AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Just out of curiosity, any of you`ve seen the BoC cards for Warcry ?
Are they any good ?
From what I`ve seen on the ability preview, they seem rather crappy, but I havent seen the individual unit cards. And after getting burned by DoK I dont wanna throw out my money for a Warband that while I love as they are extension of my AoS Beastmen, does not hold candle next to the other Warcry and most importantly non Warcry warbands.

1 hour ago, Maddpainting said:

No DO, no Bullgors, no tzaangors, no ghorgons/cygors either, just straight up Ungors/Bestigors/Raiders. EToD are not really that good to spam anymore with the points increase but a unit is never bad as they still are effective, 1 unit of 6 is fine tho or 2x3, or w/e you like, just not 12-15 of them.  A couple Shamans, then w/e other heroes you want out of Doombull/BL and maybe a Tzaangor Shaman to get spells off and support TEoD.

You win by board control and timing your damage to take objectives. You will take way more damage than your opponent, but the key is to only give up some Ungors or a Hero to their hit hard hitting units. My normal list now is 4 Heroes (DB, 2 Shamans, 1 T shaman), 5x10 Ungors, 1x40 Raiders, 6x10 Bestigors, Depraved Drove, +1 CP, Gavespawn, comes out to 1990pts. The Taurus is cool and all but its never worth it for me, one of my main opponents is a IDK player (playing the somewhat meta list, lots of Eels, King, Soulscryer, etc..) and even with Hide Tide i don't care, i just play around it.  I use the Raiders as a way to pull units from objectives, b.c if they don't it'll just eat their 5-7 wound characters, even SCE ones are no match for their shooting, the Ungors are for zoning out units and taking a charge, Bestigors do damage. At least i have enough damage to fight Seraphon and Ogres/BCR without trying, 60 Bestigors is a lot to kill, b.c even if 1 unit lives in Gavepsawn they can do 8 attacks each and help them if you get the re-roll wounds spell off on them or the opponent an additional -1 to their saves. Against OBR, just zone them out as they have 0 board control.

B.c i'm a 1 drop army it makes it easier too, if i go first vs DoT they wont be able to win, but if they go first i have to deploy perfectly to make sure they cant Flamer me to death or multi charge 20 horrors into to much stuff turn 1 or i'll be way behind on board real estate.

Honestly, the army that gives me the most trouble is Skaven, tho the person i play against is one of the best players i know. The only other army i am scared of is a good CoS player, they have so many tools if a CoS is playing a tool box army (Shadow warriors, a few mages with +1 to cast, a couple tank units in TE for movement and saves buffs, along with 1 or 2 flying hard hitting melee units, its a real are play b.c they can shoot and move just as fast with melee. They do what i do but better).

I like to note, i haven't play against the new Orruk book yet, so IDK how that game would go at all.

EIDT:   I want to note, it also comes HEAVILY down to objectives/Missions, IMO there are a couple missions we just can't win. Knife to the heart for me is a very bad mission, but others like ones that are 6" from board edges means we can ambush/summon onto. So it really comes down to the mission more so than who you fight. 

Thanks for the input! I do think your list is a 2-drop btw right? Because of the T Shaman.

unfortunately I haven’t found the time to paint up 30 extra Raiders yet (I only have 10 for summoning or sometimes completing a battalions needs). 

I’m in much doubt on what list is the best my collection has to offer so if you ever have the time I would love to get some tips from you! Maybe via some direct messaging service?

I have played a lot of games (about 35) and only lost 5, but the players in my area decent at best so mostly I’m helping them instead of learning a lot myself.

If you don’t feel like it, no hard feelings :). Thanks again for the effort!

8 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Thanks for the input! I do think your list is a 2-drop btw right? Because of the T Shaman.

unfortunately I haven’t found the time to paint up 30 extra Raiders yet (I only have 10 for summoning or sometimes completing a battalions needs). 

I’m in much doubt on what list is the best my collection has to offer so if you ever have the time I would love to get some tips from you! Maybe via some direct messaging service?

I have played a lot of games (about 35) and only lost 5, but the players in my area decent at best so mostly I’m helping them instead of learning a lot myself.

If you don’t feel like it, no hard feelings :). Thanks again for the effort!

Oops it is a 2 Drop, i moved to a 2 drop b.c i couldnt get my spells off.  And now i'm going back to a 1 drop again with 3 shamans b.c DoT is a 1 drop, so sway that T shaman for a Shaman.

