AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So, this list went 4-1 at the US Open down in New Orleans:

http://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/us-open-new-orleans-4-1-gavin-grigar/

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos

- Greatfray: Gavespawn

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders

Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (185)

- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade

- Lore of Dark Storms: Hailstorm

Tzaangor Shaman of Beasts of Chaos (135)

- General

- Command Trait: Unravelling Aura

- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Titanic Fury

Tzaangor Shaman of Beasts of Chaos (135)

- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Wild Rampage

Great-Bray Shaman (100)

- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Savage Dominion

Grashrak Fellhoof (150)

- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)

- Sword

- Mark of Chaos: Khorne

- Allies

Battleline

10 x Tzaangors of Beasts of Chaos (175)

- 2x Pair of Savage Blade

- 4x Savage Greatblade

- 2x Savage Blade & Arcanite Shield

- 4x Savage Greatblade

- 4x Savage Greatblade

- 4x Savage Greatblade

- 4x Savage Greatblade

Units

5 x Grashrak's Despoilers (0)

1 x Chaos Spawn (55)

1 x Chaos Spawn (55)

Endless Spells & Invocations

Umbral Spellportal (70)

Core Battalions

*Battle Regiment

**Battle Regiment

Total: 1970 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 0 / 4

Allies: 210 / 400

Wounds: 155

Drops: 2

For the life of me, I can't figure out *how*. It's a decent amount of mildly mobile bodies/wounds, but a lot of no-bonus casting and fragile troops. Hoping that the person who took it talks about it with someone this week, because I'm keenly interested!

4 hours ago, Bregor said:

So, this list went 4-1 at the US Open down in New Orleans:

http://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/us-open-new-orleans-4-1-gavin-grigar/

For the life of me, I can't figure out *how*. It's a decent amount of mildly mobile bodies/wounds, but a lot of no-bonus casting and fragile troops. Hoping that the person who took it talks about it with someone this week, because I'm keenly interested!

Keeping the enemy slowed down with the Khorne DP and Hailstorm on the Shaggoths helps a bit to try and keep the Tzaangors near the 5 casters to try to kill an extra unit while buffing the Shaggoth in combat. Its honestly very hard to do and you need some good matchups/missions. 

Has anyone tried any alternate Dragon Ogre models, such as the ones from Duncan Shadow sold on Etsy? I dislike the GW models visually, the front legs on a couple of the models straight out from their bodies with joints locked just looks unnatural to me. Some of the alternate sculpts appear to vary in height so I'm curious how they scale compared to the GW figs?

19 hours ago, Lupercal said:

Has anyone tried any alternate Dragon Ogre models, such as the ones from Duncan Shadow sold on Etsy? I dislike the GW models visually, the front legs on a couple of the models straight out from their bodies with joints locked just looks unnatural to me. Some of the alternate sculpts appear to vary in height so I'm curious how they scale compared to the GW figs?

Hi!

I've went for a dangerous "Counts as". Since I make a Tzeentch style army, My Dragon Ogres are as follows, My Shaggoth is a centaur out of the Lord Aquinor and the Silver Tower Ogroid, they have the same "chassis" so if fits more or less. But I have not tried them at a Tournament so don't know how would the TO look at them.

20210916_092033.jpg

20210923_185732.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 4

On 9/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, Chaos Shepard said:

Raw damage I would say the Bullgor are better. They have more attacks and higher rend. The main thing the Ghorgon brings to the table is Monstrous rampage.

The Ghorgon hits on 3s (or can be 2s).  You can suffer some bad dice dice spiking with Bullgors.  I also think a Ghorgon and a Doombull paired up together is a good combo compared to 3 bullgors.  Just me, maybe different playstyle.  I also historically have had good success pairing a Doombull and Ghorgon in 8th, AoS 1, 2. maybe 3?  I want to try it.

On 10/10/2021 at 6:54 AM, Lupercal said:

I use old metal bottom DOs and metal River Troll tops.  it's a painful conversion so I onl have 6 done up.  Plus these days finding those two models is hard.  In older days the models were bad, not good in either army and you could pick them up cheap (as in $5 a model).  Then AoS made anything old on eBay listed at stupid insane prices.  

I recall Hastings on Warseer saying GW held back those models and he knew people would be disappointed when they came out.  They are just,.. not good.  

On 10/11/2021 at 4:21 AM, Apok said:

Hi!

I've went for a dangerous "Counts as". Since I make a Tzeentch style army, My Dragon Ogres are as follows, My Shaggoth is a centaur out of the Lord Aquinor and the Silver Tower Ogroid, they have the same "chassis" so if fits more or less. But I have not tried them at a Tournament so don't know how would the TO look at them.

20210916_092033.jpg

20210923_185732.jpg

That's awsome, I also used Gryph-charger in my Dragonogre conversions. Though I stuck with the centaur build for all of them.

3 hours ago, Popisdead said:

The Ghorgon hits on 3s (or can be 2s).  You can suffer some bad dice dice spiking with Bullgors.  I also think a Ghorgon and a Doombull paired up together is a good combo compared to 3 bullgors.  Just me, maybe different playstyle.  I also historically have had good success pairing a Doombull and Ghorgon in 8th, AoS 1, 2. maybe 3?  I want to try it.

