AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 4/6/2020 at 2:45 PM, Maddpainting said:

Ghyrstrike can be very good on a Shaggoth, you can easily get -2rend (he is already -1), re-rolls and +1 to atks (tho that is either a spell for a CP). 4 wounds at 3D isnt a bad thing (up to 12D). The problem is the Shaggoth is a bit costly, for 20pts more you can just have 2 Doombulls.

But the Shaggoth can cast a good movement spell from range while killing ungors for summon points or hit himself and heal himself.  That's not to be ignored.  granted I love Doombulls so I would take as many of them as I could also :P

On 4/12/2020 at 3:55 AM, Shaquilleoheal said:

Best setup for Gor if someone wanna run a big 30 unit of them?

In Darkwalkers they can pop around the board with that command ability late game or just be that Gor required for any specific battalion and be an large footprint screen.  

Hey, so I've decided to switch my beasts of Khorne to beasts of chaos (the joke is that they are taking anger management classes over the quarantine) and was intrigued by the idea of the tzaangor enlightened on foot. Has anyone given them a try since the points increase on the disc version? I also had the silly thought of up buffing chaos giants and throwing them at the enemy for shiggles. (potential +3 attacks on one of them at a time) What's been peoples' experience using our gargants?  Any little, often overlooked gems I should know about?

Side note: It seems that I'm not the only one who wants their beast lord to be relevant. It really seems like the only way to do so is with the gavespawn, I mean + attacks is nice, but I more want to use it so my herd's alpha beast can feel like ,,, well, an alpha beast. It's a real shame that all of the command abilities for BoC are situational at best. (of which there are only two, geeze) Any other ways for a beast lord to shine?

Walrus, the Chaos Gargant is fun, but another example of feast or famine. When it works, it obliterates its opposition. When it whiffs, it whiffs hard.

Personally, I find that if playing the Chaos Gargant, one might as well go all-in and team it with a Great Bray-Shaman with Titanic Fury. Cast that spell, use the Chaos Gargant's "take a wound to add attacks ability," and then headbutt three times in a row.

Have fun with it. It can be worth it, provided one accepts that the unit is probably less consistent than other available options.

• Like 1

Decker, I don't disagree. Further, I think that if one is going to play the Chaos Gargant, it is best teamed with a Great Bray-Shaman, meaning that those two will cost collectively 110pm more than simply playing a Ghorgon.

The Chaos Gargant is fun, though, and its damage can spike even higher than the Ghorgon's output. I can imagine using the Chaos Gargant for fun, knowing its weaknesses and yet wanting to play a more narrative, thematic list.

• Like 1

So, I'm still having fun with my Pestilent Throng. In fact, I recently updated the list to benefit from the Droning Guard...

I dropped my two Ghorgons and Great Bray-Shaman that I used previously in this list, to instead utilize a six-model unit of Plague Drones. In doing so, I gained a more dependable hammer, one that is also more resistant to counterattack. I now have three elite units that are capable of charging on the first turn. The Droning Guard's command trait is helpful for my playstyle, and the subfaction's artefact lends my Doombull greater survivability.

I still benefit from my run and charge Warherd (thank you, Feculent Gnarlmaw!), as well as Centigor buffed by Blades of Putrefaction.

Please let me know what you think of the list. Narrative-wise, I imagine this Pestilent Throng surges out from the fever swamps of the Realm of Fire, gone rabid in the wake of the Droning Guard. I look forward to your feedback!

2000pt PESTILENT THRONG LIST

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Droning Guard
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Command Trait : Rotwing Commander
- Plague Flail & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak
- Lore of Virulence : Glorious Afflictions

Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction

Doombull (100)
- Artefact: Cloak of Flies

6 x Plague Drones (400)

6 x Bullgors (280)
- Great Axes

20 x Centigors (320)

10 x Gors (70)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields

10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Pestilent Throng (200)

Extra Command Point (50)

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hello everybody,

I've decided myself to start an AoS army, after years of anger vs the old world destruction. But ok, i'm in peace now 😄 

I've no longer any miniatures, i've sold everythings years ago, so i start an all new things. And i've choose the BoC. because i've always love them. And they get through the End of Times. Which is badass!