Sorry for the mix up.

I'm not a master of BoC but i just have a lot of play time, i get in games all the time and have the model range to test everything i want to test out, i'm up to something like 9k points in BoC now i think? And i play 6-7 games a month at least, at times even more. Last week i played 3 games, this week i'll play 2-3. But like i said, i'm not a master, i can not get some styles of armies to work at all, like Warherds (lots of Bullgors) just doesn't work for me at all, even in friendly games.

Edited by Maddpainting

2 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

Oops it is a 2 Drop, i moved to a 2 drop b.c i couldnt get my spells off.  And now i'm going back to a 1 drop again with 3 shamans b.c DoT is a 1 drop, so sway that T shaman for a Shaman.

Sorry for the mix up.

Okay! That’s room for an extra ungors unit or for an upgrade to Gors for all present Ungors units right?

well if you ever want to advice, I will listen!

2 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Okay! That’s room for an extra ungors unit or for an upgrade to Gors for all present Ungors units right?

well if you ever want to advice, I will listen!

Its room for Ungor unit, i'm just lazy and don't have 70 ungors so i get a triumph.  I really don't want to paint more Ungors honestly. And i might swap it to another hero at times like the Named one (Which makes it a 2 drop again). 

EDIT: its not another unit, its more, if you take another unit the Battalion breaks and its a 2+ drop.

Edited by Maddpainting

Cheers, found it!

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Army Mission: Invade
- Greatfray: Gavespawn

Leaders
Beastlord (90)
- General
-Command Trait: Unravelling Aura
-Artifact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
-Artifact: The Knowing Eye
Great-Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
40 x Ungors (200)
- Shortspears & Half-Shields
40 x Ungors (200)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)

Units
3 x Bullgors (140)
- Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (140)
- Great Axes
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
1 x Tuskgor Chariots (60)

Behemoths
Chaos Gargant (170)
Chaos Gargant (170)

Battalions
Desolating Beastherd (150)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs

Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 185

I like it but I think I would be tempted to take a big unit of Ungor raiders for some ranged threat.  Not sure about the Gargants vs the Ghorgans (cheaper too) and I am 50/50 on the chariots too.  I wonder what he had in his summoning pool.

15 minutes ago, Death1942 said:

Cheers, found it!

- Army Mission: Invade

Leaders
Beastlord (90)
- General
-Command Trait: Unravelling Aura
-Artifact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
-Artifact: The Knowing Eye
Great-Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
40 x Ungors (200)
40 x Ungors (200)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)

Units
3 x Bullgors (140)
- Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (140)
- Great Axes
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)

Behemoths
Chaos Gargant (170)
Chaos Gargant (170)

Battalions
Desolating Beastherd (150)

Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 185

I like it but I think I would be tempted to take a big unit of Ungor raiders for some ranged threat.  Not sure about the Gargants vs the Ghorgans (cheaper too) and I am 50/50 on the chariots too.  I wonder what he had in his summoning pool.

Wow! Incredible that he was able to place so highly with a double Gargant list! He must be a very good general.

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

5 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Wow! Incredible that he was able to place so highly with a double Gargant list! He must be a very good general.

How many participants were there? Not trying to be disrespectful by any means but #35 isn't exactly top tier. The list looks the kind of list I'd bring to have some fun and see how far I get rather than trying to win it all. 

3 hours ago, SevenXes said:

How many participants were there? Not trying to be disrespectful by any means but #35 isn't exactly top tier. The list looks the kind of list I'd bring to have some fun and see how far I get rather than trying to win it all. 

150 odd, I was desperate to see the highest placed lists in either tournament and arguably this guy did the best of the 8 or so Beasts lists across LVO and Cancon.  I think people are right in that a competitive player wouldn't bring Beasts and so the guys running beasts are not always the strongest players.  I am trying to nail down a decent beasts list to see if they can reliably hit 4-1 or higher in a tournament.

3 hours ago, SevenXes said:

LVO is a pretty big tournament. Obviously #35 isn't top tier, but I'm still impressed that he managed to pilot a list with two gargants to #35. I think that takes more skill than taking an optimized Petrifex  or Eternal Conflagration list to top 10.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 6:53 AM, Maddpainting said:

People that want to win don't want to play BoC, we are for sure able to go 4-1 IMO, but requires lists no one likes and if you wanted to go 4-1 or try to actually take 5-0, you just play something else.  You could also make it even easier and lose game one, now games 2-4 are much easier.

