 3-5 to sniper out objectives.

34 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

You kinda need it..... they changed a lot about some of the missions, terrain (tho the terrain is in a FAQ b.c they messed it up) new command abilities, mercenaries, new way to play 1k games, buying CP changed, etc...

Jesus..... I am SOOO not looking forward to this ><

Edited by Myrdin
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2019 at 1:38 AM, Satyrical Sophist said:

Not a Nurgle player, but can answer some.

No, beasts cannot take Nurgle allies, slaves to darkness are the only allies they can take.

Beasts in general are super fast, which is something Nurgle lacks.

Bestigor are good in Nurgle. The spell blades of putrefaction triggers on a 5 and 6 for them Vs large units.

Centigors are even better to buff, since they have a native +1 to hit alongside having 4 attacks each. 

The main benefit Bullgor get is the healing from Nurgle, that said I think they work better in Khorne or Slaanesh (they really want more attacks, or better hit rate).

The battalion itself is super flexible. The effect isn't the best, but can be useful. Units from the battalion that get wiped out do mortals to enemies near them on a 2+. So it's a handy buff for little cheap minimum units. Also, being a super flexible and potentially big battalion allows you to have a lot of small units without increasing your drop rate.

Raiders are also very good in Nurgle: since they reroll 1's and 2's to hit they have a decent chance of rolling 6's for Blades of Putrefaction. They add a nice shooting threat to Nurgle that people won't expect.

Ah, well the rules are all small and you only need them while you set the game up, nothing mid game actually changed other than the wording of the missions and how many objectives are in some, oh and DZ sizes a bit.

But b.c its charts and measurements cant really tell you.

• Thanks 1

Guys, I'm torn between BoC and FEC. Can someone give me a quick run-down on how  the BoC faction plays (keeping in mind I don't have any other chaos) and in general how is the faction doing these days? Or can someone link me to somewhere it's already been written? thanks

1 minute ago, ColsBols said:

Guys, I'm torn between BoC and FEC. Can someone give me a quick run-down on how  the BoC faction plays (keeping in mind I don't have any other chaos) and in general how is the faction doing these days? Or can someone link me to somewhere it's already been written? thanks

Somebody asked that question just some posts up. Did you do any research yourself or checked any of the recent posts in this discussion?

That will probably get you started.