What do you think of this 1k army list. I will mostly play against my girlfriend, which choose the Sylvaneth. But i plan to go to some local tournament. Don't know yet. There is the list:

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos

Leaders
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Shadowpelt
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Titanic Fury

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Bestigors (120)

Units
6 x Furies (100)
- Allies

Behemoths
Ghorgon (160)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 100 / 200
Wounds: 96

The idea is to send the 10 Bestigors unit in ambush. The 30 Bestigors and the Gorghon will be my main damage sources (obviously) and they get supported by the Shaman who will buff the Gorghon or forces ennemy to get along my Bestigors/Gorghon. 10 Ungors will serve as screen, the others 10 as sacrificial source for invoc. And the Furies will be my tool to get a little amount of flying attacks with rend-1 where i need to.

Seems honnest to you? (and if my english sucks, sorry but i have an excuse, im french 😁)

I do Not know if this already came up in this thread. Nevertheless, I got the idea, how ideal the Mindstealer Sphiranx is as an ally for Beasts OF Chaos. 

It Provides BoC with the buffs already existi g in BoC armies. However, you do not always put the Bull through. Mindstealer ASL always worms even through the Range is short and IT only works in the hero phase. If you use Ungor screen, this is not that big of an issue if you have the next turn. 

Moreover, you can easily construct a     - 5 braver bomb combines with the ravening direflock. 

What do you think of this 100 point Support-Piece? 

Edited by Salyx

11 minutes ago, Salyx said:

I do Not know if this already came up in this thread. Nevertheless, I got the idea, how ideal the Mindstealer Sphiranx is as an ally for Beasts OF Chaos. 

It Provides BoC with the buffs already existi g in BoC armies. However, you do not always put the Bull through. Mindstealer ASL always worms even through the Range is short and IT only works in the hero phase. If you use Ungor screen, this is not that big of an issue if you have the next turn. 

Moreover, you can easily construct a     - 5 braver bomb combines with the ravening direflock. 

What do you think of this 100 point Support-Piece? 

Great deal. Great fit for beasts. 

Khorne daemon princes (which combines with Shaggoth's hail storm) and Belakor are two other standout ally choices that the Slaves to Darkness battletome provided. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve decided to pickup Beasts and have jumped in with a start collecting box and a Herdstone, I also already own beastgrave. What are people’s opinions on the below as a starter 1000pts, as it only requires me to grab another start collecting, if I convert the Bestigor from beastgrave into a Beastlord, and some spawns.

- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Command Trait: Unravelling Aura  
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade  
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
Ghorgon (160)
Ghorgon (160)

Total: 990 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 83

I was thinking something along the lines of below but I get kinda lost after 1000pts.

Beastlord (90)
- General
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Doombull (100)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
30 x Gors (200)
- Two Gor-Blades
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)
3 x Bullgors (140)
- Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (140)
- Great Axes
Ghorgon (160)
Ghorgon (160)
Cygor (140)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 179

11 hours ago, Scaras said:

I was thinking something along the lines of below but I get kinda lost after 1000pts.

Beastlord (90)
- General
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Doombull (100)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
30 x Gors (200)
- Two Gor-Blades
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)
3 x Bullgors (140)
- Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (140)
- Great Axes
Ghorgon (160)
Ghorgon (160)
Cygor (140)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 179

I personally prefer a 40 man mob of raiders over the gors......40 shots, rerolling 1s AND 2s, 6s generating extra hits..... what could be better than that?

Edited by Tasman

23 hours ago, Tasman said:

I personally prefer a 40 man mob of raiders over the gors......40 shots, rerolling 1s AND 2s, 6s generating extra hits..... what could be better than that?

Does having a unit size of 40 become a bit unmanageable or cause a lot of wasted shots?

4 hours ago, Scaras said:

Does having a unit size of 40 become a bit unmanageable or cause a lot of wasted shots?

Not at all, they are normally one of my MVP's in most games. They move (near a shaman and with the pre-game movement) turn 1 around 16+D6" with 18" range, or if you needed to Ambushing them. They can pretty much hit everything.

Also b.c of their base 6+1+D6 run and shoot movements with +3" from a shaman, they can move anywhere you want mostly. Fine move around 13-14" a turn normally. 

The key is to not have them right out in front, otherwise they';; be killed to quickly.

I don't think using summoning points is a viable tactic for spawn. Considering the amount hasn't changed you're always going to be spending more points in summoning than just paying for the spawn up front. Even 10 ungor at 60pts is a better expenditure. 

Summoning is used primarily in 2 ways. Summon bodies to take objectives, or get in the way, or summoning a nasty unit to help kill. 
Note: If an objective is 12" from the table edge, when you summon your units will have a model in range to gain control of it.

Remember all of this is dependent on the situation you are in, if i say its a bad unit to summon that doesn't mean its not good for you in that one moment.