Having been to a couple GT's (for singles and doubles) and fighting the top players for the events twice now. It is possible.

This year for Adepticon tho i am playing CoS b.c i want to try and win instead of 3-2 average. But thats also b.c i don't want to let my team down for team, and my list is SO BIG, i don't have room for my BoC for singles (Its 18 120mm bases, plus 54 other models lol, takes up to much space).

What CoS army are you doing then?  All Hydras or all Steam Tanks?!

7 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

What CoS army are you doing then?  All Hydras or all Steam Tanks?!

Scourgerunner chariots with Hurricanum's 
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos_celestialhurricanum_eng.pdf

Edit: Totally only doing it to win team event lol. GW is going to fit them after this for sure. I wanted for the December points change first to make sure, then i bought them and painting them right now.

The are stupidly cheap, same price as ours but 10x better.
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos_scourgerunnerchariots_eng.pdf

I am given 2-3 units +1 to hit and to wound, 1 out of 3 are always +1 to hit, they are TE trait so +3" movement and +1 save turn 1, also they can Run and Shoot. (note that the Hurricanum only buffs models within, so the leaders are on the outside os i can git more in).

PS, and 40 Shadow warriors for solo event.

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmm, I wonder if there's a good way to make so many Tuskgor Chariots nearly as awesome as that?

Only way I could think of doing the +1 to hit would be the random grand Chaos alliance but with Brass Despoilers to get them Mark of Khorne with a Bloodsecrator for extra attacks.  And wouldn't be nearly as many Chariots either.  MEH

Edited by Lord Krungharr

I got the new box set and quickly painted up a unit of Skyfires for my beastmen.

So a new unit to try out , wow , they are so much better then all my old beasts.

I'm tempted to get some more to make some enlightened. But I struggle to keep up with the other armies , that seem so much better.

Here is my report where the Skyfires made their debut.

• Like 1

Hey folks, I'm looking to take my BoC to more tourneys and wanted to get some feedback on my list, was hoping this is the right place! I'm a veteran tourney player but not a meta chaser, I like to take my favorite factions and models and try to optimize them the best I can. I feel like this list is pretty solid but would like to discuss what possible holes may be in it 

2020-1-28_18-11-17.PNG

Sorry here's a better picture of the list:

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (150)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Grashrak Fellhoof (140)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Gors (70)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
5 x Grashrak's Despoilers (0)
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (360)
6 x Furies (100)
- Allies

Battalions
Depraved Drove (150)

Extra Command Point (50)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 100 / 400
Wounds: 147

6 hours ago, Grunt9101 said:

Sorry here's a better picture of the list:

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Tzaangor Shaman (150)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Grashrak Fellhoof (140)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Gors (70)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
5 x Grashrak's Despoilers (0)
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (360)
6 x Furies (100)
- Allies

Battalions
Depraved Drove (150)

Extra Command Point (50)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 100 / 400
Wounds: 147

Looking good, let us know how it goes. I've been wanting to test out Furies myself, i haven't yet (honestly its b.c they are with my warcry stuff and i'm to lazy to pull them out lol). So i'll be glad to hear how they played.

10 hours ago, Keith said:

I got the new box set and quickly painted up a unit of Skyfires for my beastmen.

So a new unit to try out , wow , they are so much better then all my old beasts.

I'm tempted to get some more to make some enlightened. But I struggle to keep up with the other armies , that seem so much better.

Here is my report where the Skyfires made their debut.

Looks very professional, i'll watch later when i'm painting.

So how are you guys finding the Furies and Raptorixes ?

I got a whole flock of the dino chickens ready to rock, but the fact that they do not have BoC keyword is grinding me gears every time.  For furies I still have my old harpies from Mantic, just need to re-base them accordingly (or just stuck them on the new bases as they are and fill out the rest with GS)

19 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I thought about furies but i like the old metal ones.  Decided to just wait for the mental cat and ally that to the beasts.  Maybe two for both headdresses.   Kinda also want to make chicken centigors with tzaangor upper parts and chicken bodies.    

Tzaangorix.... I like that! :D

though due to the chickens being in a "charging in" position it might be difficult to get a good angle on the upper torso.