AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

They couldve just wrote "nobody in the studio plays beasts" because theres no way anyone with a passing knowledge of the army didnt realize they invalidated every god marked army and then didnt even allow them to ally. Sure maybe the book will fix it. Eventually. But in the meantime I just can't play the army they sold me. Cool. 

I mean, just a quick browsing of our book could have told you that. "If you roll an unmodified 7 on one die on the third tuesday of the 5th month after a leap year add +1 bravery to a random unit of Ungor."

Edited by Vaporlocke
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vaporlocke said:

Anyone else notice they didn't increase our minimum unit sizes? I always ran raiders as MSU speedbumps anyway, but now there's no way for them to get their warscroll bonus.

It looks like in *most* cases they went with a "1 box = minimum unit size" - with the exception that some are smaller than one box, as if they didn't want battleline or basic units to be over 300 points or so.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bregor said:

It looks like in *most* cases they went with a "1 box = minimum unit size" - with the exception that some are smaller than one box, as if they didn't want battleline or basic units to be over 300 points or so.

I keep forgetting they came in a squad of 10 in the SC box. I always associate Ungor with a box of 20.

Well I didn't think Bullgors or Doombulls deserved a points increase.  But maybe it's cuz of that +1 to hit CA?  Which all armies can get?  But still I'm glad we can get a hit buff easily now!  That helps.  Dragon Ogors certainly didn't need that though, they still are underpowered.  And Ungors?!?

Gonna make a nice shelf until we can give the Beasts a Mark of Chaos.

15 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Well I didn't think Bullgors or Doombulls deserved a points increase.  But maybe it's cuz of that +1 to hit CA?  Which all armies can get?  But still I'm glad we can get a hit buff easily now!  That helps.  Dragon Ogors certainly didn't need that though, they still are underpowered.  And Ungors?!?

Gonna make a nice shelf until we can give the Beasts a Mark of Chaos.

If we even can.

This is a fluff snippet from the latest core book and it makes it seem like there are no worshipers of the chaos gods :/ I hate it.

thumb_200920533_338806171011499_6430661636172941547_n.gif

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Beasts of Chaos cannot be allies of the 4 gods, but also Slaves to Darkness units that can take a mark cannot be allies of the 4 gods. But marked Slaves units definitely still can join god aligned armies as the sidebar clarification of coalition units specifically includes an example of taking Chaos Warriors with the Mark of Khorne as coalition units in a Blades of Khorne army. To me this makes it seem near 100% likely that the allegiance abilities of the 4 gods will be FAQed to add the option of giving marks to BoC units and taking them as coalition units. This coalition unit thing is underexplained in the GHB so I guess it will just be fully defined on an army by army basis in their allegiance abilities. So basically we just need to wait for the battletome FAQs, but based on the above coincidence I think we should be optimistic.

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, The Red King said:

I think you can post the screenshot it isnt a leak cause we're past the NDA date judging from the fact the video exists. Send it to me if you dont wanna post it here please. Our allies table matters a lot to my army!

I'm also really surprised by these changes. Cities had multiple point decreases but for us it's only the tzaangor units?

Most books only had increases and it seems like the tzaangor drop is because they're now doing different costs for different armies.

4 hours ago, Bregor said:

This is interesting - Tzaangor-types are no longer paying the "DoT tax"! They are all cheaper in BoC now than in DoT. That's a nice change

True but they weren't good in DoT anyways, nobody really played them there and they definitely got weaker with the edition change. Their increase there is probably just collateral damage.

Hmm not a fan of the price hikes. I wonder when our book will be released and if finally for the first time someone competent writes it, and the army as a total is coherent and makes sense, rather then the random jumbled mess we have been for a while now.

16 hours ago, The Red King said:

If we even can.

This is a fluff snippet from the latest core book and it makes it seem like there are no worshipers of the chaos gods :/ I hate it.

thumb_200920533_338806171011499_6430661636172941547_n.gif

This says the opposite, just b.c they are "looked down on" doesn't mean it doesn't happen, this to me says they can and do go the way of chaos Gods but the true Greatfrays think they are better (Which has always been the lore). 

So... after GHB, I just dont' want to keep waiting before I make some decisions on my building... so here's one I was hoping to get some help with.

I'm not after a wildly powerful list (obv ;-))

With reinforcements/the new edition/the new costs, does anyone have any opinions about ungors with hand weapons vs spears? What units are going to be worth reinforcing? Is there a place for an ungor horde?

Thanks!

Going off the numbers blades vs spears, you are talking about 3 Damage on average with a 30 block and getting 25 in range vs 5+ saves. 17 Blades in range is equal damage in a 30 block (for re-roll 1's).

Is 3 damage really worth it? no lol. Ungors are not there for damage at all, we don't have buffs like all other horde armies/units. 

Edited by Maddpainting

7 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

Going off the numbers blades vs spears, you are talking about 3 Damage on average with a 30 block and getting 25 in range vs 5+ saves. 17 Blades in range is equal damage in a 30 block (for re-roll 1's).