The better summoning units in general;
Ungors: Cheap bodies, easy to summon, great to get an objective when you don't have many PC points to use
Spawn: good for Gavespawn if you need one
Cockatrice: These guys are annoying for everyone, has a 50/50 chance to deal D6 MW's, can fly and harass backline units, good to summon on a backline objectives with something small like Skinks near it. Its evil enough they might send something big at it, but its big enough that something small can't deal with it, the best distraction unit.
Tzaangors on Disks: Just a powerful fast moving melee unit. Might not do much the turn it comes in, but the next turn it'll wreck. Don't summon them on turn 5 type of unit, turn 3-4 and use them to help mid/late game. They are worth it over a Chimera mostly b.c they can do a lot of damage and near a shaman still move 19" and charge.
Chimera: This guy is a beast if you summon him especially in gavespawn near a spawn. It auto deals D6 MW's to something within 14" and has +2" to charge, meaning you need a 7" to charge off of summoning instead of a 9", very good chance to charge. With Cogs or a Hero near by its almost always going to charge. Giving it also has a lot of attacks, he can kill off almost any cheap unit holding a back objective.

Some units are really bad to summon in general;
Cygor, Giant, and Ghorgon: These are bad b.c it takes 9-10pts when a Chimera is 10pts and in in every way better, Ghorgon/Cygor both should be 7pts
Jabberscythe: Just bad at everything in general, waste of points, a Cocktrice is better and 3pts less even
Gors: Can just summon Ungors, Summoning 3pt unit and saving the 4th point would be better Unless you really need 10 4+ save units,
Razorgors: Just summon a chariot instead, better save, better wounds, faster. Just better in general.
Skyfires: Cost 10, just summon a Chimera
Dragon Ogres:  For 7 points summon anything else, Enlighten on Disks are better to summon, The only reason to summon DO's is for wounds and a 4+ save, but Centigors are better at that in general, you can summon nearly 2 units for 1, thats 10 bodies with 20 wounds vs 3 bodies with 15pts for 1 summoning point more.
Warhounds: Basically Centigors with no buffs, slower, and weaker

Other units:
Bestigors: These are also fine to summon, but seeing as they are 6 points, they are at that fine line of "should i use them now or wait?" They are not bad to summon, but not really picked a lot.
Raiders: They can be very good summon, given they are 4pts and ungor stats, they can shoot tho, but they will most likely only do 1-2 wounds. When there is a very weak unit, or a hero almost dead, they could be what you need.
Centigors: Cheap fast units, can summon turn 1 sometimes and now you have a mobile units (if that is what you need)
Bullgors: They are good b.c they can hit hard, has lots of wounds, but also they have a +1" to charge and sometimes you can no wait for 10pts to summon a Chimera, they work best with Cogs, making them 6" to make their charges. But they also are 8pts to summon, so its either them or Tzaangors on Disks, most the time you'll just pick the Tzaangors, but if you need a solid unit with a slightly better chance to charge then sure. Sadly they should be at 7PC points. I personally don't summon them a lot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Cygor, Giant, and Ghorgon: These are bad b.c it takes 9-10pts when a Chimera is 10pts and in in every way better, Ghorgon/Cygor both should be 7pts

This reminds me how Alarielle gets to summon 200 points of Kurnoth Hunters or 120 points of Spite Revenants.  Even at 20 Spite Revenants I would usually lean towards 3 Bow Hunters (maybe the exception is Winterleaf).

GW changed the Slaanesh summoning table but not ours.  Something to email their plc faq? address?  I cannot recall the e-mail address.  The developers on their podcasts claim every email is read, multiples are paid more attention to and clear issues are "dealt with".  so... maybe worth that grassroots effort.  

• Like 1

I sent them a body of text saying i these changes are needed (such as points drop and commonality of points, and value of summonablility of units, etc..) also suggested that only Chimera be at 10 as if anything else is at 10 it feels wrong (nothing else is that costly and that good to summon), trying to even out the numbers as well as trying to kinda keep with the 20pt loose rule per PC. Finally nothing was going to drop to extremely (like a 10 can not drop to an 7). EDIT: Assuming DOs going down 10-20pts as well in the next Generals Handbook.

This is what i proposed, do you like?

Chimera 10
Skyfires 9
Tzaangors 9
Gargant 8
Ghorgon 8
Cygor 8
Bullgors 7
Tzaangor Enlighten on Disk 7
Jabbersythe 7
Dragon Ogres 6
Bestigors 6

The rest will stay the same

EDIT: Forgot to make Enlighten on Disks an 8. That should be a change.
Edited by Maddpainting