With few attacks I find the Ghorgon's dice can spike just as bad as the Bullgors. Add in the lower rend and its much easier for you opponent to negate the Ghorgon's damage over the Bullgors. That's not to say I don't like the Ghorgon. Its just if you are going for raw damage, the Bullgors are your better bet. The Ghorgon, in my opinion, works better when you take its tech in mind.

Speaking of Ghorgon, I just finished my second one.

380143709_GhorgonUpwardShot.jpg.221ea2ca1238eb44b4c8e9565256f6e4.jpg

Ghorgon.jpg.712ba0bbae56a275f8fd3504cab8a70a.jpg

Cow goes "MMMMMMurder"

Edited by Chaos Shepard
  • Like 6

On 10/12/2021 at 9:47 PM, Televiper11 said:

Started playing Frostgrave. Am using BoC for my warband! 

FC79E3C8-C2E5-44C7-BFBE-5E41E6DFCCB7.jpeg

I love Frostgrave! But now, I can't wait to play Stargrave using my GCPS models from Mantic Games.

13 hours ago, Chaos Shepard said:

That's awsome, I also used Gryph-charger in my Dragonogre conversions. Though I stuck with the centaur build for all of them.

That is a Great idea! Care to tell me what was the upper part from?:)

4 hours ago, Apok said:

That is a Great idea! Care to tell me what was the upper part from?:)

Well I needed something slim that would match well with the Gryph-charger's frame. I tried a few things at first, gors where to small bullgors to bulky. I then held up one of my chaos spawn that I converted from a Vargheists/Crypt Horors and it really felt like the perfect fit, so that is what I went with.

shaggoth_multiple_angles_by_southpawstud

ddihp1f-eb1d76b1-1a9f-4665-8ec3-88cff8cf

There is also a fair amount of greenstuff involved such as the sculpted on breast plates. 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 10/13/2021 at 12:39 PM, Chaos Shepard said:

With few attacks I find the Ghorgon's dice can spike just as bad as the Bullgors. Add in the lower rend and its much easier for you opponent to negate the Ghorgon's damage over the Bullgors. That's not to say I don't like the Ghorgon. Its just if you are going for raw damage, the Bullgors are your better bet. The Ghorgon, in my opinion, works better when you take its tech in mind.

That's true to some degree also but a 4+ and 3+ to hit is significant enough I feel.  Paying for rend in a save stacking meta is tricky.  Meh, maybe it's just my games.

On 10/10/2021 at 3:54 PM, Lupercal said:

I used Lauka Vai and the Ogroid Myrmidon

IMG_20211021_113445_384.jpg

20211017_214405.jpg

20211017_214349.jpg

20211017_214335.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 11:04 AM, Popisdead said:

That's true to some degree also but a 4+ and 3+ to hit is significant enough I feel.  Paying for rend in a save stacking meta is tricky.  Meh, maybe it's just my games.

Having played a few more game I just wanted to say that I do think the Ghorgon is probably better over all. Being a monster, having monstrous actions, counting as 5 models on an objective, having a 2 inch reach, and if you inlcude Ravenous Bloodgreed and Swallow Whole, the Ghorgon could match the damage the Bullgors offer.

I do feel both of these units need All Out Attack to be reliably effective. In this way the Bullgors are a lot more independent. Both units should be screened for their protection but I feel like I can be a little more free with the Bullgors just becasue they are less of an investment.

Still I will say that I think Ghorgons are probably the better investment over all.

I mean I just played a small team tournament where I took 2 Ghorgon and took second place. I would share the photos but they are really potato cam.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 9:40 PM, Chaos Shepard said:

In this way the Bullgors are a lot more independent.

That seems like a really good thing to highlight right now for people looking to play with Warherd.  Bullgors being a unit, Ghorgons being good to pair up with a Doombull.  Think of them as two different purposes.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:56 PM, Chaos Shepard said:

One more thing to keep in mind when it comes to Bullgors is that it isn't a bad idea to keep some on hand for summoning. Charging out of summoning is always a gamble but an 8 is a hell of a lot easier to get than a 9.

Just a champion of Warherd these days ain't ya :)

If you summon Gors do they get their re-roll?

Did anyone notice the meme on twitter (not on FB assuming it's there too) about one of the rumour drops looking like tyranid but also really looking like the t-rex weak arm on the Jabber?  

Started a bit of chatter perhaps our update isn't too far away with a new range (granted rumours used to be 3-6 months, but lately i think there are some a few years behind).

Edited by Popisdead

On 10/26/2021 at 4:54 PM, mukslinger said:

This is ridiculously fantastic; has the old model vibe, and is now my favorite Shaggoth conversion. After, sharing this amazing peice of art, what else you got? lol.

Thank you for the kind words! 

I have some "gors", "bullgors" and som "raiders" aswell, going for a more human and troll vibe.

IMG_20211115_190725_255.jpg

1636993883314_0.jpg

IMG_20210713_210747_728.jpg

20210602_083227.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3