Is 3 damage really worth it? no lol. Ungors are not there for damage at all, we don't have buffs like all other horde armies/units. 

fair enough!  that's basically what I was looking for.  thanks!

2 hours ago, Fyrenn said:

So... after GHB, I just dont' want to keep waiting before I make some decisions on my building... so here's one I was hoping to get some help with.

I'm not after a wildly powerful list (obv ;-))

With reinforcements/the new edition/the new costs, does anyone have any opinions about ungors with hand weapons vs spears? What units are going to be worth reinforcing? Is there a place for an ungor horde?

Thanks!

I can't see a list here on my screen?

My current plan is to take

Gavespawn

Warlord regiment:

Beastlord w/ unraveling aura & mutating gnarlblade

Shaman w/ stranglethorns & knowing eye

Shaman w/ wild rampage

10 gors ×2

Alpha beast pack:

Ghorgon ×2

Battle regiment: 

Doombull

Dragon ogre shaggoth w/hailstorm

10 bestigors ×3

6 bullgor

5 centigor

Wildfire Taurus.

The plan is to drop in an order to give as little information as possible to the opponent ambushing all the gors, bestigors, and beastlord while the beefiest units march up the table. Alpha beast pack gives the ghorgon just a little more speed to work with. Centigor start near a shaman for a 17"+run+charge threat range, not that they threaten anything but a backfield unit, and what they are really there for is running around screens and tying up shooters to prevent unleash hell on more important targets. Seems like they'll play the same as ever. Distract them with bodies on objectives and try to get some ideal bull charges. Oh and the shaggoth makes a perfect delivery system for the wildfire Taurus since he can stay in range to control it quite happily.

• Like 2

My new list so far to test out is

Shaggoth, Amulet of Destiny, Adamantine Scares
Shaman
Shaman
T-shaman
Gors
Gors
Gors
Raiders
Raiders
Bestigors
Bestigors
Bestigors
Enlighten on foot
Enlighten on foot
Enlighten on foot
Enlighten on foot
Cockatrice
Cockatrice
Cockatrice

Warlord, Vanguard, and Hunters of the Heartland detachments

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

My new list so far to test out is

Shaggoth, Amulet of Destiny, Adamantine Scares
Shaman
Shaman
T-shaman
Gors
Gors
Gors
Raiders
Raiders
Bestigors
Bestigors
Bestigors
Enlighten on foot
Enlighten on foot
Enlighten on foot
Enlighten on foot
Cockatrice
Cockatrice
Cockatrice

Warlord, Vanguard, and Hunters of the Heartland detachments

I've always liked the tzaangor and might end up getting some just to paint and summon but as for raiders, their max size 20 and no desolating brayherd makes me see no reason to ever bring them. I wouldn't even spend the extra primordial call to get them over regular ungors. Interested to see how the cockatrice perform though.

Gavespawn

(Warlord Battalion)

Beastlord- Gnarlblade

Great Bray-Shaman

Great Bray-Shaman (General) Amulet of Destiny

10x Ungor

(Vanguard Battalion)

Great Bray-Shaman

30x Bestigor

(No Battalion)

10× Bestigor

10x Bestigor

10x Ungor Raiders

10x Ungor Raiders

10x Ungor Raiders

10x Ungor Raiders

10x Gor

10x Gor

Ghorgon

1x Chaos Spawn

Wildfire Taurus

1985 points if my math is right

Changes:

I lose my one drop from my old list, but with everyone now able to do it it's not as big of an advantage. Six battleline units make my grand strategy a no-brainer. I still have huge amounts of board control and have always hit like a wet noodle in combat so no change there (I'm going to miss exploding 6's, every die counts when your stat lines are bad). The plan is to still be using the old speed bump tactics to tie up enemies and keep them off objectives. 

25 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I've always liked the tzaangor and might end up getting some just to paint and summon but as for raiders, their max size 20 and no desolating brayherd makes me see no reason to ever bring them. I wouldn't even spend the extra primordial call to get them over regular ungors. Interested to see how the cockatrice perform though.

Raiders are amazing, you don't take them in large units, just 10 mans to screen with pre-games, help some missions, etc.. I have been playing raiders sense day 1 and i'm not stopping now, their usefulness is way to good.

Cockatrices were good before and now there is more reasons to take them, being 20pts over Gors they are amazing distraction units, and if they don't handle them some MW's and Monster abilities could make enemy units not use command, or kill terrain, etc... 

Tzaangors with Shield and Great weapons is something I am thinking about too b.c you can bring back some with Rally and Tzaangor Shamans, I am most likely going to summon them here and there. I also will make a list with 10 of them. I am looking forward to playing them actually. But I want to test out my first list a few times.

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Like 2

I think I'll try a super aggressive one!

WARLORD:    385
Shaggoth    185 (Amulet of Destiny; Lightning-fast Monstruosity)
Shaman        100
Shaman        100

REGIMENT:
Shaman        100    
10 ungors     70
10 ungors     70
10 gors         75
10 Bestigor    135
10 Bestigor    135
10 Bestigor    135

Alpha beast Pack: 440
chimera        220